Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
~cyclists~ like that guy are why people assume the worst about anyone on a bike.

A vehicle only capable of 15 mph does not belong on a 35+ road. Limping a car to a shop or safe place to tow it is an exception, but doing it on purpose just to piss people off is not.

The lack of safe bike paths is a genuine issue that needs to be addressed but that is not a valid excuse to turd up a major roadway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That kind of makes it hard to go on any bike ride ever.

Seriously, boo loving hoo if you have to slow down slightly for a short period of time. What is it about being behind the wheel that brings out the inpatient, selfish rear end in a top hat in everyone?

Oh, and today, I rode my bike on roads with no shoulder and speed limits up to 55mph in a fairly big group. There was even a trail for part of it that we did not ride on. Somehow no one was really inconvenienced.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 7, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

~cyclists~ like that guy are why people assume the worst about anyone on a bike.

A vehicle only capable of 15 mph does not belong on a 35+ road. Limping a car to a shop or safe place to tow it is an exception, but doing it on purpose just to piss people off is not.

The lack of safe bike paths is a genuine issue that needs to be addressed but that is not a valid excuse to turd up a major roadway.

So car and motorcyclists hobbists get to take over a road to the point that it is unusable for transportation (seriously the snake is a loving mess in the summer) but one bike slows people down for 2 minutes and they're assholes?
Last time I went to the snake, for my last weekend in socal, I didn't get to go because some idiot in a car ran into a motorcycle and closed the road.
A few weeks earlier, another nearby road was closed due to a fatal where a car club member drove off the road. Closing it for the day. That road even had houses (unlike the snake) so those people couldn't get home.
The malibu canyon residents aren't complaining about the cyclists, they're complaining about the drivers and motorcyclists who think these roads are race tracks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just watch the rest of that guy's videos to see the real problems with that and other malibu roads. it's not bicycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFUI1tyC8k

I'll admit to having driven fast on those roads and others in the LA area numerous times. But not really ever on a weekend during the day. We used to go up thurs nights after the car meet, so like midnight or later. No bikes, minimal traffic, really the only people we were a hazard to was ourselves.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9l5G0hR9zQ

What a moron.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Write-off or repairable?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh that poo poo's gone.

Can't quite tell what happened beyond bad driving.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Write-off or repairable?

Well they're speaking English, not Russian, so that's probably a writeoff.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Don't worry someone will buy the salvage and ship it overseas.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I hate when loving ambulances cut me off.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/...acebook_WJZ-TV_|_CBS_Baltimore

CBSlocal posted posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say an ambulance transporting a child was stopped after being swarmed by a group of ATV drivers and motorcycle riders in Washington.

The District’s Department of Health sent out an alert Monday after the report of the attack on the ambulance on March 23, warning ambulance drivers to be aware of their surroundings.

Police say the group blocked the ambulance, forcing it to stop even though it tried using its lights and sirens to get by. No one was injured and the patient wasn’t affected.

The crew says one of the drivers opened the ambulance door and accused the ambulance driver of cutting the group off.

Police say the group didn’t disperse until officers arrived.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Scum who gently caress with emergency services just make me so loving angry.

Their sole purpose is to help people, goddamn it. What's wrong with you!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
loving cagers, including the patient.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The joke's on them, in mad max scenarios it's always the guys on two wheels that eat poo poo first.

So when global warming destroys our planet they're gonna be the first to die.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Murphys Law posted:

I hate when loving ambulances cut me off.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/...acebook_WJZ-TV_|_CBS_Baltimore

I was imagining this was rural Oregon, but then I saw it was B-more's urban ATV crew reppin :slick:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I was imagining this was rural Oregon, but then I saw it was B-more's urban ATV crew reppin :slick:

Stay classy Baltimore. :toot:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How long do you all wait behind someone at a green before honking? I actually had the presence of mind to count and I think about it at 3 seconds, and honk at 5. Time really does slow down at stop lights.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

You heard it here first folks, the space between the two yellow lines is a lane.

Bike lane. :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

um excuse me posted:

How long do you all wait behind someone at a green before honking? I actually had the presence of mind to count and I think about it at 3 seconds, and honk at 5. Time really does slow down at stop lights.

Sounds about right unless I see them staring down at their lap/radio/phone/taco platter. If I do, it's approx. 0 seconds.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Uthor posted:

Sounds about right unless I see them staring down at their lap/radio/phone/taco platter. If I do, it's approx. 0 seconds.

Same. Oddly, it seems like if I'm behind someone not going at green, it's always the car behind me (3rd car in line) that honks first but the 1st car always thinks it's me. Then I think about adding my honk, but usually don't. I just think, I'm glad he honked so I didn't have to. Thanks impatient fellow motorist for pulling the trigger I could not.:shobon:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
But the guy/gal in front probably thinks it was you. I get looked at in the rear view every time.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I do it pretty quickly, but I also try to do it as a friendly "beep beep" rather than "HOOOOOOOOOOONK GO rear end in a top hat". At least I hope it's interpreted that way.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
People get SO MAD when you honk at them, I've been flipped off more then once by someone for honking at them sitting at a green light.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LloydDobler posted:

I do it pretty quickly, but I also try to do it as a friendly "beep beep" rather than "HOOOOOOOOOOONK GO rear end in a top hat". At least I hope it's interpreted that way.

what if you have a stupid little sounding horn

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a stupid cheery sounding horn and no one takes it seriously at all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

I have a stupid cheery sounding horn and no one takes it seriously at all.

I wanted to do one of those crazy aftermarket ones but then i am rarely impatient enough to hit my fruity little horn anyways. :smith:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I had hella supertones (the german made ones even) on my old car, wired with a relay. They were LOUD. One time on the freeway a van started to change lanes into me, I hit them, he freaked out and over reacted and ended up in the next lane over.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Some lady in Minneapolis just got shot 4 times the other day for honking at someone. Let me see if I can find the story.

E: found it http://www.startribune.com/female-driver-shot-four-times-after-vehicle-cuts-her-off/374799211/

Still very recent. I hope those fuckers are found.

So be careful out there honking at people, goons.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 7, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Some lady in Minneapolis just got shot 4 times the other day for honking at someone. Let me see if I can find the story.

north minneapolis?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SneakyFrog posted:

north minneapolis?

Hennepin ave, so no.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That one thing I really like about my car. The horn's not ridiculously loud but it sounds meatier than most car horns. It's firmly midrange with a bit of bass and it sounds like it means business.

It's no Mercedes 600 horn though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNlAbUeTuk

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 7, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

SneakyFrog posted:

north minneapolis?

No, right by the walker art center. There's construction going on there and its a lovely drive at the best of times to try to get on I-94.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

it depends how long the light cycle is and how many minutes of my life the pigheaded dumbshit in front of me will waste by being retarded with their phone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That one thing I really like about my car. The horn's not ridiculously loud but it sounds meatier than most car horns. It's firmly midrange with a bit of bass and it sounds like it means business.

It's no Mercedes 600 horn though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNlAbUeTuk

I always assumed that they'd overdubbed that with the horn from the QE2 - I never thought it might be real.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My VW horn is really drat loud, at least when compared to the anemic horn on my old Corolla. If I honk at all people assume I am super pissed and tend to get ragey. What I sometimes do is just flash my brights instead as a "hey idiot, pay attention' gesture. It doesn't work quite as well but I get brake checked less often.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What cars need is broadcast emoji. Instead of using a horn you press a smiley to indicate your mood and it pops up on a screen on the dash of everyone around you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just keep a load of those emoji cushions in the car and throw them at people.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InitialDave posted:

Just keep a load of those emoji cushions in the car and throw them at people.

Etch emojis into a Louisville Slugger and beat stupid people with it

spog
Aug 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

What cars need is broadcast emoji. Instead of using a horn you press a smiley to indicate your mood and it pops up on a screen on the dash of everyone around you.

Pretty sure there is a Japanese concept car that displays a colour, depending on your mood - i.e. if you are happy, the front of the car is green. If you are mad, red.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder posted:

There's one idiot in a white Tesla Model S with whom we do not share the road any more, mostly because he drove onto the tram tracks around the corner from where I live :golf:

This is where he ended up:

And I think this is how he got there:

I just saw that the city has put up a little warning:

A bit of googling revealed that that wasn't the first time this sort of thing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

SneakyFrog posted:

what if you have a stupid little sounding horn

Cheap and easy solution to this is to get a GM 4 note horn setup from an early 90's Roadmaster or early 80's Cadiilacs in a junkyard. Those fuckers are LOUD. You need to make sure you get all 4 horns out of the car, but it's totally worth it.