Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pick posted:

My brother was one of the kids who reviewed for Zillions and by god he took it seriously.

please expand upon this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

My brother was one of the kids who reviewed for Zillions and by god he took it seriously.

Yea that's badass, I'd love to hear more as well. Did you (he) get all sorts of free toys? Or did they make him pay for them so he would actually feel the sting if he got burned?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

please expand upon this

Lol great username for this thread

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Feb 25, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm late to the Bubsy discussion, but that pilot looks like a 90s prototype of Foodfight! Yikes. Good thing that Bubsy 3D buried that miserable franchise for good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I had zillions too and it was really cool as a kid

Do they still make it? I have a 11 year old who would prolly enjoy it.

I believe they folded in 2000, which is a shame, because yeah, I have a 9 year old, and I think he'd be old enough to appreciate a subscription too.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Not a magazine - but try Crash Course or Crash Course Kids for the younger ones, if you haven't come across them already.

They might scratch that 'learn' stuff itch I remember having about stuff at that age. Burning questions about poo poo the teachers could never answer fully. I would have been 100% a better student if I had these kinds of videos to reflect back on if I was confused about a topic. Ended up going to the library and reading the different science mags, which I guess is a totally 90's thing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Frankston posted:

8 year old me was so pumped when I opened these for my birthday in 96

Were these the ones that came with a comic book about how the reflective blue ooze was actually a superhero or some poo poo?

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Friday nights watching This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Royal Canadian Air Farce and thinking I was cool for pretending to understand all the jokes.

Then asking my parents WHY DOES RITA MACNEIL LOOK LIKE THAT

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Were these the ones that came with a comic book about how the reflective blue ooze was actually a superhero or some poo poo?

those were probably sketchers, they even spun off a cartoon for their shoe inspired superheroes in the midd 2000's it felt so loving 90's

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just main lined fuller house. It was a super nostalgic treat and totally captured the spirit of the original. Way better than the x-files return at any rate.

Which to be fair the Darin Morgan episode was a pretty good meta-commentary on why there shouldn't be any more x-files. Could've done without the mild (well compared to the internet) transphobic joke though

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Choco1980 posted:

I want to say the Rugrats Movie did that in theaters.

And I also want to say they used the same name for it John Waters did for the gimmick in Polyester, and got sued.

I don't think he actually sued for Oderama, because I've seen Waters lament they failed to renew the copyright.

insufficient guns posted:

Friday nights watching This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Royal Canadian Air Farce and thinking I was cool for pretending to understand all the jokes.

Then asking my parents WHY DOES RITA MACNEIL LOOK LIKE THAT

I remember a classmate repeating a joke about Rita McNeil and the teacher freaking out about it because making fun of someones weight was not appropriate. Though the joke I think was about boring singing. Weird thing about 22 minutes is that it was very East Coast humor, and I was always surprised that it read outside of it.

nicepunk
Dec 13, 2008

Humphreys posted:

A very fun game! Wasn't there some talk of a remake/sequel last year?

Yes, "Armikrog" is/was on Steam, and it's almost as cool as The Neverhood.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First computer my family owned was Windows '98, which my dad got specifically because he wanted to play Age of Empires II.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A worthy goal though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I remember trying to install Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (which was pretty much a pallet swap of AoE2). It required a minimum of 32 megs of RAM, I only had 24 :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Super Waffle posted:

I remember trying to install Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (which was pretty much a pallet swap of AoE2). It required a minimum of 32 megs of RAM, I only had 24 :smith:

Psh, I remember the old Acer P100 my dad bought in the early/mid 90s that had all of 4MB EDO in it (later upgraded to 8MB). Original Quake played pretty well on it for a while after he installed a 4MB video card, Quake 2 not so much. I played that game in almost the smallest window possible because anything higher than 800x600 played like a slideshow :lol:

Ah, the good old days.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
ah yes, 90s pc gaming, where by the time you got your new state of the art computer home and plugged in, it was already not good enough to run new games...

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
But if you pressed f5 to drop you into Dos some games played better. I remember installing Doom and heretic on my school's library computers, I installed them in the c:\windows directory. Somehow they managed to go noticed until my senior year when my Senior year when my girlfriend ratted me out because I paid more attention to my morning deathmatches than her.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wish modern games let you just press the + and - keys in-game to decrease the window size for increased performance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

A worthy goal though.

I actually got the HD edition on Steam a while ago and I'd forgotten how great the narrator n the William Wallace campaign is.

"CREATE TEN MORRRRRE... WOOOOOOOAAAAAD RRRRRRRRRRAIDERRRRRRS!"

Super Waffle posted:

Speaking of screen sizes, after I upgraded to Windows 10, Steam only plays Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight in a small window now. It was full-screen in Windows 8. :(

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually got the HD edition on Steam a while ago and I'd forgotten how great the narrator n the William Wallace campaign is.

"CREATE TEN MORRRRRE... WOOOOOOOAAAAAD RRRRRRRRRRAIDERRRRRRS!"

Speaking of screen sizes, after I upgraded to Windows 10, Steam only plays Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight in a small window now. It was full-screen in Windows 8. :(

Check your graphics card settings. One of them defaults to "as big as it can actually go" rather than "fill as much screen as possible".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

King Vidiot posted:

I wish modern games let you just press the + and - keys in-game to decrease the window size for increased performance.

poo poo I forgot about that. Mashing minus on Doom so it'd play at a million fps.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Borrowing a game from a friend and they not lending you the manual or thing that has the copy protect on it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This popped into my head earlier. I think you will all agree it's pretty fuckin 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-4r6ADlzQ

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

twistedmentat posted:

Borrowing a game from a friend and they not lending you the manual or thing that has the copy protect on it.

Makes me wonder if I ever did look at the back of the jewel case of Metal Gear Solid the first time I played it in 1999.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

om nom nom posted:

Yea that's badass, I'd love to hear more as well. Did you (he) get all sorts of free toys? Or did they make him pay for them so he would actually feel the sting if he got burned?

I was quite young (my brother is older) so I do not remember everything, but he would get the toys for free. There were forms for testing the items, at least one of which seemed to apply to all toys equally (is it fun/is it a good value/etc), and another which would be to some degree specific to that toy ("Does it really shoot 30 feet like it says?"). There'd always be room for a comment or a final statement about the product. He also got to keep the toys when he was done. Sometimes they made him watch advertisements, also, and give his impressions. I'll see if he remembers more details.

I have no idea how they found him, but he was the right kid for it because both my brother and I were voracious readers and cut our teeth on our parents' one regular subscription, Consumer Reports. I think Zillions was from Consumer Reports so the application might have been in there.

I think my parents' one complaint about Zillions is it was "too fun and colorful" but they let us have it as well as regular Consumer Reports. Thanks mom.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Elfgames posted:

those were probably sketchers, they even spun off a cartoon for their shoe inspired superheroes in the midd 2000's it felt so loving 90's

They were Converse apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAnihpUe3AE

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just main lined fuller house. It was a super nostalgic treat and totally captured the spirit of the original.

Yeah, it wasn't that bad actually. Overall I thought it was pretty average multicam sitcom stuff, but I liked that they were self-aware enough to throw in a bunch of meta-jokes about the fact that it's a rehash. It definitely completely relies on nostalgia for any attention whatsoever.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBtpqbOKXk

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GEdg9nrNg
Ska? Check
An MTV live concert? Check
Shot of a dude in a mullet crowdsurfing? Check
Motherfucking rollerblading on a halfpipe? Triple check.

I think all I'm missing is some fisheye lenses and more VHS artifacting and I'd have a bingo here

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Spaced God posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GEdg9nrNg
Ska? Check
An MTV live concert? Check
Shot of a dude in a mullet crowdsurfing? Check
Motherfucking rollerblading on a halfpipe? Triple check.

I think all I'm missing is some fisheye lenses and more VHS artifacting and I'd have a bingo here

i watched this live

i also bought the cassette tape of turn the radio off later that day

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Super Waffle posted:

Wait, how is this possible? I seem to remember RAM sticks (almost?) always needing to be in even numbers on the motherboard to be recognized--not to mention they had to be the same size stick or risk problems. I feel like I learned this mistake the hard way when I bought an extra stick of RAM and the computer never recognized it on boot, thus requiring me to return it after I found out I had to get a stick identical to the one already on my mobo.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

dialhforhero posted:

Wait, how is this possible? I seem to remember RAM sticks (almost?) always needing to be in even numbers on the motherboard to be recognized--not to mention they had to be the same size stick or risk problems. I feel like I learned this mistake the hard way when I bought an extra stick of RAM and the computer never recognized it on boot, thus requiring me to return it after I found out I had to get a stick identical to the one already on my mobo.

You had to install them in pairs, but you could have two different sized pairs. He probably had a pair of 8MB sticks and a pair of 4MB sticks. This was also when RAM was ridiculously expensive, so those smaller pairs were popular upgrades.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHaKYR2rVSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCoFWFzW6s&list=PLnJmQ_jPaIkqCfe6GAFiZbmrJY8JQ4Y2v&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVaeQB1kcA

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Clitch posted:

You had to install them in pairs, but you could have two different sized pairs. He probably had a pair of 8MB sticks and a pair of 4MB sticks. This was also when RAM was ridiculously expensive, so those smaller pairs were popular upgrades.

Yeah, I often had odd amounts of ram. Two 16mb and one 64mb was fun. I remember opening loads of tabs in Opera (aww yeah, tabbed browsing, living the future!) and being impressed that my machine didn't instantly fall apart.

Nowadays of course, my coffee cup has more than 96mb ram, but the thrill of multi-tasking was still very real in the 90's.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Was this posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0668UNhYjXg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What I would give for a comprehensive collection of bootleg Simpsons merch from the 90's.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Don't have a cow, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Ted posted:

What I would give for a comprehensive collection of bootleg Simpsons merch from the 90's.

Matt Groening enjoys collecting it.