Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The great Southern Crater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Fisherman's Horizon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Vahalla

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The Promised Land.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

jaclynhyde posted:

I want HD cockatrices

FF14 has them. They actually borrow a lot of assets from FF10-13. They get high textures and models when brought over. Allagan robots are mostly machina taken straight from FF13. I think ff12 borrowed from ff11 too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Unrevisitable location

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Allagan robots are mostly machina taken straight from FF13.

Good old Binding Coil Turn 4, aka The Elevator of Recycled Assets.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cliche Middle School Science Fair Project.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Interesting images have hit the internet. Keep your salt shakers handy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/4drqmp/

It's totally bullshit but I'm hyped on the off chance it's true.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, Lightning Returns picked up hella hardcore now that I've finally caught up with Noel. This was the first boss fight where I felt like I was getting a grip on the battle system; it helps that the libra function tells me when to attack for the staggers. I think I'm finally figuring out how staggering works; it's not about triggering the elemental weaknesses, it's about hitting the enemy at specific times; right after an attack or during a certain phase. That's going to make this a lot better.

I don't know what LIghtning's goal was. If she was trying to talk Noel DOWN, I think going on a long speech about how she's become an unfeeling arbiter of God's justice isn't really the best way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Huh, Lightning Returns picked up hella hardcore now that I've finally caught up with Noel. This was the first boss fight where I felt like I was getting a grip on the battle system; it helps that the libra function tells me when to attack for the staggers. I think I'm finally figuring out how staggering works; it's not about triggering the elemental weaknesses, it's about hitting the enemy at specific times; right after an attack or during a certain phase. That's going to make this a lot better.

I don't know what LIghtning's goal was. If she was trying to talk Noel DOWN, I think going on a long speech about how she's become an unfeeling arbiter of God's justice isn't really the best way.

Pretty sure she was just calling his bluff. As much as Noel wants Yeul and stuff, he's not willing to murder for it, even if he tells himself that he is.

Still say that the flashback about the Noel/Snow/Hope trio trying to save the world would have made for a more interesting game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty sure she was just calling his bluff. As much as Noel wants Yeul and stuff, he's not willing to murder for it, even if he tells himself that he is.

Still say that the flashback about the Noel/Snow/Hope trio trying to save the world would have made for a more interesting game.

Yeah, that's less about talking him down and more of a "You say you're going to kill me, but you know how precious life is and don't have the balls to actually do it. Me? I do not give the slightest poo poo anymore and if you give me a reason to, I will put your rear end down."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If this game is basically me going around and beating all of the previous surviving player characters of FF13 and 13-2 within an inch of their lives, that's enough reason for me to keep playing.

The game sure loves saying "Okay, you did this quest, now come back 12 hours later and continue it!" Well, I guess I should go around and get these sidequest treasures anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sadly, you only can beat up two previous characters. I would have loved to have Fang as a boss because I kinda hate her but nope.

Sazh could have been a cool kind of jokey boss fight with his goofy-rear end FFXIII theme playing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If this game is basically me going around and beating all of the previous surviving player characters of FF13 and 13-2 within an inch of their lives, that's enough reason for me to keep playing.

The game sure loves saying "Okay, you did this quest, now come back 12 hours later and continue it!" Well, I guess I should go around and get these sidequest treasures anyway.

The only sidequest you can gently caress up entirely is the one where fortune-tellers say you should come back the next day. If you don't, you fail the quest.

Otherwise, people will happily wait until the end of time for you to sort their poo poo out so don't worry about it

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

There's also the girl who hangs around one of the train stations in the late afternoon, if you don't find her before day 8 or 9 or something you won't have enough time to finish that quest

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Whats the best version of FF4? Steam would be most convenient, but I do have a 3ds. Or is still SNES?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Steam version is the rebalanced, more challenging DS remake. The best port of the original version is on PSP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My preference is for the DS/Steam version because it's actually challenging.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

psp is best because it doesnt look like garbage, has a bunch of added features and doesn't lock things out behind new game+

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you want a more authentic version, PSP. If you want a challenging run with an upgraded presentation, Steam. Both are good at what they do.

If you do go Steam, either use an Augment guide (if you don't mind spoilers) or cheat in some augments since it's pretty easy to miss specific good ones.

Also, as a "bonus" the PSP version includes the sequel but the story is pretty terrible and really only worth playing if you really like FF4's gameplay.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 8, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'll second PSP because I own it and the graphics are gorgeous. If you do a remake of a SNES game, that's how you do it, that's how you loving do it.

EDIT: Pay little attention to the above poster, if you want to see moon people and the most outrageous retcon I've ever seen in a FF game FF4: The Brady Bunch is amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
fal'Cis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

renaming everyone to have extremely generic names because it makes me laugh to think the big hero who saved the world was John Smith (I think that's actually one character too long if you have a space)

John Smissu...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does the PSP version let you choose your party for the endgame?

That was probably my favorite thing about IV on the GBA. gently caress you Edge, I want someone actually worth a drat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Does the PSP version let you choose your party for the endgame?

That was probably my favorite thing about IV on the GBA. gently caress you Edge, I want someone actually worth a drat.

Yeah

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yes, it does. Source: I just booted up my PSP and checked my save file in the game. Finding Mysidia again was a pain because I forgot how to pull up the world map. You have to go to the Tower of Prayer in Mysidia, more specifically the Crystal Dias above the Crystal Chamber.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Just finished the FFXV demo, and I've got to say:

why did they make Carbuncle's horn so moist

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'll second the DS version being the best version. Gameplay is more important than graphics. DS FF4 takes the ordinary cakewalk gameplay of FF4 and makes it challenging and interesting.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can fail the LR one where you have to be a date for the guy with the dead wife. But you have to not show up like 4 times in a row or something.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Saint Freak posted:

You can fail the LR one where you have to be a date for the guy with the dead wife. But you have to not show up like 4 times in a row or something.

You can also miss the woman ringing the pay phones (guess how I know :(), and on the flipside I did miss the Diviners by an hour and it was fine to return the next day.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So the EULA for FFIX on Steam is up in Japanese with "4/14/2016 implementation" at the bottom. Release date?

http://store.steampowered.com//eula/377840_eula_0

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

OhFunny posted:

So the EULA for FFIX on Steam is up in Japanese with "4/14/2016 implementation" at the bottom. Release date?

You're killing me Steam, YOU'RE KILLING ME!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Distant Worlds tickets for Houston go on sale tomorrow (Friday), just a heads up to anyone who might be interested.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'll second the DS version being the best version. Gameplay is more important than graphics. DS FF4 takes the ordinary cakewalk gameplay of FF4 and makes it challenging and interesting.

Gonna agree with this.

Also the 3D models were quite cute and charming imo and the redone music was solid.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I would love a game to combine the gameplay of DS with the sprites of PSP. That's my ideal FF4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OhFunny posted:

This delay on PC was so long I had time to broke my resolve to wait for PC, buy it on phones, hate it, and grit my teeth to just loving finish it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

This delay on PC was so long I had time to broke my resolve to wait for PC, buy it on phones, hate it, and grit my teeth to just loving finish it.

I just played other fun video games.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Barudak posted:

you could have just emulated it if you were that desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Am I the only one who wants a remake of FFVI, on Vita, in the style of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony?