Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Yes...Yes...That's the stuff. Watching a hate monster eat itself is just so goddamn satisfying.

On a more serious note, I'd like to think that sort of thing would change her views a little, but given that she's back to pandering to her rear end in a top hat fanbase, she just put a little concealer on the bruises and went back to work.

Again, I feel nothing but pity for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks to be a movie about a father and his parolee son. Doesn't explain the very obvious boner that the image implies.

Are you sure? It looks like a nice romance with a twist "you died in a car accident and are now in hell because you caught the :gay:" in the end

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Sending an e-mail to savagesuisie as further evidence that the homosexual agenda corrupts everything it touches, including a movie about manly men who spend all day piledriving posts into deep holes.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is there an Old One representing All-Consuming Rage? You could make a Lovecraftian story where cultists spread these rightwing memes to generate rage for the rage god.

That sounds like it'd be up Nyarlathotep's alley, although he'd be more concerned with the chaos and destruction the rage results in rather than the rage itself.

Come to think of it, there is a black guy who makes a whole lot of people violently angry...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is there an Old One representing All-Consuming Rage? You could make a Lovecraftian story where cultists spread these rightwing memes to generate rage for the rage god.

Isn't that the Onion's very own Shrieking White Hot Sphere of Pure Rage?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fulchrum posted:

He's an anti religious zealot. You may as well ask why Mel Gibson talks about Jews if he doesn't profit from it.

That's not the point. A lot of atheists, Maher included, look down on all religions but are particularly harsh towards Islam. It seems like a mix of standard anti-religion sentiments with xenophobia and racism.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If anyone really cares, the only new thing on LL 101 these days is insisting over and over that they hate the GOP elite AND Trump, the latter of whom is all the fail of mean ol' Democrats.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Fulchrum posted:

If anyone really cares, the only new thing on LL 101 these days is insisting over and over that they hate the GOP elite AND Trump, the latter of whom is all the fail of mean ol' Democrats.

It's been a while since I saw any LL101, and I may be confusing them with EPORW, but weren't they supportive of Trump? What caused them to turn?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kumaton posted:

It's been a while since I saw any LL101, and I may be confusing them with EPORW, but weren't they supportive of Trump? What caused them to turn?

LL101 was always anti-Trump, but I don't blame anyone for mixing up these sites.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kumaton posted:

Nah, they always hated him. They have had their lips pressed firmly to Cruz's rear end for the entire race.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Jurgan posted:

LL101 was always anti-Drumpf, but I don't blame anyone for mixing up these sites.

Old conservative white men all look the same to me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
People who say exactly the same things Trump says but for some reason hate Trump confuse me, like Matt Walsh and Mike Lester, or LL101. I guess maybe they have a more libertarian bent to them? Because Freep kissed Cruz's rear end up until Trump started running, at which point they always hated Cruz and Trump was their man, but they seem to have a more authoritarian bent to them, so maybe that's the difference.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
EPORW is anti establishment in that they are very against career politicians. Say what you will about trump but he ain't one of those

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They're not mad about the racism, they're mad that someone is race-baiting to support an economic agenda that's not 110% dedicated to grinding up their voters to feed the ultrarich.

Oh and Walsh is worried Trump isn't truly Jesusy in his heart and won't install the theocracy Walsh wants.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Walsh is also bitter since he's realized most of his God buddies are more interested in loving over minorities than kissing religious rear end. He's down with that too but wants it done by a religious lunatic.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Walsh is also bitter since he's realized most of his God buddies are more interested in loving over minorities than kissing religious rear end. He's down with that too but wants it done by a religious lunatic.

The only moral loving over the poor is my moral loving over the poor.

Reminds me of some stupid Dean Koontz novel I read as a kid, where three guys figured out how to mass-hypnotize a secluded town. One of them did it because he wanted this to become a supersoldier program. Another did it so he could gently caress any woman he wanted. And the last guy did it because he wanted to see this program expand over all the US so every single person would love Jesus. The fact they were all brainwashed into literally killing their own children (to prove the first guy's point) meant nothing. They would love the Lord!

I wonder how many of these guys watch the last season of Game of Thrones and think, well, I'm not washing any feet and not giving to the poor, but the rest of the Sparrows poo poo sounds fun!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

At first I thought my favorite thing about this election was seeing evangelicals fall all over themselves to pull the wool over their own eyes for a greedy, ostentatious, serial wife-swapper who can't name a book of the bible and whose newly-minted theocratic policies are obvious lies...but now my favorite thing is watching the genuine zealots like Walsh wail in anguish as they find out that hatin' Muslims and Mexicans is more important to American Christians than Jeezus.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

At first I thought my favorite thing about this election was seeing evangelicals fall all over themselves to pull the wool over their own eyes for a greedy, ostentatious, serial wife-swapper who can't name a book of the bible and whose newly-minted theocratic policies are obvious lies...but now my favorite thing is watching the genuine zealots like Walsh wail in anguish as they find out that hatin' Muslims and Mexicans is more important to American Christians than Jeezus.

It's the evangelicals realizing they were never, ever actually in charge of anything. They're suddenly being made aware that they've literally been used and pandered to and they hate that.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
No, why did I comment that $15/hr. won't make coffee $13 a cup? Now my notifications are full of the dumbest poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's the evangelicals realizing they were never, ever actually in charge of anything. They're suddenly being made aware that they've literally been used and pandered to and they hate that.

Yeah it's really amazing how easy it was to lift the cover off that hateful poo poo once someone actually tried instead of just pretending they were all acting on good faith and sincerely held beliefs. The rush of anti LGBT bills in the South are probably the result of Republicans desperately trying to remind the Evangelicals that they have a place in the party.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Yeah it's really amazing how easy it was to lift the cover off that hateful poo poo once someone actually tried instead of just pretending they were all acting on good faith and sincerely held beliefs. The rush of anti LGBT bills in the South are probably the result of Republicans desperately trying to remind the Evangelicals that they have a place in the party.

It's hilarious because it isn't helping. The cat's out of the bag at this point and the evangelicals realize that they won't ever be in charge. They were desperately dreaming of an American theocracy but it's becoming increasingly obvious that they just plain won't ever get it. The anti-LGBT bills also aren't able to accomplish all that much seeing as there are federal decisions on LGBT stuff; the religious right is absolutely furious that the SCOTUS was like "gay marriage = OK, gently caress you" and the GOP just kind of shrugged and went "welp, can't win 'em all." A few states are trying to make last gasp efforts on the level of "hey guys we're doing out best" but the bills say things less than "kill all the gays" so the evangelicals hate it all.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

People who say exactly the same things Trump says but for some reason hate Trump confuse me, like Matt Walsh and Mike Lester, or LL101.

For Matt Walsh at least, he's an educated and orthodox Catholic before anything else. He rose to popularity by being young and hip while campaigning for the status quo. He's wrong almost all the time, but that's because he bases his opinions on the flawed principles of Catholic doctrine and tradition. At least you can understand why he holds a certain opinion, while still contesting that it's wrong.

As much as I hate seeing mattwalshblog shared on my Facebook wall, he has earned a bit of grudging respect from me for being so critical of Trump. It would have been easy for him to maintain a neutral posture on the race for the nomination and not alienate the dumbest portion of his readership, but instead he's pointing out how completely inappropriate Donald Trump is as a presidential candidate based on the standards with which he claims to measure himself.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Snowman Crossing posted:

As much as I hate seeing mattwalshblog shared on my Facebook wall, he has earned a bit of grudging respect from me for being so critical of Drumpf.

This is dumb. He's only anti-Drumpf because Drumpf doesn't share his particular brand of crazy, and eating your own has been a favorite pastime of partisans throughout history. I'm sure he's making a principled stand based on his own value system. His value system still isn't worthy of respect no matter how dogged he is in adhering to it.

Also, he posts poo poo on the internet for a living. Giving his opinion on the GOP primary is pretty low stakes unless he endorses Clinton or Sanders.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 7, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I might have respect for Walsh if he were ever Christian, like ever, but last year I had to see a whole bunch of shares (by white gay men, naturally, thanks Texas) of Walsh articles whining that the police aren't putting the boot down on black people hard enough and if only we'd gun them down indiscriminately we wouldn't have to hear their awful protesters make those vicious implications that racism still exists in America.

But instead of doing some self-reflection over the fact that everything he complains about from Trump are policies Walsh totally supports if they're stamped with enough Jesus, he just whinges that Trump=Hitler and then blithely argues for Trump's exact policies but with a Jesus wrapper.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I think what REALLY gets to Walsh is that it's Trump of all people that is saying that we need to prosecute women who had abortions while the "Christian" Republicans in national leadership positions tried to distance themselves from the idea.

I bet being one of his daughters is quite the experience.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Radish posted:

Honestly I think what REALLY gets to Walsh is that it's Trump of all people that is saying that we need to prosecute women who had abortions while the "Christian" Republicans in national leadership positions tried to distance themselves from the idea.

I bet being one of his daughters is quite the experience.

It's this exactly. Trump went on TV and laid bare the obvious logical conclusion of all pro-life ideology and Republicans sprinted over one another to deny that they'd ever want women prosecuted, as if repealing Roe v. Wade wouldn't result in tens of thousands of criminal cases a year brought against women. And people like Walsh just can't stand that they're having to publicly denounce something they all want.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

ultimateforce posted:

No, why did I comment that $15/hr. won't make coffee $13 a cup? Now my notifications are full of the dumbest poo poo.

For thread content?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So Bomani Jones went on ESPN wearing a shirt that parodied the Cleveland Indians' mascot, with "Caucasians" in the same font and a white guy drawn in the same style as Chief Wahoo with a dollar sign instead of a feather.

Most people are praising him for it as it's a good way to highlight the hypocrisy of a lot of sports fans who were angry about the shirt. On Facebook most of the posts I saw about it were either supportive of what he was trying to do, or at least weren't hypocrites. There were quite a few "I'm not really offended by this, I don't think the Indians' mascot is racist but this shirt is still really funny" and the like. I did see a handful of people trying to compare it to Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics, but not too many. This was by far the hottest take though, submitted for your enjoyment.

quote:

Racist gently caress. Want to know the difference. The indians isnt deliberately being racist. There isnt really any loving thing racist about it. They arent saying anything wrong about them they arent saying anything like all indians are the same. Thats their team name and mascot. Period. You dont see Norwegians and poo poo being pissed at the loving vikings.

Good job using racism to try and fight something that really isnt racist. If there was a team named Caucasians for years and years nobody would give a poo poo. Why? Because they dont say poo poo about white people just like the indians doesnt say anything wrong about indians.

.this shirt is basically saying all white people are racist but completely ignores the fact that other races also dont give a poo poo about the team name.but you know its only racist when a white person does something.

gently caress off

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

For Matt Walsh at least, he's an educated and orthodox Catholic before anything else. He rose to popularity by being young and hip while campaigning for the status quo. He's wrong almost all the time, but that's because he bases his opinions on the flawed principles of Catholic doctrine and tradition. At least you can understand why he holds a certain opinion, while still contesting that it's wrong.

When did US Catholics start caring about social issues through the narrow lens of sexual morality and stop giving a poo poo about poverty and other social justice issues? I mean if you look at Pope Francis and things like the Catholic Worker movement you'd think most of the church would lean left except on a few social issues. But it seems like most Catholics just fixate on abortion and they've sided with Republicans so long they've been brainwashed into worshipping at the alter of Reagan.

Have Evangelical Protestants had a disproportionate influence Catholics in the US?

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 9, 2016

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

When did US Catholics start caring about social issues through the narrow lens of sexual morality and stop giving a poo poo about poverty and other social justice issues? I mean if you look at Pope Francis and things like the Catholic Worker movement you'd think most of the church would lean left except on a few social issues. But it seems like most Catholics just fixate on abortion and they've sided with Republicans so long they've been brainwashed into worshipping at the alter of Reagan.

From my limited sample size of close acquaintances, I would say Roe V. Wade was leveraged very effectively by the Republican party and has caused Catholics to weigh "life issues" far ahead of the social justice issues that used to cause them to vote Democrat in the time of, say, Kennedy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Snowman Crossing posted:

From my limited sample size of close acquaintances, I would say Roe V. Wade was leveraged very effectively by the Republican party and has caused Catholics to weigh "life issues" far ahead of the social justice issues that used to cause them to vote Democrat in the time of, say, Kennedy.

I don't think that is really true. Catholic heavy areas like Boston still lean D really heavily. Suburban FYGM NIMBYism coupled with a veneer of moral righteousness was enough to make that Catholic demographic go Republican in the Reagan "moral majority" coalition.

Catholics also tend to be from newly white groups like Italians, Irish and Polish so they double down on racism to prove how white they are. :ssh:

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

That's fair, my sample is limited to a collection of Catholics in areas of Michigan and Ohio. My older relatives, like my mother, would say they always used to vote Democratic up until about Reagan, and when I asked why it was always all about abortion and continuing moral degradation among the Dems. But that was coincidentally around the time they were settling down and having kids in middle class suburban communities that were basically all white. Your explanation is certainly plausible.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

So Bomani Jones went on ESPN wearing a shirt that parodied the Cleveland Indians' mascot, with "Caucasians" in the same font and a white guy drawn in the same style as Chief Wahoo with a dollar sign instead of a feather.

Most people are praising him for it as it's a good way to highlight the hypocrisy of a lot of sports fans who were angry about the shirt. On Facebook most of the posts I saw about it were either supportive of what he was trying to do, or at least weren't hypocrites. There were quite a few "I'm not really offended by this, I don't think the Indians' mascot is racist but this shirt is still really funny" and the like. I did see a handful of people trying to compare it to Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics, but not too many. This was by far the hottest take though, submitted for your enjoyment.

Hahahaha, as an indigenous person, I loving LOVE it when white people let me know when I'm allowed to find racist caricatures of my ancestors offensively outdated and wrong. Wait, so by this logic was blackface not racist because it isn't like they were trying to be racist? It was just fun, lighthearted cartoony generalizations about an entire ethnicity, right? No racism here.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are also a lot of Catholics, like Santorum and Donahue (president of the Catholic league) who just really wish they were evangelicals.

Maybe I just went to a really liberal catholic school but one of the messages was if you only vote republicans because they're ostensibly pro-life, don't forget they support the death penalty and that's just as bad, so get off your high horse about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most catholics I know in northeastern US do use birth control and are pro choice so like any group, it's not a monolith.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Free Market being the Hutt Cartel.
If he was real life, he would be Mexican Zeta and you want to build a wall against guys like him.
But hey he's white and he shoots brown people (clones), so good role model.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"I sincerely believe that history isn't real or relevant, and that we shouldn't remember, acknowledge, or take responsibility for anything that didn't occur within our own lifetimes. What? What's a civilization, is that like a government? I think you'll find that the government freed the slaves :smuggo:"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

Free Market being the Hutt Cartel.
If he was real life, he would be Mexican Zeta and you want to build a wall against guys like him.
But hey he's white and he shoots brown people (clones), so good role model.

Clone troopers had been phased out by the time Han was around and prior to that the empire began using multiple different genetic templates as they felt the originals were too susceptible to being manipulated. Only Darth Vader's personal legion, the 501st, were still the Jango Fett clones.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
#StormtrooperLivesMatter