Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

I said come in! posted:

The Death Star is a space station. It can't be a moon because it's not orbiting anything. Is it a satellite or does it have to orbit something? Probably not cause we have satellites that don't orbit anything.

A satellite is anything that orbits a planet or moon. If the Death Star were to orbit a planet it would be considered a satellite, if it were to leave orbit it would cease being a satellite.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Since eveyone is talking about Death Stars, what would happen to Star Killer when it ran out of sun juice? Can you drive it to another sun to fuel up? Can you drive a planet? Is it just dead after they run out of sun juice after charging twice?

I'm thinking the First Order put some engines on that planet Geiersburg Fortress style in order to move it around. It would make sense because they aren't investing those kind of resources for a weapon that can only shoot twice, if they have the technology to build the thing in the first place they should have the technology to move it, and on some of the maps they released for Force Awakens they refer to a "Starkiller Base Origin Point" which implies that it has already been moved from somewhere.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
- Obi-Wan and Ben Kenobi are the same people.
- No, they are different people. Obi-Wan is called Obi-Wan and appears in the prequels, and Ben Kenobi is called Ben Kenobi and sppears in the original trilogy.
- Actually Ben Kenobi is just an alias worn by Obi-Wan.
- That doesn't make sense. They're called by different names, they're different people.
- They're both Jedi masters who hid themselves in the wilderness and teach someone to be a Jedi.
- No, Obi-Wan teaches Anakin and Ben Kenobi teaches Luke.
- Ben Kenobi reveals that he is Obi-Wan. He has the same knowledge and past as Obi-Wan.
- Obi-Wan is not an old man, and Ben Kenobi appears as an old man. They're clearly not the same.

e:

I said come in! posted:

This doesn't matter. You're bringing up completely pointless questions for no reason at all.

Please give examples of how TFA complicates or expands the story of Star Wars. That is to say, stuff that isn't recycled from earlier movies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The first Death Star was a super-weapon meant to be used for intimidation. Tarkin tells us it is meant to scare the systems into compliance.

The second Death Star was part of an elaborate trap for the rebel fleet.

Starkiller Base isn't used for either of those purposes. The First Order jumps directly to using it for outright exterminating the opposition. There is no talk of "demonstration" like Tarkin gave us at all, they just immediately blow up all the core systems of the New Republic with their first shot. This actually shows them to be very different from the Empire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- No, they are different people. Obi-Wan is called Obi-Wan and appears in the prequels, and Ben Kenobi is called Ben Kenobi and sppears in the original trilogy.
- That doesn't make sense. They're called by different names, they're different people.
- They're both Jedi masters who hid themselves in the wilderness and teach someone to be a Jedi.
- Ben Kenobi reveals that he is Obi-Wan. He has the same knowledge and past as Obi-Wan.
- Obi-Wan is not an old man, and Ben Kenobi appears as an old man. They're clearly not the same.

They are even played by different actors!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I'm not sure what point you're making other than that your parents chose to have you vaccinated as a child.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Don't worry guys, Obi-Wan will be getting his own old man movie with Ewan McGregor soon! Then we can finally settle who is the better old man jedi, Obi-Wan or Ben!! #teamobijuanwhoeverthefuckyouare

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's not a Death Star, it's Lazerest Moon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Please give examples of how TFA complicates or expands the story of Star Wars. That is to say, stuff that isn't recycled from earlier movies.

I already did. Read the thread. It just happens to be stuff you don't want. Your own personal criteria is not relevant.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Since eveyone is talking about Death Stars, what would happen to Star Killer when it ran out of sun juice? Can you drive it to another sun to fuel up? Can you drive a planet? Is it just dead after they run out of sun juice after charging twice?

Both it and the Death Star have hyperdrives, though neither are seen in use on screen. They jump to new locations and park them in orbit. The Death Star around Yavin and Starkiller around that other sun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The question is though is there a "Death Star" in TFA?

No there is a birthed star.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Technically Starkiller is the best Death Star since it actually brings death to a star. None of the others managed to do that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So wait, does Rogue One and the other spinoffs happen at the same time as the main trilogy? I get that they probably won't intersect but what timelines are we looking at?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vegetable posted:

So wait, does Rogue One and the other spinoffs happen at the same time as the main trilogy? I get that they probably won't intersect but what timelines are we looking at?

Rogue One is just before A New Hope.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Serf posted:

Technically Starkiller is the best Death Star since it actually brings death to a star. None of the others managed to do that.

None of the other did actually try tho!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Serf posted:

Well that settles that, no further discussion needed ever.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

None of the other did actually try tho!

Lazy, directionless Death Stars. Did Lucas predict millenials thirty years in advance?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Rogue One is just before A New Hope.
Okay. Maybe that's what's fueling rumors about Ors being the mother of Rey.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I already did.

Characters escaping a dead end situation to join a cause and community doesn't complicate or expand the story of Star Wars, especially when it's not even the main story. This doesn't make it bad, but it's been done before.

The OT was about a conflict between military powers, the PT was about a society falling apart due to a manufactured conflict, so what will be the ST about? Granted, it only features one movie so far, but by all indications it's just a simpler version of the OT.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BigglesSWE posted:

Holy poo poo, is this Biggs? That could be the best thing that ever bested.

I don't think so. I'm going to guess the Rogue One leads will be Poe Dameron's parents.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

It was an imperial-style super weapon with similarities to the Death Stars. But it was explicitly, textually, not a Death Star.

Well if we are getting technical it was the only super weapon to use a star to cause death.

edit: pretty much beaten

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Serf posted:

Lazy, directionless Death Stars. Did Lucas predict millenials thirty years in advance?
The Star Wars were used to turns us into millenials that could then easily be destroyed...

It was all a part of Lucas' plan from the beginning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the core of "death" "stars" we're technically stars as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

McDowell posted:

I don't think so. I'm going to guess the Rogue One leads will be Poe Dameron's parents.

I'm fine with that.

Just real watched the opening to ANH. "Rebel ships striking from a secret base..." I guess there will be some sort of airborne invasion of some kind. Would explain some of the concept art I've seen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

McDowell posted:

They already have a comic book about their adventures with the OT cast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think the core of "death" "stars" we're technically stars as well.

The reactor core of Death Star II doesn't resemble any kind of star I've ever seen on my television.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best Star Wars movie is Redline.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best Star Wars movie is Redline Red Tails.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best Star Wars movie is 400 Blows.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McDowell posted:

I hope that all subsequent films exist to exhaustively document the parentage of every single TFA character.

Unkar Plut's mother was Jessica Plutt, wife of Unkar Plut Sr.

The guy that Ben got mad at because he said 'girl'? His dad is Bob. Bob... Kenobi?!

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Someone earlier in the thread was saying they're cautious about liking the soundtrack to a Star Wars movie that isn't by John Williams... I gotta say, the music in this trailer was fantastic. One thing to remember is that John Williams is really a lot more than just a movie soundtrack guy. He is one of the pre-eminent composers of the 20th century (and this one, thus far), and he has a supreme talent for creating lasting themes in his works. The great operas and sonatas that people still attend today are no longer performed by the creator of the work (who in most cases is long dead), but we can still enjoy the great performances and timeless themes. I think using Williams' best beats is going to elevate the soundtrack rather than make it some kind of rehash.

Also, consider something like SWTOR which has a fantastic orchestral soundtrack that isn't made by Williams but still fits extremely well (regardless of how you might feel about SWTOR itself).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I hope that all subsequent films exist to exhaustively document the parentage of every single TFA character.

The guy that Ben got mad at because he said 'girl'? His dad is Bob. Bob... Kenobi?!

It's why the EU was knocked down a peg. So the REAL origin stories of every character could be explored on the big screen!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Poe Dameron's parents are already known, one was a commando on Endor, one was an Awing pilot in the space battle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So Mads Mikkelsen is in this, I wonder he'll have an actual role or if it will be like how there was hype for Brienne of Tarth being in Ep VII.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
please use a real image hosting service

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

I liked the way the new emperor dissolved the senate by literally dissolving it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I enjoy it when you realpost.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

berserker posted:

Someone earlier in the thread was saying they're cautious about liking the soundtrack to a Star Wars movie that isn't by John Williams... I gotta say, the music in this trailer was fantastic. One thing to remember is that John Williams is really a lot more than just a movie soundtrack guy. He is one of the pre-eminent composers of the 20th century (and this one, thus far), and he has a supreme talent for creating lasting themes in his works. The great operas and sonatas that people still attend today are no longer performed by the creator of the work (who in most cases is long dead), but we can still enjoy the great performances and timeless themes. I think using Williams' best beats is going to elevate the soundtrack rather than make it some kind of rehash.

God I hope Disney and Co just have him working his aging rear end off orchestrating Ep 8 and 9 before he dies. :ohdear:

I don't want to have to watch either of them without soundtracks composed by John Williams or worse, some hack trying to sound like John Williams.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

This is so true, and so important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I felt like Williams kind of phoned in in on Episode VII.

I mean it wouldn't be Star Wars without his score, but it's all just riffing on the existing leitmotifs at this point, none of the new material was that interesting. Rey's Theme or whatever isn't exactly a future classic.

• Locked thread