Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Bokhari has done more for the NDP party this election than anyone in the NDP party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Count Roland posted:

Its not GMO stuff in particular I'm opposed too, its the practices of large companies with profits in mind. GMOs are a bit unique, because it allows for novel stuff like genes being patented and owned by companies. These are the sorts practices I oppose. (I have a variety of problems with big agriculture and food not related to genetics at all).

^^ also responding to vyelkin

This seems to boil down to two main reasons:

1) Profits
2) Long term food security

I don't believe that corporations have any right to profits. If they don't make money, too bad, its the risk of doing business. People might not make informed decisions? Well of course, this is why we have marketing campaigns. Everyone, including the informed, buy poo poo for dumb reasons like a shiny label or a catchy theme song or a sexy girl. If consumers don't want to buy something that's their choice, however retarded it may be. Plenty of people seem to want this, and if the only downside is a risk to profits, then I'm for it.

If this latest Malthusian catastrophe is indeed coming, then by all means use GMO stuff to prevent it- I'm not opposed to the process. But instead of relying on consumer spending to fund corporate research, lets not have it linked to profits. Research should be openly shared with others around the world, and should be provided by governments and non-profits.

Part of the reason more companies to make genetically engineered crops is that the anti-GE crowd has demanded increasingly stricter and stricter rules and regulations around what is acceptable. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but these demands have effectively priced everyone but the gigantic multinationals out of the market for developing a GE crop. It takes something around $115 million to develop a GE crop and probably around 10 years of applied research and development.

The other point is that the research that lead to the development of GE crops *was* developed by public scientists. Governments have neither the time nor the resources to devote to developing a GE crop when industry will gladly do it. And industry makes money off of the technology in part to recover their investment, and partly because they're in it to make money. This works well for farmers because farmers also want to make money - farmers buy GE seed because growing these seeds has either an intrinsic (kills insects) or side benefit (less time, both equipment and person devoted to managing a herbicide resistant crop).

Consumers also haven't complained much until recently, when we reached the point where we could produce poo poo tons of food because clever corporations managed to combine their GE technology with hybrid technology making high yielding crops that have additional benefits.

These crops are safe to consume and as Vyelkin said above there's no sane policy reason to enforce labeling of "GMO" products. First off, "GMO" is a meaningless term as everything in nature is a GMO. Second, there are also products labeled as "GMO free". Buy those.

Also when you mention using GMO stuff to prevent a catastrophe let's look to Golden Rice to see what anti-GMO activists have done to a potential technology that has been given away by multinationals and developed as a humanitarian product. They spread lies and slander regarding a product that could save millions of children from blindness because of their own twisted agenda. And you're anti corporation? You should be anti anti-GMO activism if you care at all about humanity. William Saletan at Slate wrote an excellent article about the hypocrisy of these activists: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...nd_errors.html.

I saw the inventor of Golden Rice, Ingo Potrykus, speak at a conference a couple years ago. He was so upset by what activists had done to his idea. The technology could have a positive impact on the poorest people, but they now don't even want the technology because of the lies they've been fed. The activists have managed to convince the people that need this stuff the most that it's poison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That sort of thing is exactly why I hate hippies and "environmentalists." We need GMO food and we need nuclear power and these loving useless quarter-wits are standing against both out of sheer willful ignorance.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PT6A posted:

That sort of thing is exactly why I hate hippies and "environmentalists."

Let's not kid ourselves, you hate everyone.

Except Trump, maybe.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
we could just replace pt6a with south park quotes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Lovin my new avatar! The rebuke is a tad bit more subtle than my last one.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

That sort of thing is exactly why I hate hippies and "environmentalists." We need GMO food and we need nuclear power and these loving useless quarter-wits are standing against both out of sheer willful ignorance.

"quarter-wits"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Do you mean literal environmentalists or some fictitious strawman conjured from your oilbrain

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jan posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, you hate everyone.

Except Trump, maybe.

PT6A hates Trump plenty, he yelled at me in one of the canpol threads cause I said Trump would probably be a better president than Hillary because he buys into the whole American Hitler thing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you mean literal environmentalists or some fictitious strawman conjured from your oilbrain

quote:

Green Party MPs will work to:
• Ban experimentation with planting and promotion of new GE crops. This includes a ban on further GE research (except for traditional seed selection and grafting) at Agriculture Canada and a ban on companies such as Monsanto owning patents to GE products developed through joint research with Agriculture Canada;

quote:

The Greens globally have said “no” to nuclear energy because it is neither safe, nor clean, nor economical. Federal climate change policies should encourage the most efficient, effective, and environmentally friendly measures to curb GHG emissions.
Green Party MPs will:
• Work with provinces to phase out existing nuclear power, to stem the buildup of nuclear wastes, and to institute a Canada-wide moratorium on uranium mining and refining;

Man, those are actually nuttier than I remembered. Ending uranium mining is bananas.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/food/understanding-gmo/

quote:

The safety of GMO foods is unproven and a growing body of research connects these foods with health concerns and environmental damage. For this reason, most developed nations have policies requiring mandatory labeling of GMO foods at the very least, and some have issued bans on GMO food production and imports.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doesn't Suzuki have a background in genetics?? How could he possibly buy into that?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Cynically- it could be an image thing? He knows his audience?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

He probably hasn't done any actual work in genetics since well before GE became commercial. There are people with backgrounds in atmospheric science who think climate change is a crock, people in nuclear science who think nuclear power plants should be shut down, and people with medical degrees who think vaccines are bad for you. There will be people in every field who deny some of the tenets of that field due to obstinancy, funding from outside sources, not keeping up on current research, and very rarely because they've come up with a genuinely innovative idea that will change their field. David Suzuki is not the last one

I know Suzuki catches a lot of flak in this thread, but The Nature of Things was loving awesome and along with Quirks and Quarks fueled my love of science as a kid. I think I'll forgive an 80 year old man a few bad opinions considering the good he's done for science and environmentalism in this country.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

He's a skeptic at heart and he's watched untold billions of organisms die from slight changes to their environment. Our ability to create, be science, engineering or even art has always vastly outpreformed our ability to forsee it's outcome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://thebovine.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/the-trouble-with-monsanto-and-gmos-dr-david-suzuki-spells-it-out/

David Suzuki posted:

“Because we aren’t certain about the effects of GMOs, we must consider one of the guiding principles in science, the precautionary principle. Under this principle, if a policy or action could harm human health or the environment, we must not proceed until we know for sure what the impact will be. And it is up to those proposing the action or policy to prove that it is not harmful.”

I’m a geneticist. What bothers me is we have governments that are supposed to be looking out for our health, for the safety of our environment, and they’re acting like cheerleaders for this technology, which… is in its infancy and we have no idea what the technology is going to do.

…At the cutting edge of scientific research, most of our ideas are far from the mark – wrong, in need of revision, or irrelevant. That’s not a derogation of science; it’s the way science advances. We take a set of observations or data, set up a hypothesis that makes sense of them, and then we test the hypothesis. The new insights and techniques we gain from this process are interpreted tentatively and liable to change, so any rush to apply them strikes me as downright dangerous.

You could read a good rebuttal to that logic and a summary of the current evidence at http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/review-10-years-gmo-research-no-significant-dangers/ and make own educated opinion. It will probably be something like "Vaccines work, the planet is warming, gmos are safe, evolution is real and the OLP is corrupt."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Baronjutter posted:

Doesn't Suzuki have a background in genetics?? How could he possibly buy into that?

Even with a background in genetics (perhaps even especially with a background in genetics), I can definitely see how one would be wary of GMOs in general.

Sure, pretty much all genetic improvements that see their way to the public are done in a careful, controlled environment. But statistics being what they are, there's always the faint possibility that you're introducing a gene modification that's beneficial in most respects, but happens to interact with a different gene in such a way that causes it to drift unpredictably and perhaps out of control. That genotype you observed making cabbage more resilient to insects and parasites might turn other species in the same genus into uncontrollable weeds with practically no value, until the Earth is covered in them. It's unlikely to happen, but all it takes is one honest mistake that spirals out of control.

It's a bit like the argument that computer scientists have about AI. For the most part, "AI" is anything but "intelligent" and just dumbly applies an algorithm to some known metrics to try and improve itself. But all it would take is one AI with the right kind of data being told to optimize itself without explicitly trying to preserve human life and civilization... And suddenly you end up with an AI whose directive is to produce red staplers at any cost, including that of releasing advanced nanomachines that convert all organic life into red staplers.

Obviously a highly unlikely and downright comedic outcome, but science pessimists, regardless of domain, remain aware that all it takes is that one exception to the rule that fucks up the entire world for everyone else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The stupid thing is that there's very real discussions that should be had about GMO crops, but almost all of them center on ecology and patent law. Instead we have idiots who somehow convinced themselves that GMO crops are bad for them because reasons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nationalize genes

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
What can you really do in the face of people who are determined to never budge? If they are so dogmatic that facts no longer matter, and they'll just find a new problem for every solution, at what point do you just ignore them and move on? We do that with acquaintances or co-workers in our everyday lives, whenever possible, so why not with anti-science nuts?

Edit: I want to add, after further thought, that one of the other dangers of dogmatic people is that they can poison the well for genuine discussion. Anyone who wants to bring up Monsanto is at risk of being labeled a conspiracy nut, even if there are genuine concerns to be had about the company. Segments of the anti-GMO crowd vilify Monsanto as some shadowy extra-legal organization of New World Order evil elite scientists plotting kill us. That's crazy. But if you want to talk about the company's commercial practices and patent trolling, you get lumped in with the illuminati guys.

I guess my broader point is how do you educate a public that doesn't want to be educated, or worse, has already gone down the conspiracy well?

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 8, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PittTheElder posted:

The stupid thing is that there's very real discussions that should be had about GMO crops, but almost all of them center on ecology and patent law. Instead we have idiots who somehow convinced themselves that GMO crops are bad for them because reasons.

Because random mutations are preferable to genetic modification.

Except in dogs cause we made dogs cuter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My only real concern with GMOs is things like a breed ending up being more dependant on certain nutrients leading to a more rapid degradation of arable land, or maybe something boosts the production of a certain enzyme that we find out after the fact is super lethal to bees or something. We've seen a lot of situations in the past century where new pesticides, materials, medications etc end up being super bad for us after the fact.

Couple this with the fact that even now corporations are fighting tooth and nail to keep stuff we're pretty sure is already killing us in the market, like Round Up, and ya I'm a bit weary of the modern GMO food industry.

It has nothing to do with 'OMG fish DNA in tomatoes!'

Still, I eat the stuff because gently caress it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Good Friday morning to you.

Although Panama’s had no shortage of press this week, we’ll start offshore once again today, but focused on a whole other leak. It turns out two hundred Canadians have been singled out for audits and millions of dollars in taxes and penalties assessed as a result of a leak of confidential offshore tax haven information to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists in 2013, iPolitics has learned. The Canada Revenue Agency says audits of 63 taxpayers have been completed, resulting in $8 million in federal taxes and penalties being levied. It’s not clear how much of that has been collected or if anyone is facing charges. As our Elizabeth Thompson reports, audits are ongoing.

Dozens of world leaders — and their offshore accounts — have found themselves written up in the Panama Papers, including members of China’s Politburo and Iceland’s Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson, who officially stepped down as prime minister on Wednesday. Yesterday, British Prime Minister David Cameron admitted his family had profited from an account his father had set up. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, however, insists he does not have any money in offshore accounts.

In a television message delivered from her kitchen table last night, Premier Rachel Notley said Alberta could no longer support Canada’s economy unless Canada supports Alberta. “That means one thing: building a modern and carefully regulated pipeline.”

The province’s oil and royalty revenues have dropped by nearly 90 per cent to an estimated $1.4 billion in 2016 — and those royalties account for one-fifth of Alberta’s revenues. That shortfall means next week’s budget will include more than a $10 billion deficit. As our Kelsey Johnson reports, Notley has called on the federal government to reverse its decision to exclude Edmonton and surrounding communities from its proposed EI improvements.

During a Facebook town hall event yesterday, Finance Minister Bill Morneau responded to the Parliamentary Budgetary Officer’s criticism of the lack of transparency in their March budget, saying their growth adjustment was “prudent.” On Wednesday, the PBO report said a Liberal move to introduce a risk adjustment that lowered annual forecasts for nominal gross domestic product by $40 billion — was “excessive.” Our Selina Chignall has more.

Meanwhile, NDP leader Tom Mulcair has called on Parliamentary Budget Officer Jean-Denis Frechette to hand over missing five-year costs from the Liberal budget despite claims the information is confidential.

As Mulcair’s party gathers in Edmonton for three days of meetings that will ultimately determine his political fate, there’s no denying he’s a lighting rod for those who feel he’s taken the NDP too close to the centre. With the grassroots itching to go left, his future is uncertain. Party insiders expect things will go down to the wire, with Mulcair scheduled to speak just before 1,500 registered delegates vote. At this point, few are hazarding a guess as to what the outcome will be.

While it’s the NDP licking its election wounds and collecting its thoughts on party direction now, the Green Party is next in line to assess what went wrong with its own strategy. They went into the 2015 election with two seats, gunning for over a dozen more by focusing resources on potentially winnable ridings, and came out the other side with just one. Did the party spread itself too thin? Our Kyle Duggan and BJ Siekierski dig in.

The Conservatives are on the hunt for a new leader and this week saw two candidates throw their hats into the ring. Others are sure to follow, but there are rumblings about just who might be among them. Although it would be much like diving head-first into a woodchipper, Michael Harris asks: “Is Stephen Harper about to rise, Lazarus-like, from the political dead?“

If he does, Conservative MP Deepak Obhrai will likely be less than pleased. The longtime member is blasting his own party for becoming an “elitist and white-only” club. The Huffington Post Canada’s Althia Raj has that story.

This dinner has upset a few stomachs: Conservative MP Michael Cooper, deputy critic for ethics, has written to federal Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson to complain about Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould’s plans to attend a private, $500-a-head reception at a major Toronto law firm last night. As the Citizen’s Ian MacLeod reports, Cooper says the event “could put the minister in a conflict of interest,” and called on the commissioner to take action on political fundraising.

As CBC reports, the firm had at least one registered lobbyist on staff until he de-activated his status on the eve of the controversial event. That would appear to violate Trudeau’s own guidelines under his Open and Accountable Government document.

Here and there:
  • Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay holds a teleconference call to discuss his mission to Paris, where he attended the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Agriculture Ministerial meeting.
  • Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion meets with Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan and Environment Minister Masagos Zulkifli. Through April 9.
  • A funeral is held for former federal Liberal cabinet minister Jean Lapierre, his wife and three of his siblings who were among the seven people who died in a plane crash on March 29. The funeral is also being held for Raymond Lapierre, Lapierre’s father, who died a few days earlier.
  • The Mood Disorders Society of Canada hosts a conference for Canadian educators on mental health. 8:20 a.m., welcome address from Dave Gallson, Mood Disorders Society of Canada.
  • Statistics Canada releases the labour force survey for March.
  • Navdeep Bains, minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, makes an announcement about improving broadband Internet in the Niagara Region and in communities across Canada.
  • Finance Minister Bill Morneau speaks at an event hosted by the Canadian Club of Toronto in partnership with the Empire Club of Canada. He will talk about Federal Budget 2016 and the federal government's plan to grow the economy and support the middle class. He’ll also host a town hall meeting with students at Ryerson University and visit the Filipino Centre Toronto to make an announcement.
  • Eglinton-Lawrence MP Marco Mendicino announces funding for the Multicultural History Society of Ontario.

There could be some turbulence ahead for Ottawa and Quebec in their efforts to help Bombardier — and it’s coming from the White House. As the Globe’s Barrie McKenna reports, “the Obama administration has put the federal and provincial governments on notice that it considers the planned bailout of the Montreal-based company a worrisome barrier to trade.”

In Syria, rebel forces have taken over a town near the Turkish border that had been the main stronghold of Islamic State in the northern Aleppo countryside. Elsewhere in the country, fighting has worsened. Yesterday, ISIS militants abducted more than 300 workers at a cement plant east of Damascus in a brazen assault.

After three years of work, the Pope is expected to drop what some are calling a Papal bombshell with the release of his two Synods on the family. The wide-ranging 200-page document entitled The Joy of Love will make his views on family life, marriage, contraception and bringing up children public. But don’t expect there to be any love in there for homosexual unions.

Still with bombs, this woman let them rain down on Florida governor Rick Scott this week as he put in an appearance at a Starbucks.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • Postmedia's John Ivison recently reported a scuttlebutt that Conservatives might be trying to draft Stephen Harper to run for the CPC leadership again. In other news, the moon just crashed into the Pacific Ocean and Donald Trump's mounting an independent campaign to be Pope.
  • Still, you don't last long in Ottawa media by discounting every lunatic theory, so let's have fun with it. Here's Michael Harris describing how a civil war between the Western Canadian and 'Red Tory' wings of the party would complete the CPC's short arc into irrelevance.
  • [url=http://ipolitics.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=294c506fbf8132b713e48388f&id=04f8bc2990&e=408233c140Tasha Kheiriddin's take on the Trudeau government's new defence policy review[/url]: The Canadian Forces had better brace for many more years of slow to no equipment replacement.
  • And here's Ilona Dougherty arguing that if Trudeau wants a second term in power, he needs to listen to the people who think he's out to lunch — starting with Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall.

Justin Trudeau isn't getting much love from Brazil. Bucking what’s become a bit of a trend, one publication there has made clear it won't be joining in the media's fawn fest. According to the prominent right-leaning magazine Veja, “(Trudeau’s) adorable, but exceedingly ordinary: Everything is wrong with Canada’s Prime Minister – except his looks.” Ouch.

Have yourself a good day.

International

Migrant crisis: Deportations resume from Greece to Turkey (BBC News)
Thailand investigates 16 people on Panama Papers list (Reuters)

National

Quebec MP Maxime Bernier formally launches Conservative leadership bid (The Globe and Mail)
Anti-money laundering watchdog’s secrecy a disservice to Canadian banking industry, advocate says (Toronto Star)

Prairies

Manitoba NDP promise to boost funding for Winnipeg roads if elected (CBC News)
Manitoba Tories pledge to boost home-based child care spots if elected (CBC News)

Alberta

Alberta expects 90 percent plunge in 2017 royalty revenue from 2014 (Reuters)
Rachel Notley, on TV, urges buy-in for pipelines, says Alberta’s fate is Canada’s fate (Ottawa Sun)

British Columbia

Victoria General hospital plans 'had to start at ground zero' (CBC News)
B.C. Liberals support Green Party's proposed responsible pet ownership legislation (CBC News)

North

Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, Yukon gov't work to increase moose population (CBC News)
Yukon Liberals question cost of Whistle Bend extended care facility (CBC News)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Brazil's right wing, not satisfied with taking down their own political elite, has got a hunger for more.

quote:

Ms. Gryzinski, the former executive editor of Veja, calls Mr. Trudeau “the embodiment of vaguely leftist and confusingly well-intentioned liberalist dreams, a handsome guy who shamelessly shows off his physique and preens for photos in yoga poses.”

She seems particularly perturbed by what she views as his soft-on-terrorism stand, which she conflates with his inclusive attitude to Muslim Canadians. He will, she writes, “support any insanity, including terrorism, when committed in the name of the Muslim religion. He frequently visits mosques, dressing in typical outfits from countries such as Pakistan, and praying in the Islamic fashion.” The Islamic State heralded his election, she says, and no wonder.

She delves into the Prime Minister’s personal history, recounting his mother Margaret Trudeau’s youthful adventures at Studio 54 and famous lovers, before saying she “abandoned her children.” As the young bride of the first Prime Minister Trudeau, Margaret “injected new life” into stuffy political circles, she writes, before adding, “Margaret injected other things, too” and chronicling a list of drug use.

The Canadian media come in for their share of scorn in the article – she calls them “sycophantic” and blames them for showing Mr. Trudeau “self-destructive deference.”

Nevertheless, Canada will likely remain the “dream destination” for many would-be immigrants, including Brazilians, she writes.

“Justin Trudeau will find it hard to screw up a country so well organized, if dull.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Someone tell Notley that the best thing for Canada's economy is for Alberta to keep their overpriced oversubsidized extremely ecologically devastating poo poo oil in the ground and do something else.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Canada added 41000 jobs in March

And people say we're killing the economy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
35k full time positions is good news at a glance but I'd live to see What this positions offer in terms of job security duration salary and benefits.

I wouldn't be cheering if it ended up being 35k 6 month no extension no benefits 13$ an hour contract positions.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canada added 41000 jobs in March

And people say we're killing the economy.

Well, not you personally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JVNO posted:

Cynically- it could be an image thing? He knows his audience?

It's either this, or the fact that he's a huge idiot, or maybe a bit of both.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Look, what I do in my free time is none of your business.

Also..... more fuel to dump Tom with

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

PT6A hates Trump plenty, he yelled at me in one of the canpol threads cause I said Trump would probably be a better president than Hillary because he buys into the whole American Hitler thing.

To be fair, at this point I hope he beats Ted Cruz for the R nomination because gently caress Ted Cruz.

But, yeah, I think he'd be a disaster as president.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Well yeah but he was a Liberal back then.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

To be fair, at this point I hope he beats Ted Cruz for the R nomination because gently caress Ted Cruz.

But, yeah, I think he'd be a disaster as president.

Ted Cruz is the worst thing Canada has ever exported. Worse than Bitumen, Nickelback, Celine Dion, Bieber and Avril Lavigne combined.

I'm serious. Trump is a cartoon character but Cruz is horrific in every possible way. His views on women and LGBTQ are positively medieval and whereas Trump said he wanted punishment for women who had abortions, it's a tenant of Cruz's loving faith. He is repugnant in every possible way.

If I was forced to choose between Trump and Cruz I'd take Trump.

If I had to choose between Rob Ford and Cruz, I'd take Ford in a heartbeat.

Seriously. Reagan and Nixon were politically repugnant. Cruz is Batshit Tea Party Crazy personified and would do more damage than both of them.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jan posted:

Sure, pretty much all genetic improvements that see their way to the public are done in a careful, controlled environment. But statistics being what they are, there's always the faint possibility that you're introducing a gene modification that's beneficial in most respects, but happens to interact with a different gene in such a way that causes it to drift unpredictably and perhaps out of control. That genotype you observed making cabbage more resilient to insects and parasites might turn other species in the same genus into uncontrollable weeds with practically no value, until the Earth is covered in them. It's unlikely to happen, but all it takes is one honest mistake that spirals out of control.

Um, what? Nature is in a state of constant competition, if there was a single mutation that caused a plant to "take over the Earth" it would've happened by now. It's not that easy. Yes there are invasive species but an earth conquering superweed isn't going to happen. And keep in mind that human cultivated plants aren't particularly good at surviving without our care in the first place (seeing as how they're designed to maximize edible yield at the expense of basically everything else).

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

MA-Horus posted:

Ted Cruz is the worst thing Canada has ever exported. Worse than Bitumen, Nickelback, Celine Dion, Bieber and Avril Lavigne combined.

I'm serious. Trump is a cartoon character but Cruz is horrific in every possible way. His views on women and LGBTQ are positively medieval and whereas Trump said he wanted punishment for women who had abortions, it's a tenant of Cruz's loving faith. He is repugnant in every possible way.

If I was forced to choose between Trump and Cruz I'd take Trump.

If I had to choose between Rob Ford and Cruz, I'd take Ford in a heartbeat.

Seriously. Reagan and Nixon were politically repugnant. Cruz is Batshit Tea Party Crazy personified and would do more damage than both of them.

Don't forget asbestos.

And yeah, this. "American Taliban" is not hyperbole given his record. A Trump nomination would not be a bad thing with Cruz as the the alternative.

ed: gently caress, what did I just type? We're really down the rabbit hole on this one.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 8, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hexigrammus posted:

Don't forget asbestos.

And yeah, this. "American Taliban" is not hyperbole given his record. A Trump nomination would not be a bad thing with Cruz as the the alternative.

ed: gently caress, what did I just type? We're really down the rabbit hole on this one.

No kidding. Christ, we should lend them Harper.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh.

quote:

Guests paid $500 a ticket to attend the “private reception” with Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould in the Toronto offices of international law firm Torys LLP. Proceeds from the event went to the Liberal Party of Canada.

Wilson-Raybould said appearing at the event with lawyers was not a conflict of interest because she attended as an MP, not in her capacity as the attorney general.

“Like all members of Parliament, we engage members of the public. That involves a fundraising component, that's why I'm here as an MP for Vancouver Granville,” she told CTV News.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/wilson-raybould-attends-liberal-party-fundraiser-at-law-firm-1.2850648

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

EvilJoven posted:

Someone tell Notley that the best thing for Canada's economy is for Alberta to keep their overpriced oversubsidized extremely ecologically devastating poo poo oil in the ground and do something else.

You got some ideas on what she can do in 3 years that won't be political suicide and lead to a landslide election of Wildrose or other Tea Part-lites? I'll bet you she wants to do something else but she has probably come to the realisation at this point that she can't do that because Albertans are fickle and stupid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yikes.
https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/718470941823643648
https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/718469435682648065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aces High posted:

You got some ideas on what she can do in 3 years that won't be political suicide

It might be that the right thing to do as a leader isn't good for her career. Did she campaign on the strength of the premiership as a resume-building exercise?

E: this is the kind of dumb post that deserves to be orphaned at the bottom of a page

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 8, 2016