Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

I'd like that too, if only because I had issues with Planescape crashing when entering certain areas

FWIW, the area transition crash bug went away for me when I moved from Win8 to Win10. Could be unrelated in that I think I'm running slightly newer mod versions than I was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

It was scrapped almost just a few months before release, after reviewing enough they realized basically all you were importing was your characters name, since even the appearance wasn't any point in importing.

Meanwhile, Trent Oster is hoping to do an Enhanced Edition of NWN, but last I talked with him about it, he was having licensing issues. He still claims to have a list a mile long of improvements he'd want to make.

Wouldn't an enhanced edition just break all the mods/scenarios/gameworlds people have made for that game, invalidating it entirely? I mean it isn't like most people want to go relive the campaigns for that game and the expansions that badly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Wouldn't an enhanced edition just break all the mods/scenarios/gameworlds people have made for that game, invalidating it entirely? I mean it isn't like most people want to go relive the campaigns for that game and the expansions that badly.

The game is currently unplayable anyways if you have higher then Win7.

The character creator/editor crashes the game half the time, and even when it works you can't see your character.

You have to make a choice early on if you want to leave environmental effects on ( which causes everyone in the game to look like the silver surfer ), or turn them off ( which causes all water in the game to disappear, and for you to crash every once and awhile when it loads zones with water.

Both of these things also break a number of main quest scripts in all three of the main campaigns, making it so you can't actually finish the main campaigns.

And mind you, this is with the patched GoG version, and they've mentioned multiple times when people complain on the forums they have no intention of touching the game further.

Game is busted no matter what. Best case scenario is it gets "Enhanced" in such a way that they fix those issues, but leave the engine untouched enough old mods and whatnot carryover.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

If a ring says "protection from petrification", it should protect me from petrification, not improve my saving throws slightly but not enough to keep me from being likely to end up stoned by basilisks anyway.

i didn't think there was a ring that could do that? just spells and potions. sounds like a wonky mod item if im not mistaken.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Suldanessellar will soon fall beneath the might of Man with Stick :getin:

Rookersh posted:

every once and awhile

Once in a while!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Finally finished SoD, it was good! Gotta echo wondering what was up with that locked door(!?) in the epilogue though, that area was a bit weird overall. The choice of VA, or perhaps rather the VA's directions, for Entar was quite unfortunate, but other than him I thought the VA work overall was quite nice. The story was pretty well-done too. It was a bit funny to have my CN charname with mostly neutral and evil companions be greeted by Jaheira (and maybe if he wasn't dead, Khalid?) who hadn't actually joined my party once throughout either BG1 or ToB be the person waiting with Imoen at the end but I do understand that the opening to BG2 didn't leave much other choice if they were dead set to end SoD on the ambush. Not a huge fan of that decision since my poor PC deserved a little downtime between SoD and SoA to relax a bit, but it's a pretty minor thing. For the main plot, one thing that rankled a bit was disrupting the dark ritual under Dragonspear and finding the scroll detailing Hephernaan's involvement in dark Necromancy, as well as having the ghostly Dragon ask me to discuss it with Caelar. Followed by taking the lift into the castle and interrupted Hephernaan clearly doing shady stuff and his chat with Belhifet clearly mentioning infernal business from what I recall. And at no point during dialogue and confrontations with Caelar afterwards did I have an option to bring it up! After having both of those things happen I was so sure I'd be calling him out and revealing his shadiness in front of her, but no such thing. Given the game actually hands you evidence in the form of this aforementioned scroll it seems kind of weird, but oh well.

When it comes to NPCs, I was a little disappointed that Skie was the only companion with any kind of side-story going on, since I thought the overall set-up of SoD could really have put other non-recruitable companions to work - who couldn't see Kagain joining up as a merc (even for the other side!), or Ajantis renouncing Caelar's blasphemy and fighting her, or Yeslick helping Baldur's Gate in his effort to help those affected by the Cloakwood Mines situation he blamed himself for? Granted they wouldn't be central to the plot like Skie was, but there were plenty of space for them as camp-cameos or minor questgivers or the like. I did like that my party had plenty of interjections and reactions, even if sadly no quests related to them. I wasn't a big fan of Dorn in either BG:EE or SoD, so I'll probably leave him by the wayside if I continue through BG2:EE. Viconia and Edwin had some nice extra characterization, but Safana was sadly very disappointing and by far the least characterized of my party-members despite her being the new 'default' thief and suitable for all party-alignments. Corwin was great and I'm stuck between wishing she got patched into BG2:EE even though I know the work and cost means it's not gonna happen, and recognizing that her story and interactions with the PC was done quite well ending with SoD, and as a loyal Flaming Fist it would be quite tough for her to reasonably have either the time or inclination to run around in Amn and Tethyr with us. Still, I can always dream, right? Especially given the lack of dedicated archers (non-capital A) in BG2 - basically every character I usually set to shooting things are really doing it part-time and usually fire with poo poo THAC0 while conserving spells, and Rangers like Minsc and Valygar are clearly set up as primarily melee characters as are all the Fighters and Paladins. She'd fill a niche dammit! Oh well, I digress

I was happy the game had lots of fun items, even if some of the less populated item slots like gloves and belts had items stronger than most stuff you find in SoA or even ToB. At least the weapons and armor stayed fairly reasonable. Sadly my PC was a dedicated axe-used with Grandmastery and everything so not finding a single +3 Axe in all of SoD meaning I had to rely on Dorn - who got HIS +3 weapon even before SoD the lucky fucker - and my archers +3 arrows to kill the final boss rankled a bit. Overall definitely worth the price, and I didn't think it was a step down in quality from the original games in the ways that matter, even if the far more linear progression wasn't entirely Baldur's Gate-y, for lack of a better term. Had a lot of fun with it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh, it's not an Infinity Engine game but it looks like someone has replaced a lot of the engine code for Temple of Elemental Evil so the more hardcoded bugs have been fixed and with proper widescreen support.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/temple1

Apparently it's recommended you install Co8 and then install Temple+ on top of that and use the Temple+ launcher to run the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There isn't going to be a NWNEE because I doubt they can make it work on modern machines without breaking every single mod that exists, and I doubt anyone wants to go through the work of updating their mod for a new system, and mods are 80 percent of the reason to play.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

The game is currently unplayable anyways if you have higher then Win7.

The character creator/editor crashes the game half the time, and even when it works you can't see your character.

You have to make a choice early on if you want to leave environmental effects on ( which causes everyone in the game to look like the silver surfer ), or turn them off ( which causes all water in the game to disappear, and for you to crash every once and awhile when it loads zones with water.

Both of these things also break a number of main quest scripts in all three of the main campaigns, making it so you can't actually finish the main campaigns.

And mind you, this is with the patched GoG version, and they've mentioned multiple times when people complain on the forums they have no intention of touching the game further.

Game is busted no matter what. Best case scenario is it gets "Enhanced" in such a way that they fix those issues, but leave the engine untouched enough old mods and whatnot carryover.

I can play both nwn 1 and 2 on 64 Windows 8.1 with zero issues with either. These are the GOG versions. How are they unplayable?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, so BG:EE wasn't sitting right with me. So I reinstalled BG:TuTu and Widescreen (which is now completely painless due to EasyTuTu)

Here's a screenshot comparison.

(Look at them full-screen)

Now I'm going to acknowledge straight up that I've got massive rose-coloured glasses for BG. Any slight change is something I'm going to notice and get irrationally lovely about, but BG:EE just doesn't look as good to me. The graphics don't look as sharp in general.

The big thing for me is the sprites. They don't look like they're part of the same environment and seem lower resolution. Plus the animation is really jerky on my system even though their movement is smooth.

I acknowledge 100% that the difference is very slight. Hell I'm expecting half the people here to tell me I'm crazy and that there's no difference at all (although you have to notice the sprites. Hell maybe it's just the sprites which are throwing me off). I just don't understand why it looks different at all?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I was surprised to hear that NWN didn't work for some people earlier. I fired it up to be sure (Windows 10). It could use an EE for a few reasons, controls and UI are my two biggest issues. Here is the UI with my current monitor:

Way too tiny. So I end up playing at a low rez and scaling up. You can actually read the UI but everything else looks shittier.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I can play both nwn 1 and 2 on 64 Windows 8.1 with zero issues with either. These are the GOG versions. How are they unplayable?

Um how? Care to post an exact computer setup? Drivers up to date? Any wrapper based programs lying around that might be getting used by NWN1 mysteriously?

The immediate issues are in order.

- The character creator doesn't display the character model. Sometimes it'll crash with most people assuming it's from the unloaded model.

- As soon as you enter the game, the character will show up, but all NPCs will be the silver surfer. To fix this, you need to turn environmental effects off, which also removes all water from the game. This causes the game to crash sometimes when entering areas with water.

- The framerate can't get above 15-20 frames per second for some people. This isn't an everyone thing though.

- A number of scripts in the Luskan invasion don't trigger, meaning you can't beat the OC. A number of scripts in Act 1/2 of both Shadows/Hordes don't trigger, meaning you can't progress in either module.

Those are the biggest ones that hit seemingly everyone on the GoG forums. I don't know if more show up after that. When was the last time you played? When did you buy the games? Last time I tried playing NWN was shortly after they launched GoG Galaxy, since it looked like it also got patched, and I was hoping they might have finally fixed some of the issues.

e: I'm redownloading NWN, ya'll best not be lying to me. I want to play some NWN now.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ha, I forgot how much IWD likes to poo poo on you with enemies immune to normal weapons early on; finding a Long Sword +1 for my Blackguard just in time for the mummy downstairs in Kresselack's tomb is kind of a big deal after having to blow lots of spells on Shadows and Wights and whatever.

Insurrectionist posted:

Corwin was great and I'm stuck between wishing she got patched into BG2:EE even though I know the work and cost means it's not gonna happen, and recognizing that her story and interactions with the PC was done quite well ending with SoD, and as a loyal Flaming Fist it would be quite tough for her to reasonably have either the time or inclination to run around in Amn and Tethyr with us. Still, I can always dream, right? Especially given the lack of dedicated archers (non-capital A) in BG2 - basically every character I usually set to shooting things are really doing it part-time and usually fire with poo poo THAC0 while conserving spells, and Rangers like Minsc and Valygar are clearly set up as primarily melee characters as are all the Fighters and Paladins. She'd fill a niche dammit! Oh well, I digress
Mazzy is set up as an archer, although I'd assume most people at least switch her over to swords because bows don't really hold up in BG2 unless it's an Archer using them.
Corwin would step on Mazzy's feet in a big way mechanically and characterization-wise.

H13 posted:

Now I'm going to acknowledge straight up that I've got massive rose-coloured glasses for BG. Any slight change is something I'm going to notice and get irrationally lovely about, but BG:EE just doesn't look as good to me. The graphics don't look as sharp in general.

The big thing for me is the sprites. They don't look like they're part of the same environment and seem lower resolution. Plus the animation is really jerky on my system even though their movement is smooth.

I acknowledge 100% that the difference is very slight. Hell I'm expecting half the people here to tell me I'm crazy and that there's no difference at all (although you have to notice the sprites. Hell maybe it's just the sprites which are throwing me off). I just don't understand why it looks different at all?
I've gotten used to the slight blurriness of the EEs. No idea what causes it - widescreen mod never had that issue, but also doesn't allow you to zoom obviously - and by now it just doesn't bother me anymore.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

For the first time I'm thankful for my lovely old Windows 7 laptop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Right, so BG:EE wasn't sitting right with me. So I reinstalled BG:TuTu and Widescreen (which is now completely painless due to EasyTuTu)

Try turning off the "sprite outline" in the graphics options.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Try turning off the "sprite outline" in the graphics options.

That's with it off.

It looks worse with it on. I didn't want to be a HUGE dick about things...

I'm gonna stick with TuTu.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

Um how? Care to post an exact computer setup? Drivers up to date? Any wrapper based programs lying around that might be getting used by NWN1 mysteriously?

The immediate issues are in order.

- The character creator doesn't display the character model. Sometimes it'll crash with most people assuming it's from the unloaded model.

- As soon as you enter the game, the character will show up, but all NPCs will be the silver surfer. To fix this, you need to turn environmental effects off, which also removes all water from the game. This causes the game to crash sometimes when entering areas with water.

- The framerate can't get above 15-20 frames per second for some people. This isn't an everyone thing though.

- A number of scripts in the Luskan invasion don't trigger, meaning you can't beat the OC. A number of scripts in Act 1/2 of both Shadows/Hordes don't trigger, meaning you can't progress in either module.

Those are the biggest ones that hit seemingly everyone on the GoG forums. I don't know if more show up after that. When was the last time you played? When did you buy the games? Last time I tried playing NWN was shortly after they launched GoG Galaxy, since it looked like it also got patched, and I was hoping they might have finally fixed some of the issues.

e: I'm redownloading NWN, ya'll best not be lying to me. I want to play some NWN now.

All my drivers are up to date and kept up to date. No wrappers, nothing. Zero issues. I have an intel I5-3470 clocked at 3.6 GHz, 16 gigs of ram, a gtx 970, and running the game from my 1TB ssd. The only things I can think of that might help are that I have "run as admin" checked under compatibility options, and I do not run this game (or any game) from program files. I have a separete /games folder for all my gaming. I can turn the graphics all the way up and play this game with zero issues. I actually just fired it up today. The last time i truly played was maybe 8 months ago, and I got all the way to the 3rd chapter of the game. Also zero issues with either of the two main expansions. The only thing I don't do is have any custom mods or modules installed, since I only wanted to play the main campaigns. Not sure how helpful this will be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

That's with it off.

It IS a bit blurry. Maybe try using the "alternate renderer" in graphics settings? It looks like the Open GL renderer is applying a bi-linear filter to the game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh, it's not an Infinity Engine game but it looks like someone has replaced a lot of the engine code for Temple of Elemental Evil so the more hardcoded bugs have been fixed and with proper widescreen support.

Apparently it's recommended you install Co8 and then install Temple+ on top of that and use the Temple+ launcher to run the game.

Oh this looks really neat.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I'm almost certain the slight blurriness is a side effect of the zoom feature and how it handles the environment scaling. Perhaps turning on the Zoom Lock option will help?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So when the gently caress do you get an evil party tank in SoD? I'm up to Boeskyr bridge area and don't have one. I heard Kagain isn't even in the game so that blows. Apparently Dorn is but he is no where to be seen. Having no tank has been really sucking so far. Especially since trolls come in packs of like 10 and just get among my caster heavy party and wreck havok. Minsc won't join the party because I am using Edwin. Maybe Corwin can make a tank?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

H13 posted:

That's with it off.

BG fully modded is still far superior to the EEs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rakovsky maybe posted:

What would you consider fully modded, and what mods to consider? I may reinstall a tutu setup or something to compare.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nope forgot Archers can't wear metal armor. My kingdom for a god drat tank.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

So when the gently caress do you get an evil party tank in SoD? I'm up to Boeskyr bridge area and don't have one. I heard Kagain isn't even in the game so that blows. Apparently Dorn is but he is no where to be seen. Having no tank has been really sucking so far. Especially since trolls come in packs of like 10 and just get among my caster heavy party and wreck havok. Minsc won't join the party because I am using Edwin. Maybe Corwin can make a tank?

Dorn is locked up in the bridge camp itself.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

H13 posted:

You seriously have me wondering if my eyesight is going. Maybe its more noticeable in motion?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kavak posted:

Dorn is locked up in the bridge camp itself.

Apparently you get Jaheria on this map and she has iron skins!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently you get Jaheria on this map and she has iron skins!

Well, there you go.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

rakovsky maybe posted:

Unless the mods use TOBEX, they can be applied to the EEs, in general.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

insanityv2 posted:

You seriously have me wondering if my eyesight is going. Maybe its more noticeable in motion?

Make sure you're looking at it in full resolution (IE: Full screen).

It IS slight. I'm not gonna suggest it's a massive change, but it is noticable (to me). The janky animations of the sprites are the dealbreakers for me though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Haha, there's another thing I forgot about, and it's how great the katana descriptions are.

~~honored gaijin~~

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

LowellDND posted:

Oh this looks really neat.

So I installed it, and the launcher asks what level I want to be, whatever. I click okay, and it loads the game at a much bigger resolution, and says 'downloading 1.0.3' in the bottom right. When that finishes, it says 'restart game to complete download'. When I do that, it says 'downloading 1.0.3' again.

Not a huge thing since I still need to beat SoD, but odd.

edit: K, restarted the computer, downloaded TemplePlusSetup104, ran it, and it said it was updated to the newest version.

So I guess just make sure you pull 104 from the website, not 101.

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 8, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Now I actually want to replay ToEE...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So which writer's idea was it that the word "redblooding" was cool and needed to be used by every loving talkable NPC in the realms!? Because it got old really fast.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Words are wind.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

So which writer's idea was it that the word "redblooding" was cool and needed to be used by every loving talkable NPC in the realms!? Because it got old really fast.

The same person who decided the only battle cry the Crusader NPCs get is one dude saying "For the Shining Lady!" over and over and over and over and over again

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kavak posted:

The same person who decided the only battle cry the Crusader NPCs get is one dude saying "For the Shining Lady!" over and over and over and over and over again

"So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead, ha ha ha ha!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Milky Moor posted:

"So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead, ha ha ha ha!"

That actually never got old for me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

chaosapiant posted:

That actually never got old for me.