Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

I saw one even bigger than that moving an electric motor that weighed around 30,000lbs (rotor and stator). Some of those are freaky-huge.

These riggers are amazing, you can make incredibly large, heavy objects (like motors, transformers, generators) and they are the people who can move them around, sometimes using fairly simply machines and equipment too. I'm sure if you looked at their DNA going far back enough they were the guys putting together the Pyramids and Stonehenge.

I was reading our forklifts book about how heavy the vehicles are compared to their rated loads. Typical warehouse forklifts look tiny, but they're loving massive in terms of weight because the small sizes necessary to let them maneuver in such cramped spaces eliminates the leverage a longer vehicle with a counterweight at the back would give them. Like a typical industrial forklift (the thing everyone pictures in their head when they hear "forklift") likely weighs over 19,000 pounds but is rated to carry only about 5,000, acting as its own counterweight. Which is also why you sure as hell don't want to end up under one of them if it tips: it may look tiny and fragile, but it'll crush your ribcage without even noticing it's there if you fall out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Clearly we need forklifts with active leverage enhancement.

Suction cups, electromagnets, rocket engines—there are a lot of exciting possibilities in this field.

e: Or a turboprop. Surely nothing can go wrong there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 8, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Counterweight on a movable arm that is computer-controlled to keep balance with the front.

Let's light the OSHA candle at both ends.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

chitoryu12 posted:

I was reading our forklifts book about how heavy the vehicles are compared to their rated loads. Typical warehouse forklifts look tiny, but they're loving massive in terms of weight because the small sizes necessary to let them maneuver in such cramped spaces eliminates the leverage a longer vehicle with a counterweight at the back would give them. Like a typical industrial forklift (the thing everyone pictures in their head when they hear "forklift") likely weighs over 19,000 pounds but is rated to carry only about 5,000, acting as its own counterweight. Which is also why you sure as hell don't want to end up under one of them if it tips: it may look tiny and fragile, but it'll crush your ribcage without even noticing it's there if you fall out.

While I don't know which specific forklift you're talking about, most 5000 lb capacity forklifts weigh between 8-9000 lbs, which is still a lot heavier than I thought before I knew better. A 10k capacity would weigh around 15 000 lbs. Electrics I think are heavier but off the top of my head I don't have anything to back that up.

Rough terrain forklifts, and variable reach forklifts scale up way faster. A 5k variable reach weighs around 10 000 lbs, and a 10k capacity typically weighs over 31 000 lbs. They are impossible to see out of on the right side, and will (possibly :nms:, vehicle gets his by forklift, driver dies, but you can't see any details through the windshield) gently caress you right up if you get hit by one.

Fork height chat: The comments on that video are wrong; in a variable reach forklift you need to keep the forks high enough so that you can see what's going on to your right. Unfortunately that puts them right at chest height, so if you see one driving around, just stay out of its way.

Platystemon posted:

Suction cups, electromagnets, rocket engines—there are a lot of exciting possibilities in this field.

Variable reach forklifts often have front-deploying outriggers for picking up heavy things that are far away. It's OSHA because guys forget to raise them before trying to drive away.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Suction cups, electromagnets, rocket engines and mandatory gopros—there are a lot of exciting possibilities in this field.

ftfy

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip45GkOy9iA&t=73s

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

EKDS5k posted:

While I don't know which specific forklift you're talking about, most 5000 lb capacity forklifts weigh between 8-9000 lbs, which is still a lot heavier than I thought before I knew better. A 10k capacity would weigh around 15 000 lbs. Electrics I think are heavier but off the top of my head I don't have anything to back that up.

Rough terrain forklifts, and variable reach forklifts scale up way faster. A 5k variable reach weighs around 10 000 lbs, and a 10k capacity typically weighs over 31 000 lbs. They are impossible to see out of on the right side, and will (possibly :nms:, vehicle gets his by forklift, driver dies, but you can't see any details through the windshield) gently caress you right up if you get hit by one.

Fork height chat: The comments on that video are wrong; in a variable reach forklift you need to keep the forks high enough so that you can see what's going on to your right. Unfortunately that puts them right at chest height, so if you see one driving around, just stay out of its way.

Variable reach forklifts often have front-deploying outriggers for picking up heavy things that are far away. It's OSHA because guys forget to raise them before trying to drive away.

this is why we try and hoist things (that don't require cranes/boom trucks) with excavators most of the time. plus you don't need a course on lifting loads (yet) to lift with an excavator

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

car in that video should have got truckosaurus rex'd.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

You brood the AC egg for about a week.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

I wonder if they keep statistics on how many people die fixing acs every year

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Newest Assassin's Creed game looking good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/uZ9vfEc.gifv

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"It was like that when I got here."

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I like how like no one moved backwards at all while it's happening and after the crane is all the way vertical one guy starts moving towards the damage.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Soylent Yellow posted:

That's why forklift training courses are 1/5 how to drive the thing and 4/5 for the love of god be careful. They have so much low-gear power that if you're not paying attention you will have impaled anything you hit by the time you notice the collision.

That's also why I got trained (an eternity ago) to always drive the forklift around the warehouse backward, tines in back rather than out front. You'd get written up if you drove a forklift forward.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Look closer See the scoop loader on the right at the end?Look at its bucket, it was trying to hold the cranes stabilizer foot down. They knew they were overextending the crane when they started this lift.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Look closer See the scoop loader on the right at the end?Look at its bucket, it was trying to hold the cranes stabilizer foot down. They knew they were overextending the crane when they started this lift.

On the plus side, it now looks like it gave the last push.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lurking Haro posted:

On the plus side, it now looks like it gave the last push.

Yeah my first thought was, why the gently caress is that bucket loader flipping that crane?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Platystemon posted:

Conspire to violate federal mine safety standards resulting in the death of 29 people? Get a whole year in jail.

What a victory for safety.

Blankenship didn't buy a state legislature and judiciary and several US Congress critters because he wanted to face consequences.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sockington posted:

We had a 39 year old guy die of a heart attack yesterday on-site - a half hour before leaving for the day too :(

They gave him CPR immediately and had an ambulance & Fire Dept. on site within minutes for defib. Left four kids behind.

All the equipment, training, and personnel couldn't bring him back. First death I've seen at work.

A billion years ago I worked at a huge aerospace company at a location where we probably had 10,000 employees. The workforce was largely either over 60 or under 25 (due to the long hiring drought between Skylab and ISS). At least once a year they found some old guy dead in his cube from a heart attack, just some guy who croaked in the evening and who didn't have a wife or anyone curious about him not showing up at home. It was very sad and I decided I was not going to die like that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is also why you sure as hell don't want to end up under one of them if it tips: it may look tiny and fragile, but it'll crush your ribcage without even noticing it's there if you fall out.

As a elementary school child I remember thinking forklifts looked "puny" as you described. Then we were picking up a skip of rocks to build a fountain and I saw one heading for a decently sized rock and was worried for the driver, oh no he's going to bump over that rock! Then the rock was turned to dust without the forklift even slowing down. My 10 year old brain was basically just :stare: and I learned a lot about physics in that split second, and why my dad insisted I stay way the hell away from everything.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

a truly clever way to burn down a house for the in$urance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/NUCPrQH.gifv

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

What in the actual gently caress is going on here?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They were trying the plane treadmill thing and didn't have a treadmill.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mattavist posted:

They were trying the plane treadmill thing and didn't have a treadmill.

How many 5 year olds with a day's training in hand to hand combat were inside it?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36009190

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wasabi the J posted:

What in the actual gently caress is going on here?

That's the main runway of the Robert Mugabe International Airport with its innovative "catch-in-mid-air" landing system.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

quote:

No-one was hurt. Despite the mishap, the plane will still be used for training, Air India said.

:stonk:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

its landing gear was extended, its fine

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

quote:

the crane, mounted on a large road transporter

At least it wasn't a forklift carrying another forklift

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

its landing gear was extended, its fine

Just a rough landing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Going by https://www.google.com/maps/search/air+india/@17.4568164,78.4585446,15.61z , it's not the kind of training where the airplane leaves the ground.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Going by https://www.google.com/maps/search/air+india/@17.4568164,78.4585446,15.61z , it's not the kind of training where the airplane leaves the ground.

It's used for emergency exit training. They cram the airframe with Chinese tourists and the flight staff has to keep them from opening the door for 45 minutes before they can get their Stewart certification. Apparently attrition rates are up there with Navy Seals.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Platystemon posted:

What they really need for forklifts are airframe parachutes.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

I love that woman's expression, what the gently caress was that?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phanatic posted:

Compared to what 9/11 conspirator Mounir El Motassadeq got sentenced to in Germany, that's positively draconian.

Ah yeah, that famous workplace safety disaster 9/11

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ah yeah, that famous workplace safety disaster 9/11

tbf the survivors probably got money from workman's comp for missing work the next day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CannonFodder posted:

Blankenship didn't buy a state legislature and judiciary and several US Congress critters because he wanted to face consequences.

Right you are, Ken.