Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let's be real it was destined to be poo poo, making it less based on the source might make it better.

So the Mark Millar policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Medullah posted:

As long as they get Simon Pegg then the circle will be complete

Doesn't the main "regular" character in The Boys look like a cross between Simon Pegg and Adam Savage in the first place?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

An adaptation of The Boys is being developed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg for Cinemax

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-boy..._medium=twitter

Yawn. Let me know when the Hitman series is announced.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't the main "regular" character in The Boys look like a cross between Simon Pegg and Adam Savage in the first place?

He's literally based in appearance on Simon Pegs. Ennis explicitly said as much.

I do not expect much from this series but hey, maybe we'll at least get video versions of Frenchie's 'backstory'.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RandallODim posted:

He's literally based in appearance on Simon Pegs. Ennis explicitly said as much.

I do not expect much from this series but hey, maybe we'll at least get video versions of Frenchie's 'backstory'.

And I believe when they were talking about doing a Boys movie he was willing to do the part.

Google seems to confirm

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Boys could work pretty well as a TV series with someone toning it down a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

Boys could work pretty well as a TV series with someone toning it down a bit.

Have you seen Banshee? They won't have to tone down poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean tone down the Ennis-ness

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I mean tone down the Ennis-ness

Have you watched Banshee?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dacap posted:

An adaptation of The Boys is being developed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg for Cinemax

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-boy..._medium=twitter

Comic book stuff aside, according to that article they're doing a pilot for Roadside Picnic too. It's for SyFy though, so who knows how that's gonna turn out. I haven't watched anything on SyFy in a long time, have they done anything good lately?

E: For anyone who doesn't know, Roadside Picnic is the book that inspired both Tarkovsky's "Stalker" and the video games of the same name.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 7, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Mentalizer posted:

Comic book stuff aside, according to that article they're doing a pilot for Roadside Picnic too. It's for SyFy though, so who knows how that's gonna turn out. I haven't watched anything on SyFy in a long time, have they done anything good lately?

sure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Mentalizer posted:

Dark Matter, Killjoys and the Magicians are all pretty enjoyable. I have yet to watch Wynonna Earp but I am friends with the creator and have high hopes.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Rhyno posted:

Dark Matter, Killjoys and the Magicians are all pretty enjoyable. I have yet to watch Wynonna Earp but I am friends with the creator and have high hopes.

Oh cool, I've been meaning to watch Dark Matter, didn't realize it was a SyFy show. Alright, so I'll be cautiously optimistic on this one.

E:
I gotta give the Backstreet and NSYNC guys credit, at least they have a good sense of humor about being part of such a ridiculous musical legacy. The machine behind that kind of career tends to thoroughly consume bright and promising young pop stars, leaving behind a trail of bitter, humorless old men and women who 'used to be someone'.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

Have you watched Banshee?

It's on my list!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

It's on my list!

Once you do you'll realize they won't have to tone anything down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Then I guess it'll be borderline unwatchable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Every Arrow episode feels like a filler episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, I guess you're not up to date yet then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I was only half right when I predicted that there were one too many alive Lances and Capt. Lance was a dead man walking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cloak and Dagger show greenlit on Freeform(ABC Family)

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marvel-cloak-and-dagger-freeform-series-1201747907/

ABC family somehow manages to out CW the CW so this should be interesting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hell yeah, Cloak and Dagger.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, I guess you're not up to date yet then.
I am, but the episode could not have been more boring if it tried. I almost skipped past it, because I keep fast-forwarding through Arrow. But I couldn't care less; the plot was so contrived. :(

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dexo posted:

Freeform

The new name for ABC Family??

(if you've watched even 5 minutes of ABC Family in the last 3 months you get this joke)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dexo posted:

Cloak and Dagger show greenlit on Freeform(ABC Family)

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marvel-cloak-and-dagger-freeform-series-1201747907/

ABC family somehow manages to out CW the CW so this should be interesting.

Runaways next?

I hope this show is as unabashedly comic-booky as Flash and Supergirl. But they'll probably just be wearing street clothes that vaguely evoke their costumes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Runaways next?

I hope this show is as unabashedly comic-booky as Flash and Supergirl. But they'll probably just be wearing street clothes that vaguely evoke their costumes.

Well the guy's name is Cloak, so I don't know how much you can actually deviate from him wearing, you know, a cloak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In every depiction the cloak pretty much is his power too. I don't know if he necessarily has to use it to activate his portals or whatever they are, but he always does.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
C&D sounds like a teen soap opera, so I am not too excited for it. It, in theory, could be a great show, but I have little faith in the Marvel TV department (outside of Netflix) to deliver anything meaningful. Especially when the best show they did is still up in the air for renewal and they couldn't get many people to watch it. (Agent Carter :smithicide: )

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Mentalizer posted:

I haven't watched anything on SyFy in a long time, have they done anything good lately?

The Expanse was really good IMO. Slow start but every episode is a bit better than the last.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Mentalizer posted:

I haven't watched anything on SyFy in a long time, have they done anything good lately?
I liked it when Tiffany and Debbie Gibson got into a fist-fight.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

The Expanse was really good IMO. Slow start but every episode is a bit better than the last.

The Expanse is super good.

I also enjoyed Syfy's Helix, and Z Nation is a great show. I hear 12 Monkeys is cool but haven't watched it. Ascension was a neat miniseries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

12 Monkeys has a much better back half than front half but if you're a massive Gilliam/12 Monkeys fan you ain't gonna like it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

12 Monkeys has a much better back half than front half but if you're a massive Gilliam/12 Monkeys fan you ain't gonna like it.

Why do you say that? I loved the 12 Monkeys movie, but I'm not tied to the canon or anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Why do you say that? I loved the 12 Monkeys movie, but I'm not tied to the canon or anything.

I loved it too, but I mean people who liked it for the tight structure or the Gillian surreality. For example, the future in the movie is this weird, alien body horror nightmare but in the show it's just a standard post-apoc "wasteland".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MacheteZombie posted:

The Expanse is super good.

I also enjoyed Syfy's Helix, and Z Nation is a great show. I hear 12 Monkeys is cool but haven't watched it. Ascension was a neat miniseries.

I'll second Z Nation. It is just a fun show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I loved it too, but I mean people who liked it for the tight structure or the Gillian surreality. For example, the future in the movie is this weird, alien body horror nightmare but in the show it's just a standard post-apoc "wasteland".

Oh. Hmm. The vague future shown as this bizarre prison was pretty neat. How often is the future used?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'll second Z Nation. It is just a fun show.

I was really hesitant to start it out of fear for The Walking Dead, but it's completely different and embraces the inherent silliness of the zombie apocalypse so well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cloak and Dagger finally gets the greenlight. I am so happy right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Cloak and Dagger finally gets the greenlight. I am so happy right now.

Aimed at a tween audience though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that would be almost every Cloak and Dagger story ever.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Aimed at a tween audience though.

So the CW with less melodrama? Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Heathen posted:

So the CW with less melodrama? Sold.

Lol

Turn on ABC family and watch till the first commercial break. Dexo accurately described them as a network that "manages to out CW the CW".