Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

You couldn't actually use their blood you know. Might as well just grind us all up for fertilizer.

Okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/07/60-minutes-reporter-tara-brown-and-crew-detained-while-filming-story-in-beirut

quote:

Australian TV crew wanted to show kidnapping as 'a good thing': Beirut police
Tara Brown and Nine Network staff from 60 Minutes were working on story about two Australian children taken to Lebanon by their father

An Australian woman who allegedly orchestrated the abduction of her children from their Lebanese father, and an Australian TV crew who police believe were there to film the incident, have been arrested in Beirut.

A British man who was also detained by the Lebanese police is believed to be the captain of a yacht that was moored near Beirut’s Movenpick hotel, preparing to sail away with the children, police sources said.

The detained film crew, including Tara Brown of Nine Network’s 60 Minutes program, were in custody on Thursday and being interrogated by internal security forces investigators.

The children, identified as Lahela al-Amin, six, and her four-year-old brother, Noah, have been returned to the custody of their father, Ali al-Amin, the Lebanese police said.

Lebanese police sources said they believed the Nine Network team had planned to film the kidnapping of the children and their return to the mother, identified in Australian media as Sally Faulkner. The police source told the Guardian officers believed the TV crew was sympathetic to the Australian mother’s cause and had intended to film the kidnapping to publicise the case in Australia.

Earlier on Thursday, Lebanon’s police force said that three armed individuals aboard a silver Hyundai had snatched the two children while they were waiting with their grandmother for their school bus in the neighbourhood of St Therese in the southern suburbs of Beirut.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

lol

i love 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So Channel 9 was willing to fund, endorse and film a kidnapping so GOOD OL AUSSIE MUMS GET THEIR CHILDREN BACK FROM THE LEBS?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Cartoon posted:

You couldn't actually use their blood you know. Might as well just grind us all up for fertilizer.

Need I mention that blood donation is a complex topic with many deep shades of ambiguity completely unsuited to 'agile' redesign?

For instance the reason paid blood donation is illegal?/unlawful? is it gives an incentive for people who are high risk donors to misinform at the point of collection.

I think studies have found this not to be the case, though. In any case, the red cross do a lot of tests even on the volunteer blood - I've had a donation rejected because my white cell count was slightly elevated from a cold I had a week prior to donating, and I wasn't allowed to donate again until I had blood tests done.

edit: Data from the WHO indicates no link between paid donations and lower quality.

http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.28.2.177

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 8, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MaliciousOnion posted:

I think studies have found this not to be the case, though. In any case, the red cross do a lot of tests even on the volunteer blood - I've had a donation rejected because my white cell count was slightly elevated from a cold I had a week prior to donating, and I wasn't allowed to donate again until I had blood tests done.
WHO say otherwise:

http://freakonomics.com/2013/06/05/is-paying-for-blood-a-good-idea-after-all/

But there's so much more to the issue at a public health level:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/05/blood-money-the-twisted-business-of-donating-plasma/362012/

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Anidav posted:

So Channel 9 was willing to fund, endorse and film a kidnapping so GOOD OL AUSSIE MUMS GET THEIR CHILDREN BACK FROM THE LEBS?

shoddy lebanese bricklayers abducted our fat kids for welfare money overseas. ISIL. tonight on a current affarirs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They stopped the boat tho. :haw:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The ITF (International Transport Workers' Federation) recently made this video showing the farce of "border security" and foreign ships on our coast. Ridiculous considering the amount of legal loopholes I have to jump through to acquire an MSIC (Maritime Security Identification Card) just to walk onto a wharf and these foreign seamen have absolutely zero checks done on them as they trade around our coast carrying fuel in and out of our fuel terminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV-ftPOTJU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten has admitted that he will keep some of Malcolm Turnbull’s changes to the national broadband network if Labor is elected to office, as he made his case to voters during his first televised open forum debate.

Shorten fielded questions from voters on a wide variety of subjects during the town hall meeting in the marginal Queensland seat of Petrie. Of the 150 swing voters there, 68% said they would be more likely to vote Labor following Shorten’s address, and only 9% said they would be less likely.

Shorten outlined key Labor policy areas in the Sky News/Courier Mail people’s forum in Brisbane, the first televised event before the 2016 election, though did not make any new policy announcements.

The opposition leader admitted that he would not unpick all of the Coalition’s changes to the NBN, which include the introduction of mixed technologies like copper wire to keep the costs of the project down.

“We won’t rip up everything that [prime minister] Malcolm Turnbull has done,” he said.

He criticised the use of copper networks for the infrastructure project, saying it was “old technology”.

“It’s the equivalent of building one-lane off ramps off the highway,” Shorten said. “We think you can do a much better job with fibre.”

It was revealed in August 2014 that Turnbull, then communications minister would opt for mixed technology over Labor’s fibre to the premises model.

Shorten had a swipe at private insurance companies for jacking up premiums, saying he would lead a “government with guts” that would slow the rate of increases.

But when asked if he would threaten to cut the concessions that private insurers enjoy, or what form his negotiations would take, Shorten was vague on details.

“Let’s put some water in the punchbowl, sober this system up,” he said. “I’m not going to reveal the dark arts in how I negotiate.”

Shorten often swung the conversation back to the traditional Labor heartland issues of health and education.

He pointed to reductions to the bulk-billing incentive for pathology and diagnostic services as proof the government was “bent” against bulk-billing patients for their health needs.

“We are gravely concerned that the Medicare system is under great threat,” Shorten said. “We will fight with our last drop of breath in us to make sure the system is not further undermined.”

He said promoting needs-based funding, as championed in the Gonski funding model, was an “obligation” of the federal government, and on childcare vowed to spend more on the policy area in order to keep downward pressure on childcare fees.

Shorten also promised to offer greater incentives to employers for hiring mature aged jobseekers.

“It’s an old fashioned way of doing it, but it works,” he said of the subsidies.

Speaking after the forum, the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, accused Shorten of being the “most dangerous leader of the Labor party since Gough Whitlam” for being fiscally irresponsible.

“Taxes will be jacked up under Labor...to pay for this reckless spending,” Dutton told Sky News.

He played down Shorten’s performance, saying voters left the town hall happy because the opposition leader would promise and say anything to get elected.

“He’s tipping money out the door,” Dutton said.

But not all voters were happy with Shorten’s performance.

One lamented the “missed funding opportunity” in keeping tax exemptions for religious organisations, while another accused Shorten of presenting a “false dichotomy” in his economic policies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

"They were faster than lighting," Berri, the grandmother, told The Associated Press on Thursday, speaking of the men who took the kids. "One hit me on the head with a pistol butt, knocking me down on the road."

"I held the boy and started screaming 'They are kidnapping the children.' No one helped me," she said, adding the assailants did not look Lebanese. "I was terrified."

The abductors made sure her son was not with them, Berri speculated, speaking at her Beirut apartment. Behind her, a photo of Lahela as a baby stood at the dining table. Earlier, her son had gone to a club he owns near Beirut but four people who had called and made an appointment for a wind-surfing lesson never showed up, she said.

:stare:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2016-04-07/4-australians-detained-in-lebanon-on-kidnapping-suspicion

edit:

quote:

Berri said she is a cousin of Lebanon's powerful Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and the family name is well known.

Lol they're hosed

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 8, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao imagine being kidnapped and forced to live in Australia like some sort of convict.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Lmao imagine being kidnapped and forced to live in Australia like some sort of convict.

Truly a fate worse than death.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Someone buy these kids a forums account so we can warn them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

White mother, brown father?

Come on, who wants to take that bet?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Someone buy these kids a forums account so we can warn them

Just donate them one of your alts

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

White mother, brown father?

Come on, who wants to take that bet?

It is.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Channel 9 is really struggling for ratings huh

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

For the first time in my life I wish I'd seen ACA last night because how the gently caress do they spin this

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

For the first time in my life I wish I'd seen ACA last night because how the gently caress do they spin this

Dodgy Lebanese mums tricking camera crews into stealing their fat kids

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/31/voters-in-marginal-seats-want-more-compassionate-asylum-policy-poll-shows

quote:

In all jurisdictions, the majority of respondents said they would like people who are assessed as refugees to be resettled in Australia.

but remember it's the greens who are out of touch

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

UNION THUGS ASSAULT GRANNY

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten has admitted that he will keep some of Malcolm Turnbull’s changes to the national broadband network if Labor is elected to office, as he made his case to voters during his first televised open forum debate.

Shorten fielded questions from voters on a wide variety of subjects during the town hall meeting in the marginal Queensland seat of Petrie. Of the 150 swing voters there, 68% said they would be more likely to vote Labor following Shorten’s address, and only 9% said they would be less likely.

Shorten outlined key Labor policy areas in the Sky News/Courier Mail people’s forum in Brisbane, the first televised event before the 2016 election, though did not make any new policy announcements.

The opposition leader admitted that he would not unpick all of the Coalition’s changes to the NBN, which include the introduction of mixed technologies like copper wire to keep the costs of the project down.

“We won’t rip up everything that [prime minister] Malcolm Turnbull has done,” he said.

He criticised the use of copper networks for the infrastructure project, saying it was “old technology”.

“It’s the equivalent of building one-lane off ramps off the highway,” Shorten said. “We think you can do a much better job with fibre.”

It was revealed in August 2014 that Turnbull, then communications minister would opt for mixed technology over Labor’s fibre to the premises model.

Shorten had a swipe at private insurance companies for jacking up premiums, saying he would lead a “government with guts” that would slow the rate of increases.

But when asked if he would threaten to cut the concessions that private insurers enjoy, or what form his negotiations would take, Shorten was vague on details.

“Let’s put some water in the punchbowl, sober this system up,” he said. “I’m not going to reveal the dark arts in how I negotiate.”

Shorten often swung the conversation back to the traditional Labor heartland issues of health and education.

He pointed to reductions to the bulk-billing incentive for pathology and diagnostic services as proof the government was “bent” against bulk-billing patients for their health needs.

“We are gravely concerned that the Medicare system is under great threat,” Shorten said. “We will fight with our last drop of breath in us to make sure the system is not further undermined.”

He said promoting needs-based funding, as championed in the Gonski funding model, was an “obligation” of the federal government, and on childcare vowed to spend more on the policy area in order to keep downward pressure on childcare fees.

Shorten also promised to offer greater incentives to employers for hiring mature aged jobseekers.

“It’s an old fashioned way of doing it, but it works,” he said of the subsidies.

Speaking after the forum, the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, accused Shorten of being the “most dangerous leader of the Labor party since Gough Whitlam” for being fiscally irresponsible.

“Taxes will be jacked up under Labor...to pay for this reckless spending,” Dutton told Sky News.

He played down Shorten’s performance, saying voters left the town hall happy because the opposition leader would promise and say anything to get elected.

“He’s tipping money out the door,” Dutton said.

But not all voters were happy with Shorten’s performance.

One lamented the “missed funding opportunity” in keeping tax exemptions for religious organisations, while another accused Shorten of presenting a “false dichotomy” in his economic policies.

Bill shorten is never ever going to be prime minister of Australia

Never

Ever

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We said the same thing about Tone.

Basically using Cartoon 's theory of Goons always bring wrong.

We can predict Bill Shorten will be PM.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

We said the same thing about Tone.

Basically using Cartoon 's theory of Goons always bring wrong.

We can predict Bill Shorten will be PM.

I don't know what threads you were following but the Auspol threads I read had 'Abbotsgunnawin' as a catchphrase.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
It's not legal to have an employment contract below the award wage, is it?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Even if they're trying to employ you as a contractor?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If bill shorten becomes prime minister I will move to Cambodia

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

If bill shorten becomes prime minister I will move to Cambodia

Don't stop I'm almos--

http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/labor-calls-for-royal-commission-into-finance-20160407-go1dnr.html posted:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector scandals and will hold a royal commission into the financial services sector if Labor wins the next election.

At a press conference held in Melbourne on Friday, Mr Shorten, Mr Bowen and the shadow minister for financial services Jim Chalmers confirmed that in the first 100 days of office they would consider carefully the terms of reference for a royal commission.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector ...

Opposition leader Bill Shorten and the shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have taken the lead in the financial services sector scandals and will hold a royal commission into the financial services sector if Labor wins the next election. Photo: Andrew Meares

If the Turnbull government decides to hold a royal commission, Mr Shorten is expected to fully co-operate and provide suggestions.

It follows a string of financial scandals in the past few years, including the CBA financial planning scandal, bank bill swap rate rigging and the CommInsure life insurance scandal, which saw sick and dying people denied claims. Many of these scandals were broken by Fairfax Media.

A key area to be considered in any royal commission is compensation for customers and the treatment of whistleblowers.

Mr Shorten said Labor's support for a royal commission was a decision that was not made lightly.

"Public confidence in the banking and finance industry has taken hit after hit the past few years," Mr Shorten said.

"There are literally tens of thousands of victims if not more. Today I say, enough is enough," he said.

Mr Shorten cited retirees ripped off by planners, small businesses being driven to the wall by banks and the recent news major insurance companies (most notably CommInsure) had worked to ensure terminally ill people with life insurance were denied claims

The royal commission is estimated to cost $53 million by the Parliamentary Budget Office and take two years to complete.

Mr Shorten said both sides of Parliament had constituents who were affected by bad banking.

When asked why Labor had waited years to call for a royal commission into banks Mr Shorten said: "After every financial scandal we have been told this is an isolated incident. But there's only so many isolated incidents you can have before you have a systemic problem."

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said the royal commission would cover banks, superannuation funds, other financial institutions and insurance companies. The royal commission will look at whether illegal and unethical behaviour in the financial services sector was widespread. It will also look at how the duty of care financial institutions have to their customers works and how business structures affect the behaviour of finance sector employees and whether Australian regulators have enough resources.

"We're not announcing the terms of reference today," Mr Bowen said.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tit for tat royal commissions become the new blaming the previous government for budgetary problems, just as predicted.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Auspol went through the 5 stages of Grief during the 2013 election cycle:
Denial - Abbots never going to be PM.
Anger - I hate Rudd for destablising Labor.
Bargaining - I'd accept Turnbull as PM instead.
Depression - Either way, ALP and LNP are racing to the bottom.
Acceptance - Abbotsgonnawin

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

It's not legal to have an employment contract below the award wage, is it?

mate, you are being ripped off. You are doing call centre work right? Your work is being dictated by your employer, equipment provided by them, you bear no financial risk (for slow/missed work), and are paid fortnightly/monthly? Then you are an employee. If they are paying you below award, then it's likely a sham anyway. Don't work for them unless you're desperate for work. In that case, keep a very detailed record of your pay stubs, and employment contract so that you can report them to the Fair Work Commission once you get a better job.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Brisbane mother at the centre of a botched child recovery in Lebanon that led to the detention of a 60 Minutes reporter and crew, has been arrested and her children handed over to her husband.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah they were all arrested on a boat they were going to use to sail to australia. lol

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah they were all arrested on a boat they were going to use to sail to australia. lol

lmao

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Three word phrase accomplished.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
What a clusterfuck.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

tithin posted:

Don't stop I'm almos--

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

"Prime minister bill shorten" is a phrase that will never pass anyone's lips except grizzled labor diehards in the pub post election

"We should have loving know, no one wants prime minister bill shorten"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tokamak posted:

mate, you are being ripped off. You are doing call centre work right? Your work is being dictated by your employer, equipment provided by them, you bear no financial risk (for slow/missed work), and are paid fortnightly/monthly? Then you are an employee. If they are paying you below award, then it's likely a sham anyway. Don't work for them unless you're desperate for work. In that case, keep a very detailed record of your pay stubs, and employment contract so that you can report them to the Fair Work Commission once you get a better job.

Yeah that's all the case, there's a commission based pay structure on top of an (insultingly small) daily base rate but no penalty provision for slow work. I have not yet seen the employment contract but I just requested a copy. There doesn't seem to be any super, which I'm 100% certain is illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Anime Dave does it again

• Locked thread