Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Grem posted:

Your girl gets Mike-O off on the regular, don't worry.

Would you say Mike shows her his.. O face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Get off on Mike-O's account.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Grem posted:

:boom: Fuckin' A.

sidenote: just registered for the fall. 11 credits and working full time is going to be a mother fucker, but I'm going to have to suck it up if I want to finish school on Uncle Sam's dime.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lol if you're not graduating next month.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It's even worse than that. I'm still in (the reserves).

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

:colbert:

Why don't you start taking care of your girl instead of Mike-O, might help that pitcher's elbow problem if you're not the only one paying attention to Lil' Whip.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

:colbert:

Why don't you start taking care of your girl instead of Mike-O, might help that pitcher's elbow problem if you're not the only one paying attention to Lil' Whip.

:drat:

My elbow is healed up now tyvm.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Grem posted:

gently caress

edit: Just got an email from USD and they said they'll have a concrete result for me regarding my application this week. It was kind of a conundrum thanks to my online college not being a brick and mortar school, despite having university status and being legit. Apparently they don't even take JST.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Students of George Washington University online graduate program suing school for fraud, claiming they were only given powerpoints as lectures and professors were unresponsive to questions.

:laffo:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Sounds like GWU is gunning to contract the Army's entire quarterly training needs

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Internship interview #2 went well, they seemed disorganized and loved to chirp about how "busy" they were with constant projects; they've mainly hired intel geeks however, and wanted me to start next week (semester ends in early May) and more or less agree to stay on board after the summer in a part-time capacity. Slightly less pay than offer 1. They "had no idea" I had other offers & seemed surprised that I would dare apply elsewhere. They seem kind of sloppy, or maybe it's because I expect interviews to be uncomfortably awkward and professional. I don't know; it was a weird vibe. I feel bad dodging out on an alumni-referred opportunity like this, but it's not adding up. One more interview Monday morning with a third startup, then I can decide.

I'm looking forward to the third interview; they want me to bring in work for them and present it. (If I don't get an offer, but I see my blog post on their site, I will cherish the chance to make fruitless internet whines and rants)

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so finally in another two weeks I have my meeting with my Voc Rehab rep, and thank god its not in seattle :)

any cool buzzwords or anything I should stuff in this application to make them buy me things?

Yo, CS major on Voc rehab here.
You should have no problem getting pretty much whatever laptop you want, just say you need something that is capable of handling [insert cs buzzwords here] and give them a spec list, and you will pretty much get it. I just sent them a link to the top spec macbook pro, and it was delivered to the voc rehab office for me in like a week. You also get a decent-ish printer/scanner combo, and whatever "required" software.

The $1000 annual book stipend is replaced with you just getting an account at the school bookstore, so there is literally no reason not to get a brand new copy of every textbook you need, then selling it off afterward.

You also will get a list of supplies that you can pick up for each term. I have so many $45 pencils you guys.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ReverendCode posted:

You also will get a list of supplies that you can pick up for each term. I have so many $45 pencils you guys.

Something about this seems unethical.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

at the date posted:

Especially the selling textbooks part. I just lend them out to my classmates or add them to the study room library

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

Don't hold yourself to a higher standard than Haliburton IMO

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't hold yourself to a higher standard than Haliburton IMO

It has to stop somewhere. The same shitbag who crows about scamming the government now because "Halliburton does it" will still be doing it in twenty years when he's working for Halliburton.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My advisor was telling a story about some frat douche who decides for some reason to tell everyone about how badly he handled his frat's finances. He lost his position and was lucky he didn't get expelled.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

It has to stop somewhere. The same shitbag who crows about scamming the government now because "Halliburton does it" will still be doing it in twenty years when he's working for Halliburton.

lol I don't think the grassroots approach to waste fraud & abuse is really the way to go but have at it. I'm not advocating for wholesale scamming, but if the program just establishes an account with the bookstore with no upper limit then that's what the Feds want.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Since when is selling a textbook after you used it unethical? The text book industry is a huge scam anyhow. I don't think this guy was buying them, then turning around and selling them on the VA dime just to profit? That would be hosed up, but it's not even close to the impression that I'm getting from his post.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Since when is selling a textbook after you used it unethical? The text book industry is a huge scam anyhow. I don't think this guy was buying them, then turning around and selling them on the VA dime just to profit? That would be hosed up, but it's not even close to the impression that I'm getting from his post.

That's not the bit I quoted. I have no problem with selling your textbooks after you're done with them.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

That's not the bit I quoted. I have no problem with selling your textbooks after you're done with them.

referring more to spider-baby's post. I don't even know what a $45 pencil is.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

referring more to spider-baby's post. I don't even know what a $45 pencil is.

Similar in principle to a $435 hammer, I imagine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Meh, it depends really. Ethical is largely subjective to a certain point.

I'm definitely selling the poo poo I get that gets used or not needed to students who could use it. As of right now I find off versions of college books cause I don't have the cash to drop on it as I'm still in and doing TA. I doubt I'll need a 45 dollar pencil but f I get free money to get supplies, I'm getting the good loving pens and pencils and not the budget crap.

Truth is, you do that poo poo and it works out? Great! If not, you'll feel it. The Government always gets its money back.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Meh, it depends really. Ethical is largely subjective to a certain point.

lol silly me I guess

Do people really believe this? Like, I can see line between ethical/unethical being "arguable" but at least most people agree that the line (A) exists, and (B) falls somewhere short of bragging about how you got away with bilking VR&E in exactly the same way that corrupt contractors do. Don't mean to get all judgmental or nothin'. I can't get worked up about petty fraud committed by pissants (I don't care one bit about drug tests for welfare recipients, for example). What really gets me is going to the Internet for validation.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 10, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Soulex posted:

gently caress

edit: Just got an email from USD and they said they'll have a concrete result for me regarding my application this week. It was kind of a conundrum thanks to my online college not being a brick and mortar school, despite having university status and being legit. Apparently they don't even take JST.

At one point, I was in the exact same situation as you.

My registrar told me that they don't accept JST as it was not from an accredited college and they don't give credit for TESC/Excelsior as "the coursework is recognized as not sufficiently rigorous."

Ultimately, it was for the best.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

lol silly me I guess

Do people really believe this? Like, I can see line between ethical/unethical being "arguable" but at least most people agree that the line (A) exists, and (B) falls somewhere short of bragging about how you got away with bilking VR&E in exactly the same way that corrupt contractors do. Don't mean to get all judgmental or nothin'. I can't get worked up about petty fraud committed by pissants (I don't care one bit about drug tests for welfare recipients, for example). What really gets me is going to the Internet for validation.

There isn't a well defined ethical code for vet attending school on VOC Rehab that I'm aware of. If the program is designed in such a way that you are able to purchase 45$ pencils without an upper limit then outside of purchasing items strictly for resale it would seem you're OK. There is a pretty distinct difference between purchasing an expensive item to be used for your schooling and overcharging the government for an item that you purchased or manufactured for significantly less than you charged.

What is it that you think is the appropriate course of action in this scenario?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

There isn't a well defined ethical code for vet attending school on VOC Rehab that I'm aware of. If the program is designed in such a way that you are able to purchase 45$ pencils without an upper limit then outside of purchasing items strictly for resale it would seem you're OK. There is a pretty distinct difference between purchasing an expensive item to be used for your schooling and overcharging the government for an item that you purchased or manufactured for significantly less than you charged.

What do you think actually happens when a contractor overcharges the government? It's not just one guy applying a x10 multiplier to a spreadsheet column. In at least one place in the supply chain, there is a gigantic markup, but there's nothing to say that that markup occurs at the very end, at the point where the contractor bills the government. All the way along, there are unscrupulous or apathetic underlings who contribute to loving over everybody else who relies on the system. They either (A) have a huge budget, so they don't care about saving money or (B) know that the end of the supply chain has a huge budget, so they gouge prices.

All it takes is some nosy congressman grubbing for every cent he can redirect to the F-35 program in his home district to point out "hey, look at these $45 pencils! Here's a place where we can save the taxpayer money!" This happens time and time again. Frankly, I don't get it. You arent' selling the (theoretical) overpriced pencil, so you aren't getting rich off VR&E. All you get is a $4 pencil that somebody else overpaid for by 1000%. But you buy it anyway, transferring money from a great program for veterans to whom? Why?

(This is all assuming that the pencils are actually priced at $45, and he isn't pocketing any money, although that would make way more sense.)

You aren't less liable for perpetrating waste and abuse just because you don't personally benefit from it.

e:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What is it that you think is the appropriate course of action in this scenario?

You can get a kickass drafting pencil for $5.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 10, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

What do you think actually happens when a contractor overcharges the government? It's not just one guy applying a x10 multiplier to a spreadsheet column. In at least one place in the supply chain, there is a gigantic markup, but there's nothing to say that that markup occurs at the very end, at the point where the contractor bills the government. All the way along, there are unscrupulous or apathetic underlings who contribute to loving over everybody else who relies on the system. They either (A) have a huge budget, so they don't care about saving money or (B) know that the end of the supply chain has a huge budget, so they gouge prices.

All it takes is some nosy congressman grubbing for every cent he can redirect to the F-35 program in his home district to point out "hey, look at these $45 pencils! Here's a place where we can save the taxpayer money!" This happens time and time again. Frankly, I don't get it. You arent' selling the (theoretical) overpriced pencil, so you aren't getting rich off VR&E. All you get is a $4 pencil that somebody else overpaid for by 1000%. But you buy it anyway, transferring money from a great program for veterans to whom? Why?

(This is all assuming that the pencils are actually priced at $45, and he isn't pocketing any money, although that would make way more sense.)

You aren't less liable for perpetrating waste and abuse just because you don't personally benefit from it.

e:

You can get a kickass drafting pencil for $5.

Those are fair points. Doesn't Voc Rehab involve meeting with a councilor fairly regularly about what you're doing and what you need to meet your employment goals? I would think they would also monitor your purchases that are funded through the program, and would be empowered to limit any sort of extravagant spending that's without purpose. This is conjecture on my part from what I understand of the program but in my opinion anything they approve for your spending is fair game. :shrug:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Those are fair points. Doesn't Voc Rehab involve meeting with a councilor fairly regularly about what you're doing and what you need to meet your employment goals? I would think they would also monitor your purchases that are funded through the program, and would be empowered to limit any sort of extravagant spending that's without purpose. This is conjecture on my part from what I understand of the program but in my opinion anything they approve for your spending is fair game. :shrug:

That's just offloading integrity onto the guy who's supposed to be in charge, which is just so goddamn typical of the military. I hope everybody enjoyed their SHARP briefings, this is how we got them.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

That's just offloading integrity onto the guy who's supposed to be in charge, which is just so goddamn typical of the military. I hope everybody enjoyed their SHARP briefings, this is how we got them.

I offloaded all my integrity when I got discharged.

My point however was that there are various levels of budgetary monitoring and approval specifically to prevent the kind of scenario you dreamed up from occurring.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 10, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

My point however was that there are various levels of budgetary monitoring and approval specifically to prevent the kind of scenario you dreamed up from occurring.

Ah yes, the Todd Akin Theory.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

at the date posted:

Similar in principle to a $435 hammer, I imagine.

I remember when people started getting mad about this and my dad then explained it to me, since he was one of ASPO's liaison's to NASA.

"They had to invent a hammer that wouldn't spark when you hit it against something in an oxygen rich environment 40 miles about the planet, but still was heavy enough to get the job done. Between scientists planning, engineers designing and some guy in Houston actually building it, $500 is a drat bargain"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember when people started getting mad about this and my dad then explained it to me, since he was one of ASPO's liaison's to NASA.

"They had to invent a hammer that wouldn't spark when you hit it against something in an oxygen rich environment 40 miles about the planet, but still was heavy enough to get the job done. Between scientists planning, engineers designing and some guy in Houston actually building it, $500 is a drat bargain"

Your dad was obviously a war profiteer

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
He didn't have INTEGRITY!

HOOAH.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's the saddest mid-life crisis that leads to a man deciding that finding himself involves a community college art history class.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Your dad was obviously a war profiteer

Not back then. Now, for sure, but not then.

These days he's a 3 day a week analyst/consultant for a 3 letter that pulls over $200K/yr

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Less than a month left :pcgaming:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah I finish in may and am coming to the realization that the funbux ride is coming to an end until I start law school in 2017. Time to see what kind of job I can get with this sweet history degree!

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I just got a provisional offer from Drexel College of Medicine for their linkage from the Penn Post-bac. I need a 75th percentile MCAT score to finalize the linkage. Everything on one exam, no pressure or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

:barf: Rough semester.

• Locked thread