Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Zachack posted:

That's not what uncanny valley means, as the person wandering around presumably would be indistinguishable from the original rather than very close but just off enough to cause unease.

There are echoes of the uncanny valley in the idea that you can look at a replica of your dead sister and find yourself disturbed by the knowledge that sh'es only a replica rather than the original.

quote:

The whole argument against sister cloning comes across as a fetishism of authenticity or religious fervor. If the only way to tell the difference is to be told which is the original then authenticity loses all meaning to the observer.

Ah yes. It is OK to be tricked, because you do not know you are being tricked while you are being tricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Peta posted:

Oh no, I'm aiming for the opposite. They'd wake up in identical rooms, be exposed to identical stimuli, etc. Better yet, they're both suspended in sleep until Oh dear me makes his choice. While I agree with Who What Now when he talks about the technical significance of even infinitesimal differences post-replication, my point is more about "authenticity" (I'm not sure if that word captures either the concept or the tone that I'm striving for).

Okay but we still have this issue where you think this concept of 'authenticity' is inherently significant. For half of the thread, object identity is a set of information about the configuration of the object's constituent parts - not something carried by or specific to those constituent parts themselves.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just quantum it, problem solved.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

The majority of the first half of this post (which I assume is at least partially directed towards me) is largely just a difference in definition. And the short response to this is that I don't think the definition of "me" that you laid out is the least bit useful for this type of discussion. And, actually, calling it "me" or "I" or "you" is confusing, so let's just settle on "self" for a useful shorthand, yes?

For this discussion, I think the concept of "self" is most usefully described as* "the accumulation of memories and the current brain state possessed by your physical brain". This, to me, works because it is a two-part definition, and the two parts are vital to this discussion. First is "the accumulation of memories", which is basically the sum total of your lived experiences up until the current present. The second part, "the current brain state" is the "self" reacting to the external stimuli you're experiencing. Ergo, even if the former part, "the accumulation of memories", is literally identical for two individuals if the second part is not then they are considered to be unique and separate. And the only way to have identical "brain states" is to occupy identical points in space-time, otherwise even being a single nano-meter to the left would give you a fundamentally different "brain state", even if the difference would be normally considered negligible.

*I have used a lot of shorthand here, and we can hopefully suss this out later, but I hope this explanation at least gives some sort of groundwork we can work with. It makes sense to me, at least.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

If you don't understand, you just need to say so and I'll gladly use smaller words for you.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

If you don't understand, you just need to say so and I'll gladly use smaller words for you.

It's perfectly clear that you're rigging things from the start by defining things so they'll do what you want them to.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

Okay but we still have this issue where you think this concept of 'authenticity' is inherently significant. For half of the thread, object identity is a set of information about the configuration of the object's constituent parts - not something carried by or specific to those constituent parts themselves.

I think "authenticity" is a decent shorthand for the idea that people either endure or perdure through time. I think perdurantism in particular is potentially a dagger blow to those who think originals and replicas are totally interchangeable.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

The Belgian posted:

It's perfectly clear that you're rigging things from the start by defining things so they'll do what you want them to.

You should present alternative definitions.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Peta posted:

There are echoes of the uncanny valley in the idea that you can look at a replica of your dead sister and find yourself disturbed by the knowledge that sh'es only a replica rather than the original.
That's like saying using a counterfeit purse is the uncanny valley, it renders the term pointlessly overly general. And it doesn't answer why to the outside observer that difference would matter, unless you're dancing around claiming that the clone wouldn't have a soul or similar.

quote:

Ah yes. It is OK to be tricked, because you do not know you are being tricked while you are being tricked.
If the outcome and the method are the same then yes it is perfectly fine. If I say a perfectly round ball bearing will operate a machine for 5 years, and then I use a ball bearing that for any reason is not perfectly round, regardless of me being aware or not of that lack of roundness when using it, and that machine operates for 5 years, then that ball bearing met the condition of being perfectly round to an outside observer.

In the clone scenario it's simple to envision a method where knowledge of which is the original is destroyed, so I'm not even sure how that becomes a trick outside of attempting negative framing. Both then become clones and originals.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

To be clear, I was saying "which is original and which is the copy" would be irrelevant to Oh dear me, since the sister-entities are both the same set of thoughts/memories/opinions and therefore, as far as I think Oh dear me is concerned, the same person.

You seem to be suggesting these perfect duplicates would immediately become different upon awaking in two separate rooms, since they're now experiencing different thoughts/memories/opinions, and this then retroactively makes the duplication imperfect. They're different because they're now different somehow translates into them being always, essentially, different, even though at one point they were identical.

I really enjoyed this season of Farscape.

But they aren't the same set of thoughts because their space-time world-lines diverge.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Peta posted:

I mean, I was trying to tease out the confession of a preference for authenticity, all other things being equal, were he forced to make a choice.

Yes, we know, but the whole point is that I haven't got such a preference. You seem to find that either inconceivable or horrifying, but for me the horrifying thing would be rejecting my sister because she was composed of molecules I hadn't seen before. The argument would go better if we could quash our incredulous horror and accept that we do, genuinely, disagree.

wateroverfire posted:

Does that seem like a fair starting point?

To be honest it seems like a terrible muddling of concepts: I could easily agree with half of each statement.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

But they aren't the same set of thoughts because their space-time world-lines diverge.

As far as I am concerned 2+2=4 is the same thought, whenever and wherever it is had.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

As far as I am concerned 2+2=4 is the same thought, whenever and wherever it is had.

Yeah but that's not how it works, and also not quite what I meant. If you have two states that are initially identical, but then expose them to different conditions, then they will not be the same anymore.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you have two states that are initially identical, but then expose them to different conditions, then they will not be the same anymore.

Of course: no one disputes this. But what of it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Of course: no one disputes this. But what of it?

It means they're not the same thoughts, so they aren't the same person.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

It means they're not the same thoughts, so they aren't the same person.

I will be having different thoughts in two minutes time. Yet I will be the same person.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

I will be having different thoughts in two minutes time. Yet I will be the same person.

Yes but not because you had those two thoughts.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

You can't have two of the same person. I'm not saying which is which because I don't know, but they are distinguishable.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Peta posted:

Yes but not because you had those two thoughts.

Of course not. Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Of course not. Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

I was just nitpicking a specific point.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can't have two of the same person. I'm not saying which is which because I don't know, but they are distinguishable.

That's just an assertion about a word. I suspect we wouldn't want to call two different bodies the same person, because it would be inconvenient; we'd want some way to distinguish them, in order to interact. But if we decided to call them the same person but in two natures, or some such thing, that would be entirely legitimate - as it would in the transportation case if we chose to call the clone the same person as the original. These word choices obviously reflect our opinions on whether anything of importance would have been lost, but they cannot change them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

That's just an assertion about a word. I suspect we wouldn't want to call two different bodies the same person, because it would be inconvenient; we'd want some way to distinguish them, in order to interact. But if we decided to call them the same person but in two natures, or some such thing, that would be entirely legitimate - as it would in the transportation case if we chose to call the clone the same person as the original. These word choices obviously reflect our opinions on whether anything of importance would have been lost, but they cannot change them.

I guess there's not much to the uniqueness of "self" beyond the perspective of that "self".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

guys.... this will have you scratching your heads for a long time......... what if you are vaporized.... and AFTER that your clone is made

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if you weren't cloned at all, but just thought you were..............

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Here's another one

A doctor man officially tells you that your sister underwent the teleportation process. you know in your heart of hearts now, that this isnt your sister at all, but a gross amalgamation of atoms that superficially resembles her, and you murder her to rid the world of the abomination. But here's the twist, the doctor man was actually the secret antagonist, and wanted you to murder your sister, and actually, YOU were the clone. How about that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What are the ethical ramifications of using teleportation technology to vaporize a baby and reconstruct it to avoid having to do an invasive caesarean section?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Peta posted:

You're devaluing numerical identity and interpersonal history and insisting that your sister is replaceable.

Not caught up with the thread yet, but: your notion of "numerical identity" doesn't seem to be real. As in, it's not a thing that physics as we understand it keeps track of.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Also people need to be clearer about whether they're talking about a (destructive) teleporter or a cloning machine.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GlyphGryph posted:

What? This seems like you want it to follow from your previous argument but I'm not in any way understanding the supposed connection,.

I'm saying that my accomplishments only have value to me if I can experience them. It's my awareness of my existence that I value, not just existence itself. I don't care at all if a clone that's indistinguishable from "me" goes on to accomplish great things, except in the very limited sense of it being a slightly better outcome than me simply being dead.

And just to be extra clear, I'm not making an argument of "me"ness. A perfect clone would have just as much of a right to my life as I do, and I don't think "who came first?" is even a meaningful question if we're talking about absolutely perfect clones. The issue is entirely down to consciousness/self-awareness, and the fact that I'm not at all interested in having mine terminated.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Can the arguments against teleportation also be used to support abortion? I think so

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Who/what is "me"?

What is the nature of the self?

What is it?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Who/what is "me"?

What is it?

Nobody knows for sure, and the only people who care about it are philosophy people, and they're pretty useless in general.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*thinks real hard about phuilosophy* Actually, your idiot opinion is the wrong one, and bad, and my idiot opinion is correc.t

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Control Volume posted:

*thinks real hard about phuilosophy* Actually, your idiot opinion is the wrong one, and bad, and my idiot opinion is correc.t

All right, we get it: You're a funny guy. Now that we know this, you don't have to post anymore :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Peta posted:

All right, we get it: You're a funny guy. Now that we know this, you don't have to post anymore :)

If you think about it, does Star Trek implicitly endorse murder?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Control Volume posted:

If you think about it, does Star Trek implicitly endorse murder?

Actually, I wanted you to keep posting all along. Don't stop ...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Who/what is "me"?

What is it?

I think that pondering these questions can lead to a greater sense of connection with the world. Like I wanna say enlightenment basically. Thinking about those things and their relationship with the world, other people, and stuff, is good for you. Especially if you talk about it with people.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Peta posted:

Actually, I wanted you to keep posting all along. Don't stop ...

What if the memory banks of the modern cyberbrain go down to a hardware failure, and you are forced to use a backup, but then the memory banks are restored and the memories uploaded into your consciousness, are you still you, or a cyber clone, or both?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Dzhay posted:

Not caught up with the thread yet, but: your notion of "numerical identity" doesn't seem to be real. As in, it's not a thing that physics as we understand it keeps track of.

If you care about actual physics, you can just invoke the no-cloning and no-teleportation theorems to render the question void and be done with things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Control Volume posted:

What if the memory banks of the modern cyberbrain go down to a hardware failure, and you are forced to use a backup, but then the memory banks are restored and the memories uploaded into your consciousness, are you still you, or a cyber clone, or both?

This is actually an extremely neat one that is somewhat less nightmarish than "what if sleeping causes the same discontinuity?".

I'm not sure I have a decent answer, but it's a darn interesting question. What I personally care about is continuity of experience, which theoretically lends itself to some very weird scenarios that involve mindclones that aren't me until they're hooked back up to my meathead, whereupon they are me.

• Locked thread