Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Remember when the pigfucker thing started, and we were all super excited at the idea of Ashcroft's book tanking Cameron?

That was where hope died, for me. I assume he'll shrug this off.

30 is the atomic number for zinc. Isn't that special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The pigfucker thing was so outrageous no-one could seriously believe it while being too hot to print in the papers, which is why it slipped off the radar fairly quickly. This is tabloid fodder for ages. They'll dig through his speeches and quotes and trot out any lines where hes mentioned being tough on offshore investing to keep the pain going.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Milotic posted:

He'll still be in power. There's only one person who's 'Prime Ministerial' as replacements go and that's Theresa May. Osborne is too damaged, and at the end of the day, he has a bum nose. The public won't go for it. Johnson is a lightweight. May has gravitas, and a bit of glamour.

Hunt.

I hate to say it, but Hunt. Nothing really seems to be sticking to him despite him presiding over the single worst industrial dispute this millennium.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Majorian posted:

To be fair, it's not like we didn't already know that he's heavily invested in pork bellies.

:haw:

:golfclap:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thespaceinvader posted:

Hunt.

I hate to say it, but Hunt. Nothing really seems to be sticking to him despite him presiding over the single worst industrial dispute this millennium.

you can't run away from the press forever as leader of the party in power

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Hunt.

How will he be able to conduct international diplomacy while hiding behind a tree?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

The pigfucker thing was so outrageous no-one could seriously believe it while being too hot to print in the papers, which is why it slipped off the radar fairly quickly. This is tabloid fodder for ages. They'll dig through his speeches and quotes and trot out any lines where hes mentioned being tough on offshore investing to keep the pain going.

Sure, but pigfucking was just supposed to be the first of dozens of tales of crime and debauchery the book contained, and I'm still perplexed that it was shrugged off so quickly. I hope you're right about this but I'll be surprised if it does anything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jose posted:

Nope, but you can run away from the press forever until you are.

Guavanaut posted:

How will he be able to conduct international diplomacy while hiding behind a tree?

How does Cameron manage it whilst hiding in a glass house and throwing stones? Because the press are not interested in his downfall, particularly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, I'm happy to note that the Government have dropped the idea of testing 4 year olds on the basis that they're 4 years old.
This makes me happy, given that only last week we got reports of 6 year olds developing mental health needs as a result of formal assessment in school.

Also, Birmingham have said 'gently caress off' to forced academisation, so this is becoming a really lovely few weeks for Nicky Morgan.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Also someone alert me if/when he tries to use his dad's death as an emotional shield to deflect blame.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Weekly brain self-flagellation has resumed following its break, ironically for Easter! All goons come along to #ukgoons on synirc for Question Time.

quote:

David Dimbleby presents Question Time from Ilford. On the panel: Anna Soubry MP, Chris Bryant MP, UKIP's Douglas Carswell MP, economist Ruth Lea and novelist Irvine Welsh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Also someone alert me if/when he tries to use his dad's death as an emotional shield to deflect blame.

People are already saying 'don't bring family into it or we will too' as if there's some equivalence between Piers Corbyn being a bit of a tossbag, and Cambot being a giant loving hypocrite about tax avoidance, not to mention having (in his mind anyway) viciously attacked Milliband's dad during the last Parliament.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Can you dissolve a government because the prime minister keeps running away from everyone?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

crispix posted:

Weekly brain self-flagellation has resumed following its break, ironically for Easter! All goons come along to #ukgoons on synirc for Question Time.

Irvine Welsh knows his poo poo so this might be good and I'd watch it if I was at home.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Irvine Welsh knows his poo poo so this might be good and I'd watch it if I was at home.

He's coming over as an ignorant idealist, so no surprise you like him.

wtf happened to Carswell's lips... he's like a gaunt or something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Hunt.

Don't forget he managed to completely avoid any blame for the Sky/NI fiasco despite being balls-deep in the whole thing too. The man's got some skills but he's not popular in the party because he's seen as Cameron's man - if there were an orderly transition he'd maybe be in with a chance, but if Cameron is forced out and the party goes into full civil war he won't stand a chance.

It's notable how almost all of the names after Osborne mentioned as next leader are on the Leave side, particularly Johnson who has generally been considered as very pro-EU to this point. The referendum is going to be the single biggest factor in a Tory leadership election if it happens in the next two years and certainly a leave vote probably makes that certain, with the Leave names going right to the top of the list. Then we get to see a Gove vs. Jonson fight, which is going to be fantastic as a spectator sport in the fairly safe knowledge that they'll fight each other into a stalemate and leave someone else to nick in, so we don't even have to begin to consider the chance of either of them as PM.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Irvine Welsh is a grown man who still gets a kick out of jobbie jokes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Irvine Welsh is a grown man who still gets a kick out of jobbie jokes.

And you don't?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Irvine Welsh is a fantastic writer who's contributed some excellent narratives about working class life, drug addiction and jobby jokes to the literary canon, thank you all very much.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Not Operator posted:

Does this count (from Thursday)?

David Cameron posted:

I don't have anything to hide. I'm proud of my dad and what he did and the business he established... I can't bear to see his name being dragged through the mud.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Not Operator posted:

Anna Soubry just did it for Cameron on Question Time if that counts

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Irvine Welsh is a fantastic writer who's contributed some excellent narratives about working class life, drug addiction and jobby jokes to the literary canon, thank you all very much.

He's no James Kelman, and even less so an Alasdair Gray. But he can write though, when he can be bothered. A lot of his post Marabou Stork Nightmares stuff is just toss.

He also tends to be a little disingenuous about his background, but eh, that's not uncommon. Might even happen in the UKMT!

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Irvine Welsh has written some decent books and seems to genuinely care but as stated he's a massive idealist and doesn't ever seem willing to really put himself out there. The superior Question Time author guest is Will Self who regularly schools everybody when he is on.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

StoneOfShame posted:

Irvine Welsh has written some decent books and seems to genuinely care but as stated he's a massive idealist and doesn't ever seem willing to really put himself out there. The superior Question Time author guest is Will Self who regularly schools everybody when he is on.

Hmm. He always seems more interested in sounding clever than being clever. Not that I give a suit about Welsh, either. I more enjoy watching the crypto Tory self hating gay David Starkey foam at the mouth If anyone dares the ruling class are not right to trample us mud eaters.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Will Self is incredibly intelligent but completely fails to understand that not everyone can understand what he's saying, that or he doesn't care, his novels are the same, which is a shame because when they work they're some of the best examples of contemporary British fiction. Him talking about drugs and ISIS were both excellent examples, the drugs one has added Peter Hitchens insanity. David Starkey I amazing because he's completely insane and always hilarious, I suspect he thinks Britain would be better off under a full powered monarchy, particularly if we could find a good Tudor descendant.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Will Self has a pretty deep name

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

I suspect he thinks Britain would be better off under a full powered monarchy, particularly if we could find a good Tudor descendant.
Would Francis II do?

J_RBG posted:

Will Self has a pretty deep name
Pretty sure he took his name from throwing darts at a Schopenhauer essay. :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Would Francis II do?
Could never have a Catholic on the throne, don't be daft!

I read a Will Self book once, Great Apes. I just remember it being quite a straight forward read & rather funny. Certainly don't think the language used was as obtuse as Will Self uses in TV appearances & the like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I don't know if a dachshund can be said to be practicing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I read a Will Self book once, Great Apes. I just remember it being quite a straight forward read & rather funny. Certainly don't think the language used was as obtuse as Will Self uses in TV appearances & the like.

Great Apes is very good an towards the more accessible end not that I think any of his work is as difficult as say Pynchon. Umbrella and Shark are both fantastic though stream of consciousness novels which some people don't get on with and The Book of Dave is very good though his invented future English for some sections might cause some difficulty.

Yeah I think Starkey is more of a Tudor fan than a Stuart one, pity the Tudor line is dead.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Well, David Cameron came to the university today (yesterday, technically.) Good of him to wait until all the undergraduates had gone home for the holidays, and also fantastic that postgrads were given virtually no time at all to respond to the RSVP email sent out by the University. After we responded to it, virtually everyone was told there was no room anyway, making it rather pointless that we were asked in the first place. Staff had apparently been given priority access for tickets, making it majority non-student. As far as could be seen, the people who actually managed to see ol' Dave were staff, the various committees of student societies, a few token random students, and that's it. Almost no representation from either undergrad or postgrad students, only five questions were allowed to be asked, and Dave scuttled out of the room to go back into his Ministerial Jag. Complete waste of our time and something that totally demonstrates how Cameron is afraid of actual democratic engagement and even talking with the media. You can't have a bloody student event if the majority of the people at the event aren't students! Robert Peston was swearing like hell though at how crap Cameron was being, which made up for everything somewhat.

http://imgur.com/dCtM1zL Here's a pic of Piggy wandering back to his car after he's finished.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
That photo made me wonder what proportion of people he actually interacts with are wearing suits at the time. It must be pretty high. What a ghastly life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazy twat can't be arsed to walk to the car park?

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Here's a photo of the Remain Bus looking sorry for itself as well: http://imgur.com/1Xj1opH

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Clement posted:

Here's a photo of the Remain Bus looking sorry for itself as well: http://imgur.com/1Xj1opH

On the basis of this Remain will win with a small but definite majority.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^[e]: :lol: Amazing
---
In living Tory oval office News;

Hunt insists he will impose new contract on NHS doctors posted:

The matter is closed, health secretary says in defiant speech reported on second day of 48-hour strike by medics

Jeremy Hunt has inflamed the dispute with junior doctors by insisting “the matter is closed” and he will impose the new contract on them, despite unprecedented protests by medics.

The health secretary also insisted that history would judge him right to force new terms and conditions on England’s 45,000 junior doctors, despite the wave of concern across the NHS and medical profession that his move has triggered.

“The matter is closed. We have been trying to discuss this now for three years, and I think the wrong thing to do in the face of unreasonable behaviour is to say, ‘Well, in that case, we’re going to back down,’” the Health Service Journal (HSJ) reported him as saying.

His comments emerged as medics below the level of consultant took part in the second day of their fourth strike against the new contract, which is scheduled to come into force in August. Hospitals said that 42.5% of junior doctors had turned up for work on Thursday, a lower number than the 46% who did so on Tuesday.

Hunt said the planned new contract was “much safer” than the current one. He added that he was “more in tune with doctors” than the British Medical Association (BMA), their union, “because I really care about the things that doctors care about – the safety of patients”.

The health secretary was speaking at an event held last month and organised by the HSJ.

“It’s inevitable when you are painted as the evil bogeyman by the BMA, who are brilliantly clever at winding everyone up on social media, that you are not going to be Mr Popular,” he said. “But what history will judge in five or 10 years’ time is, did I and did this government make the long-term strategic calls necessary to help the NHS offer the highest possible quality of care for patients?”

There is growing frustration from patients about the cancellation of appointments and alarm about the threat of junior doctors withdrawing cover from all areas of care, including A&E, on 26 and 27 April.

The Department of Health said 5,156 procedures and operations had been postponed as a result of this week’s 48-hour strike, which is set to continue until 8am on Friday morning.

Junior doctors are providing emergency care only in the fourth stoppage in their long-running dispute with the government over a new contract. They plan to escalate the dispute on 26 April with another two-day strike, including a walkout from casualty units.

[...]
Source: Grauniad
It's clear he's hoping for public opinion to turn against the junior doctors - so he's just going to wait it out. I hope it blows up in his loving face.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 8, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hope something blows up in his loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hi GCHQ just to be clear I mean a massive cock

• Locked thread