Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

So I remembered what that SovCit billboard had on the way home and lmao

http://legalnamefraud.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyct80HALzc

:wtc:

I think I just dived head first into a heap of :2bong: epistemology.

e: 1929 - The General election returns a hung parliament, with the Liberals holding the balance of power. The Conservatives concede power rather than risk courting Liberals for a fragile majority.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An article about CEO pay rates written by a man called Marx, you say?

I'm surprised the co-op CEO gets paid that much but he's a good egg for cutting his pay.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's a horrible idea and I support it completely.

This is some nightmare fuel poo poo.

thespaceinvader posted:

Ahhhhahahahahhaa what the poo poo this is stupider than asking the NHS to take loans to pay wages then fining them for not paying them back. And that was p. loving stupid.

How the gently caress is fining someone 50 quid WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ANY loving MONEY ever going to work?!

The amount isn't important as long as it is more than they can afford, the idea is to get rid of them, like the london council that made soup kitchens illegal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I worked in animal welfare research for a while and my understanding is that in the UK livestock welfare conditions are largely set by purchasers (i.e., Tesco, Sainsbury's and friends) rather than legislation. Hence you have a bunch of theoretically voluntary standards, such as Red Tractor and Freedom Foods, but if you don't adhere to them then good luck selling your produce. This is in one sense actually an example of the market self regulating fairly well, and farmers I met were generally extremely keen to keep to standards and take advice on improving welfare because their bottom line was at stake. On the other hand, it also allows the supermarkets to dictate more or less whatever conditions they like to producers, and means that if producers meet those "voluntary" standards (which could arguably stand to be more stringent in some cases) then there's no incentive to go further. Clearly it doesn't mean we should be relaxing existing legislation.

I was talking to my former boss yesterday and he was telling me about an upcoming trip he's making to fish farmers in SE Asia where he's acting as a consultant to improve their current slaughter methods, which are fairly horrendous by the sound of it. The reason they want to go to more humane methods is so that they can sell to UK supermarkets.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

serious gaylord posted:

So the Prime Minister and Chancellor both took part in tax avoidance.

Does becoming Chancellor of the Exchequer and cutting tax for yourself counts as tax avoidance or evasion?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

serious gaylord posted:

So the Prime Minister and Chancellor both took part in tax avoidance.

But nothing illegal occurred and they won't be doing it in the future so it's fine.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well I paid the mortgage on it for 7 years while my parents owned it because they were having financial problems, I've lived in it for over 20 years in total, and my family have lived here for coming on for 40 years. Inheritance tax doesn't pass the house back to the state for being recycled into council housing - I wouldn't mind that so much but if we're talking utopianism lets go back to the terms my parents lived under, where you could be a council tenant but sitll know you had the same assurance as a leaseholder, and I'd be happily living in a council flat somewhere else in Tower Hamlets rather than in pretty much the only house inside zone 2 I can afford on my wages.

Note that saying "Well why should you get to keep living there now that the area has gentrified?" or variations thereof will put you on the same side of the the argument as tentish klown, if that hateful little poo poo still posts here.

Technically you paid rent to your parents and they paid the mortgage, so someone living in a council house could make the same claims as you and yet would get thrown out.

The reason I would be reluctant to throw you out and take your inheritance for the state is essentially the same reason I wouldn't want to throw out a council tenant: because it sucks when you are forced to move from an area where you have lived all your life. Maybe the state could simply take ownership of your house and charge you a social housing level rent to carry on living there?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jabby posted:

Technically you paid rent to your parents and they paid the mortgage, so someone living in a council house could make the same claims as you and yet would get thrown out.

The reason I would be reluctant to throw you out and take your inheritance for the state is essentially the same reason I wouldn't want to throw out a council tenant: because it sucks when you are forced to move from an area where you have lived all your life. Maybe the state could simply take ownership of your house and charge you a social housing level rent to carry on living there?

this argument just leads to full state ownership of property, historical residence being a preference in placement

which is good, because that is a good system

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tom Watson goes on the attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35990100

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Remember when Jimmy Carr got caught out for tax avoidance and Cameron felt it would be appropriate for him to comment on it? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-18521468

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halman posted:

Remember when Jimmy Carr got caught out for tax avoidance and Cameron felt it would be appropriate for him to comment on it? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-18521468

I really hope to see Jimmy's comments on Cameron sometime soon.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Halman posted:

Look at the pathetic response Miliband gave at the time:

Ed Miliband posted:

I'm not in favour of tax avoidance obviously, but I don't think it is for politicians to lecture people about morality. I think what the politicians need to do is - if the wrong thing is happening - change the law to prevent that tax avoidance happening.

And people think Corbyn doesn't challenge the government enough.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im not sure i have anything inherently against selling council houses, just the specific implementation of it as a way to reduce state owned housing stock

if new council housing was built at/above replacement rate and the state got some sort of first refusal on resale or covenant against selling to someone trying to get a rental mortgage im not sure i see the problem

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone in this thread think that David Cameron will still be Prime Minister by the end of the year?

I don't.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I remember Cameron (DCFADP) going after Carr at one PMQ's, and at the next one saying it was all legal and fine, after it came out Gary Barlow (who happened to give £250k to the tory party) was in the same plan.

^^Yes, I do - this lot are completly shameless and will hang onto power as long as possible

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pistol_Pete posted:

Does anyone in this thread think that David Cameron will still be Prime Minister by the end of the year?

I don't.

Pissflaps does.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cameron is front page news in pretty much every paper. He's a dead man walking.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I really hope to see Jimmy's comments on Cameron sometime soon.
I hope we can hear his comments over the sound of the knives getting sharpened.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Cameron is front page news in pretty much every paper. He's a dead man walking.

there are no consequences to him staying on, no Tory aside from Boris could ever win a GE, and it is not possible to force a GE just because the government are despised and clearly nowhere near competent.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Note that saying "Well why should you get to keep living there now that the area has gentrified?" or variations thereof will put you on the same side of the the argument as tentish klown, if that hateful little poo poo still posts here.
hi

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spangly A posted:

there are no consequences to him staying on, no Tory aside from Boris could ever win a GE, and it is not possible to force a GE just because the government are despised and clearly nowhere near competent.

Camerons anointed successor Gideon is poison, the Tories wont care about winning an election when one of them could be PM now, especially when a Cameron resignation would be a huge scalp for the Brexit lot.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

For once I agree with Gideon.

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/527496449421238272

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I don't see how Corbyn can survive this Panama scandal.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
He'll still be in power. There's only one person who's 'Prime Ministerial' as replacements go and that's Theresa May. Osborne is too damaged, and at the end of the day, he has a bum nose. The public won't go for it. Johnson is a lightweight. May has gravitas, and a bit of glamour.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Camerons anointed successor Gideon is poison, the Tories wont care about winning an election when one of them could be PM now, especially when a Cameron resignation would be a huge scalp for the Brexit lot.

who steps up? Gideon's getting shanked as a side order to the Panama issue, Gove has the bar not taking cases, Hunt stepping up would send the NHS over the edge into full on strikes, May reeks of incompetence and has no real public image, Goldsmith is busy sabotaging his career in London, IDS just resigned

oh god

no

Milotic posted:

He'll still be in power. There's only one person who's 'Prime Ministerial' as replacements go and that's Theresa May. Osborne is too damaged, and at the end of the day, he has a bum nose. The public won't go for it. Johnson is a lightweight. May has gravitas, and a bit of glamour.

do we live in the same country? I honestly reckon half the public couldn't identify May out of a lineup.

Also she's as evil Thatcher with none of the groundswell support.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He did well, typing all that with his fingers crossed.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Spangly A posted:

who steps up? Gideon's getting shanked as a side order to the Panama issue, Gove has the bar not taking cases, Hunt stepping up would send the NHS over the edge into full on strikes, May reeks of incompetence and has no real public image, Goldsmith is busy sabotaging his career in London, IDS just resigned

oh god

no

do we live in the same country? I honestly reckon half the public couldn't identify May out of a lineup.

The Tories have achieved the complete breakdown of the British state. Mission accomplished??

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spangly A posted:

oh god

no

I see you realised it too. Its all set up for Prime Minister Duncan-Smith.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Cameron's staying on until after the EU vote no matter what. Which is good because that's more opportunity for him to make his party look like the bag of oily faced snakeoil salesmen it is.

quote:

oh god

no

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fans posted:

Cameron's staying on until after the EU vote no matter what. Which is good because that's more opportunity for him to make his party look like the bag of oily faced snakeoil salesmen it is.

Boris will never, ever lead a political party that he does not himself create.

serious gaylord posted:

he's got the least heat on him now, I'm not sure if anyone's falling for One Nation again though

Megaspel posted:

I didn't think voters would be stupid enough to vote for the Tory party again but here we are.

being fair to the stain on the human race that is the UK, less than 25% of eligible voters voted tory. Blame the Westminster system. And the Lib Dems.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 7, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't.

I didn't think voters would be stupid enough to vote for the Tory party again but here we are.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

The quiet man wins at last.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Milotic posted:

May has gravitas, and a bit of glamour.
I think that's the other May.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Megaspel posted:

they'll get in once a generation as voters get tired of the ruling party of there is an economic collapse

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megaspel posted:

Well, less than a third of the electorate did, sooo... :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I predict the Pirate Party storming to power like in Iceland. They may have only received 1130 votes in the GE but with FPTP I don't see why that should prevent them forming a government, you only need 326 people for a majority in Parliament after all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

they'll get in once a generation as voters get tired of the ruling party of there is an economic collapse

the wonderful thing about being conservative is you can take advantage of any disaster, because by definition you've got to be an evil lying shitbag anyway

e;

serious gaylord posted:

I think James May would win an election if he stood as an independent.

James May seems like a kipper, aside from saying sensible things

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 7, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

I think that's the other May.

I think James May would win an election if he stood as an independent.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've got just the thing for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fans posted:

To be fair, it's not like we didn't already know that he's heavily invested in pork bellies.

:haw:

• Locked thread