Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Davincie posted:

i like tlou better than uc

It's a much better and more coherent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
People believing Square when they say FFVII is just "too big" and can't be done in a single game is the funniest thing considering The Witcher 3 exists.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

What the game industry considers to be a full size game though is extremely vague. Five hour single player is a full size game in this day and age.

They already used the XIII trilogy as an example, in that they're multiple 30-40 hour RPGs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they are of more consistent quality than FF13 was. In terms of scope, none of the games really capture it; they all basically have one, maybe two large field areas and the rest are kind of blocky narrow pathways (or just...straight loving lines, a la 13). Of course, technology is much better now as well, so expanding the feel of the game should be a bit easier.

I guess we'll see. There's a lot of excitement about this, and if the first real trailers showcase good stuff, Square will be printing money with this remake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

El Hefe posted:

People believing Square when they say FFVII is just "too big" and can't be done in a single game is the funniest thing considering The Witcher 3 exists.

Yeah, it's pretty funny considering how many modern games absolutely dwarf the scale of FF7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

They already used the XIII trilogy as an example, in that they're multiple 30-40 hour RPGs.

The quote wasn't using that to talk about the length, just to justify how S-E is splitting FFVII up as an episodic piece.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hefe posted:

Witcher 3 only has like three countries in but FF7 has an entire world.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They won't do it, but I kind of wish they'd attempt a world map like what you have in the original FFVII. I miss those in RPGs. Yeah, they'd be better off making the field and connecting areas actually distinct and cool to explore, but there's something kind of satisfying about trekking across a big overhead map with, in FFVII's case, exceedingly depressing music playing in the background.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They won't do it, but I kind of wish they'd attempt a world map like what you have in the original FFVII. I miss those in RPGs. Yeah, they'd be better off making the field and connecting areas actually distinct and cool to explore, but there's something kind of satisfying about trekking across a big overhead map with, in FFVII's case, exceedingly depressing music playing in the background.

Ni no Kuni had that and it was pretty cool and well done imho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FF7 has a lot less open space than the Witcher.

Not in the sense that it's smaller, but a lot more of the game takes place in interiors.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first game is most likely going to be GTA Midgar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

El Hefe posted:

Its not that FFVII itself is too big, its that people's expectations of it are. They could crank out FF7HD pretty quick but people wouldn't really be happy with that. Hence remaking the whole thing as a modern FFXV/Kingdom Hearts style game, which requires making everything way more detailed, and then on top of that adding even more to live up to fanboy dreams and hype.

I'm not sure Square Enix could deliver Witcher 3 itself anyways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FF7 makes slow games with bad combat all the time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Ni no Kuni had that and it was pretty cool and well done imho

One of my favorite things about that game. I liked it a lot more than most people did, it seems; I'm really excited for the sequel.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The only thing Square Enix can deliver are well done cutscenes and emo boys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hefe posted:

Good enough for me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Well that's the other half of the Witcher right there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

I want cool boss fights and weapons and summons and explosions that I make and don't just watch

I want to press a button and a god drat space dragon will materialize in high orbit and fired a doomsday beam smack down onto the head of this single human soldier to evaporate even the barest memory of him from the face of the planet because he had the gall to not die a turn sooner. And I want to get rewarded for this with lots of dinging sounds and a lot of numbers going up, because I really really like it when the numbers go up.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
We don't even get scene girls anymore, the shame.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was gonna say they could probably use FFXV's engine with some tweaks but after a quick search it seems like they won't.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sakurazuka posted:

The first game is most likely going to be GTA Midgar

That would be loving badass and I would buy it right away.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chernabog posted:

I was gonna say they could probably use FFXV's engine with some tweaks but after a quick search it seems like they won't.

Using Unreal 4 from the looks of it. Which is good because it means they aren't coding their own goddamn engine again which will take years to complete.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a source on that because it's the first I've heard of it.
UC3 also made it seem like some bad poo poo was going to happen eventually but it all ended up being a fake out.
Alternatively it's just going to end up being MGS 4.

Druckmann really wanted to kill off Elena in UC2 just because he felt the game "didn't have enough drama". So I believe it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ometeotl posted:

Druckmann really wanted to kill off Elena in UC2 just because he felt the game "didn't have enough drama". So I believe it.

I would be fine with this, Chloe is the better character anyway.

Elena is like a sociopathic April O'Neil.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a source on that because it's the first I've heard of it.
UC3 also made it seem like some bad poo poo was going to happen eventually but it all ended up being a fake out.
Alternatively it's just going to end up being MGS 4.
I'm no hero. Never was. Just hired do to some jewel thiefing.

*Drake takes giant bite out of donut before throwing it to the ground, squashing it under his feet*

Electromax
May 6, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was better than any of the RPGs they've made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Using Unreal 4 from the looks of it. Which is good because it means they aren't coding their own goddamn engine again which will take years to complete.

Remember when The White Engine was going to revolutionize gaming? :haw:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electromax posted:

I need Mankind Divided already. :/

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Electromax posted:

Yeah that one was really good, I got it with PS+ back when it wasn't complete poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

they wouldn't be coding their own engine from the ground up again for it if they used the ff15 one either. kinda weird that they seem to be using that engine for like one game

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

they wouldn't be coding their own engine from the ground up again for it if they used the ff15 one either. kinda weird that they seem to be using that engine for like one game

Yeah, that's what I think is kinda weird.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Remember when The White Engine was going to revolutionize gaming? :haw:

It gave us pretty corridors at least. And huge framedrops when doing anything that isn't pretty corridors.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because they probably spent a lot of money and years on it and didn't want to throw it away, but realized Unreal 4 is probably a better engine that's much quicker and easier to use. I think XIV uses a scaled down version of Luminous too so it won't be just XV using it but, judging from how poor the framerate has been in the Platinum Demo I'm not really too surprised they won't be using it for anything that isn't XV related from now on.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I prefer playing all my games at 5fps. Looks more epic. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...! posted:

I prefer playing all my games at 5fps. Looks more epic. :colbert:

You must love the first Star Fox

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Electromax posted:

Square Enix published the game, they didn't MAKE it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Technically they did, since Square-Enix own Eidos Montreal. They're not just the publisher.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Night Blade posted:

Nintendo didn't make Metroid Prime they just published it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Technically they did, since Square-Enix own Eidos Montreal. They're not just the publisher.

For the sake of clarity, it's easier to just say Eidos Montreal.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo didn't make Metroid Prime they just published it

Nintendo directly supervised work and Miyamoto was on-sight at times to give the developers ideas. He's the one who suggested a first person mode and came up with the idea for the visors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nintendo directly supervised work and Miyamoto was on-sight at times to give the developers ideas. He's the one who suggested a first person mode and came up with the idea for the visors.

I was being facetious

• Locked thread