Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I prefer Harada's OC Chloe the Lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is good and perfect, too pure for this world.

Capcom, requesting CFN title that says "...nothin personnel..."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

I don't like playing charge on pad and always found it kinda awkward to "time" my specials, plus it leads to less mobility overall. I think most people that would rather not play charge characters have similar issues. There you go.

There is nothing about playing on pad that makes charge any harder than on stick. The only real complaint here is "I want to walk forward all the time," which you get to do anyway if you pick Guile, because charge projectiles let you follow up and press buttons.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Maybe he has a brain condition that only activates if he's playing on pad, don't be so insensitive Brosnan

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I prefer charge characters in hyper fighting and ST but then again I was/am willing to practice getting my timings right and am patient enough to not simply hammer on buttons like a maniac

edit: did you know you can charge for these moves while doing other things? jump in the air, and hold down and you can do a flash kick when you land. In fact, if you press a button that doesn't complete a charge motion you can continue to charge through that attack. You can even charge through special moves.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 7, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

There is nothing about playing on pad that makes charge any harder than on stick.

Did I say that?

God, it's almost like certain archetypes fit certain people better than others!

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 7, 2016

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Well what you actually said was "[the reason for whining about charge moves is that] I don't like playing charge on pad" but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt in my assumption that you were implying an even remotely more meaningful point.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

none of my friends growing up could handle rapid fire blanka balls or boxer rush punches

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Well what you actually said was "[the reason for whining about charge moves is that] I don't like playing charge on pad" but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt in my assumption that you were implying an even remotely more meaningful point.

It just feels more awkward to me, is all. I get cleaner down-to-up inputs playing on stick and I don't even play on stick - and doubly so for charge supers. It's just an issue with recognizing diagonals with your thumb, which I'm aware some people don't have, but hey. Also memorizing timing is not "I wanna always move forward", it is trickier to keep down charge timing than it is to do a simple motion to some people.

I don't even know why I'm saying this because right now I'm maining a charge character anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like charge characters. I think Guile's super is hard to do on a pad but I don't play on pad so this matters not to me.

The "trick" to charge characters is to be holding down-back at all times, even when you're not holding down-back

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't like charge characters because I always gently caress up charge timing and there's nothing more frustrating than dropping a combo because you were just a little too quick moving out of your charge motion. :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't like charge characters because I always gently caress up charge timing and there's nothing more frustrating than dropping a combo because you were just a little too quick moving out of your charge motion. :(

Overall it feels like the length you have to hold charges for are way down in this game compared to Ultra.

Anyone else entering Dreamhack next month? I'll be there.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
The only reason to play charge character was because its hard to do fireball motion on pad in old games, I cant believe someone wouldn't play a charge character because they find the opposite to be true, that is completely crazy to me.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
If charge motions are hard you should open up training mode and learn them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't know what it is about Karin's Trial 6, but my brain just freezes after doing that first dash punch into launcher and i never do the shoulder on time. Also there's this weird thing where the launcher will execute but doesn't fulfill the combo timing :confused:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't know what it is about Karin's Trial 6, but my brain just freezes after doing that first dash punch into launcher and i never do the shoulder on time. Also there's this weird thing where the launcher will execute but doesn't fulfill the combo timing :confused:

The launcher has to be the fastest version to count. This is the "just-frame" version, though you have more leniency than that implies. I just try to plink it and I get JF every time. You can also tell which version you did by the sounds she makes, the instant version she just yells.

For the tenko > orochi, maybe try practicing doing the dash alone without inputting the orochi punch command. You need to get the dash out as fast as possible after the tenko, once you can do that every time it will be easier to make it a fast orochi, or at least it was for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

A good video that helped me do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGyhH_DdXgE

It's also a good video that will make you really jealous of how loving clean the dude's execution is. :(

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lemon-Lime posted:

A good video that helped me do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGyhH_DdXgE

It's also a good video that will make you really jealous of how loving clean the dude's execution is. :(

Thanks for that video, I think it's going to help a lot.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

For the life of me i cant do Ryu's final (10) challenge. I fail to connect the back heavy kick every time. Any tutorial videos on it?

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

AttackTheMoon posted:

For the life of me i cant do Ryu's final (10) challenge. I fail to connect the back heavy kick every time. Any tutorial videos on it?

without even knowing what it is i can almost guarantee you have to walk forward a step at some point in the combo. watch the example in the game carefully

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AttackTheMoon posted:

You need to walk forward just before the st.hp. The way I do it is I do the CC hk, then hold the stick forward slightly during the CC animation, then st.hp xx v-tigger. During the st.hp animation, right as it starts I immediately hold the stick back and let the v-trigger animation pop, then mash the axe kick. From there its easy peasy st.lk tatsu super.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 8, 2016

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips for pressuring people after I knock them down as Mika? I've been doing f+HP into Wingless Airplane for people who will fall for it and otherwise I mostly miss timing the command grab when they get up and they throw me instead

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

teagone posted:

You need to walk forward just before the st.hp. The way I do it is I do the CC hk, then hold the stick forward slightly during the CC animation, then st.hp xx v-tigger. During the st.hp animation, right as it starts I immediately hold the stick back and let the v-trigger animation pop, then mash the axe kick. From there its easy peasy st.lk tatsu super.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

without even knowing what it is i can almost guarantee you have to walk forward a step at some point in the combo. watch the example in the game carefully

Thanks, I'll try it out later and report back

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

DoubleDonut posted:

Anyone have any tips for pressuring people after I knock them down as Mika? I've been doing f+HP into Wingless Airplane for people who will fall for it and otherwise I mostly miss timing the command grab when they get up and they throw me instead
There's no one solution and you have to make an educated guess 100% of the time

The best you can do is hide your movements somewhat and keep the opponent guessing. Best way to do this is using her target combo. Personally I wouldn't recommend using her fHP straight away as most people will block on wakeup the first time. Instead, do either LK~HCB+LK~MP (or omit the LK if you want to throw them the other way). It's basically an option select that gives you target combo if the LK hits, and a command grab if it whiffs. You get to choose which one.

This works with all her specials so long as there's a MP buffered somewhere in the motion but you're still making a read, so it's not a brainless solution. You could even do blocked LK into command grab, since you're left + afterwards. Most of her close pressure outside of fHP stems from her stLK so use it liberally.

Once you've gotten them scared of your command grabs they'll be inclined to mash or jump out. Take this on a character by character basis. If you're up against Laura, for instance, you can pressure her for free with fHP so long as she doesn't have super, whereas Ryu you'll need to be more careful.

Remember that fHP puts you at +3 on block so you have options after that too.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Another thing that can help with getting the just-frame tenko is if you plink not only the kick to punch, but to another punch as well (so qcf-k-lp-mp for example). It's helped me a lot getting the JFT out on normals where you have to delay slightly to normalize the timing, like cr.mk.
I still have to figure out why my success rate is poo poo with tenko, kicks, ex tenko, though.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Klades posted:

Another thing that can help with getting the just-frame tenko is if you plink not only the kick to punch, but to another punch as well (so qcf-k-lp-mp for example). It's helped me a lot getting the JFT out on normals where you have to delay slightly to normalize the timing, like cr.mk.
I still have to figure out why my success rate is poo poo with tenko, kicks, ex tenko, though.

Honestly the best thing to do is not do that combo at all. I see even the best players drop it constantly. For a little less damage, but more stun, combo into EX Orochi and then do HK upkicks after. I think that's a better use of 1 bar for most combos. Main problem is that if you're comboing from c.MK, you have to do JF Tenko into Upkicks since EX Orochi isn't fast enough to hit.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I need someone to talk to me like I'm an idiot and explain how to go from a crouching attack into a left-right charge. I've been sitting in training as Necalli doing (or trying to do) st.MP -> cr.MP xx LP Disc Guidance for way too long and I either a) get blocked on the second MP, b) get an LP at the end, or c) get blocked on the LP Disc Guidance.

vv I've got that, but is there like a trick to the timing, or ... ? I just can't get it down. After all my attempts I've probably got maybe like ... 50% of the time the Disc is blocked, 25% I jab, 25% the second MP is blocked. Succeeded maybe three or four times total.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ellbent posted:

I need someone to talk to me like I'm an idiot and explain how to go from a crouching attack into a left-right charge. I've been sitting in training as Necalli doing (or trying to do) st.MP -> cr.MP xx LP Disc Guidance for way too long and I either a) get blocked on the second MP, b) get an LP at the end, or c) get blocked on the LP Disc Guidance.

hold down back. Down back counts as a back charge.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ellbent posted:

vv I've got that, but is there like a trick to the timing, or ... ? I just can't get it down. After all my attempts I've probably got maybe like ... 50% of the time the Disc is blocked, 25% I jab, 25% the second MP is blocked. Succeeded maybe three or four times total.

You have to cancel it just like any other special move, as in during the attack animation. A good rule of thumb (not always true) for learning timings is looking for when the spark from the hit connecting as the time to input the next attack in the combo. Like for Jab Jab, you input the second jab when you see the hit effect from the first jab. So the time you have to input f+lp is around the duration of the spark from the c.mp.

I just went into training to test that exact combo so Im not full of poo poo. The sparks from the c.mp tells you the exact timing for the cancel (not s.mp,c.mp, that part is not a cancel.) s.mp,(hold down back) c.mp, f+lp the second the c.mp hits. You start charging down+back as soon has you press mp, then hit mp again for an automatic c.mp.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 8, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game still poo poo?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

ellbent posted:

I know this isnt particularily helpful but it sounds like you're just not consistently timing your links/cancels. If the 2nd mp isn't hitting you're missing the link. If the jab comes out or you are having disc blocked you are probably trying to cancel the second mp way too late.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

This game still poo poo?

Yes.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Goodpart posted:

There's no one solution and you have to make an educated guess 100% of the time

The best you can do is hide your movements somewhat and keep the opponent guessing. Best way to do this is using her target combo. Personally I wouldn't recommend using her fHP straight away as most people will block on wakeup the first time. Instead, do either LK~HCB+LK~MP (or omit the LK if you want to throw them the other way). It's basically an option select that gives you target combo if the LK hits, and a command grab if it whiffs. You get to choose which one.

This works with all her specials so long as there's a MP buffered somewhere in the motion but you're still making a read, so it's not a brainless solution. You could even do blocked LK into command grab, since you're left + afterwards. Most of her close pressure outside of fHP stems from her stLK so use it liberally.

Once you've gotten them scared of your command grabs they'll be inclined to mash or jump out. Take this on a character by character basis. If you're up against Laura, for instance, you can pressure her for free with fHP so long as she doesn't have super, whereas Ryu you'll need to be more careful.

Remember that fHP puts you at +3 on block so you have options after that too.

Well, I wasn't really asking for brainless solutions which is why I asked for tips, but thanks for your help

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DoubleDonut posted:

Well, I wasn't really asking for brainless solutions which is why I asked for tips, but thanks for your help

All the good poo poo he wrote and you focus on that one line lmao

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Thanks for the tips. Think I'll step away for a bit and try again fresh later.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

All the good poo poo he wrote and you focus on that one line lmao

I don't think it's necessary to continually remind people that they actually need to be conscious lmao

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Well, in a lot if games you might have an ideal brainless solution, removing some risk in favour of no risk. You people in this thread can't even handle implied (but not really) criticism, it's loving ridiculous.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think it's necessary to continually remind people that they actually need to be conscious lmao

you would be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

ellbent posted:

Thanks for the tips. Think I'll step away for a bit and try again fresh later.

If you are close enough try starting the combo with st.mk because it has a 5 frame startup and is +6 on hit vs st.mp's 6 frame startup and +5 on hit. The extra frame on hit should make connecting the cr.mp easier.