Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

guts and bolts posted:

I didn't see any Bothan spies in there, did you

Wrong Death Star plans, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

The Gate posted:

Edit: what I really want this movie to be is Star Wars: the Dirty Dozen, and we might just get.
Looks more like Kelly's Heroes (which is fine by me).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But Guts, we've already got the OT and the NT for the fun pulp space adventure. Are you suggesting that an effects-driven grim wars in the stars spin-off tale doesn't excite you in the slightest?

guts and bolts posted:

I didn't see any Bothan spies in there, did you

I might have, I honestly don't even know what a Bothan spy is anymore.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

AndyElusive posted:

But Guts, we've already got the OT and the NT for the fun pulp space adventure. Are you suggesting that an effects-driven grim wars in the stars spin-off tale doesn't excite you in the slightest?

I might have, I honestly don't even know what a Bothan spy is anymore.

Me neither, it's k

Also I mean... like, there's room for a gritty Star Wars movie, I just don't think it's for me. It remains to be seen if Rogue One even is that, for sure, though, so I'm not like writing the movie off or whatever. I just personally think the trailer was kinda poop and that the "TWO FEMALES WHO KICK BUTT!??? MUST BE RELATED!!!!" online reaction to it so far was also sorta poop. I also have no special resentment for the new stormtrooper designs, so seeing the old ones back in action is neat-o but not like THANK GOD or whatever.

What I'm saying is, is that I hope Rogue One is good and that I would like for starfighters to be in it, but if it's good and they're not that is more than fine, too

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

Looks more like Kelly's Heroes (which is fine by me).

Yeah, that's probably more accurate, and also good.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

General Battuta posted:

Hi dude

Any 100 point lists you assemble here will probably be pretty balanced (just don't use the generic YT-1300 which sucks). For a beginner game I'd leave out the phantom and try not to include the hassle of a full TIE swarm. Maybe give the new guy Han? Having a turret will make the game less punishing.

Thanks, brother. I miss getting my butt kicked by you in Netrunner.

overdesigned posted:

Here's one that may or may not be good:

Thanks for the recs!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of minor nitpicks, rewatching the Rogue One trailer really reminds me that I miss the days before digital cameras. I'm sure it was rear end to film with them, but movies from the 70-80's just have this great quality that the crisp, clean modern films don't have.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Eimi posted:

Speaking of minor nitpicks, rewatching the Rogue One trailer really reminds me that I miss the days before digital cameras. I'm sure it was rear end to film with them, but movies from the 70-80's just have this great quality that the crisp, clean modern films don't have.

The Force Awakens was shot on film.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

The Force Awakens was shot on film.

:psyduck: That surprises me given how it looks. I guess it's better definition film or better post treatments that makes stuff look like that? It honestly takes me out of most recent stuff. I think the only 'recent' films I've seen that I didn't notice that crispness were Dredd and Fury Road.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm watching The Force Awakens on Blu Ray right this minute, and it's crisp as hell. Not sure what you're talking about.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mainly that it is too crisp and clean, while older films look grittier and I prefer that grit.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Strobe posted:

I'm watching The Force Awakens on Blu Ray right this minute, and it's crisp as hell. Not sure what you're talking about.

Yeah, that's why she was surprised it's analog film. She's saying digital is too crisp.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eimi posted:

:psyduck: That surprises me given how it looks. I guess it's better definition film or better post treatments that makes stuff look like that? It honestly takes me out of most recent stuff. I think the only 'recent' films I've seen that I didn't notice that crispness were Dredd and Fury Road.

Maybe it's just nostalgia

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Grit-tinted glasses.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Did anyone else notice the slightly out of focus camera work in Han and Leia's goodbye scene? Drives me nuts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Look if its wrong to want this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfUOpvFXuPw but with Xwings and TIEs I don't want to be right. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Great scene, looks better when the quality is higher than 240p jesus how do you even watch that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Probably by playing too many video games at lovely fps ruining my eyes further than they already were.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To me the interesting thing in all this is that Rogue One is now the second Disney-made Star Wars movies in as many movies where a woman is the central main character and yet Disney is one of the staunchest adherents of the whole "lady characters make for bad merchandise" marketing ethos. It's kind of weird that they keep doing it when someone high up on the ladder clearly believes that they're making unmarketable characters in the process.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

To me the interesting thing in all this is that Rogue One is now the second Disney-made Star Wars movies in as many movies where a woman is the central main character and yet Disney is one of the staunchest adherents of the whole "lady characters make for bad merchandise" marketing ethos. It's kind of weird that they keep doing it when someone high up on the ladder clearly believes that they're making unmarketable characters in the process.

And then the Rey toys are by far the best selling TFA merch

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also why would Disney think female characters make for bad merchandise when they have the whole Disney Princess thing?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

What's weird is that someone at Disney even thought this when evidence clearly shows otherwise and they still retain their position in the company.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Eimi posted:

Also why would Disney think female characters make for bad merchandise when they have the whole Disney Princess thing?

"I'm not going to buy my daughter star wars toys. I'll buy her princesses." - parents

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

alg posted:

"I'm not going to buy my daughter star wars toys. I'll buy her princesses." - parents

Those parents are the worst. :argh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Yeah I guess I should clarify that Disney thinks Princesses are fine merch for girls but that female characters in non princessy media are best kept to a minimum as far as things like toys and apparel goes. See how much Black Widow merch you can find compared to virtually any other Avengers character.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

""I'm not going to buy my daughter star wars toys. I'll buy her princesses." - parents"

-A Disney executive

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So the true villain in the star wars is Disney itself?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Eimi posted:

So the true villain in the star wars is Disney itself?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Eimi posted:

Disney has the whole Disney princess thing. They didn't need to buy Lucasfilm to sell toys to girls. It's a lovely attitude, but that's where they're coming from.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Fffffuck I'd kill to sit here drinking beer and playing some X-Wing on an ipad or laptop. Set it up like Disney Infinity, you unlock the ships online when you buy them physically. Some basic elo matchmaking, microtransactions for individual card singles (you know you would), hire me FFG.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Disney has the whole Disney princess thing. They didn't need to buy Lucasfilm to sell toys to girls. It's a lovely attitude, but that's where they're coming from.

Yeah from a market logic standpoint it makes sense.

The modern-day market for Girl Protagonist Merch is as follows.
1. Disney Princesses
2. Did I loving Stutter

The movie wing can churn out all the new female protagonists it wants to, making toys for it would be self-competition for the toywing. Now, you may wonder "wait, doesn't that assume it is impossible any boy would want a Rey toy?," to which the response is me staring at you blankly, then tilting my head to one side, and after a long couple of seconds working out "Y....yes?"

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

General Battuta posted:

Fffffuck I'd kill to sit here drinking beer and playing some X-Wing on an ipad or laptop. Set it up like Disney Infinity, you unlock the ships online when you buy them physically. Some basic elo matchmaking, microtransactions for individual card singles (you know you would), hire me FFG.

In a heart beat. I keep moving to places without gamers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You guys should pick up Tabletop Simulator on Steam and get the X-Wing stuff. It's way easier to use than Vassal.

I'm down for a game just about any night.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

You guys should pick up Tabletop Simulator on Steam and get the X-Wing stuff. It's way easier to use than Vassal.

I have Tabletop Simulator. How do I get the X-Wing stuff?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't you have to fiddle with all the bits? Or does it auto-execute movements, etc. like Vassal?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really like four B-wings with FCS and Tractor Beam but that might just be because my opponent has some bad flying luck.

Also some of the league guys went to Chicago Regionals. No one placed high but one guy faced a lovely opponent; he made the league guy announce every turn when if he was going to use Dash's ability and was an all around rules dicker.

Yes, I know it's Regionals but still.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Panzeh posted:

Kyle Katarn is a dumb character and doesn't deserve to return.

He's like Dash Rendar with a lightsaber.

I thought guts and bolts was bad, but you're now officially the worst poster. :mad:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Endman posted:

I thought guts and bolts was bad, but you're now officially the worst poser. :mad:

I'm basically the best poster, though??? Actually I take that back, it's time for the most powerful power rankings

Best Posters
1) Strobe
2) anyone who posts really cool re-paints of their minis
3) Otisburg
4) Panzeh

POWER GAP

4) Geisladisk
5) ConfusedUs
6) alg/The Gate/Icon of Sin
7) guts and bolts

POWER GAP

9000) Endman
9001) Brunas

EDIT: Also holy smokes are we starting a TTS X-Wing league? Please let us do this thing and I will play in it, this actually sounds like the coolest thing, spectating Strobe's insanity against in-meta lists sounds like a good way to pass an evening

Set up an IRC or some group Skype calls, get everyone in the SA Wangs thread improving and getting drunk at the same time

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'll have you know that my driveby shitposting is a carefully cultivated art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

Don't you have to fiddle with all the bits? Or does it auto-execute movements, etc. like Vassal?

there's an automated movement thing for it, it's rad

everyone get TTS and X-Wing stuff for TTS, let me download your technology before regionals plz

• Locked thread