Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their explanation has been "there are many interpretations of the characters and this is the one we chose".

But that's not really true. Both characters are basically the same until New 52, there's really only the two interpretations and the show clearly isn't New 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I remember Ron Moore swearing up and down that Starbuck was dead, that Sackhoff wasn't coming back to the show, etc etc and welp.

Though I suppose technically he didn't lie about Kara being dead...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

If you had told me at the start of the season that Supergirl would be the best if the DCU shows I'd have laughed my rear end off.

Pretty much this. (Except I'm still enjoying Legends.)

This may be the weirdest anecdote I've heard recently. Amazing.

Re: Laurel, I'll just crosspost what I posted in the TV/IV thread

Longbaugh01 posted:

She either faked her death and the reason will also be inorganic, totally contrived, and pulled completely out of someone's rear end, or what? She faked her death so she could keep being Black Canary? Makes no sense because she could keep being BC without having to fake her death and put her fairly vulnerable father through the pain of losing a daughter again? What?

Either way being complicit in faking her death makes her a monster unless they somehow make it about protecting her father, but that still makes no sense unless they, again, make up some totally inorganic and contrived reason that had no seeds planted.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Longbaugh01 posted:

Pretty much this. (Except I'm still enjoying Legends.)

This may be the weirdest anecdote I've heard recently. Amazing.

Re: Laurel, I'll just crosspost what I posted in the TV/IV thread

The writing on the show has been bad enough for it to be faked. It is pretty dumb if she did fake, but if it were real, then the person who directed that episode or the editor are lacking in a fundamental understanding in film based story telling. You don't go "doctor says she's going to be fine" to "I have to ask you to do something for me" cut to a silent shot of the request, and then cut to her suddenly dying for no explainable reason, unless you are clearly hand holding the audience through the faked death. So her really dying there would just be hilariously incompetent film making. But I guess this show is racing to the bottom lately so who knows!?

Legends would be a better show without Rip Hunter on it. His character is consistently the worse thing about the show, in my opinion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and Guggenheim and Meracle do interviews after basically every episode so that's why I don't think their comments can be taken as absolute confirmation right now. Of course they're not going to come out and say it's a ruse if it is 10 minutes after the episode aired.

They (and Katie Cassidy) can't simply remain quiet either, because that's basically a confirmation too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm still not sure why Malcom helped Dark after Hive put him in charge of the operation where he could have sparred Thea anyway, I was expecting him to lop Dark's head off at the end.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ToastyPotato posted:

The writing on the show has been bad enough for it to be faked. It is pretty dumb if she did fake, but if it were real, then the person who directed that episode or the editor are lacking in a fundamental understanding in film based story telling. You don't go "doctor says she's going to be fine" to "I have to ask you to do something for me" cut to a silent shot of the request, and then cut to her suddenly dying for no explainable reason, unless you are clearly hand holding the audience through the faked death. So her really dying there would just be hilariously incompetent film making. But I guess this show is racing to the bottom lately so who knows!?

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think they might've thought they were being clever by (follow me here) faking out the fakeout. They've had characters fake their death on the show before so they might've been trying to play off of that.

Either way, it's dumb and bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think they might've thought they were being clever by (follow me here) faking out the fakeout. They've had characters fake their death on the show before so they might've been trying to play off of that.

Either way, it's dumb and bad.

The problem is if you do that, you have a whole lot of difficulty closing the door afterwards without the audience still thinking it's part of the trick until you show what was said in the room. I mean look just right here, we're not sure about believing the interviews they're doing because of how heavily fake death cliched that scene was.

Burying a coffin's not good enough, fake deaths have escaped that plenty. You can't have another character confront Oliver, he could just be lying. Even having Oliver react in private where he'd have no reason to put up an act for someone doesn't work, because other shows have done that to mislead the audience.

So if they're actually serious in those interviews that she's dead but we're only seeing that scene next season, they have completely hosed up the last scenes of the episode.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It doesn't really matter, because whichever way it ends up going we lose.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I like how divided people are about this.

So did Ward shoot Laurel or did they just talk?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ward is on another show, so.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's hilarious you have all this same sex romance on something like Shadowhunters and then here comes 700 Club! Like, you'd think that maybe 700 Club might get sick of sharing the channel with that, but who knows.

50 years from now they'll be running omnisex incest cannibal demon-hosting hyperreality shows at 9:30pm eastern, the clock rolls over and bam! There's The 700 Club.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Heathen posted:

I like how divided people are about this.
I don't think anyone's divided at all about how lovely it is. The only thing people are debating is whether it's a fakeout, but the cheap ambiguous nature of the situation is exactly what makes it lovely.

Personally I think the writers literally have not decided if she's dead yet and have no idea what her last words to Oliver were. That's how the CWDC shows have been rolling.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think it's a fake out or lovely. It's the right character to take out. It's the consequences of Quentin surrendering his ideals to try and protect his family. Sacrifice for safety of family has always been a major theme of the show. This time it's not a personal sacrifice in that the protector suffers, it's the person that was being protected who suffers. I'd be disappointed if it were a fake out because I like the way it went down. And I say that as one of the only people that has always liked Laurel since the beginning of the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the problem Arrow has had is that they felt obliged to follow the Green Arrow/Black Canary romance from the comics and started with that in mind (the stuff in season one about how Laurel and Ollie will inevitably get back together, or Ollie and Sara in season two), but didn't anticipate Felicity becoming a popular character and that left them without many ideas about how to deal with either of their Canaries. That's my impression, anyway.

In any case, I believe Katie Cassidy is on the next episode of Flash as Earth-2 Laurel, isn't she?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not the next one, in a few weeks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think anyone's divided at all about how lovely it is. The only thing people are debating is whether it's a fakeout, but the cheap ambiguous nature of the situation is exactly what makes it lovely.

Personally I think the writers literally have not decided if she's dead yet and have no idea what her last words to Oliver were. That's how the CWDC shows have been rolling.

I'm doing this weird thing that I call "waiting for the resolution of the story instead of trying to mind read the writers and assume they just threw up their hands and killed BC for no reason and they have no idea what the resolution is because that's definitely how professional TV works."

I doubt this is the case for us but I went to r/arrow and this is 100% because they think it is an Olicity conspiracy. Shippers man.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Did last night's Legends of Tomorrow deal at all with Laurel's death? My wife hasn't watched this week's Arrow yet but wants to watch Legends of Tomorrow first.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Klungar posted:

Did last night's Legends of Tomorrow deal at all with Laurel's death? My wife hasn't watched this week's Arrow yet but wants to watch Legends of Tomorrow first.

Nope. Sara makes no note of it and we have no reason to believe she is aware it happened.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

I'm doing this weird thing that I call "waiting for the resolution of the story instead of trying to mind read the writers and assume they just threw up their hands and killed BC for no reason and they have no idea what the resolution is because that's definitely how professional TV works."

I doubt this is the case for us but I went to r/arrow and this is 100% because they think it is an Olicity conspiracy. Shippers man.

We have weeks until the next episode, so it is natural to speculate. That the speculations are matched with negativity is due to the fact that the show has proven it can be absolutely moronic in its writing in the past, and this seems like just another one for the pile. Of course the possibility that they might do something decent is there, but it would indeed be pretty weird to ignore everything that has come before in some form of blind optimism for a show that should not be having these kinds of problems.

This week's Legends took place in 2147 or something, so there was no time for a Sara side story when they were dealing with that stuff and the Ray and Snart subplots. Probably in another episode.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 8, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

We have weeks until the next episode, so it is natural to speculate. That the speculations are matched with negativity is due to the fact that the show has proven it can be absolutely moronic in its writing in the past, and this seems like just another one for the pile.

No it's because over the entire season people have been speculating and because what happened wasn't what they predicted or wanted, they are losing their minds over it without waiting for the resolution. Reaction to these shows is hyperbolic and out of all proportion to any actual quality.

The speculation that the writers just killed off a major character for no reason, with no plans for the resolution,is a stupid hot take and completely divorced from the reality of making a TV show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

We have weeks until the next episode, so it is natural to speculate. That the speculations are matched with negativity is due to the fact that the show has proven it can be absolutely moronic in its writing in the past, and this seems like just another one for the pile. Of course the possibility that they might do something decent is there, but it would indeed be pretty weird to ignore everything that has come before in some form of blind optimism for a show that should not be having these kinds of problems.

This week's Legends took place in 2147 or something, so there was no time for a Sara side story when they were dealing with that stuff and the Ray and Snart subplots. Probably in another episode.

It's in the finale I think. Presumably when everyone gets dropped off at home or something.

zoux posted:

The speculation that the writers just killed off a major character for no reason, with no plans for the resolution,is a stupid hot take and completely divorced from the reality of making a TV show.

They did what GoT did with Arya's teacher. Nothing they say or do now will be able to convince people it really happened because of the way they shot it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 8, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

It's in the finale I think. Presumably when everyone gets dropped off at home or something.

They did what GoT did with Arya's teacher. Nothing they say or do now will be able to convince people it really happened because of the way they shot it.

Wait, did they not kill Arya's teacher in GoT? The Bravosi swordsman? I'm like 99% sure they show him get stabbed and the Lannister guardsmen leaving the room afterwards. Part of Arya's whole revenge plot is because he is dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 8, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

No it's because over the entire season people have been speculating and because what happened wasn't what they predicted or wanted, they are losing their minds over it without waiting for the resolution. Reaction to these shows is hyperbolic and out of all proportion to any actual quality.

Pretty sure in this thread we have been specifically talking about the the execution of that death in general, fake or not, generally being bad. Like, it was done really poorly whether or not her death is real.

If it was a fake death, then the scene is bad because of how ludicrously cliched it was, and also, it is bad in general because they have (and continue) to make a big deal out of this "death" for months and they are just pulling another Roy Harper, except Roy's fake death was actually way better. If it was a real character death, then it was shot and edited pretty poorly, using the wrong visual language. It is much better for the story going down the road, but they handled that piss poor, especially given that she was a such a major character on the show.

Next episode is allegedly supposed to be really sad, so I am guessing that is the big send off either way. I don't care if she is really dead or not, since she is leaving the show regardless, apparently, but the dip in quality for Arrow has become impossible to ignore. The poo poo with Diggle's brother was telegraphed as gently caress, every time Merlyn interacts with Team Arrow in some way, it is the dumbest goddamned thing, the flash backs are terrible filler and even the fight choreography has gotten dull and sometimes just plain bad. I really hope they can get things sorted out because I miss looking forward to watching Arrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait, did they not kill Arya's teacher in GoT? The Bravosi swordsman? I'm like 99% sure they show him get stabbed and the Lannister guardsmen leaving the room afterwards. Part of Arya's whole revenge plot is because he is dead.

He's dead, people still refuse to believe it because of the way the scene was done.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

He's dead, people still refuse to believe it because of the way the scene was done.

Weird. I didn't realize there was any ambiguity there. He very clearly gets stabbed and then the guardsmen walk calmly out of the room.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Weird. I didn't realize there was any ambiguity there. He very clearly gets stabbed and then the guardsmen walk calmly out of the room.

He doesn't get stabbed onscreen and you never see a body.

I agree that he's probably dead though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

It's done like that in the books. Thing is, every other named character death is clearly shown in the books, no one dies off page/screen, so if a major character is said to be dead but you didn't see them get killed, then they're not.

I never understood why Felicity became so popular, is it simply because she's hot hacker girl?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He doesn't get stabbed onscreen and you never see a body.

I agree that he's probably dead though.

Guys Jessie didn't shoot Gale, he moved the gun sightly to the left.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I had completely forgotten the dC Rebirth stuff is actually putting Black Canary and Green Arrow back together, so there isn't a mainstream version of them that aren't a thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't see why that matters for the show. Even if they hadn't killed her they were never ever going down that road again. It was fairly obvious. I don't think anyone wanted them to either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I don't see why that matters for the show. Even if they hadn't killed her they were never ever going down that road again. It was fairly obvious. I don't think anyone wanted them to either.

It's the explanation they're using in interviews.

I don't care what they do (although I'd prefer whatever means the least Felicity) because it's a different version of the story anyway, but trying to justify it with what the comics did is dumb.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Berlanti and Guggenheim are pretty inconsistent when it comes to their supposed affinity for the comic book source, and then whatever they loving feel like doing at the time, depending on the time of day.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything they say, there's sort of a track record. And it's a distraction, because at the end of the day, they're probably just not very good writers/showrunners and that matters much more than source material when it comes to this sort of thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PreacherAMC/status/719554600613732352?ref_src=twsrc

Preacher sneak peek.

I guess in my mind Preacher's always been one of those "next year" projects but it's actually coming out next month!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Why is there a Green Lantern on Justice League that looks like a giant penis with hair?

Edit: And his fellow GL friend the giant testicle.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 12, 2016

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Douglas Petrie and Marco Ramirez will be the Defenders showrunners with Drew Goddard as Executive Producer.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26037/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_defenders_finds_its_showrunners

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lomzus posted:

Douglas Petrie and Marco Ramirez will be the Defenders showrunners with Drew Goddard as Executive Producer.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26037/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_defenders_finds_its_showrunners

Cool, they're bringing back Goddard. Not that surprising since the only reason he wasn't involved in Season 2 was scheduling conflicts because it wasn't expected to make a second season so quickly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Cool, they're bringing back Goddard. Not that surprising since the only reason he wasn't involved in Season 2 was scheduling conflicts because it wasn't expected to make a second season so quickly.

I thought he left season 1 really early due to conflict. It might be like Jon Favreau being executive producer on a bunch of Marvel stuff since he directed the first Iron Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he left season 1 really early due to conflict. It might be like Jon Favreau being executive producer on a bunch of Marvel stuff since he directed the first Iron Man.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I remember when they announced the showrunners for season 2 they specifically said the reason it was different was because of scheduling conflicts. When the Netflix stuff was originally announced the plan didn't include second seasons for anything before the Defenders team-up but the huge positive response to Daredevil led to them to announce a second season like a week after it premiered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure Goddard was EP on season 2. Steven DeKnight is who you're thinking of who was who runner of S1 but had to pull out of S2 for scheduling conflicts.