Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
that's every part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please friends, do not shitpost at each other.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Maybe just wait until I get to the actual scene in question, which isn't gonna be for a long while.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I was kidding.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i guess i missed the chance to vote for flavio but i'll post anyways because he's so adorable :syoon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 12: Celebrations

Time to turn in our mission.

Tell me, did you find what it was that you sought?

This is the Dynamo Stone.
Ah... is that the Dynamo Stone? I've heard tales of it, but to see its beauty up close... I'm relieved to hear that you found what you needed. We've also received one other report... You have rescued Beowulf, one of High Lagaard's most famed guilds... This is a momentous accomplishment! I think it rather unfortunate that your time in our nation will be limited. Why, I can scarcely believe that it was only the other day that you formed a guild.

It was only natural.
Hoho! Well spoken. I envy the Midgard Library their reliable young envoys! The Grand Duchy has a reward in honor of your hard work, Guild Guild.

Ooh, that's a nice bit of money.

And Knight gains a level.

I hope that you can now delve further into Ginnungagap and perform your ritual, Princess. As for the rest of you, please help her see her duty through.

Let's talk with him.

I will be praying that you may complete your duties safely.

We can finally get back to our main task.
Indeed. We must do all we can to complete the ritual, and find the truth behind this affliction of Knight's.

Whoa, it's the barkeep... Didn't expect to run into you here.
I'm just out to get some supplies! Yeh know, I gotta check the ingredients myself to see if they're actually any good or not. Hey, Knight. Yeh much of a meat-eater?

Eh, it's okay.
Aw, c'mon now. Put some feelin' into it... When yeh're feeling like that... all yeh gotta do is eat a good slab of meat!

'Course, 'course! I wouldn't forget yeh. Yeh're always scarfin' down that stuff! Well, let's head over to my place then!
Oh, come on. *sigh* What a pain... Thought we were supposed to be heading to Ginnungagap. Right, kid?
Oh, but... I think this is fine, don't you?
I think we deserve a little celebration after soundly trouncing the Chimaera.
If you're okay with it, Arianna, then there's no reason for us to refuse.
Hey, barkeep! Meat's good with me, too!
Haw, awright then! C'mon, follow me!
Yeah!

Welp, my condolences. Probably best if you just give up and head on after them.

And hey, Brucke! I brought yer savior with me.

Hm? Savior...? Oh--you're from Guild!
Yeh remember him, right? It's the guard that was on patrol duty. He's all healed up now, so we were havin' a celebration. Hey, don't yeh have something to say to them?
I-I was all panicked at the time, so I couldn't give you guys a proper thanks. But... I'm really grateful for your help. If it weren't for you, I would be dead right now.

You don't need to thank us.
You don't have to be so modest. I mean, you did save my life, after all! Oh, by the way... Were you able to find the Dynamo Stone?
Yes! We were able to acquire one. So... will the bridge move if we take this there?
Well, there are lots of ways that moving bridges are operated... but around here, the Dynamo Stone is your best bet. If the bridge already has a Dynamo Stone set, but doesn't move, it probably means the stone was too old. So if you take out the old one and replace it with a new one, it should be fully operational again! To think, a moving bridge in an ancient ruin... I wish I was able to see it! I'm breathless just imagining it!
O-Oh... is that so?
Of course! There's nothing in this world more serene, more beautiful than the humble bridge!
E-Excuse me...?

...In any case, if you ever have any questions about bridges, feel free to come ask me about it. I'll do everything I can to help out!

Oh, Cass. :allears:

...Anyhow. From what I heard, not only did yeh save the guards, yeh saved the Beowulf duo too. Hrothgar mentioned how grateful he was to yeh lot. ...Ain't a whole lot of people who can save others in a dangerous place like the Labyrinth, yeh know. It ain't a laughing matter if yeh're the ones that end up dead 'cause yeh tried to save someone. Most folks are too busy keeping themselves alive. That's the kind of place it is. ...That's why I'm glad to know that there're guilds like yeh out there too. Alright then! Everything's on the house today. Eat anything yeh want!

The Labyrinth is really dangerous, and we're always risking our lives when we go in... ...But when we come back alive, and get to see the people that we saved...
I dunno. Makes me feel... good.

It's not a bad feeling.
Oh, drop the 'cool' act already!
...Heh heh.
...... It is a pity though...
What is?
We've been accepted into this city as the Guild Guild, but once the ritual is over, I will have to leave.
Oh... yeah. You're right.
You don't want to go back, Ms. Princess? Then just don't go back.
If only I could do that... But unfortunately, I doubt that would be possible.
...Oh.
Hey, why don't we save all this gloomy talk for later. We're here to eat! Celebrate! Right?
Food!
...And just like that, your appetite's back. It's enough to make this old man jealous.

And the scene ends. Let's see what Cass has to say now.

Come on now, hurry! If the others hear I'm playing favorites, then everybody and their dog's gonna want one.

The most expensive thing you got.
What!? Y-Yeh...! Nngh, yeh don't miss a chance, do yeh! Taking advantage of others' generosity... Th-The student has become the master. Dammit!
H-Hey. So what exactly did we do? Cass acting all nice out of the blue like this... I dunno, doesn't it feel weird?
... Yeh lot brought Hrothgar back, didn't yeh. Yeh know, when Beowulf first started out, I was the one to give a toast... and they've had countless celebrations at my place. ...I even had a glass ready that day he came back. Didn't have a single tear in his eye... Gah! The hell are yeh making me say!? Shut up and eat! Drink! Enjoy, dammit!

I heard you saved an explorer from the Labyrinth! You lovelies really are amazing! Not only a guard, but now you've saved an explorer... You kids really are all heart!

We only did what was natural.
It might come naturally to you, but there are plenty of people who couldn't do the same, you know? ...I've heard sad stories about how some explorers had to abandon their friends to survive. I know it can't be helped, but... It warms my heart to know that there are kids like you out there too.

Quona has the exact same dialogue as she does in Classic.

Most of the NPCs don't have more than one portrait, but sometimes the game will freeze their blink animations so that they could at least have an eyes closed version.

When I first started working here, my dad told me that. I've never seen him look more grim than when he said those words... But... I guess it happens the other way around sometimes, too! I thought I'd never see them again, but thanks to you... Thank you... thank you so much for saving the members of Guild Beowulf!

I hear a lot of stories of guilds... not making it back. Not often you hear about things going the other way around. It's... very good news.

While we're here, let's cook the rest of the 1st Stratum food.

Sorry to keep you waiting. It's done.
Oh, we could hardly... wait?
Um, you know, this... Let me ask just in case. ...What is this?
Hm? I thought I told you the name before. It's a butterfly tsukudani.
...It was a bit unexpected to have the name reflect the dish in its entirety.
But the glaze is pretty. Shiny, crispy, tasty-looking.
Oh? You have good eyes, Chloe. Cooking something of this size to be evenly amber all around is the key to Apicius's recipe.

It looks hard to eat.
You don't have to worry. Apicius made this recipe with that in mind. I'll show you how to eat it. First, cut the body into manageable sizes... Now there, try it out.

It might be good.
Not “might"; it WILL be good. I made it myself, after all. Well, just eat and see. First, you cut the body into manageable sizes... Now there, try it out.

I'd prefer a different ingredient.
You don't get it. This technique only works with the shape of the butterfly. It wouldn't work with other ingredients.
...Why did you put so much effort into trying to cook this, Apicius...?
You guys are really picky, aren't you? Give it a try and you'll see.
First, you cut the body into manageable sizes... Now there, try it out.

The choices merge here.

Thanks, but no thanks.
...Do you not trust my skill?

This is a but thou must.

A man must have courage!
Good.

...... ......! It might not fit everyone, but the refreshing taste of the venomfly matches with the sweet, salty flavoring!

It's delicious!
R-Really...?

Eat it yourself.
Y-You're not trying to fool me, are you!?

Dialogue merges here.

It's not anything to be up in arms about. This size might be rare, but there are regions that eat insects.
W-Well, I've heard about that before back at Midgard... but seeing it for the first time is something else.
I do agree... Seeing this has surprised me a bit--No, quite a lot.
I know, right!?

Regina, you fool! Now she lusts for the blood of all animals!

THAT'S what you're surprised about!?
I get you can eat the body, but what about the wings? Looks hard to eat.
You sprinkle them over rice. ...See? Like this.
My, that is quite pretty. And the flavoring seems like it would go well with rice!
You guys aren't reluctant at all...

I'm with you, Flavio.
Yeah, huh... We never had something like this at Midgard, huh...?

Open up a bit, Flavio.
Am I the odd one out...?

Dialogue merges here.

I'll add this to the menu, so feel free to order it whenever you feel like it.

This food doubles Poison damage. Too bad the Story party doesn't have any way of inflicting that at the moment.

Sorry to keep you waiting. I've finished it.
Ooh, I eat cartilage a lot at bars, but this one has a different texture to it.
...Hey, I didn't say you can eat it yet. Keep your hands out of the dish.
Hm? It's gonna be eaten anyway, so what's the big deal?
That's not the point. This is a question of manners!
Wh-What should we do, Sir Knight? At this rate, they're going to get into an argument...

Let's calm Bertrand down.

Yeah, yeah, the old man's wrong. You happy, now?
...What's with this man? This attitude at this age... How did he get through life?

Let's calm Regina down.

Did I say anything that was wrong? He's acting like this because you pamper him.

Let's just eat.
Mm... You're right. The food'll get cold at this rate.

Dialogue merges here.

...You're too harsh on Trand. He may be rude, but it's just because he's too old to fix it.
That's not helping! Ugh, just don't say anything!
A-Anyway! I'm starting to get hungry now...*wink* *wink*
This deep-fried meat... It is called “karaage"? Do we squeeze this citrus and eat it?

Let's squeeze the lemon.

!
Mr. Sword, that's evil. The crunchiness is now soggy.
Come on, that doesn't matter anyway.
That doesn't matter doesn't matter. It's a very important matter.
Dame Chloe is so emphatic about this... It must truly be a grave matter.
Er, no, it's really nothing at all.
These over here don't have any juice on them, Chloe, so eat them.

Don't squeeze that lemon.
Yeah, the karaage will get soggy, so we don't need that.
You think? I like the refreshing taste it gives.
That's evil.
...I see this is a deeply rooted debate.
They just can't understand each other because the subject's so stupid. That's all.
I see... That is quite deep!

Dialogue merges here.

Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like it.

Regular attacks are now imbued with the Volt element on the first turn. This is an utterly useless effect.

Sorry to keep you waiting. It's done. ...But the MVP this time is her.
Yes! I worked very hard to make it.
Now everyone, please eat.
Yokan, huh... I've never seen one before. Is it sweet?
Well, it does look delicious! I like walnuts, after all.
Sir Knight, please have some as well.

I can't wait to eat!

...The sweetness is balanced with the saltiness of the walnuts. However... you should pair it with some bitter tea.

It's delicious.
I'm glad you like it...!
Hmph, it's only natural. I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.

It's okay.
So I need to train more? ...I'll do my best!
That's the spirit, Arianna. Making picky eaters enjoy your food is one of the charms of being a chef.
I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.

Sir Knight? Did it... um, not suit your tastes...?
But it's so good. Chloe will eat Mr. Sword's then. Any objections?
...I see. Um, if it is too much for you to eat, please give it to Dame Chloe then...
So everyone has different tastes... Well, it's not my place to tell you what you like. I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.

Now a different skit occurs if you choose the other option at the first choice,

I'm not a fan of sweets...
Huh... You do not like sweet things?
Very well! If you pour this sauce on it, it will no longer be sweet, so you can eat that!
H-Hey! He's not going to eat that either, so stop it!
But it might turn out to be delicious.
Listen, Arianna. Pouring tomato sauce on a yokan will not make it better!
Ack... Just thinking about it makes my stomach cringe.
I'll add the PLAIN yokan to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.

The rate of Grimoire Chances occurring is multiplied by 1.5 while this food is in effect. Handy if you want to grind for Grimoires and don't have easy access to a specific food.

...! Meat, simmering. Simmering, meat!
...You really do sink your teeth into things regarding meat, huh?
What are you saying, Mr. Bow? What am I supposed to sink my teeth into if it's not meat?

Exactly.
Chloe don't mistake meat.
*sigh* When did she become such a meat fanatic?

Sink them into vegetables, too.

Hey, don't ignore him. Your mother told you the same thing, right? *sigh* When did she become such a meat fanatic?

Dialogue merges here.

A perfectly unbalanced diet, huh. Well, in that case...
Listen up, Chloe. The true worth of this hotpot is not in the meat, but in the vegetables.
!?
Those who don't eat the vegetables are unworthy of this pot.

But they're still vegetables.
Yes, they're still vegetables, but they have their own strengths. You just don't know them.

Then I'm worthy.
Knight has spoken. Chloe, how about you?

Dialogue merges here.

...... ...I'll become worthy of this pot.
Good.
...Wow. Chloe followed orders.
Dame Regina, you're incredible!
I'll add this to the menu, so when she is worthy, go ahead and order it.

Okay, it's not a completely terrible effect, but it's really situational and pretty much outclassed by all the good food effects.

My, this is quite unique. The side dish is sitting directly on the rice?
A donburi is what they call it. The pub has a few too, remember?
...But wouldn't the taste of the side dishes mix with the taste of the rice?
Oh, I get it now! You're supposed to eat just the food on the top first!

Eat how you like to.
How I like...? Is there another way to eat this?
It's not a dish you need to be very proper for. Just as Knight says, eat whatever way floats your boat.

You eat it with the rice.
...? Is that not improper table manners?
It's not a dish you need to be very proper for.
Well, it's probably best to eat in whichever way you like.

Dialogue merges here.

That's right. Eat how you like, when you like. That's the best.
I want to eat this now... *nom* *nom* ...So I'm eating... *nom* *nom* ...first.
Don't try to justify pre-meal snacking! Have the least of manners!
Wh-What is correct...?
Somewhere down the middle...?
*sigh* I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you want.
Please no snacking then.

This increases your party's resistance to Poison by 80%. It's very handy for the Chimaera if you're having trouble with it's Poison attack.

Ooh, that smells good.
...Hm? But was there anything this color among the ingredients we handed over?
Drying the giant bud and extracting the flavor makes this color.
Huh!? This... is from that smelly monster!? But, it's not smelly!
It's actually refreshing. I want to smell it forever...
After washing it with salt water and drying it, wrapping it with the skin of sugar beets gives it this scent.
...I was wary about it too, at first, but Apicius really was amazing.
I wonder how he thought about changing the smell...?

Trial and error.
...You may be right. He is called genius, but it is most likely an answer he reached through hard work.

Genius inspiration.
...Inspiration, huh? It is true that you can't reach new heights without it.

Whatever, it's just good.
What do you mean “whatever." There's a better way to put it, you know...
But thinking about it, the process of cooking may not be important to those on the eating end.

Dialogue merges here.

Well, enough with the complex talk. Can I get another cup? I'm thirsty.
That'll be extra. I'll add it to the menu, so order it there.
Tch, don't be such a spoilsport.

Increases the party's resistance to Blind by 80%. It'll be handy for a few fights.

That's all the restaurant skits for this Stratum.

...That monster had claimed the lives of so many explorers. Many survivors sought revenge, but disappeared in the Labyrinth. You've finally put an end to the whole wretched cycle of events... I give you my thanks in place of the fallen. Well done, Guild.

And time to go up to the 2nd Stratum.

Everywhere you look is painted a vibrant red... Yet no two shades are alike. The exquisite gradation of colors within the trees is overwhelming, and you pause to take it in.

This is completely different from the last floor! What in the world's going on here?
It just must be that kind of place.
That's not an explanation!
The temperature, the humidity... even the air is different. I can see why the Midgard Library wanted to investigate.
Interesting. Very interesting. Knight, can we hurry and go?

Wait, something's off...

Once more, please.
Can we hurry and go?

No, that wasn't it.

You tell the black-robed girl that wasn't the part you wanted to hear repeated, and she speaks once more, puzzled.

...Knight?

AHA!

You indeed heard correctly; Chloe used your name when addressing you. If memory serves, this is the first time that the black-robed girl has called you by your name!

Whoa, you finally learned someone's name. You always did have a problem with remembering those...
I'm just not interested. Use their name, don't use it, it doesn't matter.
Still... you remembered this time, no?
You're making a big deal over nothing. Don't get so excited.

The black-robed girl quickly looks away and pointedly walks on ahead.

Let's hurry up and go. You too, Flavio and Arianna. Come on.
Right away!
I-It feels a little weird now, not being called 'Mr. Bow'...

You watch the rest of the guild follow the black-robed girl before taking your own first steps into the unknown Stratum.

It's hazy, but... something's rising up.

The curious object before you seems to be composed of beautiful ribbons of light streaming up to the heavens. What could it possibly be...? As you gaze transfixed at the light, the black-robed girl wanders toward it!

Dame Chloe!? You must stay back! It may be dangerous!
We'll know that if we touch it.
I see... That is true, I suppose.

All right, try touching it.
Are you serious!? You're asking her to touch a mysterious light in the middle of THIS forest!?

As Flavio upbraids you, Chloe pulls her hand back, and you abandon your idea of reaching towards the light. Still, you are no closer to discovering what this rising light may be... You cannot discount the possibility that it is dangerous, so you hesitate to approach it carelessly. In the midst of your indecision, the protector speaks up from behind you.

It looks like a Geomagnetic Pole. I've no clue how they work, but they're supposed to act like a bridge connecting High Lagaard and the Labyrinth.
A bridge? Mr. Guard would like that.
Oh, you mean that bridge-loving guard? This is probably outside his interests...

You may try using this bridge between the town and the Labyrinth, or ignore it in favor of pressing onward.

I head back to town at this point. But all the townsfolk pretty much just said their 6th floor dialogue, so they don't say anything new now. Though if we enter Cafe now...

Regina just lets us know that we can develop other areas. Same as in Classic, nothing new here.

But some of the bar patrons are new here, and some of them are exclusive to Story Mode. Like this guy right here.

Oh, I've heard of you before. You're Knight of Guild, right!? See, we started our exploration at around the same time! So I've been keeping an eye on you guys. Huh...? W-Wait, you don't know me? Huh! W-Weird! I'm Abrouille! Known as the Deerslayer? Killer of the Chimaera? You really haven't heard of me!? ...Well! Um. Weird. I mean, I'm really famous around here... really!
Look, maybe it's none of my business, but you probably shouldn't go around saying that kind of stuff...
D-Don't know what you're talking about!

What's this now? Ain't this one a cute li'l thing? Go on, girl, get me a drink! Heh heh heh...
Hey, enough with that! She's not just some barmaid!
Oh my... If you require assistance to order drinks, then perhaps you have had too much already!
Here you are, sir. I specifically requested a modest amount.
Oh, uh... oh.
I recall hearing that it's better to drink with some food, in order to offset the influence of strong alcohol. So, why not order some snacks to go with your beverage?
Uh... s-sure. I'll do that.
Yes, please do so!
A-Arianna... you're amazing...

We can't see any inn scenes yet until we do the whole Ginnungagap thing. Which we'll do next time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey, don't mock the power of vegetables. They're like bombs, packed tight with all kinds of important nutrients.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 31: The Scribbles Dinosaurs Behind the Secret Door

Hah! Hoo! HeeARRRRGGHH--whoops.
...Asriel. Why is your practice katana stuck in my door? Actually, no, don't answer that. Just get this thing out of my sight. And you're gonna pay Hanna for the door repair charge.
One day of exploring'll pay it off. ...Might I ask what that book you're holding is?
Huh? ...Ack! N-nothing!
Looks like that old story Jackie was talking about, with the ghos--
It is NOT the one about the kindred spirits on the school's roof! Now get this stupid sword out of my door and leave me be!
...Was only gonna say the ghosts part.
...Hehe.
So giving her that book was part of the plan?
Part of it.
What about Asriel getting his sword stuck in the door?
...That part, no.

No, we're not going into either Ginnungagap or the 4th Stratum today. Instead, we're going to get the secret areas behind the sealed doors in the 1st and 2nd Strata out of the way, since we'll need to explore both of them for certain postgame quests.

To start this pseudo-quest, we have to go back to where all of this started: 1F. There's a small area behind the closed door icon.

...So, um, how do we actually use this thing?
Grr rr krr.
Well, here's the key, but what's a bear gonna--

https://zippy.gfycat.com/LeftDazzlingAlaskankleekai.webm (GIF version)

Throwing the key at the door. Sure, whatever.

I hate it when this poo poo happens.

Just when I'd finally forgotten the smell. Oh well.

Oh my dear sweet christ. Formaldehydes are loving amazing. Introduced in EO3, Formaldehydes give you all the drops of any monster killed on the turn it's used, including conditional drops you didn't fulfill the condition for! These things are absolute lifesavers for enemies with really dumb conditionals like "Kill with Curse damage." They're sadly in incredibly short supply, and to make them, you need the (annoying) conditional of an FOE that first shows up on 28F.

This thing's nice too, I guess.

Now, we move onto the actual secret area, behind the locked door in the area where we rescued the soldier from the dinosaurs--almost 6 months ago, at time of writing.

And our first secret area encounter has a monster I seriously despise.

Longisquama
HP: 760, STR: 41, TEC: 29, VIT: 29, AGI: 25, LUC: 28
Skills:
  • Tail Whip: Uses the legs. Deals 70% melee STR-based Stab damage to one row. Lowers hit targets' physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Bendy Wings. 50% chance. Sells for 364 en. 1 needed to make Down Glove (+23 DEF, +10% Bash resistance, can be equipped by Beasts). 5 needed to make Gendawa (+102 ATK, +20 TP).
    "The supple wings of a Longisquama. It's often used for weapons and armor."
Damage resistances:
100% 50% 100% 50% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 150% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
100% 50% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A lizard with feather-like frills. Its tail can cause weakness if it catches you!

Longisquamas are complete assholes. Firstly, note that they cut all elemental damage in half, so they pose a pretty big annoyance for Alchemists. On top of that, Tail Whip will also cut all the damage your front line deals in half, and deals enough damage that a Beast tanking it will be left pretty badly hurt, especially given the Longisquama's 41 STR (bear in mind that Scylla only had 39 STR). Our party especially has problems with this thing, since we only have 2 damage dealers, one of whom is a Ronin.

Right behind you.
Rrgh?!
No, no, the good kind of "right behind you!"

Keep that tail away from me...

I've normally been ending most random encounters in 1-3 turns, but it's the 3rd turn now, and the Longisquama is only down to half HP. Random encounters are painful when you have a party as lacking in AOE as this one.

Cut your flaps down to size.

Four turns to bring down one monster. This is going to suck.

3F's secret area theme: rubble. Lots and lots of rubble.

And kinda pointless shortcuts.

One of these stupid lizards just wasn't enough, huh.

Ironically, Sophie is now one of my best options for dealing with random encounters in this party, thanks to Evil Eye and Conflict Word.

Bleh! Ew ew ew...
Lizard meat not your thing?
No! Eeeeuugh, it's going to take forever to wash out this taste...

Conflict Word's kinda more useful when there's multiple enemies in a fight.

Seems like it's telling Sophie "take this other guy, not me!"
I don't want either of them...

At least Flame Grater kinda helps, but repeated use will chew through Asriel's TP pretty quickly.

I hate these stupid lizards so much.

I have to wonder... Where did all these rocks come from...?
At this point, I've just stopped wondering anything about this place. None of it makes any sense.

Apparently I've become the Labyrinth's garbage collector.

You wanna talk obnoxious? Because this encounter embodies it several times over.

Especially since this stupid goddamn lizard's normal attacks can one-shot Asriel. Ronin are very, very fragile, if you haven't learned that yet.

I wish there was more to say about this area, but it really just is small areas with annoying lizards around every corner.

Soma Primes are the upgraded version of Somas, and heal the entire party for 160 HP. Pretty decent, although pretty obviously redundant if you have a Medic or War Magus in your party.

So many ingredients, so little time.

And three random Take points for no real reason. One gives Citron, the other two give Rye.

Yep. Look at that secret area. Excited yet? Good, because we still have a lot of secret area to go.

I left the Labyrinth at this point to sell off stuff, save, and heal up.

Down Glove (+23 DEF, +10% Bash resistance, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 1 Bendy Wings. There's worse pieces of defensive equipment. I buy one for Ursa later in the update.

Gendawa (+102 ATK, +20 TP) is unlocked by selling 5 Bendy Wings. This is actually one of the upper-tier 4th Stratum bows--yeah, I'm doing the secret areas a bit earlier than I'm supposed to. Nadia would be set for a while if I bought this for her.

...Does anyone hear s-stomping?
L-like a dinos-saur...
Look sharp, ladies. Dinosaur at 6 o'clock.

And you thought the Longisquamas were bad? Meet this fucker.

Raptor Lord
HP: 1684, STR: 44, TEC: 32, VIT: 34, AGI: 22, LUC: 40
Skills:
  • Cruel Fangs: Uses the head. Deals 90% melee STR-based Cut damage to the entire party. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 50% chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Glittering Tail. 75% chance. Sells for 707 en. 1 needed to make Beam Whip (+110 ATK, +5 to non-fixed Force gain). 2 needed to make Bone Axe (+130 ATK, +10 HP, +2 VIT). 8 needed to make Cross Spear (+113 ATK, +3 VIT).
    "Mysterious raptor tail that somehow releases heat and light. Takes great skill to work."
  • Conditional: Severed Horn (Kill with Cut damage). 80% chance. Sells for 1131 en. 1 needed to make Monohoshizao (+136 ATK, +10 HP, +3 AGI).
    "A cleanly severed horn. Though impressive, it is hard and extremely difficult to work."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 100% 100% 50%
50% 50% 50%
50% 100% 100%

A savage creature with a bedazzling horn, it is among the most dangerous denizens of the forest.

The game's not kidding with the description there. This thing has stats that outpace pretty much every 4th Stratum monster and even some monsters from the start of the 5th Stratum. 44 STR means the thing will one-shot Asriel with any attack, no questions asked, and Ursa WILL die if she tanks all the hits of Cruel Fangs--if her arms don't get bound first, that is. 40 LUC and 50% resistance to fear and head binds also means this thing is annoying tough to disable, so Sophie and Freyja have their work cut out for them.

Also, 1684 HP. For a well-constructed party, that is a lot. For our party, this thing might as well be an FOE.

Even Preemptive Roar won't help a ton.

My biggest mistake throughout this entire fight is prioritizing Gag over Cuffs for Freyja, since binding the Raptor Lord's arms would still lower its STR, and she'd be hitting a 100% arm bind resistance instead of 50% head bind resistance.

Its jaws a-are like iron. I can't tie them...

Its horns are in the way of its head!

At least our damage (when an enemy doesn't have 2-3 binds) isn't godawful, just bad. Freyja and Asriel can whittle the thing down by around 400 HP every turn.

Rrrf.

Ohhhhh poo poo. Oh no.

Grrk...!

gently caress.

Struck down in my prime...

Ow ow ow ow OW! I thought Ursa's job was to stop that!
It's hard to do that--ow--when your arms are broken...

Yeah, ouch. This is bad. Realga and Sophie will die to one more Cruel Fangs, and Ursa can't use Hit-Taker right now.

Screw it. Do or die.

I am NOT going through death by dinosaur in the middle of this stupid forest! Get back up!

motherFUCKER

M-my arms...!

Urk...I just got back up...

Ow ow ow... It's MY job to bite things off!

AAAAAAAAAAA

Desperate times calls for Desperation.

That's how the saying goes, right?

It's... Urk...
Sophie? Are you getting food poisoning?!
It tastes so raw...

Oh thank every god that has ever existed.

Death is too good for dinosaurs.
Are you about to go off on another tangent like you did with the spiders?
They're not as bad as spiders. Close, though.

In case it wasn't obvious enough that I'm exploring these places way earlier than I should. What's a game without a good challenge every now and then, though?

Is that...a frog?
Frog?! Where is it where is it where is it?!
I see we've got a big fan of frog meat. ...Eww.

Frog Lords will jump two tiles in your direction when enter the same row or column they occupy.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GreenDefiniteAmericanquarterhorse.webm (GIF version)

Like so.

That thing's got some legs, hm.

Come on, people, stop leaving your garbage on the floor of the Labyrinth.

Oh great, there's more of this. Probably more dinosaurs, too, if I'm really lucky.
Look at it this way... At least the dinosaurs are good practice for the upper strata, r-right?

We're done with the 3F secret area, but we've got plenty more to go.

Think I see another frog behind that box.

Hmm. How can I lure the Frog Lord out so I can get to the chest safely?

That's a question for another time, since I went back to town at this point because the Raptor Lords were putting a serious drain on my TP and Force.

Beam Whip (+110 ATK, +5 to non-fixed Force gain) is unlocked by selling 1 Glittering Tail. This thing is actually on the low end of damage as far as 4th Stratum whips go, but it's our first introduction to Force Up weapons. What these do is they add a static amount to any non-fixed Force gain--so it affects stuff like Force gained from using a skill, but not Force gained from skills like White Noble, Force gained from Axcelas, etc.

In my opinion, I don't really see a lot of value to Force Up. It's kinda useful, but my issue is that--for my playstyle in Classic, at least--boss fights (the fights where you'd REALLY want Force back quickly) tend to end before Force Up can make a ton of difference. There's two boss fights MUCH later on where they're guaranteed to last a long time (30+ turns, in fact), but... Let's just say they mess with Force in special ways that render Force Up irrelevant.

I still buy Freyja a Beam Whip because it's a lot better than her Red Fin Whip, but it's not going to be something I'm keeping for a while.

Monohoshizao (+136 ATK, +10 HP, +3 AGI), on the other hand, is really good. The only katanas that outpace it in the 4th Stratum are, in order:
* Made from 7 of a monster's normal drop (+138 ATK)
* Made from a very tough to kill FOE's drop (+142 ATK)
* Made from the stratum boss's normal drop (+147 ATK)

I immediately buy it for Asriel (after getting some more money). He'll be sticking with this thing probably until the 5th Stratum.

Oh, right, the frog. How do I get past it so I can get the treasure...

I must have a taste!
You're going to be the death of us soon, Sophie...

Fighting it is a good option, I guess. It's easy to get past it when it's dead.

Frog Lord
HP: 9832, STR: 49, TEC: 41, VIT: 39, AGI: 33, LUC: 46
Skills:
  • Toxic Secretion: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict poison on the entire party, with a 70% base chance and 38 base damage (~59 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Drain Dive: Cannot be disabled. Reduces all party members' maximum HP by 75% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Toxic Skin. 100% chance. Sells for 1650 en. 1 needed to make Poison Gas (40% base chance to inflict poison with 50 base damage). 2 needed to make Poisondart Coat (+42 DEF, +30% Poison resistance).
    "Vibrant pink-colored skin of a giant frog. Being toxic itself, it resists poisons."
  • Conditional: Cursed Frog Skin (Kill while cursed). 100% chance. Sells for 4800 en. 1 needed to make Curse Mail (War Magus ultimate body armor; +96 DEF, +3 STR, +3 TEC).
    "Cursed skin that excretes toxins. Both toxic and cursed, it's extremely dangerous."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 125% 100% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 0% 50% 25% 50% 50% 50%
10% 10% 10%
100% 50% 0%

It sucks the life out of its prey. If only you could make it kill itself on accident...!

The Frog Lord's gimmick is that it'll lower your entire party's maximum HP, and then kill you with normal attacks and low-damage poison. That's really all there is to it, other than the fact that you can't stop Drain Dive at all thanks to the thing's immunity to leg binds. Unihorns basically render Drain Dive a non-issue, but we don't have any on us right now.

I'm also really starting to regret having Sophie forget Corrupt Curse, since getting the Curse Mail unlock out of the way now would've been nice.

Oh yeah, we're at the point now where certain FOE conditionals (along with the boss conditionals which we've already seen) start to make ultimate equipment for certain classes. If you want to do postgame stuff (especially the DLC superboss), I highly recommend getting each class's ultimate equipment, since they all have very nice bonuses.

Freyja's better suited for hitting the frog's 100% head bind resistance.

I need as much damage out of Freyja and Asriel as possible, since 9800 HP takes a while to chew through.

Arm binds don't really do much here aside from give Freyja more damage from Ecstasy.

I feel very frail...
Urrrerrrgh...
Of all the times to not have Unihorns. I can't treat this!

Well, I could use Medical Miracle to purge the debuff, but the Frog Lord'll just recast it in a few turns anyway.

Put that tongue b-back in your mouth.

Mm. Froggy.
I don't want to know what "froggy" tastes like, thank you very much.

...No ancient songs this time?
Jackie's been hogging Colette's book lately.

I wish I could get a 3-bind Ecstasy off, but two will have to do.

I have Asriel turn on Immovable, because why not.

The max HP reduction affects Desperation, but at least the Frog Lord won't be able to easily kill Ursa now.

Overheal will kinda help. Kinda.

Evil Eye and Conflict Word will actually let me force the Frog Lord to skip its Drain Dive turns, if it lasts long enough.

Bllrrrgh...

Ouch. That'd hurt even if we didn't have lowered max HP.

If they cannot bind your legs, I will sever them!

Okay, that's kinda decent.

Now that's really good!

Imagine this party without Ecstasy. Euuuugh.

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but if an enemy hasn't taken their turn before they become afraid, they actually have a chance to skip their action on that turn. Pretty neat! The same applies to player characters, though, which is much less neat.

Slowly but surely, we're whittling this thing down.

Sophie has nothing left to do with the last turn of Creeping Curse, so I just have her Black Mist the Frog Lord instead.

Sophie, imagine the pain you're causing these things that they just flinch looking at you.
They taste so good, though... Plus they're trying to kill us, anyway.

I wish I could just box up this frog after we're done with it...

The poor thing looks like it just wants this to end...

Oh, come on.

Well, so much for disabling the thing on the Drain Dive turn. I turn on Steady Hands because I might as well get some mileage out of it before I purge off the second round of Drain Dive with Medical Miracle.

Pretty much the best thing Sophie can do now is try to put the Frog Lord to sleep.

Steady Hands is a really great Force Boost. It's a drat shame that its usefulness is overshadowed by Medical Miracle.

Every time I see Freyja's low basic whip skill damage, I get kinda sad.

...Did I kill it?
Nope. The thing's just gone to sleep.
Aw.

I have Freyja defend this turn, since Horse Slash will deal more damage with the sleep bonus than Gag.

I have Realga use Overheal so I can show how it interacts with Medical Miracle.

Sophie is actually out of useful things to do now, so I just have her do whatever.

A rude awakening!

...Huh?

Well, add another statistical improbability to the current count, if for some reason you're keeping track of that.

I may not have any Unihorns...

But I can do THIS!
...Am I seeing things, or was light coming down on you from the sky, Realga?
I dunno, it's hard to pay attention to stuff like that during the Healing Touch.

Overheal interacts with Medical Miracle like it does any other healing skill. What I didn't get to show was that if any dead party members are revived from this, their HP is set to the maximum Overheal amount, which is pretty neato.

Now this thing's just an absolute joke.

B-begone...! ...Did that sound confident?
Nope.

Frog Lords are a pretty big pain to fight this early. I got kinda lucky with the binds and the thing not using Toxic Secretion when its head was unbound.

Worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it oh my god that was worth it.

I don't think we've seen Amrita IIs yet, but they're the upgraded form of Amritas, pretty obviously. They restore 100 TP instead of 50. Sadly, there aren't any Amrita IIIs in EO2U, and Amrita IIs are made from a really annoying conditional of a really annoying FOE that first shows up on 28F (not the same one whose conditional makes Formaldehydes, mind you).

The next Frog Lord puzzle's pretty simple.

Just trigger one hop...

And then get into a random encounter (not really).

I don't really feel like eating rabbits...

Thunder Rabbit
HP: 456, STR: 37, TEC: 37, VIT: 27, AGI: 26, LUC: 29
Skills:
  • Heaven's Bolt: Uses the head. Deals 3-5 instances of 110% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Snow Teeth. 40% chance. Sells for 330 en. 1 needed to make Rabbit Helm (+27 DEF, +1 TEC, can be equipped by Beasts). 8 needed to make Volt Gun (+103 ATK, normal attacks become Stab+Volt).
    "Sharp rabbit tooth fit for a herbivorous diet. It can be processed to make weapons and armor."
  • Conditional: Chattering Tooth (Kill while afraid). 100% chance. Sells for 648en. 1 needed to make Aegir Helm (Fafnir ultimate non-body armor; +56 DEF, +2 STR, +2 TEC).
    "Rabbit's front teeth that chatter in fear. The more it chatters, the harder it gets."
Damage resistances:
125% 125% 125% 50% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 100% 100% 100% 100% 150%
100% 100% 50%
0% 100% 100%

A rabbit that can summon lightning bolts. Fortunately, it is less apt at close range.

Thunder Rabbits can put some serious hurt on a person if multiple hits of Heaven's Bolt land on them, but they're otherwise quite a bit of a step down from the Longisquamas and Raptor Lords.

Unlike the Frog Lords, I can very easily get that conditional drop and get Ranger's ultimate non-body armor unlocked for later.

150% resistance to fear means getting the conditional is really easy.

I...guess that swimsuit helps. Somehow.
I really want to ask Colette to figure out how that thing works now...

Behold: the power of the Bikini Armor. Ursa effectively ate 440% Volt damage, and it barely scratched her.

Those teeth supposed to still be chattering?
Magic teeth?
Grab 'em! They're probably worth a lot to Sitoth!

Anyway, yeah, if you just bait out one movement from the Frog Lord and then move to the opposite side, you can get to the door easily. Like I said, very easy.

And now that we have an easy shortcut back to where we were, I decided to call it an update here.

All that's left is to sell what we got.

Rabbit Helm (+27 DEF, +1 TEC, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 1 Snow Teeth. I still prefer the Pointy Hat for now.

Aegir Helm (Fafnir ultimate non-body armor; +56 DEF, +2 STR, +2 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Chattering Tooth. It's Fafnir's ultimate non-body armor and gives nice, if small, stat bonuses. Not a whole lot else to say. It's way out of our price point at this time (money DLC nonwithstanding) at 140k en, but I'll definitely get it for Ranger as soon as it isn't.

Poison Gas (40% base chance to inflict poison with 50 base damage) is unlocked by selling 1 Toxic Skin. It's really goddamn terrible. Good luck getting any "kill with poison" conditionals with that lovely 50 base damage.

NEXT TIME: More secret areas. Hopefully less getting mauled by dinosaurs.

Rea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 5, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Right behind you.
Rrgh?!
No, no, the good kind of "right behind you!"
Realga never really was on your side :stonk:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Conditional: [b]Cursed Frog Skin (Kill while cursed)

It sucks the life out of its prey. If only you could make it kill itself on accident...!

I'm wondering if the devs made a mistake here, and set up the wrong flag for the Frog Lord's conditional by accident. Because that enemy description is incredibly misleading. (And for the record, kill with Curse damage is still a condition in this game, so they didn't just throw that out.) Either that, or they decided to have mercy on us for once considering that the only way it deals damage is through regular attacks and poison.

Barbaric March can be used to deal with Drain Dive, since setting up that buff, no matter how powerful, will block the effects. Or dispel it, but you'd still be left with double digit HP in that case.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Barbaric March can be used to deal with Drain Dive, since setting up that buff, no matter how powerful, will block the effects. Or dispel it, but you'd still be left with double digit HP in that case.

Barrier works too if you don't have a Troubadour, and I think Frog Lords only use Drain Dive on the first turn and every fifth turns or something like that, so it's easy to predict. Barbaric March is definitely more reliable at lower skill levels, though. All else fails (like me on my first run when I underestimated Barrier), White Noble works. I think you get the heal after the debuff is dispelled, but I can't remember.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you got a couple of glass-cannon frontliners there.

Have you got any, uh, non-glass cannons?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Man, you got a couple of glass-cannon frontliners there.

Have you got any, uh, non-glass cannons?

Nope. We're stuck with this until 18F.

At least it's better than the party Fetus had for the same area in EO2: a Troubadour/Medic front line, and a Alchemist/Gunner/Hexer back line.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 32: Biology Lab

Thank you, Ursa and Sophie...
Rrhrm.
I guess if you've got a town with so many friendly people, you've gotta have some scummy jerks to balance it out.
...Do I want to know what happened? Alternatively, can I probably guess it?
S-some people have no respect for fashion choices...
Some jerks said really nasty things to Freyja when we were coming back from dinner. Ursa and I made them regret it, though!
I guess a Hexer...or at least someone who looks like one...and a giant bear do make for a scary pair.

Today, we do more secret areas. Exciting, no?

We're gonna have to do them sooner or later, might as well do it when I'm about 5-10 levels below where the game expects me to be.

After I mess with everyone's Grimoires a little. Sophie, in particular, had no Grimoires equipped since I had her take a Rest a while ago.

I also remembered that Realga and Ursa had skill points from last update that I forgot to allocate.

Salve now heals for 122% healing power, while Protection Vow now lasts for 6 turns, can take 5 instances of damage, only loses 10% chance to protect per blocked instance, and reduces damage by 35%. Nifty.

...What, demon girl's not slavering over the frogs?
First, I've lost track of how many times I've told you that summoning stuff was just a show the fake cult hired Stardust to do effects for. Second, I just ate.

This is a kinda annoying puzzle. There's debris everywhere, and while that means they impede the Frog Lords' movement (if a Frog Lord hops in the direction of Debris, it will get stopped by it for one turn, and hop over it on the next move in the same direction), it's also easy to put them in a position that screws you over.

Why did we let the bear do navigation, again?
Rrrr...

...Like this. Oh well, I wanted to fight a Frog Lord to show something off anyway, so...

En guarde!

Good start.

Same setup as last time, honestly.

We have gone from a good start to an excellent start.

Wait what

Okay, no more letting the bear do navigation.

Oh my god I don't think I've actually seen this before: the loving Frog Lords will pounce towards you if you're in their line of sight even in the middle of fights. This is bad.

Gather your inadequate friends, and flee! Flee in the name of Lance the rhubarb!

I can't go on...

Crafty frogs!
No no no, come on! I didn't even write my will! What's gonna happen to my savings?!

Time to croak...

Rrrerrgh...

...You think we'll turn into ghosts after we die?
Maybe? I dunno, I just hope there'll be--

...Tasty ghost food...

My...money...

Oh, hello, Realga.
Ranger? ...Where are we?
Some swirling red vortex.
Did I actually turn into a ghost...? Wait, if I'm a ghost, then why are you here? What happened to my money? ...And everyone else, I guess.
I'unno. I think whoever's in charge of the universe doesn't like what just happened.
Uh... Can we fix this?
Yep. All I gotta do is this.

I mean, I can't even really blame the game for that one. I even had Return Flutes, but it's easy to forget about that when your thought process is best summed up as "oh gently caress oh poo poo no no no."

...I'm not even going to question how he can mess with time. Nope. Just gonna accept it and move on.
D-did you say something, Realga?
N-nope! C'mon, let's just get going.

You saw nothing.

Alright, how to do this without getting cornered by these stupid frogs. First, bait the top one out as far as you can.

There's debris over here, meaning the frog will try to hop toward you and stop just before the debris.

Take a step backward, and the frog will leap over the debris.

Run down, to the left, and then up again, and you'll have a newly frog-free pathway.

In the process of trying to do some fancy footwork to get to the chest, I accidentally hosed up and now the frog's in the worst spot possible.

Ohhh, I'm ready for you now, froggy. I've even got something special for you!
You're trying to preserve this thing?
If Sitoth values the skin so much, imagine what he'd give for the entire frog!

Don't worry, my memory isn't literally non-functional (just really terrible). The Frog Lord on the other side of the map can't hop to us--we're safe.

You might be wondering "why are you fighting one of these things again?" The answer is: I want to demonstrate Formaldehyde, since inflicting Curse on these things isn't really that hard and the only reason I can't do it is because Sophie doesn't have Corrupt Curse at the moment.

You've already seen a full Frog Lord fight before, so let's just skip to the interesting bits.

The thing's almost dead, and it can't use Toxic Secretion. Here is where I need to be really careful, since the Formaldehyde needs to go off before the thing dies, and if I end up wasting it on a turn where the thing doesn't die...then I'll be mildly irritated and restart the game.

I have everyone Defend while Sophie tries to put the Frog Lord to sleep, in order to amplify one instance of damage from either Freyja or Asriel.

This thing still hurts even through Defend, and if it uses Drain Dive again, things'll get hairy.

Rock-a-bye froggy, in the forest ground...
Something tells me frogs aren't much for lullabies.

drat.

drat.

drat drat.

No biggie, I'll just purge all that poison off.

Wuh-oh.

Okay, really?

Urrrk...
Can you please make that thing fall asleep already?!
Maybe if I wasn't full from dinner...

Alright, enough of this nonsense.

Welp. Toxic Secretion's poison damage is already kinda annoying, being hit with it while we have Drain Dive on us is basically a death sentence.

Gee, great timing.

Now everyone's dead.

I really hope the frog stays asleep for a while, I really don't want to Game Over twice in one update.

Please come back...!
M-my head...

This was stupid. Sophie's equipment (namely, a staff) means she has way lower action speed than Freyja.

Actually, that doesn't matter, because...

So hungry...

Owowow... What happened here?!
Please, Realga, I can't go on for long...

I'm still gonna...preserve this thing...

Realga has the same speed issue that Sophie does regarding her staff giving her a really bad penalty.

P-please don't get upset...
Y'know what? Nah. Trying to preserve this thing isn't worth dying again.
Again...?

Ugh, what a disaster. At least an item isn't consumed if you select it and don't get to use it.

I just opted to go back to town and revive everyone at the inn.

If at first you don't succeed, die, try again.
Pretty sure it's "try, try again." Anyway, it's gotta work eventually!

Pattern recognition is, evidently, something I never learned as a baby.

At least we didn't have a catastrophe again.

Freyja gets another level in Phys ATK Up. With her Grimoire, this level basically does nothing.

Why can't these things always have, like, Amritas or Formaldehydes?

Four-Leaf Clovers aren't entirely garbage--I dunno if I've explained them yet but, to my best understanding, when used, they have a 25% chance to make any Grimoire generated on the turn they're used be level 10. I'd say these are useful, but the Premium Grimoire Chance Tea and a certain aspect about a postgame floor makes them kinda irrelevant.

We're almost done with the Frog Lords, I swear.

At this point, I just went back to town to heal up since fighting one of these things is a serious drain on Freyja and Asriel's TP.

What did Stardust say that one time? Something about the definition of insanity?
The law of big numbers means this'll work soon enough!

Ursa's collar and claws giving her an action speed boost means she's gotta make this work, right?

WRONG.

One more fight later...

Asriel's turn.

My my, that smell is something.
Urk... I shouldn't have eaten before we went in...
Imagine four or six years of this smell, and you know what med school was like.

YES

Least the smell's worth something--the body's perfectly intact.
...I'm kinda regretting this now. This thing feels like it's cursed somehow.

Note how we got the Cursed Frog Skin despite the Frog just having its head bound when it died.

All those frogs just to demonstrate Formaldehyde. Bleh.

Y'know, I didn't think it could get worse than the dinosaurs, but the frogs proved me wrong.
At least it's over. I think I've had my fill of frogs for, I dunno, the rest of my life.

This frog is heavy... Can we please go sell it before going further?
I haven't checked my savings in a while... Yeah, let's go back.

Time to go back to town.

...4800 en. For an entire Frog Lord. Rip-offs.

All that effort for something I won't even be buying until near the end of the 6th Stratum.

Curse Mail (War Magus ultimate body armor; +96 DEF, +3 STR, +3 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Cursed Frog Skin. It costs a whopping 205000 en, but given that War Magi are key to making several postgame fights not-incredibly-frustrating, I'm definitely going to be buying this for Colette at some indeterminate point in the future.

oh god

At this point, I remembered there were a few level ups I didn't spend yet. They speak for themselves, I think. I'm gonna need Corrupt Curse for some more conditionals in the 5th and 6th strata.

NO MERCY

It's more humane to put food to sleep before you cook it!
Or eating it raw, in your case.

I have literally never used Rose Prison up until now, and really unloading Force Breaks is just symbolic at this point.

I must still slaughter 99 of your kind for repatriation.

O-one of these is enough for me.

Rose Prison is a really trash Force Break, honestly. It has a high bind chance, yeah (in fact, it's 120% for each bind type), but think of it this way: is some small damage and unreliable binds worth locking your Dark Hunter out of Trance until you go back to town? Or wasting a turn where you could be using Ecstasy?

All of that pain. For this empty room.
C-c'mon, Realga, let's go get some lunch! She looks like she's about to explode...

One more small locked door area.

I'll be honest, I welcome these things after the dinosaurs and frogs.
Speak for yourself.

Oh hey, another one of these things.

Wait. Wait wait wait. Freyja, didn't we kill Flame Demon a few months ago?
Yes. I remember it very well...

Oh yeah, boss respawns. These start happening after...it's either when you reach the final floor of the stratum after the boss, or when you defeat the next stratum's boss.

Note that Flame Demon's only movement pattern is that she'll turn to face you whenever you're close to her. She doesn't actually move at all.

Alright, the second and final secret area. What awaits us is...

...A battle.

Eww, it's literally all bone.
It's a miracle: a monster that Sophie doesn't want to eat.

Dinotyrant
HP: 2326, STR: 42, TEC: 31, VIT: 32, AGI: 23, LUC: 32
Skills:
  • Curse Fang: Cannot be disabled. Deals 80% melee STR-based Cut damage to the entire party. Attempts to inflict curse on hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Death Stare: Cannot be disabled. Attempts to instantly kill one party member, with a 70% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Bone Plate. 75% chance. Sells for 741 en. 1 needed to make Dino Cuirass (+50 DEF, +5% Cut, Stab, and Bash resistance). 7 needed to make Dragon Whip (+114 ATK, +15 HP).
    "Bony plate of myriad overlapping scales. If worked properly, it makes weapons or armor."
  • Conditional: Pierced Heart (Kill with instant death). 100% chance. Sells for 1600 en. 1 needed to make Brave Gage (Landsknecht ultimate non-body armor; +46 DEF, +20 HP, +3 STR).
    "Dinotyrant's heart stopped in one strike. If struck when alive, its power changes."
Damage resistances:
200% 200% 200% 200% 200% 200%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 100% 50% 50% 0% 50%
50% 50% 50%
0% 100% 100%

A vicious carnivore with a high vitality. Adventurers would do well to dispatch it quickly.

Oh hey, it's the Low-Resistance-But-Has-Curse gimmick enemy. Pretty much every EO from EO3 on has one of these, and their gimmick is basically that they have high HP, but also very low damage resistances. The catch is that they also have the ability to inflict curse on your party, meaning that cursed targets will take a lot of damage if they hit the enemy, since the low resistances inflate their damage.

None of this matters, because...

98 dinosaurs left until I have my revenge.

Another conditional that gives some kind of ultimate armor out of the way.

Anyway, yeah, the gimmick of the 10F secret area is small, twisty corridors.

Pretty much none of these corridors have anything interesting going on.

...I know I said I stopped questioning this place, but I'm going back on that: why?

Also, there's a gigantic open area with tons of doors leading to the corridors. I'm getting bad EO1 flashbacks.

Seriously, what is the point to any of these corridors?
Going by your reaction, to annoy explorers like us.

Seriously, look at this mess.

Wonder if that Overlord's the one to blame for this.
He'll pay for this, if so.

The only things that happen during this period are occasional Dinotyrant fights, none of which are worth showing.

Alright, that's the end of this floor, let's go back to town now!
U-um, aren't we missing a large part of the map?

Rrgh. Fine. Maybe there'll be treasure. If there is, though, I'm taking half of what it's worth.

Secret passage here.

...Um, what is this?
That's probably the most primitive gun I've ever seen.
Maybe Jackie can use it for something? It kinda feels like it's magic.

The Rock Cannon is another ailment weapon, but it's kind of special--30% base chance to inflict petrification with normal attacks. I normally dismiss these things, but since Scorpion is the only non-monster Grimoire skill that can inflict petrification, this thing's honestly our best bet for getting petrify conditionals.

Okay, NOW let's go back to town.
About two hours until dinner time... Eh, okay.

Brave Gage (Landsknecht ultimate non-body armor; +46 DEF, +20 HP, +3 STR) is unlocked by selling 1 Pierced Heart. Another bit of ultimate armor that's way out of our price range at this time.

Dino Cuirass (+50 DEF, +5% Cut, Stab, and Bash resistance) is unlocked by selling 1 Bone Plate. The physical damage resistances are honestly negligible, but I haven't upgraded Freyja and Asriel's armor in a while, so I buy one for Freyja and...

Actually, when was the last time I upgraded Asriel's armor?

You kids and your fancy, expensive armor. This stuff's served me well so far, and I'll stick with--
Uh, no. Abigail, what've you got that's not that expensive but also isn't super-flimsy?

...No loving wonder the dude's been dying so quickly, oh my god. All of his armor is still from the first part of the 1st Stratum. I am good at Etrian Odyssey.

Much better. Hopefully he'll be less susceptible to being one-shot now.

That's all for now. Next time: the last of the secret areas, I swear.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

To be fair, when you have fifteen characters to manage... :sweatdrop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

...No loving wonder the dude's been dying so quickly, oh my god. All of his armor is still from the first part of the 1st Stratum. I am good at Etrian Odyssey.

Moments like this are why these EO LPs are so entertaining. :allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ragnar...what the gently caress. You need to check equipment every time you unlock something if you keep a piece of armor on someone from the first loving stratum. I mean. WHO DOES THAT :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, I was about to say, I remembered my Ronin being flimsy but not that flimsy.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I mean, I literally said that my memory is atrocious in the middle of the update, I dunno why you're all surprised. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If this was EO3 or EO4, where they nerfed armor to not having much of an effect overall, it would be kind of understandable. :v: Granted I have no idea just how powerful armor is in EO2U.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There isn't any way to tell where an armor comes from, is there? No kind of star rating or anything? Just because equipment can be so variable between classes.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 33: You're Not Supposed To Be Here

Realga? C'mon, it's time to go exploring.
R-ready.
Realga, a-are you okay? Your cheeks--no, y-your entire face is red.
Frvrr?
N-no, not a fever. I was...blindsided by something in a book.
Blindsided by a book? Huh?
I don't want to talk about it. C'mon, let's go get Asriel.
...What could've happened that'd make Realga blush that hard? Note to self: ask Jackie about that book.

We're finishing the secret areas today. Aren't you excited?

What a pathetic-looking monster.
It's barely more than a puddle.

Hey look, Baby Salamanders are back.

...Hold up, why is it about to breathe fire even though we're not in its line of sight?

Eep.

Oh.

Meet the Lava Beast. It starts out as that dinky little non-monster, but if a Baby Salamander breathes fire on it (or it steps on a tile that's on fire), it gets big and starts chasing after us.

How does something that big move that fast?!

Oh yeah, it also takes two steps for every step we take. Fun.

So, how do we avoid letting it catch up to us?

Move directly in front of it, and then...

Sidestep it. The Lava Beast will always move two tiles per step, so as long as we just repeat this sidestepping pattern, it can't actually catch us.

I-it shrunk a-again...
I guess it uses a lot of calories to chase after us.
...I know calories are a measure of heat, but that's not how they work, Sophie.

After 6 turns, the Lava Beast will go back into its dinky initial state, and slink back to where it started. It also only moves one tile at a time in this form. Worth noting that it also won't act for one turn after it goes dormant, meaning...

We can catch it before it grows again.

Smother it in the crib! ...Or at least before the salamander spews hellfire again.

Lava Beast (dormant)
HP: 1205, STR: 26, TEC: 21, VIT: 21, AGI: 14, LUC: 20
Drops:
  • Normal: Cooled Lava. 100% chance. Sells for 1 en. Unlocks absolutely nothing.
    "Lumpy lava hardened by a cooling process. Any use it had in this state is gone."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 200% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A creature formed from magma, but luckily, it is very close to being extinguished.

The dormant Lava Beast will literally do nothing. I'm not even kidding. It doesn't even use basic attacks.

One less thing to worry about.

I literally just auto-battle the thing to death.

I m-must ask... How did that beast get here? I-I mean, maybe if we were in a volcano or somewhere very warm, but...
That Overlord probably runs some really weird experiments. I mean, how else do you explain Flame Demon and Scylla?
You think the Overlord has a big supply of dead monsters in the floating castle? Do we get them if we kill him?!
If he's anything like that Progenitor, he's probably makes the things out of his own body.

This room's actually fairly big, to give you some leeway when being chased by the Lava Beast, but it doesn't matter much if you just kill the thing while it's small.

Next room. This one's a bit tougher, since the Lava Beast is in a much more inconvenient spot.

RRRRERER ER REE RERR!
I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE COOKED!
Pfft. Kids. Why, I jumped into the lava in the Molten Caves several times, and always came out unscathed.
THAT'S NOT HOW ANYTHING WORKS!

Perfect your sidestepping dance moves today, here on Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold!

Some time later, while I try to figure out how to get past this thing:

Is there anyone in this party who won't lead us to our deaths while navigating?
My brain is not what it used to be. Haven't you learned that by now?

Lava Beast
HP: 12047, STR: 51, TEC: 48, VIT: 41, AGI: 28, LUC: 40
Skills:
  • Lava Boulder: Uses the head. Deals 4-6 instances of 90% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Waterproof Fire: Used in response to receiving Ice damage. Uses the head. Heals the Lava Beast for ~9637 HP, and increases its elemental damage by 100% for 4 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Cinder Stone. 100% chance. Sells for 1840 en. 1 needed to make Flame Greaves (+20 DEF, +10% Fire resistance, can be equipped by Beasts).
    "Red stone too hot to handle with bare hands. Its heat even makes it hard to craft with."
  • Conditional: Sizzling Lava (Kill with Fire damage). 100% chance. Sells for 3770 en. 1 needed to make Amianthus Mail (Fafnir ultimate armor; +100 DEF, +3 all stats).
    "Rock formed when a Lava Beast burns to death. Won't burn, regardless of temperature."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 50% 0% 200% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 25% 25% 50% 50% 25%
10% 10% 10%
25% 50% 50%

A foul beast from deep within the earth, fire courses throughout its body.

Legitimately, our party as it is right now cannot kill this thing. Even with 3-bind Ecstasies, this thing just has way too much HP, especially with having 50% resistance to all physical damage.

I'm DEFINITELY bringing Ranger back later on so he can kill this thing with Akashic Nova to get its drop. I'm sure you're not surprised that Ranger's ultimate armor is the best out of all of them.

I just have everyone try to run.

All my limbs... Crushed...

I can stand heat... Not rocks...

In case Sophie and Ursa still fail to escape.

Nope, c'mon, you're not getting off that easily while my tab's running!

...Ugh.

If I just try to escape without having Ursa guard everyone, everyone's going to die eventually.

Ursa actually doesn't take a lot of damage from tanking Lava Boulder. (I told you that Bikini Armor would be a worthwhile purchase.)

If I had, say, Ranger or Stardust in place of Asriel, we'd be doing really well.

Flee for your no-good lives!

6 turns to escape. Good lord.

Eheheh...

The shoe's on the other foot now!

One murder of a defenseless dormant Lava Beast later.

Maybe we could find a way to use these things to provide infinite cooking fuel for Cass and Regina? There's a lot of them.
That's...not a good thing.

That is, though!

Never mind.
I don't think you really thought this through--that giant lava thing's blocking our path now.

Head Guards, incidentally, nullify head binds on whoever equips them. If we ever go up against a boss that can easily inflict head binds, Realga's pretty much going to need this thing.

So, the big question here now is: how the hell do I get out of this without using an Ariadne Thread?

Floor Jump is how.

...Did Dubois ever explain how this magic map works? Maybe how much it's wor--
You're not really considering selling our m-map, are you?

After some quick sprinting, we're back to where we started.

I take the time to kill the Baby Salamander here so that the Lava Beast can't go active again. Why, you may ask?

That's why. That corridor makes it really easy for the Lava Beast to catch you a lot if it's active.

There really isn't a lot to these puzzles, honestly. I decided to off the dormant Lava Beast again in the next room.

U-um... Am I the only one that's kind of...bored by this area?
Nah. For a place as weird and full of weird monsters like this, you'd expect something more exciting.
And you're just saying that because nothing we've run into for a while's been edible.
Is anything Sophie eats "edible," really?
Hmph. Monsters are an acquired taste.
Blrrch.

Are you getting sick of these frankly-repetitive Lava Beast rooms? Because I certainly am.

Two for the price of none. Aren't we so lucky.

Mercifully, there's a small room to the east (relative to the map) which has a shortcut back to near the start.

I take the opportunity to sell off the paltry amount of drops we got and rest up.

Running in a straight line from the shortcut room door resulted in this awkward situation. I'm effectively boxed in--any step I take will result in one of the Lava Beasts engaging me.

I just say "screw it" and start the fight so I can escape and bolt for the door.

Two FOEs in one fight is something I'd normally expect to just result in a game over.

Sophie, thankfully, pulled through.

Ahahaha! Eat it, you searing piece of crap!

Can't catch us now!
...I think all this secret area stuff is getting to your head, Realga.
Is it getting to my head, or are you just paying so little attention that you're not experiencing what everyone else is?!
Yep. She's losing it.
Let's hurry up and finish this...

Asriel! C'mon, bust out that katana! Chop 'em all to bits in a flash!
Is there a term for this? "Secret area fever?"

Black Boar
HP: 844, STR: 43, TEC: 32, VIT: 30, AGI: 24, LUC: 31
Skills:
  • Clash: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Savage Fang. 45% chance. Sells for 378 en. 1 needed to make Fang Axe (+127 ATK, +5 TP). 5 needed to make Black Beast (+118 ATK, +20 HP). 8 needed to make Boar Demigaunt (+10 HP, can be equipped by Beasts).
    "A hard fang that can pierce through steel. A powerful weapon can be made with this."
Damage resistances:
100% 50% 100% 150% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
150% 50% 50% 100% 50% 100% 100%
50% 100% 50%
100% 100% 50%

A ferocious boar that lunges recklessly into its prey, knocking them unconscious.

Black Boars can be a serious nuisance when paired up with the right monsters, like here. Clash hurts pretty badly, and stunning the wrong person can turn an easy fight into a dire situation. Here, for example, if someone survives Clash, they'll probably die to 3 of the Flame Lizards' AOEs being stacked on them.

Eh...
I'll give ya half the money I'm billing today!

...Well, if you insist.
Sh-shame on you, Asriel...
Yeah, why would you take the money of someone who's clearly out of it?
She's no more out of it than I am.

None of what I just said applies if you just Issen everything.

Huh. That's a weird-looking symbol.
Zack said he and his party ran into something that looked like that in the 3rd Stratum...
...Oh. Ohhhhhh. It's like those drunks at the bar said...
Did the demon realize something?
I'm not telling you if you keep calling me a demon.

Great. Yeah. Perfect. All of that for another GODDAMNED EMPTY ROOM YEAH GOOD THAT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT AAAAAGGGGHHHH! I HATE THIS STUPID LABYRINTH AND WHATEVER SICK BASTARD DESIGNED IT!
R-Realga, please stop shouting... Let's just go back to town and get something to eat...okay?

This empty room will serve a very important purpose in the postgame. And by the postgame, I mean a quest we can first take once we reach 29F. Y'know, one floor from the absolute end of the Labyrinth.

My point is we'll be coming back here in the future, but it's a long, LONG way off. I just felt like getting all this stuff out of the way now.

Fang Axe (+127 ATK, +5 TP) is unlocked by selling 1 Savage Fang. It's boring.

The update continues after this post, since it originally went over the character limit even after editing.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 33 part 2

...Oogh, my head...
Ah, good, you've awoken.
Colette? Wait, what happened? Why was I asleep?
We got back to the inn after selling stuff at Sitoth, you started shouting about the Labyrinth, and then you just kinda...collapsed.
I may not be trained extensively in psychology, but I can tell you were under severe stress, especially after discovering the second empty space. Might I recommend a few days of bedrest?
We'll bring, I dunno, Nadia to help with Ginnungagap--
Ginnungagap?! Nope nope nope, I'm ready to go! C'mon, you guys won't survive three seconds in that deathtrap without me! Let's get going, now! Hmm... What was my deathtrap fee again?
Realga, w-wait!
I evidently misjudged her ability to recover when money is on the line...

Yep, we're finally done with the secret area nonsense. Now we can enjoy a nice, relaxing trip down into the depths of Ginnungagap.

No-one ever said being an explorer was always fun.

Alright, what's behind the door...

...W-what is that?
Looks a lot like some kinda mystic symbol to me.
It kinda reminds me of the symbol on the cover of... Wait, what was it called again?
"The Adventures of Knight and Guild Guild?"
Yeah, that! How'd you remember it?
Ranger asked Colette for it so he could scribble the symbol on his hand. Using crayons. Come to think of it, that book kinda...eerily parallels what we've done so far, huh?
M-maybe the writer was just very prescient?

SYSTEM: Could this be the mysterious field the Minister spoke of? But nothing happens even when you reach out and touch the device. Perhaps because it is not yet night...

Oh. Right. Dubois did say that, huh?

Much better.

SYSTEM: Could this be the mysterious field the Minister spoke of? As you unconsciously reach towards it, you find yourself floating, just as when you touch a Geomagnetic Pole in the forest!
Hm?!
W-what's happening?!

Woah-woah-woah-woah!
Rrreerrgh!

Wh-who are you?
More like "where are you?"
SYSTEM: Startled by the disembodied voice, you cast around for its source, but it simply continues, calm and placid.
But the creeds of the past carry little weight today. This land's role will soon come to a close.

I'm not going to try to hide who's speaking here. If you've read Dr. Fetus's story LP, you'll remember this person--the Black Guardian--from when Knight first got the power of the Fafnir Knight.

W-wait... "This land's role?" What d-does that mean, exactly? Please, tell us...!
Child of man. Unsealed ones. You are...not the ones that I have been awaiting.
Well, that's just rude.
However, your presence here cannot be anything but fate. Show me, then, the strength that dwells within you. Perhaps...the extinguished light of hope may yet be rekindled.
SYSTEM: The voice fades away, its parting words as cryptic and confusing as the first...
Wait, don't you leave us! What did any of that even mean?! "This land's role will soon come to a close?" Is everyone going to die?!
SYSTEM: As you ponder what the voice could have meant, you set forth to try and find an exit from the ruins...
Well, I guess there's no reason to stay here. C'mon, everyone, let's get moving.

Welcome to Ginnungagap B3F, a very special floor--in fact, it's the only one of its kind across the entire Etrian Odyssey series.

Firstly, we spawn right in front of three chests.

Which all contain Return Flutes. That might seem confusing, but...

Ugh. What is it now?
This place was created as a trial--a solemn gauntlet by which one might train themselves. It thirsts for life energy. A barrier was here cast, long ago. Even with your might, you cannot escape it until you have withstood its ordeals...
SYSTEM: Its grave proclamation finished, the voice fades once more into silence... If the voice is to be believed, you will be unable to return until you have cleared these trials...
No. No no no no no that can't be right. Freyja, get the Ariadne Thread out. We're going back to town.
...I-it's not working...
...Oh gods. That voice wasn't joking.
Just what have we gotten ourselves into?

Yep.

SYSTEM: However, you can use items and skills to return to the start point. Think carefully and clear this floor!

Once you enter Ginnungagap B3F, you can't leave it until you've reached the end. While this isn't quite as bad as it may seem at first, believe me, the first time I played EO2U and reached this part, I was completely unprepared, and I actually ate quite a few restarts/game overs before I finally got to the end.

The floor is, mercifully, very short once you know your way around it, but you still need to approach this place differently than you would a normal Labyrinth floor. The big thing is that, unless you have a Sovereign (for reasons we'll see later), conserving your TP is a necessity. Running out in the middle of the floor is a really lovely situation to be stuck in, given that you can't just leave and rest up.

Got all that? Good. Let's begin.

Grim Mantis
HP: 1900, STR: 30, TEC: 24, VIT: 26, AGI: 19, LUC: 24
Skills:
  • Charge: Uses the head. Increases the user's physical damage by 100% on the next turn. User can be stunned and knocked out of the Charge state by Blast Grenades. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Scythe Slash: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one row. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Execution Scythe: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target. Attempts to instantly kill the target, with a 15% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Soft Scythe. 80% chance. Sells for 308 en. 1 needed to make Harpe (+103 ATK).
    "The massive scythe of a forest mantis. It's said that many died to its edge."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 150% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

One slash from its razor-sharp claws can lop off the head of a careless adventurer.

Grim Mantises are basically the game reminding you that carrying some Blast Grenades around is always a good idea. If they don't Charge up their skills, they're honestly not *that* big a threat--at least compared to the stuff we were fighting in the secret area. Remember that Longisquamas had 41 STR--30 is an incredibly big step down from that.

If they DO get to use Charge, though, you can say goodbye to one of your party members or, worse, an entire row.

Put those claws away, please...

Are the silver bits metal?
Nope. They taste kinda like fish, I guess.

One scythe-claw, cleanly severed.
Brrrgh...
Who's even going to carry something that big?

First room has nothing interesting going on.

...Please tell me that was just your stomach, Sophie.

You obviously can't hear it, but something made the FOE "noticed" noise when we entered this room.

I don't see any FOEs though, do you?

Eh, kinda useful.

Did that w-wall just get closer?
You're just imagining things, Freyja... I hope...

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SadCaringJohndory.webm (GIF version)

AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
RRRRRRGH!
Guess Mimics aren't the only monster in the business of mimicking things.

Meet the Death Walls. These things are the primary fixtures of Ginnungagap B3F, and make up the backbone of its puzzles. Their movement pattern is kind of unique: if you're looking directly at them, they won't move. If you move when you're not directly looking at them, however, they will move towards you very quickly.

KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!

...Wait, no, that's a terrible idea!

Death Wall
HP: 8834, STR: 40, TEC: 30, VIT: 35, AGI: 19, LUC: 33
Skills:
  • Thousand Eyes: Cannot be disabled. Prevents the use of the Escape command. Does not use the Death Wall's turn.
  • Crush: Uses the arms. Deals 160% melee STR-based Bash damage to the entire party. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Reflect Guard: Cannot be disabled. Counters physical damage to the Death Wall on that turn with 150% melee STR-based Almighty damage to the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Rigid Fragment. 100% chance. Sells for 975 en. 1 needed to make Shield Wall (+35 DEF, +10% Cut, Stab, and Bash resistances).
    "A hard chunk used when mimicking a wall. It can be used to make protective shields."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 0% 0% 0% 50% 0%
0% 10% 0%
25% 25% 25%

It is disguised as a wall, ready to prey on adventurers. Its gaze can immobilize you!

The most notable thing about Death Walls is just how much punishment they can take. 8834 HP already takes quite a bit to chew through, and 35 VIT plus 75% resistance to all physical damage just makes it even worse.

Crush would also 100% kill Ursa if she uses Hit-Taker when it happens, and will leave the rest of the party really badly hurt (it might even just kill Freyja or Asriel).

Oh, yeah, Thousand Eyes.

C'mon, let's get outta--

A-a-a-ah... I c-can't move...
Well, isn't this just a great situation.
Wait, those flutes that were at the start...!

Smart thinking, Freyja!
Th-thank you...

The only ways out of a Death Wall fight are Flee on a Protector (whom we don't have right now), Return Flutes, waiting for the Death Wall to use Reflect Guard and escaping on that turn (they use them according to this pattern: turns 3, 6, 10, 15...), killing the Death Wall, or dying to the Death Wall--and that last one isn't much of a way out, is it?

So yeah, that's how every Death Wall puzzle goes: if you get caught by one, you have to Return Flute back to the start of the floor, and do it over again. Unless you have a Sovereign (again, for reasons we'll see later), just cheesing the puzzles by killing the Death Walls isn't an option due to how annoying they are to kill. You'll run out of TP long before you kill even two of them.

Thankfully, the first puzzle only has that one Death Wall, and keeping it in place is as easy as it seems.

If these things have so many eyes, one would think they'd have some on their backs too.
I dunno about you, but if I could see both in front of and behind me, I'd get disoriented really quick.

Illbear
HP: 733, STR: 29, TEC: 24, VIT: 26, AGI: 20, LUC: 25
Skills:
  • Plague Club: Uses the arms. Deals 50% melee STR-based Bash damage to the entire party. Reduces the amount of HP the target recovers by 75% for 4 turns. Has a 110% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Ugly Horn. 45% chance. Sells for 140 en. 1 needed to make Luck Staff (+89 ATK, +35 TP, +10 LUC). 3 needed to make Fairy Boots (+15 DEF, +1 STR, +1 AGI).
    "An Illbear's small horn that spreads sickness. Exercise caution with it to avoid disease."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 125% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 100% 100% 100% 150% 100%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Those struck by its club find that their wounds do not heal normally. Try to evade this one!

Illbears themselves aren't that remarkable. Plague Club is annoying when you have a Beast tanking the party's hits, especially when you're partnering them with a Medic, but it deals so little damage on its own that it doesn't matter a lot.

Blrrrgh...

What the hell's on that club, anyway?

Hrmph.

Ursa has all the shielding skills I want from her, so I'm going to have her go for the Auto-Lick build now. To refresh your memory, Lick Wounds heals one target's HP and removes binds from them (103% healing power and 1 bind at level 2), while Auto-Lick gives the Beast a chance to use it on themself when they take damage (16% at level 5, 24% at level 10).

Bleh.

Getting to that chest, incidentally, is easy--just back into it while keeping your eye on the Death Wall there.

At least we have a shortcut now in case we have to Return Flute again.

I'm starting to get paranoid about what's a wall and what isn't.
Eh, I'm sure this is just a norm--

Oh, come on.

W-we're boxed in, too...

Back we go.

Okay, here's how you actually do this room.

Walking over here will aggro the Death Wall here on you.

Backtrack a little...

Take the fork we just went down...

If that voice that was talking to us is responsible for designing this place, I'm gonna give them such a whacking...

And we're home free.

Awww, look at that pink monster. I almost don't want to eat it...
Almost?

Deathly Pumpkin
HP: 495, STR: 28, TEC: 24, VIT: 23, AGI: 20, LUC: 29
Skills:
  • Confuse Vine: Uses the arms. Attempts to inflict panic on one row, with a 60% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Gourd Head. 55% chance. Sells for 147 en. 1 needed to make Pumpkin Hat (+24 DEF, +1 TEC).
    "Large pumpkin like a laughing face. It sells out in certain times of year."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 0% 50% 50% 50%
100% 100% 50%
200% 200% 200%

A gourd whose vines can spread insanity with a single touch! A true herald of the underworld.

There's not a ton to Deathly Pumpkins. Just take proper precautions, if possible, to ensure Confuse Vine doesn't tag too many people, since having 2 or 3 people panicked can be a really bad situation.

Axolotl
HP: 196, STR: 26, TEC: 26, VIT: 19, AGI: 16, LUC: 22
Skills:
  • Blessed Light: Used after a random number of turns. Cannot be disabled. Fully restores the party's Force--this includes characters who have used Force Breaks. Kills the Axolotl upon use.
  • Forbidden Light: Used upon death. Breaks the entire party's Force.
Drops:
  • Normal: Pink Leather. 70% chance. Sells for 299 en. 1 needed to make Rouge Glove (+19 DEF, +5 TP). 5 needed to make Rose Cuirass (+41 DEF).
    "Soft leather with a distinct pink color. It's popular among young women."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 150% 150% 150% 100% 150%
100% 100% 150%
100% 100% 100%

A curious Ginnungagap resident, it emits light that either means good fortune or certain doom.

Axolotls, on the other hand, are one of the most interesting random encounters in the game. They don't attack you at all--they are completely non-hostile. If you leave them be for some amount of turns, they'll completely restore your party's Force, even if you used Force Breaks. This is why I was saying Sovereigns can enable a lot of TP sustain down here: you can just use Proof of Nobility, run into an Axolotl, and have it again.

On the other hand, if you just blindly use AOEs or are an inhuman monster and kill the Axolotl in particular, it will instead completely break your party's Force, which can really suck if you get into a situation where you, for example, need Medical Miracle to save yourself from a game over but don't have it available.

I'll demonstrate Blessed Light by having Freyja use Rose Prison on one of the pumpkins.

You n-never know when a pumpkin might turn violent...
...And here I thought she was one of the more rational people in the guild.
You just had a breakdown over empty rooms.

What just happened? Where'd the axolotl go?!
It killed itself to give us our Force energy back, I think.
Aww...

I-I told you...

Pfffffft. You suck at your job when you can't even inflict an ailment on Asriel despite having a 60% base chance and a LUC advantage.

Hey, look, just like I said: Freyja's Force is back.

Nothing else of note happened.

Alright, the final part of Ginnungagap B3F. The floor's really short, mostly because a gimmick floor where you prevent the player from leaving until it's over rides a fine line between "acceptable" and "completely unfair bullshit."

It took me a few tries and a game over to get how to approach this room on my first time playing the game (because I am incredibly thick-headed), but here's how you do it. Firstly, aggro the FOE in the top-right-most part of the room, shown here.

Walk up this corridor. Keep your eye on the Death Wall over there, or else it WILL start a fight with you.

This will also draw the aggro of the last Death Wall.

Then you just head up to the door, and you're home free.

You have cleared the trials of this ancient place, even while forbidden from returning to safety...
But of course. I don't wanna die in a dark ruin surrounded by unappetizing monsters.
I have witnessed your strength. Thus, I lift the barricades of time, and allow you safe return to your present... However, if you wish to know the truth behind this place... Continue onward through these sanctified halls. Cross the Door of the Boundary, and once you overcome the next obstacle... I shall show you the true purpose that lies behind Ginnungagap.
SYSTEM: With that, the voice is gone. You can listen to the voice and proceed onwards, or use the Geomagnetic Pole to return to safety...
As much as I'd like to pretend none of this ever happened, that stuff earlier about "this land's role will soon come to a close" has me really worried.
Time to press on, then.

This Geomagnetic Pole's kind of redundant, as you will soon see shortly.

Look, it's that symbol again.
If Ranger wanted to draw that symbol on his hand... Maybe he knows more about this place than he's letting on?
Doubt it.
He doesn't seem like someone who keeps secrets well...
...Good point.

These are basically stairs, not a Geomagnetic Pole.

We're in the bottom parts of Ginnungagap now, and with that comes new music. It's not all that different from the first version, but eh.

These are the deepest recesses of Ginnungagap...normally unreachable by those of your world. ...But, as surely as time flows, the will of this world is also fading. My only course is to relay the truth to those who seek enlightenment...
Relay it without the weird purple prose, then.
Unknown adventurers...if you seek the truth of this place, then I bid you overcome yet one further trial.

Release the four seals within this land, and stand against the illusions that yet remain! Your ordeal lies beyond the door to the south. I bid you prepare.
SYSTEM: At those words, the voice fades away. You resolve to explore Ginnungagap further...
Hm. Something tells me we may have gotten involved in something far beyond us.
I-I feel like we're getting involved with calamitous things here...
I can't believe none of you are focusing on the fact that we're in the deep part of an ancient ruin. There's probably tons of treasure to be found here!
Well, Realga, it's nice that no matter what happens, your priorities always stay the same... I guess. I'm really tired after that last floor, can we please go back to town and sleep?
Agreed.

And this is why I said the last Pole was redundant. Incidentally, we can now warp to both of the Poles we just found from the Forest Entrance now.

Let's close out the update with some items, including one very important one.

Harpe (+103 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Soft Scythe. It's a boring sword with no extra attributes, next.

Rouge Glove (+19 DEF, +5 TP) is unlocked by selling 1 Pink Leather. It's a glove with a minor TP increase. Yawn.

Fairy Boots (+15 DEF, +1 STR, +1 AGI) are unlocked by selling 3 Ugly Horns. We've had boots that give +1 STR or +1 AGI for a while. If you really want slightly more DEF, then feel free to buy these.

And now, the big one: Luck Staff (+89 ATK, +35 TP, +10 LUC) is unlocked by selling 1 Ugly Horn. This thing is basically Sophie's ultimate weapon, and is the last weapon I'll be purchasing for her. The TP boost is pretty nice, but look at that LUC increase! Look at it! +10 LUC is an incredibly big boost to Sophie's chances of inflicting disables on things.

It's so amazing, I could almost cry. Sophie's LUC in this state, with the +10 LUC food, the Fortune Necklace, the Pointy Hat, and the Luck Staff, is higher than almost every boss in the game, including most of the postgame bosses, and she's only level 41! The only bosses that outpace her in terms of LUC are the postgame superboss, and three DLC bosses you're supposed to fight after said superboss.

Join us next time, as we kind of learn a bit more about Ginnungagap. Kind of.

Rea fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 10, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Those wall monsters creep me out.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Those guys are cool.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I love Lava Beasts. They're adorable. :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stone Gleam: Cannot be disabled. Used 3 turns after summoning, waits one turn, then will continually be used until the Basilisk Eye dies. Attempts to petrify one row, with a 999% chance. Has a 10% speed modifier.

I love negative feedback loops. :shepicide:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus loving christ. I know it took me a couple tries to fight that boss...but I never had THAT kind of bad luck with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kemix posted:

Jesus loving christ. I know it took me a couple tries to fight that boss...but I never had THAT kind of bad luck with it.

The only bit of bad luck that happened was that Chloe got arm bound. My strategy kind of heavily relied on that not happening. Then things spiraled out of control from there. That's Etrian Odyssey for you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Lava Beasts are interesting FOEs. You... have to be trying to get into a fight with their powered-up forms? Or is salamander breath more inevitable at that point?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

The Lava Beasts are interesting FOEs. You... have to be trying to get into a fight with their powered-up forms? Or is salamander breath more inevitable at that point?

The later rooms make it much more difficult to both avoid the Lava Beasts and catch them after they've lost their power--stuff like the tiny corridor and the room with two of the Lava Beasts. The latter is actually difficult enough that I just said "screw it" and gambled on running from a fight with both of them.

My first time playing EO2U, I actually just let the Lava Beast in the narrow corridor room chase me as far as it could, and tried to Escape each time. This, amazingly, actually worked. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 13: Basilisk

You stop and cautiously sniff the air. Indeed, something smells to high heaven...

You think there's a body nearby?
A-A corpse, you say!?
It's the smell of decaying organic matter. Not far away, either. Can we check it out?

It does seem to be the smell of some kind of dead flesh... whether animal or person, you cannot say. You can investigate your surroundings to find out, if you wish.

We may as well.

You follow the fowl stench and push through the underbrush...

Oh...

Though it has begun decomposing, not many days seem to have passed since its death. Given a few more days, the corpse will return to the forest... But until then, there may be some usable parts left. You may search the corpse despite the stench, or leave this place at once.

Oh dear... I don't feel up for this.
But it's a waste to let it rot away.

Steeling yourself against the stench, you kneel at the corpse--when you pick up on the sound of a fast-approaching screech!

Knight, we've got company!

Flavio can barely mouth the words before a monster, drawn by the rotten flesh, charges at you from the brush!

It goes down without issue.

Over the corpse...? Is that what that monster was after?
Probably. Animals that eat rotten flesh aren't so uncommon.
Th-They eat rotten flesh...!?
If we stay here, more might come.
Actually, if the smell gets on us, they might attack again.
I-I can see where that would be a problem...!

Though your attacker is vanquished, the lingering potential threat drives you from this place with haste.

Oh, but before we go...!

Ooh, I didn't see that vine there at all. Good catch, kid.

I'll go get one too.
Uh, no! Bad idea!

Fearing another attack, you leave this place as soon as you are able.

...There's nothing here?

Though you remain cautious of your surroundings for a while, no further sign of the threat presents itself. Could whatever it was have already left this place? Yet you cannot discount the possibility that whatever menaced you so still lurks, waiting to strike... You wonder if it would be prudent to draw your weapons before proceeding deeper into the room.

If there's a monster here, we can probably handle it.

We should be careful.

When you reach the center of the room, there is a violent susurrus of leaves!

Aah...!?

Something passes before you, but when it sees your weapons, it just as quickly withdraws into the forest.

Wh-What was that!?
I couldn't tell if it was a beast or a person.

You look to where the blur rushed past you like a sudden storm, and notice something scattered about the ground.

Nuts? Did it drop these?
We should keep them, as payment for it giving us such a scare.

Though you know not what that mysterious creature was, the nuts, at least, have done nothing to offend you. You gratefully collect them and move on.

Not much to see on this floor, really.

You can encounter this thing earlier, if you bought the Yggdrasil-Bud Tea DLC. If you didn't, this is where you can first encounter it.

There is a plant before you. However, it seems to be moving continuously, as though it were an animal of some kind.

Just watching it move sort of calms you down, doesn't it?
Let's take it home.
Hey, quit that. Looks awfully suspicious to me.
You're boring.
Oh, yeah? Sure, I'm boring all of a sudden 'cause I gotta be the voice of reason here.
My way sounds better. Like a dream. I bet Knight thinks so too.

I agree with Chloe.
See.
Who said this was a democracy? I'm telling you, you can't just bring home weird stuff from the Labyrinth.
Asked Knight first.
Honestly, you get worked up over the smallest stuff. That's not cute, y'know.

As Chloe and Bertrand argue, the plant wobbles, as if responding to their voices...

I agree with Bertrand.
Heh, see?
Knight. You're just a boring adult with no dreams... Disappointing.
I just tried to analyze the situation with a cool head!
When you say it, Trand, it doesn't sound that convincing.

As Chloe and Bertrand argue, the plant wobbles, as if responding to their voices...

Well, Flavio?
Wh--Hey, why are you dumping this in MY lap!?
Alright, kid. So?
Who's right?
I don't have anything to do with this! Why am I involved!?

As you all argue, the plant wobbles, as if responding to your voices...

What do you think, Arianna?
I, too, wish to bring it back with us. Will that not do, Sir Bertrand?
Arianna agrees. Let's bring it back.
Ugh. You get one person on your side, and suddenly you're full speed ahead again...

As you all discuss custody of the odd plant, it wobbles, as if responding to your voices...

Dialogue merges here.

You watch its motions a little while longer... and it suddenly lunges at you!

AUGH!

Oh crud, not goo-

...Never mind. That's not actually scripted to happen, I actually just got a bit unlucky.

Yggdrasil Bud
Level: 1
HP: 50
STR: 5
TEC: 5
VIT: 5
AGI: 5
LUC: 5
Skills: N/A
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Yeah this FOE is pretty much pathetic. Just smack it and get your prize.

Now if you're fighting these enemies through the DLC quests, you would be getting far more. However, regular versions only give out one of their ingredient drop at a time.

I said less than a minute ago that it was suspicious.
You're still boring, Trand.
You little--

No more fighting, okay?
Was... that a fight?
Once again, completely over her head...
Ah, but it seems that monster dropped some new ingredients! Perhaps we can develop some new dishes, Dame Chloe!
Let's go back and check then.
Geez, that was a fast turnaround!
Now I look like an idiot for even arguing with her at all...
Well, at least it was pretty weak. If we get that kind of stuff out of it, we should knock them out whenever we see 'em.

That's a bit redundant.

I understand! I will make sure to remember that.

After your conversation, you return to your exploration.

Well the stairs are nearby, so let's go to the 7th floor.

Let's go deeper into Ginnungagap, for Arianna's sake.

You remember now that you must go further within Ginnungagap to carry out the ritual. In defence to your original duty, you decide to head back the way you came.

Oh, fine. We'll follow the railroad instead. After a quick trip to cook this new ingredient.

Rare ingredients? Well, let's see...
Wait, this is--It's an ingredient that can only be obtained from a Yggdrasil Bud!
Is it something good?
This ingredient is used in a recipe that predates even Apicius's work. I've only read of it in ancient tomes... These were so difficult to find, some called it a mythical recipe...
How in the world did you find this?

All of these answers are technically true.

I'm just a lucky guy.
Oh? Still, impressive... According to Grandpa, luck is a special gift that no amount of hard work can get you. As long as you have it, I suggest you use that luck wisely. Here, take this. It's a recipe from the old texts... It shows how to prepare this ingredient.

We walked around a lot.
Haha, I suppose it's a reward for all the effort you put into your exploring. Good work. ...It might have seemed like pure chance, but behind that, you found it through hard work and dedication. Here, take this. It's a recipe from the old texts... It shows how to prepare this ingredient.

There's one weird trick...
Hm. I'm not an expert on exploring... but I'm sure when you've been doing it for that long, you pick up some tricks of the trade. All it takes is the know-how, and it's yours, huh? Quite an interesting thought. Here, take this. It's a recipe from the old texts... It shows how to prepare this ingredient.

If the texts are true, there are two other ingredients like this one. If the opportunity comes up, could you try searching for them?

Keep in mind that you can't advertise these teas. They're for your own personal use only.

It's done. This is Yggdrasil-bud tea!
Ooh... This is a good tea. The color is clear, and above all the scent is excellent.
Yes, you're right...
It has a hint of sweetness. Did you add some sugar?
No, I didn't add anything. This is the natural flavor of the bud.
Hmmm... It's sweet just making the tea, huh? That's amazing.
I don't like tea that much, but I like this.
I want to keep smelling it.
Haha, this is what I'd expect from Apicius's recipe. Enjoy the scent.

The true effects of this tea are that it forces enemy drop rates to increase to 100% (It doesn't force conditional drops, but if you do fulfill their conditions, they're guaranteed to drop) and when gathering at item points, you're guaranteed to get 3 to 5 of the rare item there. So essentially, this tea is meant for grinding item drops.

However, the effects of the tea only last for one Labyrinth trip. So if you don't have the DLC, you can't really take advantage of this tea, as it's nearly impossible to grind up a supply of these ingredients while playing normally. See, after taking out the respective Yggdrasil plant once, they'll start showing up randomly on other floors. With an extremely slim chance of happening. So if you want to take advantage of the teas, you must pay for their respective DLC.

Okay, let's finally get going to Ginnungagap.

The concern in the young man's voice is starkly evident. Still, your pulse, breathing, and overall fitness all seem ordinary. You haven't heard the strange voice again either, suggesting that you're in no apparent danger.

You're such a worrier.
Hey, it's been my job to worry about you since we were kids, haha.
The reason for the curious change in Sir Knight must be something that affected him here... Let's proceed with caution.

You check the wall near the lever, and just as Brucke said, you find the slot where you must insert the Dynamo Stone. The stone currently fitted there is dull and cracked...

If I understand properly... We must remove this old Dynamo Stone and insert the fresh one, yes?

Arianna does just that, swapping out the old Dynamo Stone for the new, and then pulls the lever.

The bridge rises all the way this time.

The bridge came up. Cool.

With loud clanging, the bridge reforms, allowing you safe passage to the other side.

Now we can finally go further in.
Yes. And with luck, we may proceed far enough inside to perform the ritual!

Your duty is to deliver the woman to the Hall of Sealing, said to be in the depths of Ginnungagap. You decide to proceed across the bridge in order to get closer to that goal.

Look.
Hm? Is that... a drawbridge?
There are many bridges here, it seems.
But all these bridges are up. We won't get anywhere like this.
Oh dear... Another setback already...
Oh, but look, there is something we can try. Those bridges to the north and east don't have it, but the one to the west has a machine we can probably use.

Huh... So the machine to raise the bridge is only set up on one side of it.
In which case, we will need to raise and lower the bridges accordingly if we are to make any progress.
You're right. Ugh, just when we thought there'd be smooth sailing. Figures... Why won't this place just let us waltz on in, huh?
It seems fun. Knight, hurry and use it.

You can do as the girl coaxes you to and try manipulating the drawbridge, if you wish.

A bit further in...

The moment the bridge is lowered, Flavio raises his voice and points.

For the love of... We just got the bridge set up and it's already about to charge!
Interesting. We were not the only ones keeping a close watch on the state of the bridge, it seems.
Yeah. It looks like it'll come right at us if it has a clear shot, so we need to be careful how we use these bridges.
Then let's do that.

In case you thought that the drawbridges were nothing more than glorified shortcuts, they're not. They're pretty much the main gimmick of this floor. Oh and don't think those FOEs are just more Mercenary Boars. Those are actually Boar Captains, stronger versions of that boss. So don't get fooled by model reuse and think that you can easily circumvent these puzzles.

The woman walking beside you sighs under her breath.

Let's keep moving.
Oh, my apologies... But... I wonder if this is how things will be for the rest of our journey.

You ask the woman what she means by her anxious comment.

I'm surprised at how dilapidated these ruins of Ginnungagap are...
Yeah. They're collapsed all over. Didn't they tell us at the Grand Duchy that they couldn't do any upkeep on the place?
That's why even the bridge lost power.
Indeed... ...I was told that Ginnungagap was a legendary place of great importance.
It was my impression that this would be a well-tended holy ground... I confess to some disappointment.
F-Forgive me, this has nothing to do with the task at hand.

Can you still do the ritual?
It's just that... I'm worried that the Hall of Sealing, where the ritual must take place, will be equally in shambles.

Before you can reassure the woman, she seems to right herself, and chirps for your band to continue onward. You nod to yourself and delve further into the ruins, toward the Hall of Sealing.

Eventually I go back to resupply.

This will surely help the farmers there, and more people might soon come to visit Cafe.
Well, let's head to the bar to report the results!

And get a reminder for the Urban planning quest. Anyways...

The black-robed girl touches the door which looms in front of her...

Wait. Hold on... ...I don't like the feel of what's up ahead.

The young man directs an unusually serious gaze at the door. You, too, can sense the reason for his unease beyond it... Your surroundings are deathly silent, but you feel something dangerous lurking beyond that door.

This may be a sanctuary, but given how run-down it is, I wouldn't be surprised if something nasty took up residence. All I'm saying is, stay on your toes.
Mm...

You may proceed forth if you wish, or exercise caution and withdraw for no to better prepare yourselves.

Translation, there's a boss fight. Get ready before going beyond the door.

And here's our party's builds. Once again, I'm using the TP Up food, but I would rather have a different food in this case. Which sadly, isn't available at this point. Oh well, let's go.

Yikes! Wh-What is that!?
It's... quite large...
A lizard with four arms. Neat.
Don't get all giddy now, Chloe. That thing's primed to attack.

Watch my flank!
You may trust in us, Sir Knight!
Yeah, you don't have to tell us twice.
Healing's my job. I'll do it.
*groan*... You kids are spoiling for a fight, huh?

You take up arms and stand against the monster that nests in this sanctuary!

I won't lose!

Basilisk
Level: 18
HP: 4320
STR: 19
TEC: 17
VIT: 18
AGI: 14
LUC: 19
Skills:
  • Dark Moon: Uses the arms. Deals melee 130% STR-based Bash damage to one target, with half-damage splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 80 base accuracy.
  • Impairing Claws: Uses the arms. Deals 4 instances of melee 80% STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Pound: Uses the arms. Deals melee 90% STR-based Bash damage to the entire party. Attempts to Paralyze hit targets, with a 20% chance. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Doom Breath: Cannot be disabled. Reduces one row's max HP by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 100% speed modifier.
  • Call Ally: Summons Basilisk Eye.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 0% 0% 0% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
0% 50% 25%

Basilisk is a bit weaker than Chimaera, and the reason for that will be seen a bit later in the fight.

Starting off with setting up a Delayed Chase.

Also setting up Artery.

Gonna Front Guard the Basilisk's attacks. They're all physical, so that's pretty much what he's gonna be doing throughout the fight.

This is power!

Gonna try to Blind the thing. If I can manage that, the fight will become much easier. Though the chances aren't good, because discounting Flavio's massive LUC disadvantage, he only has a 49% chance of pulling that off.

More setting up on my end.

Ugh, didn't land the Blind. Maybe I should focus have on raising Flavio's LUC instead of his AGI.

Basilisk decided to use Dark Moon first.

Oh that's just a fantastic start!

At least the arm bind doesn't stop Artery.

Time to come out swinging.

No more games.

Basilisk's weakness is Volt, so that's what I'm gonna use.

I was hoping to have Chloe use Ailing Slash, but that's not an option for me right now.

But good thing I packed all those Therica As.

Now that I'm using elemental attacks, it's time to start using Link Order.

Oh come on!

Sorry.

OH COME ON!

Blood for blood.

Thunder Wave racked up about a total of 190 damage. Not bad.

That's significantly more damage than I was doing to Chimaera. I've already knocked out about 1/10th of its HP. This fight should be going by a lot faster.

Let the current flow!

It may be dangerous to leave those eyes be like this. You can attack its eyes, or ignore it and take a different action.

Oh great. Here's basically something that a lot of bosses in this game incorporate that I'm really not a fan of. Helpers.

Basilisk Eye
Level: 18
HP: 680
STR: 21
TEC: 17
VIT: 18
AGI: 14
LUC: 19
Skills:
  • Stone Gleam: Cannot be disabled. Used 3 turns after summoning, waits one turn, then will continually be used until the Basilisk Eye dies. Attempts to petrify one row, with a 999% chance. Has a 10% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

Essentially the boss can summon another enemy to help them out, and if you leave the helper alone for too long, it's game over. I don't like them because they tend to bring the fight to a screeching halt since you have to focus on damaging them instead of the boss itself.

So yeah, the Basilisk Eye. Basilisk brings it out when it reaches 80% or 40% HP. If you don't take it out within 3 turns, it starts petrifying your party. And you can't resist the Petrification, since it has a 999% success rate. So you have to take out the eyes.

Time to finish up that combo.

I'm gonna use the fact that Bertrand is slower than Basilisk to my advantage. Since I'm having him use a Nectar, he'll revive Chloe after Basilisk has attacked, which will prevent her from dying immediately after being revived.

Get outta my way!

May as well have Flavio use his Force Break. I don't see the fight lasting long enough for him to use his Force Boost again.

Force Boost!

And I'm gonna have Arianna boost our whole party's damage, because why not?

Some nice damage to both the eyes and the Basilisk.

Okay, not having Bertrand use Front Guard was a risky move there.

Some more damage to the eyes.

I'm not gonna waste this on the eyes, they're almost dead. Instead I'll use it on Basilisk.

Going for broke.

It may seem crazy to use her Force Break without taking advantage of her Force Boost, but my front line is in dire straits right now, and I don't have any multi-target heals on me. It's pretty much all or nothing here.

Link Order II is basically Link Order, only as an AOE. I'll use this to finish off the eyes.

Okay, my party shouldn't be in any danger of dying for a while.

Oh wow, that was pretty much a 10th of its HP right there.

And now I don't have to worry about the eyes. At least, not until they're summoned for a 2nd time.

For the rest of the fight, I'm just gonna have Knight use Delayed Chase + Shock Sabre.

Also now I can finally have Chloe dish out some damage.

I'll stake my pride on this!

And may as well have Arianna use her Force Break.

Just like I planned!

Oh, finally!

At the very least, it'll keep our party going for a bit longer.

And here's Chloe hitting like a truck.

Shock Sabre is pretty much his main form of offense since he can't transform anymore.

I had Arianna use Attack Order on the front row, so Chloe's hitting harder now. She's pretty much taking of 5% of Basilisk's HP with each Ailing Slash.

Oh dear. Basilisk's attacks just got a lot more dangerous.

Here we go again.

I'm gonna have Knight and Arianna target the eyes.

While Chloe targets Basilisk.

Oh great. This is gonna hurt.

While Chloe took a beating (and is dishing it back), it managed to miss the rest of the party (Aside from Flavio.)

Yeah, the eyes should go down pretty quickly.

I come through when it counts!

It just occurred to me that I could use Bertrand's Force Boost to mitigate the HP penalty from Doom Breath.

But I need to heal up Chloe as well. Even a Front Guard under the effects of Shield Protect can't help her when she only has 9 HP left.

Much better.

And the eyes go down!

Crud. The blind wore off, though thankfully the fight is almost over.

I'm gonna try for another Blind Arrow, but even discounting the LUC disadvantage, Flavio only has around a 13% chance to inflict Blind again.

Shield Protect is pretty much reducing Basilisk's damage to laughable levels. It just doesn't look like it due to the effects of Doom Breath.

Chloe isn't dealing as much damage as before with Ailing Slash, but it's still a respectable amount.

Just watch me go!

And since this is the last turn of Bertrand's Force Boost, I may as well use his Force Break.

Nope.

Okay, Basilisk can't have much fight left in it now.

Oh. Well this fight is pretty much over.

I'll just use Sonic Raid to secure the win.

Got it.

And Basilisk goes down!

A bit of a tougher fight than Chimaera, but it went a lot more smoothly.

Did that... do it...!?

As you swallow hard and watch in trepidation, the lizard's body slowly collapses to the ground...

Victory is ours!
...That was hard.
But we did it. Looks like we can finally pick up where we left off exploring Ginnungagap. Still, that was one tough customer. I feel more drained from fighting that than anything else so far.

It didn't take as long as the Chimaera fight, and we had 6 people for that!

It was a breeze.
Well, aren't you impressive. Guess you won't mind if I slack off a bit the next time, huh?

The surly, tired protector's words remind you why you came to this room. Could this be the Hall of Sealing Arianna spoke of? You glance about to search for the woman.

You notice that the princess is standing alone, before a large door in the depths of the crumbling hall.

...Arianna?
The ritual cannot be performed without the mark spoken of in lore. I thought that I might find it beyond this door...

The woman tries pushing and pulling at the door, but it shows no sign of movement.

What about sliding it?

Arianna tries the robed girl's suggestion, yet it remains fixed in place.

...Breaking it down's probably out of the question, I guess.

Flavio's shoulders sag as he knocks and prods at the door. As you watch from behind him, you hear a voice call out from somewhere...

A flash of blue.

When we beat bosses in Ginnungagap, we get passive abilities for Knight. What this does is that it lets Fafnir endure a killing blow while he's Transformed. It only works once per Transform, through, but it's guaranteed to work. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on Instant Death attacks.

You emerge from your reverie to find that your companions have gathered around you, regarding you with concern.

Sir Knight... Are you certain you're feeling well?

Seeing the worry on your companions' faces, you explain to them the voice you just heard...

A voice only Knight can hear, huh...?
And this voice said that the Hall of Sealing is past the door, yes?
If we can believe what Knight says, anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's not him I'm doubting. I just can't be sure if we can trust a voice the rest of us can't hear. How about the rest of you? From what you've heard, do you think this voice can be trusted?

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know if we can really trust this voice. I mean I barely have an idea of what's going on here.

...I don't know.
That's normal. It's hard to tell if you can trust someone or not if they won't show their face.
But that's the only doubtful part. There's no proof it's lying.
In other words...?
It could be true.
Well, logically, sure...
...We have no way of knowing if it's true or false. What we do know is that Knight changed somehow... If going further into Ginnungagap can solve the mystery of that change, then I think we should do it. And hey, it might help Arianna perform the ritual as a bonus.
You two and the girl are the ones who need to do that. So if you say you want to keep going like the voice says, I have no objection.
I'll go too.
I... must perform the ritual. If the Hall of Sealing is past here, then that is where I must go.
Then it's decided. Knight, let's do what that voice said and go search for this 'third power.'

You should go to the Yggdrasil Labyrinth for now in search of the third power.

We can't proceed on from here due to the plot. Classic is also barred from entering the 2nd floor, but they're held back by a much flimsier excuse. Anyways, I warp back to town.

Oh? Weren't we going to obtain this third power, just as Sir Knight has told us?
Yeah, I guess... but I wonder what exactly we're supposed to do to get that power...
Knight, this is the third one, so that means you already have two powers?
Oh right, yeah. So? Do you already have two powers, Knight?

You know, I don't really recall.

...I don't remember.
I see. Well... I guess there's not much we can do, then.
Why don't we try going into the Labyrinth in the meantime? We were told that we could obtain the new power there...
...... Knight. You remember what happened when we beat the Chimaera? There was a moment after the fight when I felt some immense power coming from you. I thought it might be another monster coming to attack us, but turns out it was just you. After we defeated the Basilisk, too. I felt the same thing again. ...You know, now that I think about it, something might've been happening to your body then. What do you think?

You may be onto something there.

Maybe you're right.
So... what you're saying is that Knight gained new power after beating the Chimaera and Basilisk...
If Sir Knight is able to defeat another powerful monster, then... perhaps he will gain yet more power?
If we make assumptions based on what we've observed so far, it seems probable.
But it seems unlikely we'll encounter many more monsters of comparable strength to the past two, even in the Labyrinth. It's a little difficult to set a course of action without more information.
...I'm thinking maybe we should try looking into what happened a hundred years ago.
Pardon!? How would that help us?
Well, other people did the ritual before us. If we look at what they did, then I figure we can work out what we gotta do.
I guess... but how are we even going to find information on something that happened a century ago?
...What do you think, Knight?

Let's try asking someone.
Ask someone? But who?
Hmm. Wonder if the folks of High Lagaard know anything? I mean, the ritual's always been performed at Ginnungagap, right?
You might be onto something. Maybe if we search the records at the Duke's Palace, something might turn up.
The Duke's Palace... You may be right. We may be able to find some clue about this within the records of High Lagaard.
Now that you mention it, the Minister said he was gonna check for any kind of information about it. Let's try heading to the Duke's Palace then, huh?

Sure, we'll do that. But that battle tired me out. I could use some sleep.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Okay, so after beating Basilisk, you're allowed to choose whoever's inn scene you want to see instead of them being in a set order. I held a vote to decide on the order I should see these in. The first one we're gonna be seeing is Bertrand's.

Who the heck is knocking at this hour?

Mind if I borrow this chair?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/LinearAnimatedAyeaye.webm
Remember how I said the inn scenes are missable? That includes the movies that pop up in some of them. If you want to complete your movie gallery, you have to see the inn scenes.

Whew, a nice drink after a hard day of exploring... It doesn't get more relaxing than this. You've been on your feet a lot, haven't you? Aren't you tired at all?

Not really.
Haha, that's youth for you. You've got a lot on your plate—leaving home to take care of this ritual thing, exploring... Guess that's why Flavio and Arianna count on you so much.
But you know... a break every now and then won't hurt. I mean, you've got that thing with your body to worry about.
The power of the Fafnir, was it? And now you're stuck with that crazy arm... What do you think about all this? You've gotta have a complaint or two about the whole thing to get off your chest.

I can't remove my armor...
Haha, guess it wouldn't do for people to see that arm of yours, huh? Yeah... no one knows the pain of having to keep armor on all the time better than a protector, trust me. Anyway, I think you're doing pretty good, all things considered.
......You've really done good at keeping it together, kid. You never asked for any of this. You got roped into it. But you don't complain or try to find a way out... Are you satisfied with your life, Knight?

I want to go back home.
Haha, that sounds about right. I hear from Flavio that you're one of the star pupils out at the Library. Sounds like that's where you belong. Hope you can get back there soon. Hm. Looks like I'm all out of booze.

See you tomorrow, Knight.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow...

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 11, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Time to prove my worth!

Junpei's Guide to Etrian Mythology

In these updates, I, Junpei, will explain some of the names of places, bosses, items, and other such things in EO. Let's start off with a few obvious choices.

Q: What's a Yggdrasil Labyrinth?
A: First, it's a where, not a what. In Norse myth, Yggdrasil is the world tree that all of the worlds are connected too. Here, in EO, it makes sense, as the Labyrinth of 2 is actually a gigantic tree.

Q: What's Ginnungagap?
A: Ginnungagap also takes it's name from a Norse source. Ginnungagap is the name of the world in the beginning, in the Norse creation myth. It was a large void in-between Muspellheimr, a fire realm, and Niflheimr, an ice world.

Q: What's Gladsheim?
A: Gladsheim, which was Ginnungagap's equivalent in EOU1, is the name of the realm where Odin, head god, put his seat in the halls of Valhalla.

Q: What's a Fafnir Knight?
A: This one's a doozy. To shorten a large myth, Fafnir was a man/dwarf, depending on source, who became enraptured by cursed gold. His jealousy and greed became so strong, he killed his own father and used magic to turn himself into a dragon to guard it. He was slain by the hero Sigurd by having his heart stabbed with the sword Gram.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do the eyes only pop out at those HP marks, or will they occasionally get resummoned if you're too slow to chip down the Basilisk's HP?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Do the eyes only pop out at those HP marks, or will they occasionally get resummoned if you're too slow to chip down the Basilisk's HP?

Just at certain HP thresholds. Bosses that have summons only summon based on patterns--most bosses just do it based on HP threshold, while Scylla does it based on what specific turn it is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it's just 80% and 40% where they get summoned. However, there are some bosses in the game that will randomly resummon their minions if you take too long to finish them off. Those won't be seen for a while, though.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The helpers are easily one of the most annoying parts of every boss fight in this game. I think the FOE bats in the Chimera's room are the only inoffensive ones in the entire game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

The helpers are easily one of the most annoying parts of every boss fight in this game. I think the FOE bats in the Chimera's room are the only inoffensive ones in the entire game.

Honestly, I really don't like the boss fights in this game. I think they're utter garbage, and I vastly preferred how the previous games handled those.

All the Vampire Bats do, if they join the Chimaera fight, is try to head bind your party members. They don't bother with attacks, and aside from that, there is no consequence for leaving them in the fight. In the later fights, so much importance is placed on the adds, that if you don't spend time killing them, your party dies. Like with Basilisk's Eye, which petrifies you if you don't kill it after 3 turns. Or Flame Demon's Cubes, which deals 800% Fire damage when they explode. Compare that with Kingly Fire, which only deals 350% Fire damage on the first cast, and 450% on the subsequent casts. Oh and they're both TEC based. I just found that they bring the fight to a screeching halt if you don't have a hyper offense party. If you do have one, they're an incredibly minor speed bump, or you don't get to face them at all.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 34: The Worst Robot

Okay, no, enough's enough. How the hell can everyone but me understand this stupid bear?
Oh, good morning, Realga! You can't understand Ursa?
No! All she does is make bear noises, how do you get comprehensible English out of that?!
You never asked politely. Did you ever consider asking politely?
?!
...Okay, no, Nadia. Come out here. We're not doing that.
Ahahaha! Sorry, Ursa and I've been planning that all week.
You both do realize that I hate you now, right?
Eh, whatever. I killed some time. Like I've been doing for months now.

Let's finish up the last of our pre-4th Stratum business today because it's been almost a real-life month since we last saw Petal Bridge, and that's frankly inexcusable by my standards.

Remind me, what was our goal again?
It was something along the lines of "grasp the invisible power," I think...
That could mean literally anything.

W-what's growing on the walls?
I dunno, but it looks organic, and I'm not touching it.
The water down in those small gaps looks like it's glowing, too.

Welcome to Ginnungagap B4F, aka Corridors Galore.

All the monsters are the same as what we saw in B3F, which makes sense.

Nothing happens until we actually go to one of the points marked on the map, but I just felt like mapping out the entire floor before starting the main gimmick to better give an idea of what's going on.

There really isn't a lot to comment on at the moment, as such.

Aside from this happening after a boring random encounter, yesssssssssssss. This is basically going on Freyja as soon as I leave the floor and it's never coming off. She's essentially only eats a +6 increase to TP cost for +80% or so base damage, meaning around 400% more damage when using Ecstasy on a fully bound target.

Like I said, corridors galore with no interesting new encounters. Let's head towards one of those marked tiles, shall we?

SYSTEM: Nothing is visible here, but you can sense some mysterious power in the air.
Rrr.
At least our bear can sense this stuff, I guess.
SYSTEM: When you reach out with your hand, the power dissipates and silence returns. You decide to resume exploring the ruins in search of the remaining seals.
Anyone just feel like the area just got a bit more evil?

...Where did those FOEs come from?
Suppose it was magic. Let's just get moving.

"Grasping at the invisible power" causes Dazing Pumpkins to spawn at basically each of the corners of the map. They take one step for every step we take, but (and this is really important): if there is a wall in the way, they will teleport to the other side immediately.

Y'know, most of the monsters we've met so far...look like monsters. But how do you explain that thing?
Whoever's making these things wants to make me happy, obviously. You've had pumpkin before, right?
Would a living, moving pumpkin really taste the same as the kinds you grow...?

For the record, each of the invisible power spots has the same dialogue.

When you activate a new one, though, they cause the pumpkins to despawn and respawn in new spots.

I'll spare you the trouble of going to the third one and just skip to the end. Very little happens on this floor, and while that's for good reason in Story mode (Dr. Fetus is going to have a field day with that one), in Classic mode it's just a really short, boring floor.

One trip back to town later to heal up, and we're ready for the upcoming boss fight.

What, you didn't see that coming by now?

SYSTEM: If you wish to progress any further, exercise great caution! Within, you will almost certainly encounter something of unearthly power...
Everyone ready for what that weird voice is gonna throw at us?
I think we're beyond the point where you need to ask.

The more observant of you might notice that I linked to the FM version of the soundtrack. That is because this upcoming fight is so boring that one of the few things I could think of to make it slightly less boring was to switch soundtracks for a short bit.

SYSTEM: In the middle of the room, the power you felt earlier manifests as a swirling hurricane-force wind...
W-what's going on?!
Welcome, adventurer. You now witness the remainder of Ginnungagap's power. This is all that remains of the might it once held... But even that...is enough to measure the abilities of a mere human.
Can you really call us "mere humans" after what we've been through so far?
Whether pursuing ancient riddles, or simply curious... For whatever reason you now stand here in this realm of isolation... The time has come to show me your power. You now face an illusion of Ginnungagap's conjury. Its power far exceeds that of the man that once walked these halls, long ago. If you can overcome it, I shall teach you the truth of this land. Come forth, Incarnation of Fafnir!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GrippingDapperGnatcatcher.webm (No GIF version available)

There's no further dialogue between that pan around Demi-Fafnir and the fight starting.

VIDEO: Boss Fight: Demi-Fafnir

That thing looks like it has more to do with fire than...whatever a Fafnir is.

Demi-Fafnir
HP: 10800, STR: 31, TEC: 35, VIT: 35, AGI: 28, LUC: 33
Skills:
  • Rising Flame: Uses the head. Deals 120% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Release Flame: Cannot be disabled. Summons two Control Devices. Deals 15% (if only one Control Device is alive) or 80% (if both are alive) ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party at the end of each turn for 4 turns. Release Flame ends when both Control Devices are killed. If the final Control Device is killed with an end-of-turn action (such as Additional Palm), Release Flame will become bugged--the visual effect will persist, but no damage will be dealt. All further Release Flames will not deal any damage.
  • Nihil Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chacne. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Flame Formation: Cannot be disabled. Deals 10 instances of 50% (if both Control Devices are dead), 150% (if only one is alive), or 500% (if both are alive) ranged TEC-based Fire damage to random targets. Can hit the same target twice at most. Has a 0% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Condemn Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals two instances of 70% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Overpower: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical/elemental attack by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict fear on each party member, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Soundless Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to inflict blind on and bind the heads of hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Undying Flame. 100% chance. Sells for 3500 en. 1 needed to make Flamberge (+104 ATK, normal attacks become Cut+Fire).
    "Flame with an endless burn. One can sense eternal power from its light, even in death."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 0% 0% 0% 25% 0%
0% 0% 0%
25% 0% 75%
AI pattern:
  • 100% to 75% HP:
    • Turn 1: Rising Flame
    • Turn 2: Attack
    • Loops until Demi-Fafnir drops below 75% HP.
  • 75% to 50% HP:
    • Turn 1: Release Flame
    • Turn 2: Nihil Blade
    • Turn 3: Attack
    • Turn 4: Nihil Blade
    • Turn 5: Flame Formation
    • Turn 6: Rising Flame
    • Turn 7: Attack or Condemn Blade
    • Turns 6 and 7 loop until Demi-Fafnir drops below 50% HP.
  • 50% to 25% HP:
    • Turn 1: Release Flame
    • Turn 2: Overpower
    • Turn 3: Nihil Blade
    • Turn 4: Attack
    • Turn 5: Flame Formation
    • Turn 6: Rising Flame
    • Turn 7: Condemn Blade or Soundless Blade
    • Turn 8: Rising Flame
    • Turn 9: Overpower
    • Turns 6 to 9 loop until Demi-Fafnir drops below 25% HP.
  • 25% HP to death:
    • Turn 1: Rising Flame
    • Turn 2: Condemn Blade, Soundless Blade, or Nihil Blade
    • Turn 3: Rising Flame
    • Turn 4: Overpower
    • Turn 5: Rising Flame
    • Turn 6: Condemn Blade, Soundless Blade, or Nihil Blade
    • Turns 3 to 6 loop until Demi-Fafnir dies.

All that remains of one who failed to become a Fafnir. There remains no trace of humanity...

[NO IMAGE]
Control Device
HP: 400, STR: 36, TEC: 35, VIT: 35, AGI: 28, LUC: 33
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

Demi-Fafnir is a complete and utter joke. He's weaker than Scylla, for crying out loud, with a whopping 8 less STR and 3 less TEC. The only stat he has an advantage in is VIT, which he has 1 more than Scylla. Woo. None of his skills deal significant amounts of damage, and their low base chances combined with our current LUC totals means him disabling anyone is really unlikely. There's a reason he's so weak, and that's tied entirely to Story mode--but I'll let Dr. Fetus show that off when he gets to it.

I will take advantage of the fact that I have so little to say about Demi-Fafnir himself that I will mention his origins. Internally, Demi-Fafnir is referred to as "fire emperor" by his AI script. Not to spoil much, but there are two DLC bosses both named Frost King and Thunder Queen (both of their internal AI scripts call them pretty much the same). See the pattern yet? If you don't, what I'm implying is that Demi-Fafnir is just the Fire Emperor design being reused for a hastily-done Story mode plot point.

What's most interesting about these three is the fact that their AI scripts are all prefixed with "scr_n"--the prefix used for Ginnungagap bosses (DLC bosses use "scr_dl"). What this probably means is that instead of Basilisk, Arachne, and Demi-Fafnir, the Ginnungagap bosses were originally all themed after the elements, both Fire/Ice/Volt and physical (Demi-Fafnir does a lot of Cut and Fire damage, the Frost King does a lot of Bash and Ice damage, and the Thunder Queen does a lot of Stab and Volt damage). Why this idea was scrapped before the game was finished is up to your interpretation. I will say, though, that Fafnir fighting a set of bosses themed after the elements to gain new powers makes a lot more sense, given that his entire thing is dealing lots of elemental damage.

Apparently Ursa didn't think this boss was as big a joke as he should be.

Demi-Fafnir's completely immune to arm binds, so I'll have Freyja focus on his 75% leg bind resistance instead.

You can probably guess that Asriel will spend the entire fight spamming Horse Slash and setting up Upper Stance when necessary.

I contemplated having Ursa set up Protection Vow, but I decided against it since that was being too cautious for a boss as easy as this.

Maybe I should get Realga a Song Mastery Grimoire or something, since she casts this thing basically every fight she's in.

Demi-Fafnir may have 25% resistance to head binds, but Sophie has a whopping 29 LUC advantage on him, and Creeping Curse is already bonkers on its own.

This thing's like a gigantic Byeah. On fire.
That's...one way of looking at it.

I'd normally type "drat" here, but not for this.

Owwwww...
Metal and fire... I can't say that sounds tasty...
It's worse than bad, it's actually painful. Ow ow ow...

Ha ha, welp.

I use Chase Heal so much that I should maybe consider leveling it up some more.

Switching to leg binds now.

Okay, that's slightly unlucky.

...Rrr?

Even that might be too much for this thing.

Like I said, Demi-Fafnir deals absolutely pathetic damage.

Asriel's consistently lopping off around 5% of this thing's HP every turn.

Hands up if you didn't see that coming.

If you raised your hand, you might want to re-evaluate how big a 29 LUC advantage is in EO2U.

Two binds is the best I'm going to get against Demi-Fafnir. Time to show off level 20 Ecstasy, even though the conditions aren't as nice as I'd like.

At this point I remembered Asriel's Force Boost exists and decided to turn it on.

I should mention that it's about this point in the game where Immovable becomes a lot less useful. Ronin skills still cost a lot of TP relative to their TP pool, yeah, but now it's manageable instead of being a fairly big problem.

There's an argument to be made for just reclassing (a mechanic I'll discuss soon enough) a Ronin into another physical damage class, since Immovable, at this point, turns into one of the worst Force Boosts due to the fact that it provides no damage bonus.

I could've had Sophie try to blind Demi-Fafnir, but instead I just opted to guarantee an extra turn of both binds sticking.

How do you even make a giant robot that's on fire suffer that much?
It's... It's just natural...

That's loving 25% of Demi-Fafnir's HP gone in one hit. If I could bind his arms, Freyja would lop off half of the thing's HP in one hit.

Fun fact: there's another message that preceeds the Black Mist message we've normally seen, but it lasts for all of two frames.

Ow ow, hot hot hot!
Rrer?

Ahaha, look at how little damage Ursa takes from this.

Asriel only used one turn of his Force Boost, but frankly this fight's so easy I'd rather just kill the Control Devices now.

Sophie's job is pretty much done, so I just have her fall back to trying to blind Demi-Fafnir.

That's enough of that.

50% of Demi-Fafnir's HP, just gone in two turns. I have not been exaggerating when I say Ecstasy is an incredibly broken skill.

What a paltry amount of--

Oof.
That's it? Just an "oof?"
Those "blades" feel like foam.

...Well, I guess the shoe of statistical improbabilities is on the other foot now, so to say. All those lucky ailment/bind inflictions had to come back to me eventually, I suppose.

One of the binds fell off, but consider that we're on turn 5, and we've dealt this much damage, when we have all of two damage dealers, one of whom is a Dark Hunter who can't get a 3-bind Ecstasy off, and the other is a Ronin with a skill build that's quickly becoming sub-par, and you can start to see that me talking about how weak Demi-Fafnir is anything but hyperbole.

gently caress it, why not?

Was that really necessary?
No, but do you see how badly hurt that thing is already? It looks like it's gonna topple over at any second.

If I'll be perfectly honest, it's not just Ecstasy that makes Freyja so busted, it's Trance. A 200% damage bonus against enemies you're already getting bonus damage against is just so ridiculously good. There's a reason that when people do reclass shenanigans with physical damage classes, they usually reclass into Dark Hunter.

You really think that's gonna do anything?

For crying out loud, Asriel's our most fragile party member, and he still takes a very manageable amount of damage from this thing.

Both the binds fell off, so while Cuffs has no chance of binding Demi-Fafnir's arms, it's still Freyja's best option for damage right now.

I almost feel bad.

This is just taunting Demi-Fafnir at this point.

I've run out of things to say by this point, honestly.

Except that this is just kicking Demi-Fafnir while he's down.

Uh, that thing looks like it's getting serious.

Never mind, I guess.

Rules of nature.

I'll restate that the reason Demi-Fafnir is so weak has to do with Story mode, but I'm clamming up on the matter from there.

...Yeah, "long and painful." Sure, let's go with that.

...Children of man... I am moved. It is enough to make me reconsider the true potential of humankind...
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice seems surprised at your victory.
Our progress in the Labyrinth wasn't enough?
SYSTEM: However, it is still not enough. An overwhelming power is sealed deep in this land. But I refuse to lead you to your deaths. You require more power yet... I bid you now return to your own world. There, challenge the Labyrinth you know well, and conquer its lofty heights!
Believe me, after all that secret area nonsense and this stupid ruin, I'm welcoming going back into the higher parts of that tree. Where's your treasure, anyway?
Once you have surpassed even the Ruler of the Heavens...only then shall I pass on my wishes to you. I await you here...
SYSTEM: The voice, heavy with newfound regard and expectation, fades away... There is still much you do not understand, but you have completed your investigation of the area you were assigned. The quest is now complete. Return to town, and report your success to the bar to complete the quest.

For the record, if we try to go through that door, this happens.

SYSTEM: Without any means of opening the door, all you can do for the time being is to go back the way you came.
Bah. Alright, let's just go tell Cass we're done, then.

Back to the normal soundtrack.

Oh, welcome back. Everythin' go okay?
For certain values of "okay."
We fought this weird robot thing and may have gotten involved with something really big.
...What? Weird enemies...and a strange voice? Well, the Palace probably wanted yeh to find out more about 'em. Personally speakin', though, it ain't my business! Haw haw haw! Here's yer reward, just as promised! See yeh next time!

Hee hee, hard to say no to more money!
Remember, you'll be paid when we finish our exploration. Not now.
Grrrr...

Freyja maxed out Phys ATK Up (with her Grimoires, it basically does nothing) and unlocked the really goddamn terrible Bait skills. Go look at Meet the Dark Hunter if you want to see how godawful these things are.

Salve not only heals for 155% healing power and costs 24 TP now, but also now has a 150% speed modifier instead of 125%.

And Sophie gets a value point in Corrupt Curse for enemies that require conditionals involving Curse. This is probably all she will ever put into it.

Flamberge (+104 ATK, normal attacks become Cut+Fire) is unlocked by selling 1 Undying Flame. It gets outclassed pretty quickly by swords you can easily make from the 4th Stratum. Oh well.

I will mention that I bought Realga a Luck Staff, because I value TP on her more than TEC or VIT due to how the healing formula works (your base stats obviously play a big part in it, but a Medic's innate TEC/VIT spread means they'll always heal for pretty much enough), and that +10 LUC bonus helps offset the fact that Medics have the lowest innate LUC out of any class, meaning they're much more susceptible to being hit with ailments and binds than anyone else. I'm sure it doesn't take a lot to deduce that our Medic is the worst person to get hit with a debilitating ailment or head bind.

Well, that was a pretty short update. Next time: we finally head back into Yggdrasil.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...I forgot the Demi-Fafnir had adds. The Control Devices are pretty tame helpers too, all things considered, but probably because of the Story Mode Reasons, yeah.

Honestly, the Frost King and Thunder Queen should've have a lot more story-related stuff to their DLC to go with the Demi-Fafnir, shed a bit of backstory to make up for not being Ginnungagap bosses. Probably would've been really easy, but... as-is, they just sort of exist.

• Locked thread