Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

edit2: also, I am NOT suggesting you do this, but Dave says they're so well made that he regularly pressurizes them higher than they're rated for. In his book he has a chart with the pint and quart iSi whippers and says what pressure you can expect for how many chargers you put in, and under the column for putting two chargers on the pint model it says "N/A" and says not to do this because it's against iSi's safety warnings, but if you read the body text he talks about how he often puts two chargers on the pint model with no problems.

We used those types of whippers when I worked at Starbucks in grad school. When we got bored we'd double or triple charge the canisters and have whipped-cream duels on the sidewalk outside our store - best range I ever got was 25 feet. If the person working the drinks bar on the morning shift was a jerk, the night shift would double-charge some of the canisters randomly so that s/he would get a face full of coffee and milk when they tried to finish drinks at 0600.

A+++ would dick around with again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KitchenAid 6 Quart Pro Mixers on sale again today at Woot for $199. Refurbished but still a drat good deal, with a 6 month manufacturer warranty.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Looking for a decent non-stick sauté pan to cook curries, risotto and the like in. Every time I look on amazon, I find plenty of decent looking frying pans/skillets, but never anything with higher (deeper), straighter sides that would be better for cooking curries or something really saucy. Would need to work well on an induction hob, pretty much anything with a fully magnetic base with no gaps would work well if you're not sure.

Feel free to tell me I don't actually want a sauté pan, but it does seem to be what I'm looking for. Had a cheap one I got when I moved into this flat but now I have a bit more cash I'm looking to buy something that will last a bit longer. Hoping to spend about £30-40 ($40-55?) but will go higher if it's recommended.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 5, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
There's a huge problem with buying poo poo recommended in this thread, I keep Baader-Meinhof'ing it on cooking shows, I keep seeing the benriner mandoline on cooking shows, the latest is ep 2 of Cooked.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Only useful for Chicago/rockford/milwaukee area goons but cutlery and more has a warehouse sale coming up later this month. Expect a 1-2 hour wait to get in but once inside you will find premium kitchen equipment at crazy markdowns. Some is low quality junk and some is open box or returns but if you look carefully and can pick out better brand names or double check amazon for ratings the deals are amazing. I got several $100 kyocera knives for $10-$15 each. Etc...

I'm getting to where I have most anything I could need in my kitchen but I'm sure I'll find something I have to have.

Unrelated mandoline question: is there a trick to using a Bron crinkle cut blade? I picked up a used bron (can't remember model but its the $300msrp stainless one) at savers for $5 and it seem very difficult to use the krinkle blade. I think it might just be dull and need replacement as the flat blade was a bit tough to use until I sharpened it. Or is there a way to sharpen the wavy blade?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not that I know of.

The crinkle blade inherently requires a lot more force than the straight blade to cut with, though. It's possible that the blade is relatively new and you're just experiencing the normal resistance of the blade

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This looks kind of cool. No idea what I'd use it for, but I want one.

http://gizmodo.com/this-1-800-super-accurate-hot-plate-probably-makes-som-1769625846

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

My used vollrath has 10 degree increments and I've used it for sous vide successfully sooooo I have no idea why I'd want that thing that costs 10x as much. (Most of the time I use the temperature feature as a slow cooker replacement.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does your Vollrath only measure external temperature or does it use a probe?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Does your Vollrath only measure external temperature or does it use a probe?

Only external temp, it overshoots a lot at the beginning but then it stabilizes rather nicely.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Could I get a recommendation on a good box grater? My old one was cheap plastic surrounding the metal and eventually exploded on me.

e: I'm assuming oxo but just asking to make sure before I pull the trigger

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Cuisipro

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the Oxo, it works really well, but lately I find myself reaching for my various Microplane handled graters instead

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I just got a Zojirushi rice cooker, and I'm somewhat confused by it's liquid measurements. For regular white rice you use the extremely-japanese measurement cup and the measuring lines inside the cooker, but for other rice types it specifies amounts of water per measuring cup.

http://www.zojirushi.com/grains/nszcc18.html

For the Jasmine rice (for instance), is it saying I should use 1 1/4 cups liquid per 1 measuring cup of rice. The point of confusion is that their measuring cup is not a US cup (~240ml) but a japanese gō (180ml). In their chart, they differentiate dry rice and liquid units by using fractions for liquid volume (and explicitly saying cups) but decimal for dry rice volume (without a unit), so I feel like they might be different units?

So, anyone have any idea if I'm supposed to used 1 1/4 US cups of water per 1 gō of jasmine rice, or 1 1/4 gō water instead?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I see no decimals on that page and you should just use the Japanese cup. I honestly have been doing long grain white using the line with amazing results so you won't get a bad batch so mess around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
" Please use the same measuring cup when measuring rice/grain and water" = only use the included plastic cup as a measurement

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

I see no decimals on that page and you should just use the Japanese cup. I honestly have been doing long grain white using the line with amazing results so you won't get a bad batch so mess around.

Haha i was cross referencing with the quick-tips card i got with the rice cooker, which does have them

Steve Yun posted:

" Please use the same measuring cup when measuring rice/grain and water" = only use the included plastic cup as a measurement

Well, gently caress

I have brought shame upon my family.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Slanderer posted:

I have brought shame upon my family.

Yeah but you will soon be bringing them amazing rice. I love my Zoji. (PS they have a pretty decent recipe for mushroom rice, if you happen to like that)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What are you guys using to make shakes/malts? In my regular blender it gets too runny and my immersion blender can't power through the frozen clumps and it doesn't get smooth enough. I don't really want to get a drink mixer since I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cabinet space and I imagine the consumer level ones have poo poo motors anyway. Is there any other way to get a thick, smooth shake?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tonedef131 posted:

What are you guys using to make shakes/malts? In my regular blender it gets too runny and my immersion blender can't power through the frozen clumps and it doesn't get smooth enough. I don't really want to get a drink mixer since I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cabinet space and I imagine the consumer level ones have poo poo motors anyway. Is there any other way to get a thick, smooth shake?

No.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I feared as much. Any recommended models?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's the quality difference between the pressure cookers in the OP? Those are some pretty drastically different prices.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Would a Vitamix really not fill the bill?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

The vitamix website claims it can

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

They said consumer level and I think of the Vitamix as more of a professional level appliance, also yes, it would work fine if they are willing to spend the money.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have a Breville Hemisphere I'm going to ride out till it quits before buying a Vitamix. That said I don't see how a higher horsepower is going to help the situation. About any blender can mix milk and ice cream, but they seem to overmix them to the point of runny.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

What's the quality difference between the pressure cookers in the OP? Those are some pretty drastically different prices.

According to Dave Arnold, the Kuhn Rikon always wins in taste tests because it's a non-venting pressure cooker. According to him, venting ones (which almost all pressure cookers are) will dampen the flavor of onions, garlic and other alliums. He doesn't know the reasoning behind it, but has done extensive taste testing at the French Culinary Institute and several others corroborate this. This problem can be fixed in a cheap pressure cooker by doubling the amount of onions and garlic or adding fresh onion and garlic after pressure cooking.

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=2561.html

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Anyone know the use-case difference between these two types of sizzle platters?

The one on the left is Winco brand, mirror-finish aluminum, $6.99.

The one on the right has "Melco / Cleve, OH / Made in USA" imprinted on the underside. Looks like cast aluminum? Dimpled and about twice as heavy. Doesn't flex at all. $15.99.

Most google searches for "sizzle platter" return the mirror-finished type.

Alternatively: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/tools-test-kitchen/article/sizzle-platter

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Regarding shakes, what about a Bamix?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Family Photo posted:

Anyone know the use-case difference between these two types of sizzle platters?

The one on the left is Winco brand, mirror-finish aluminum, $6.99.

The one on the right has "Melco / Cleve, OH / Made in USA" imprinted on the underside. Looks like cast aluminum? Dimpled and about twice as heavy. Doesn't flex at all. $15.99.

Most google searches for "sizzle platter" return the mirror-finished type.

Alternatively: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/tools-test-kitchen/article/sizzle-platter

I mean it's aluminum but the thicker material will maybe hold temp better? Also not flexing sounds like a good thing. If it's for home use and you're not buying 90 then I don't see why not get the beefier matte one.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

deimos posted:

I mean it's aluminum but the thicker material will maybe hold temp better? Also not flexing sounds like a good thing. If it's for home use and you're not buying 90 then I don't see why not get the beefier matte one.

Thanks, yeah, for home use - probs mostly for broiler/grill. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with either type. Can't find anything on the internet comparing the two and my cook friend didn't seem to know the difference :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Family Photo posted:

Thanks, yeah, for home use - probs mostly for broiler/grill. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with either type. Can't find anything on the internet comparing the two and my cook friend didn't seem to know the difference :)

I appreciate the thought, and I'm assuming you got the idea from bon appetit - but honestly, is there an actual use case for these things outside of a restaurant?

why not use a 8 or 10in stainless skillet? or cast iron skillet? or a small 12in square pyrex baking dish? or small sheet pan?

for presentation sake maybe I get it, but most of the photos in that bon appetit thing were definitely prepared not on a sizzle pan, and then transferred over for a photo shoot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good rolling pin? I have a non-french atm which is too light and my knuckles don't clear the dough unless I'm careful.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

JK Adams 19"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks, grabbed that one and another maple tapered for rounder doughs.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is the Kitchenaid meat grinder/sausage stuffer fine if I only want to do sausage a couple of times a year? Should I find a metal one instead?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flaggy posted:

Is the Kitchenaid meat grinder/sausage stuffer fine if I only want to do sausage a couple of times a year? Should I find a metal one instead?

Depends on how much sausage you're doing at a time. A couple pounds, sure. 25? Get a dedicated grinder.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

mindphlux posted:

I appreciate the thought, and I'm assuming you got the idea from bon appetit - but honestly, is there an actual use case for these things outside of a restaurant?

why not use a 8 or 10in stainless skillet? or cast iron skillet? or a small 12in square pyrex baking dish? or small sheet pan?

for presentation sake maybe I get it, but most of the photos in that bon appetit thing were definitely prepared not on a sizzle pan, and then transferred over for a photo shoot.

Didn't get the idea from bon appetit - just found the fancy pictures after googling "sizzle platter."

They're for sure not a kitchen necessity. But, I think their niche is similar to SS prep bowls - they're light and stackable and heat-proof and you can abuse the poo poo out of them and just toss into the dishwasher after you're done. Like, I wouldn't put Pyrex or a SS skillet directly on a grill for fear of shattering/warping. Cast iron is heavier and more annoying to clean. An 1/8 sheet is pretty much the closest analogue, but looks kinda tacky on the table imo.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Family Photo posted:

Didn't get the idea from bon appetit - just found the fancy pictures after googling "sizzle platter."

They're for sure not a kitchen necessity. But, I think their niche is similar to SS prep bowls - they're light and stackable and heat-proof and you can abuse the poo poo out of them and just toss into the dishwasher after you're done. Like, I wouldn't put Pyrex or a SS skillet directly on a grill for fear of shattering/warping. Cast iron is heavier and more annoying to clean. An 1/8 sheet is pretty much the closest analogue, but looks kinda tacky on the table imo.

I don't have direct experience with either of the pans you have but I do have a set of Nordic wear sizzle pans I picked up at a thrift shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Fajita-Platter-Server/dp/B00008UA4B

I also have 2 of these that I picked up on clearance at walmart for $5

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LFSR3-Pre-Seasoned-Fajita-Set/dp/B00008GKDP

Between the 2 the cast Iron wins hands down. The aluminum doesn't really hold heat long enough to be effective at sizzling anything. The lodge cast irons while thinner and lighter than a standard cast iron pan are thick enough that they stay hot enough to sizzle when served and keep the food warm longer than the aluminum type.

If you really can't deal with rinsing your cast iron off and wipeing with oil after use lodge does make heat treated cast iron servers for restaurant use. They are essentially case hardened so they will not rust in a dishwasher and because they are for the restaurant market they are pretty cheap.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/heat-treated-iron.asp

If you absolutely need to go with one of the 2 you posted go with the thicker matte finished one. The thinner one will not hold any heat and will look like rear end after one use. The matte one could be cleaned with an SOS pad and still look matte even if you scrub the poo poo out of it.

Also with cast iron you don't have to worry about cutting with metal utensils on the platter. Aluminum would scratch like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Looks like a new knife maker is trying to get some traction.
Has anyone gotten hands on or thoughts?

I do love my Wüsthof / Henkels

http://www.misen.co