Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Eonwe posted:

okay so, why does this thread get so many posts?

I don't really know why, but there are a lot of people here who love to make fun of CIG (the people that are making this "game"). If the game were bad, that would be one thing. The reason so many people post here, at least IMO, is less because of the bad "game" and more because of how poorly CIG handles everything it does as well as how willing star citizen backers are to accept whatever bullshit CIG feeds them. And CIG does some bizarrre things. They literally read this thread and their decisionmaking is affected by it.
This. Plus it's looking like the largest gaming and crowdfunded time-bomb in history. We're not here to snip wires. We're just listening to the ticking noise and string up the "DO NOT CROSS" tape. We don't want anybody to get hurt.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I know what everyone is thinking....what this thread needs is a crossover with the Gamergate Universe.

Brianna Wu or Ryan Archer? You decide!

It's not TRACING - it's INKING!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Google Butt posted:

There have been multiple eras in this thread, none greater than the Karl era.

Also simply read the post histories of gorf and eightace. Skip Derek's.

and then watch all the :pgabz: videos

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nymix posted:

So is it even possible to get Stockholm's after one post? Morbid curiosity with a +3 to inebriation - what is this place? what does it all mean??

What does it mean? What does anything mean? There is only one answer: :gary: .

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Nymix posted:

Okay, with enough poison in my gut, I'm ready to have this stupid loving thread explained to me - why the gently caress does it get 10 million shitposts per day?

My understanding extends to Star Citizen being a kickstarter that is probably not gonna happen. Take me from here, and be gentle.

Imagine the biggest car pileup ever. Now imagine that pileup lasted for years and years in real time, and you could watch it all happen from a safe distance, and comment on the expensive cars being wrecked and lives being ruined, while people involved seem to be unable to stop driving their cars directly into the ever expanding tangle of wreckage, some people even get out their car, get in a new car, and drive it straight into the mountain of ruin on purpose, beliving it's the right choice.

That's Star Citizen.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Eonwe posted:

you :justpost:ed right there though!

Maybe the posting was inside of me all along!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I know what everyone is thinking....what this thread needs is a crossover with the Gamergate Universe.

Brianna Wu or Ryan Archer? You decide!

It's not TRACING - it's INKING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHCMiCtt3M

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Xaerael posted:

Imagine the biggest car pileup ever. Now imagine that pileup lasted for years and years in real time, and you could watch it all happen from a safe distance, and comment on the expensive cars being wrecked and lives being ruined, while people involved seem to be unable to stop driving their cars directly into the ever expanding tangle of wreckage, some people even get out their car, get in a new car, and drive it straight into the mountain of ruin on purpose, beliving it's the right choice.

That's Star Citizen.

Is that Sarsapariller?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Xaerael posted:

That's Star Citizen.

The mental image of someone Sarsaparilla hijacking the "Refund Ambulance" only to turn it around and drive it straight back into the very wreck the EMTs just pulled him out of is delightful.

"I NEED TO GO BACK TO THE WRECK"

E: was reminded of the dude's name.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there's so much to make fun of about CIG and they keep doing nearly everything wrong - the further along this gets, the worse their project gets. so it keeps escalating.

we're in a relatively dead patch at the moment, but sure enough, there'll be more videos over the next seven days.

also it is fun to post, posting is fun

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

G0RF posted:

Isn't that one of the Wing Commander anniversary videos where Ben plays and Chris stops by at some point? Sometime semi-recently? I didn't watch it but it was similarly describes by others who did.

Apparently the livestream where they play wing commander isn't the right one and it was a video of them opening up wing commander stuff in "chris's fancy office thats supposed to make you think he's rich".

There are some primo catte jpegs in it for anyone who can find the vid she's talking about.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Morning fellow shitposters

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mirificus posted:

Is that Sarsapariller?

Nah, sarsapariller's the guy who gets his insurance money, buys a more expensive car, doesn't insure it, then drives it straight into the wreck pile.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've said this before, but for me the appeal isn't just that CIG keep screwing up, it's that they screw up in directions you wouldn't think possible. Deciding to base your space combat sim on an FPS engine, the CEO's wife dumping a pile of donuts in front of fat people trying to diet, Ryan Archer... there's so much insanity here. If someone makes a movie about this (and I hope to god they do), they'll probably have to tone some of it down because people who didn't see it won't believe it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This thread is the peanut gallery for a $111 million shitshow.

The peanut gallery occasionally jeers loud enough to make the shitshow slip up even further.

It is brilliant.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ravachol posted:

Universe? Last I heard it was a single star system with an instance that crumbles with more than 16 players

and so she is limited only by her own imagination

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah that's a good point; part of the appeal is definitely that maybe if we all post the same thing in this thread, we will actually make CIG perform a crazy thing or do something.

like we've effected them releasing trailers, their video output, the way they communicate ... it's hilarious. what other multi-million dollar company would do this?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nymix posted:

So is it even possible to get Stockholm's after one post? Morbid curiosity with a +3 to inebriation - what is this place? what does it all mean??

Star Citizen is a 111 million dollar game that has been turned into a movie.

I'm sure you'll recognise the cast.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best part of this thread is all of it.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Xaerael posted:

That's Star Citizen.

I like this one the best.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

Star Citizen SQ42 is a 111 million dollar game that has been turned into a movie.

FTFY

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

I've said this before, but for me the appeal isn't just that CIG keep screwing up, it's that they screw up in directions you wouldn't think possible. Deciding to base your space combat sim on an FPS engine, the CEO's wife dumping a pile of donuts in front of fat people trying to diet, Ryan Archer... there's so much insanity here. If someone makes a movie about this (and I hope to god they do), they'll probably have to tone some of it down because people who didn't see it won't believe it.

The response to the movie pitch even has the potential for comedy...

"Look, this is all a little cartoony, our viewers tend to like real world stories..."

"But sir, it's an accurate retelling of events without embellishment or satire."

"... Even the bit where the man in charge is confounded on multiple occasions by his own game crashing?!"

"Yep, here's the clips on youtube..."

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

That picture is without photoshop effects??

I really like the colors on that.

Depends on what you mean by "photoshop effects".
It's converted from RAW, using Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw (not sure which anymore, can't remember - amounts to same, really).

It's not an in-camera JPEG.
No one sane shoots in-camera JPEGs.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

G0RF posted:

So they admit the server has a framerate, sort of headless version of the cry engine as I’ve mentioned previously. Will give them their dues I never expected that admission as most backend server engineers scratch their heads and ask “why does a server NEED a framerate or a high framerate to get client physics working?”. It’s an admission on their part but that’s not how a game server SHOULD work. It will be a tough nut for them to crack, not impossible to fix but still require some serious dedication and engineering time. If it was done correctly at the start before implementation in planning then it wouldn’t be an issue now.

Are you getting into a semantic argument over 'framerate' instead of 'tickrate'? Because game servers kind of do need that stuff, and the terminology is just a bit different than other 'servers' (db, web, IRC, whatever) - though it's the same technical issue under the hood, just magnified for games.

Because it sounds like while you're spot on about how it's stupid to let client-side poo poo dictate server performance - what that poster is trying to describe is pretty obvious when you look at Star Citizen combined with what I grasp on game server communication anyway, which is a constant set of 'just start spouting poo poo and then get corrected by the server'. The server is responsible for *so much poo poo* that it can't get updates back to clients in a resonable timeframe.

You're connected to a server. Server goes "ok you wake up in a lovely bedroom". You input to move forward. There's two options here: you wait for network latency to send your command, and only when you hear back from the server going 'ok sure, you have moved forward' does your client update. This (isn't really done?) because at even decent latencies you'd see a quarter second delay on everything you do.

So instead things get interpolated and corrected: You input to open your lovely bedroom door. Your *client* goes "ok sure we'll do that" but also sends that input to the server. The server probably goes "ok, you're opening the door, the state of the door is now open" and confirms that back to you. Your experience is seamless, but what happens when the server and you fall out of sync due to lovely physics dragging server load up?

You input to move forward, server takes a two seconds to figure out the exact mass of your toe as it stubs an empty Benny's container and the velocity imparted to that container and the new vector it will be travelling upon. It goes "ok sure here's the new state of the world!"....but in that time, on the client side you've already moved forward, opened the door, and.....well poo poo, your client now reverts to the server state...which rubberbands you backwards at best, or traps you in a door you just got told was closed...or whatever.

If you want to see how much nerds care about game server framerates, just go look at the mass of arguments in the CS:GO community over official matchmaking servers running at 60fps instead of the 128fps most private servers use.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

AP posted:

Star Citizen is a 111 million dollar game that has been turned into a movie.

I recognize Sandi, who in the hell are these other losers?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

Apparently the livestream where they play wing commander isn't the right one and it was a video of them opening up wing commander stuff in "chris's fancy office thats supposed to make you think he's rich".

There are some primo catte jpegs in it for anyone who can find the vid she's talking about.

Look in your internet history or something, CIG push out about 2-3 hours of video content a week and have done for 3+ years. That could be anything.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

Why do even the pre-rendered videos have spacesuits with an exposed neck?

So they have something to scratch.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

G0RF posted:

Speaking of inauthenticity and slick motion graphics, anybody know what game this commercial is for? Looks pretty slick with asteroids colliding into each other and pretty female pilots and all that.

They couldn't even complete the hydraulic bars for their giant door.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

quote:

fa@

Somehow I deciphered this from our clues. I think I'm getting close...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lladre posted:

I think you are stupid for trying to make my statement something that it isn't.

And you are a filthy poor.

Gain more meaningful employment with a better pay grade, so you can afford to spend money on yourself.

But I didn't try to make your statement something it isn't.

Also I spend loads and loads of money on myself, some would say too much. But I appreciate your concern for my financial well being.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Nymix posted:

Okay, with enough poison in my gut, I'm ready to have this stupid loving thread explained to me - why the gently caress does it get 10 million shitposts per day?

My understanding extends to Star Citizen being a kickstarter that is probably not gonna happen. Take me from here, and be gentle.

This sums it up best I think. This is the CEO of a 110million+ crowd funded gaming studio trying to play his own game (after 4 years of development). Keep in mind that we are told that he coded a lot of the background physics tech, and codes all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

The response to the movie pitch even has the potential for comedy...

"Look, this is all a little cartoony, our viewers tend to like real world stories..."

"But sir, it's an accurate retelling of events without embellishment or satire."

"... Even the bit where the man in charge is confounded on multiple occasions by his own game crashing?!"

"Yep, here's the clips on youtube..."

"Ok, but we feel you're working too hard to make this Sandi Gardiner character unlikeable. Eating donuts in front of fat people who are dieting? Come on."

"Let me show you this Youtube clip."

"Fine. But this section where she does it again after people on the internet point out it's a lovely thing to do is too mu-"

"Youtube."

"... who raised this woman? The Sith?"

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
This is the wife of said CEO (they tried to hide it for 4 years), and also the VP of marketing, and head of HR, Costumer support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFZEi2LbOg

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

This thread is the peanut gallery for a $111 million shitshow.

The peanut gallery occasionally jeers loud enough to make the shitshow slip up even further.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

runsamok posted:

Keep in mind that during the last sale, shortly before they crossed $100M they changed when a pledge shows up in the funding totals. It's not when the pledge is made, but rather when CIG has confirmation of payment. I don't know if they changed the fleet counter to match this behaviour.

Interesting, do you have a link to this? Was it a dev post or one of their dozen worthless TV shows?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Xaerael posted:

Nah, sarsapariller's the guy who gets his insurance money, buys a more expensive car, doesn't insure it, then drives it straight into the wreck pile.

I read all of Sarsapariller's 2.0 status updates as they were posted yet I still can't fathom how 2.0 convinced him not only to buy back in after getting a refund but to buy back in for $2500.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Cuntpunch posted:

Are you getting into a semantic argument over 'framerate' instead of 'tickrate'? Because game servers kind of do need that stuff, and the terminology is just a bit different than other 'servers' (db, web, IRC, whatever) - though it's the same technical issue under the hood, just magnified for games.

Because it sounds like while you're spot on about how it's stupid to let client-side poo poo dictate server performance - what that poster is trying to describe is pretty obvious when you look at Star Citizen combined with what I grasp on game server communication anyway, which is a constant set of 'just start spouting poo poo and then get corrected by the server'. The server is responsible for *so much poo poo* that it can't get updates back to clients in a resonable timeframe.

You're connected to a server. Server goes "ok you wake up in a lovely bedroom". You input to move forward. There's two options here: you wait for network latency to send your command, and only when you hear back from the server going 'ok sure, you have moved forward' does your client update. This (isn't really done?) because at even decent latencies you'd see a quarter second delay on everything you do.

So instead things get interpolated and corrected: You input to open your lovely bedroom door. Your *client* goes "ok sure we'll do that" but also sends that input to the server. The server probably goes "ok, you're opening the door, the state of the door is now open" and confirms that back to you. Your experience is seamless, but what happens when the server and you fall out of sync due to lovely physics dragging server load up?

You input to move forward, server takes a two seconds to figure out the exact mass of your toe as it stubs an empty Benny's container and the velocity imparted to that container and the new vector it will be travelling upon. It goes "ok sure here's the new state of the world!"....but in that time, on the client side you've already moved forward, opened the door, and.....well poo poo, your client now reverts to the server state...which rubberbands you backwards at best, or traps you in a door you just got told was closed...or whatever.

If you want to see how much nerds care about game server framerates, just go look at the mass of arguments in the CS:GO community over official matchmaking servers running at 60fps instead of the 128fps most private servers use.

You're replying to the wrong guy-- I just posted the quote.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mirificus posted:

I read all of Sarsapariller's 2.0 status updates as they were posted yet I still can't fathom how 2.0 convinced him not only to buy back in after getting a refund but to buy back in for $2500.

Because he's a manchild with no concept of money.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

1500 posted:

This is the wife of said CEO (they tried to hide it for 4 years), and also the VP of marketing, and head of HR, Costumer support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFZEi2LbOg

Probably pulling a salary for each role, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

• Locked thread