Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't know how many people have been killed by forklifts at Menards, but it has to be greater than zero. Home Depot will shut down aisles and have flaggers guiding forklifts around on the floor. Menards just lets 18 year olds fly around inside and out at top speed.

They also don't follow the best safety practices for themselves:

Winds were blowing at 30 MPH with 50 MPH gusts while he was up there on that bundle of 2x4's. Witnessed another forklift operator about 20 minutes later riding around on a raised platform. He was wearing his fall protection harness, but it wasn't clipped to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

brugroffil posted:

I don't know how many people have been killed by forklifts at Menards, but it has to be greater than zero. Home Depot will shut down aisles and have flaggers guiding forklifts around on the floor. Menards just lets 18 year olds fly around inside and out at top speed.

One of the best/worst parts about shopping at WinCo at 6AM is dodging forklifts driven by sleep deprived cashiers who have been pressed into restocking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reminds me, a while ago the discussion involved forklifts and how far the forks should be raised while driving. I said I was going to pull out my training institute's publication on forklifts, but I forgot. I'll grab a copy right now while I'm still at work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

That reminds me, a while ago the discussion involved forklifts and how far the forks should be raised while driving. I said I was going to pull out my training institute's publication on forklifts, but I forgot. I'll grab a copy right now while I'm still at work.

Please read the manual in one hand while posting a transcript in the other to this thread and driving with your knee. tia

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

brugroffil posted:

They also don't follow the best safety practices for themselves:

Winds were blowing at 30 MPH with 50 MPH gusts while he was up there on that bundle of 2x4's. Witnessed another forklift operator about 20 minutes later riding around on a raised platform. He was wearing his fall protection harness, but it wasn't clipped to anything.

It's a forklift slaughter of savings at Menards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDLBCdcqEA

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

chitoryu12 posted:

I was taught keep them low as possible and angled up like ~15° but this is a big diesel fucker that's really hard to miss, not one of those toyotas zipping around a plant

Edit: one of these guys, not sure of the series, but it's the exact same profile it looks like

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 5, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The book advises to keep the forks as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low (avoiding tipping), but to check the driving area for hazards and uneven ground before driving as well as driving in reverse whenever the load is blocking your view.

Some fun statistics!

Non-operator deaths by forklift
* Struck by load: 37%
* Struck by truck: 31%
* Caught in between: 18%
* Fall from forks: 10%
* Overturn: 4%

Operator deaths by forklift
* Overturn: 49%
* Fall: 15%
* Caught in between: 15%
* Struck by load: 11%
* Electrocution, fires, explosions, collisions: 8%
* Struck by truck: 2%

I think "struck by load" is exclusively or almost exclusively unsecured loads falling off the forks. I'm wondering why "struck by truck" and "collision" are separate for operators, though. Maybe the former are impaled by the forks of an incoming vehicle?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm wondering why "struck by truck" and "collision" are separate for operators, though. Maybe the former are impaled by the forks of an incoming vehicle?

I'd wager collision is "I crashed the forklift and died" where struck by truck is "I somehow managed to hit myself with my own forklift"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Klaus did it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KoRMaK posted:

Welp, guess its time to start taking that cholesterol medicine now that I'm 30.

For serious get some Omega 3 capsules. It has for real non-woo health benefits, and the most common side-effect is fish burps. http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omega-3-fatty-acids-fact-sheet

Fish burps are pretty unpleasant tho.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Karma Monkey posted:

It's a forklift slaughter of savings at Menards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDLBCdcqEA

This is 100% awesome.
And about 90% harmless.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

chitoryu12 posted:

The book advises to keep the forks as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low (avoiding tipping), but to check the driving area for hazards and uneven ground before driving as well as driving in reverse whenever the load is blocking your view.

Some fun statistics!

Non-operator deaths by forklift
* Struck by load: 37%
* Struck by truck: 31%
* Caught in between: 18%
* Fall from forks: 10%
* Overturn: 4%

Operator deaths by forklift
* Overturn: 49%
* Fall: 15%
* Caught in between: 15%
* Struck by load: 11%
* Electrocution, fires, explosions, collisions: 8%
* Struck by truck: 2%

I think "struck by load" is exclusively or almost exclusively unsecured loads falling off the forks. I'm wondering why "struck by truck" and "collision" are separate for operators, though. Maybe the former are impaled by the forks of an incoming vehicle?

I think "struck by load" can just mean that the operator drove into someone load-first and killed them. That and "struck by truck" are a result of operators speeding around without paying attention, especially around blind corners.

As for overturn being the leading cause of death for operators: This is why you have to wear your seat belt. It's not to protect you in a crash, it's to prevent you from jumping out when it tips over. The instinct is to jump in the direction the truck is falling, which means that it falls on you. When in fact the safest place to be when a forklift tips over (after "way the hell over there") is in the forklift..

Boat posted:

I'd wager collision is "I crashed the forklift and died" where struck by truck is "I somehow managed to hit myself with my own forklift"

This can happen when the operator doesn't set the park brake, then gets out and walks behind/in front of the truck. I had a coworker who would use a forklift occasionally and basically every time he would fail to set the park brake. Even when we got new forklifts that have a constant beeping any time you shut them off without engaging it, on several occasions I saw him spend 10-30 seconds trying to figure out why it was making noise. That is the type of person who gets run over by their own forklift.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know if the camera person is on the job, but I’m going to assume so because :gonk:

http://i.imgur.com/jsXbIjI.gifv

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know if the camera person is on the job, but I’m going to assume so because :gonk:

They fixed the Caminito del Rey in 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Yu-3N7UhY
Now with handrails and everything!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Angela Christine posted:

For serious get some Omega 3 capsules. It has for real non-woo health benefits, and the most common side-effect is fish burps. http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omega-3-fatty-acids-fact-sheet

Fish burps are pretty unpleasant tho.

Lift some weights too.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

This was the worst level in the original Half Life

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Gotta drill past 3 high pressure oil lines today for a Bell job. Pulling a 14" reamer and we needed esso (well imperial oil which esso owns I think) and another guy from a Canadian company (something about needing 2 groups for insurance or something).

We have the hole made and reamed but they are still required to stay for every time we pass them, kinda annoying cause I've been sitting in my truck for almost 2 hours waiting for these guys so we can finish today!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

"an old lada" is always, categorically the right tool for the job

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Just add some orange flags to the ends and it's good to go! Make sure you use your hazards

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/FlvpAI5.gifv

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Someone overlay this with Runnin' in the 90s.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

that's a loving sick drift

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conspire to violate federal mine safety standards resulting in the death of 29 people? Get a whole year in jail.

What a victory for safety.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Platystemon posted:

Ah, I remember that place from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw

Dude's loving nuts.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Conspire to violate federal mine safety standards resulting in the death of 29 people? Get a whole year in jail.

It's better than a fine at least, though he should be serving life imo

Also, if you're canadian, april 28th is National Day of Mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Top of a residential building in my town, what is going on here. I can't see if the dude is wearing any gear but this feels a bit off.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

chitoryu12 posted:

Testicle height... if i recall correctly.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

8 track betamax posted:

Testicle height... if i recall correctly.

Who's though, the drivers or the average of the people in the wearhouse

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

The Defense Attorney posted:

“The worst that can be said is that Mr. Blankenship knew about the violations and, in the government’s view, that he didn’t do enough to prevent them,” said Mr. Taylor, who had sought a sentence of a fine and probation. “The one thing you cannot conclude is that Don Blankenship was not interested in, and didn’t care about, the safety of his miners.”
No, dipshit, we can absolutely conclude that Don Blankenship was utterly cavalier about safety and placed profits above his employees lives. Because that's what happened, and that's what he was convicted of.

That 1-year sentence is lame. I don't normally have an opinion about criminal sentencing, but if he'd straight-up murdered those workers - like, just shot them - the prosecutor would have filed 29 separate charges of murder. Is there some reason the prosecutor in this case didn't file 29 separate charges?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

They fixed the Caminito del Rey in 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Yu-3N7UhY
Now with handrails and everything!

Is that just smoke and mirrors though, they originally could have put in a wooden platform instead of concrete?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leaves out the fun part where there's a woman's car parked on the side (all that mess on the road is from her car hitting that log) and the fact that when that truck comes around, she's right outside the driver's door of the parked truck. Thankfully, she managed to get away unscathed.

From the Dashcam thread in AI:

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Platystemon posted:

If he fell at least everyone would know what happened to him (if they find the body)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExecuDork posted:

That 1-year sentence is lame. I don't normally have an opinion about criminal sentencing, but if he'd straight-up murdered those workers - like, just shot them - the prosecutor would have filed 29 separate charges of murder. Is there some reason the prosecutor in this case didn't file 29 separate charges?

The judge gave him the maximum possible sentence for the crime he was actually convicted of. He was found innocent by a jury of the 3 more serious crimes he was charged with that could have seen him spending most or all of the rest of his life in prison.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

ExecuDork posted:

huh

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Compared to what 9/11 conspirator Mounir El Motassadeq got sentenced to in Germany, that's positively draconian.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It looks like there's enough space on either side, so this is a special kind of stupid.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

p7hk9 posted:

This was the worst level in the original Half Life

This actually looks like the Tomb Raider reboot

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Grey Fox posted:

It looks like there's enough space on either side, so this is a special kind of stupid.

That pallet is half-rotted, too. Good job, Klaus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I was taught keep them low as possible and angled up like ~15° but this is a big diesel fucker that's really hard to miss, not one of those toyotas zipping around a plant

Edit: one of these guys, not sure of the series, but it's the exact same profile it looks like

I saw one even bigger than that moving an electric motor that weighed around 30,000lbs (rotor and stator). Some of those are freaky-huge.

These riggers are amazing, you can make incredibly large, heavy objects (like motors, transformers, generators) and they are the people who can move them around, sometimes using fairly simply machines and equipment too. I'm sure if you looked at their DNA going far back enough they were the guys putting together the Pyramids and Stonehenge.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 8, 2016