Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

X-O posted:

The first issue of The Fix was great. I love the way Spencer and Lieber work together.

So good, first comic to make me laugh out loud in a long time. And remember, always bet on jizzmotron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
The Fix feels like a really relevant comic when it comes to the increasingly prevalent discussion that the lack of discipline within the police system leads scumbags to want to sign up to kill people and get away with it. It's also really funny.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Persephone's in hell. And it is glorious.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Not sure where else to ask this but I'm trying to remember the name of an indie comic I read I guess in 2005 or 2006. I read it as a paperback, it was a guy that did a simple, hand-drawn, four-panel comic strip every single day, for like over a year. Some days it'd be crude, some days he'd take more time with it. And they'd all be about his life. I remember he was kind of a punk or former punk, and there was one comic where in it he went and saw the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie and liked it a lot, and his friend didn't, and he was yelling at him. So, the actual comic I guess was from 2001 or so.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

codyclarke posted:

Not sure where else to ask this but I'm trying to remember the name of an indie comic I read I guess in 2005 or 2006. I read it as a paperback, it was a guy that did a simple, hand-drawn, four-panel comic strip every single day, for like over a year. Some days it'd be crude, some days he'd take more time with it. And they'd all be about his life. I remember he was kind of a punk or former punk, and there was one comic where in it he went and saw the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie and liked it a lot, and his friend didn't, and he was yelling at him. So, the actual comic I guess was from 2001 or so.

Sounds like American Elf by James Kolchaka

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Is anyone reading Monstress? I saw issue 4 at a comic shop this weekend, and the art looks great, but Marjorie Liu is hit or miss for me. Thoughts?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dreqqus posted:

Is anyone reading Monstress? I saw issue 4 at a comic shop this weekend, and the art looks great, but Marjorie Liu is hit or miss for me. Thoughts?

i really liked the first one (but have forgotten to get the others)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I am all-in with Monstress and it is one of my favorite comics of the year so far.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Monstress is extremely the poo poo. Completely gorgeous, too, but that pretty much goes without saying.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
nthing that Monstress is really, really cool -- that and Spire are my favorites from 2016 so far. Really cool worldbuilding as well.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Awesome I'll see if I can grab them.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

.Z. posted:

Persephone's in hell. And it is glorious.

I'm getting REALLY scared for Minerva.

Do we think either Baal or Amaterasu are ever going to wise up?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nobby posted:

Do we think either Baal or Amaterasu are ever going to wise up?

Minerva's safe. (I think.)

And I think everyone, especially Baal and Amaterasu, are going to have some serious questions now that they know Laura's back. They aren't entirely stupid, this is just the first open evidence most of them have ever had that contradicts Ananke's info.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 7, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
How far along is Spire? I read the first issue and loved it but somehow forgot it existed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The last couple times Wic Dev popped up in this thread, there were some massive unspoiler texted spoilers. I mean if you think about someone coming in here to ask about random indie comics and read spoilers about characters coming back, that's kinda a lovely thing to find out.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

pugnax posted:

How far along is Spire? I read the first issue and loved it but somehow forgot it existed.

It's an 8 issue mini series iirc, and they're all out except the 8th. It'll probably come out as a trade soon if you want to wait a bit.

I really hope they do more comics etc with these characters/world afterwards, it absolutely has the potential for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you would like to read a book where Teddy Roosevelt is basically Batman and has to put together a team that includes Harry Houdini, Thomas Edison, Annie Oakley, Jack Johnson, and Monk Eastman in order to race to Cuba and stop an Alien Invasion during the Spanish-American War then Rough Riders from Aftershcock Comics is the book for you. First issue came out this week and it was pretty drat good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

If you would like to read a book where Teddy Roosevelt is basically Batman and has to put together a team that includes Harry Houdini, Thomas Edison, Annie Oakley, Jack Johnson, and Monk Eastman in order to race to Cuba and stop an Alien Invasion during the Spanish-American War then Rough Riders from Aftershcock Comics is the book for you. First issue came out this week and it was pretty drat good.

Well I can't really say no to this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since W+D is back it got me thinking: Would you take the W+D deal if you had the choice?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Since W+D is back it got me thinking: Would you take the W+D deal if you had the choice?

36 year old me wouldn't. Invincible idiot 19 year me would have before you could say 1-2-3-4.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

krakagar posted:

36 year old me wouldn't. Invincible idiot 19 year me would have before you could say 1-2-3-4.

I think this is precisely what I love about this book.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

This was good goofy fun. I like this era of history so I'll probably stick with it. And it was only $1.99 at my shop.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Read a couple #1s today

House of Penance is about the construction of the famous Winchester House in California. A pretty straightforward horror comic with some mystery aspects. It didn't particularly grab me and if I was going to read the rest of it, I think it would be in trade since it's only going 6 issues.

I liked Black Road a lot more. It's set in Norway in what I'm guessing is meant to be some Vikings/Dark Ages type period. I liked the art and it was a good #1 in the sense of introducing the setting and making me curious to see what comes next. I'll stick with this one.

My shop got shorted on Xena and I didn't get one :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Well, okay, I guess you sold me.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

How far along is Black Road? I loved both Northlanders and The Massive, so seems like this is something to check out. Then again, Wood sometimes shits the bed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pugnax posted:

How far along is Black Road? I loved both Northlanders and The Massive, so seems like this is something to check out. Then again, Wood sometimes shits the bed.

First issue just dropped today. Also if you didn't know there's a prequel mini to the Massive that's also out now.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Monthly reminder that Monstress is fuckin' great and you should be reading it. Maika is a badass but the little fox is easily my favourite. I will not react well if she gets killed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Monthly reminder that Monstress is fuckin' great and you should be reading it. Maika is a badass but the little fox is easily my favourite. I will not react well if she gets killed.

Remember when there were two lil adorable urchins following Maika around? :unsmigghh:
"I think that's her happy face!"

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Dunbar posted:

House of Penance is about the construction of the famous Winchester House in California. A pretty straightforward horror comic with some mystery aspects. It didn't particularly grab me and if I was going to read the rest of it, I think it would be in trade since it's only going 6 issues.

I like House of Penance for the art the story was confusing but I was interested enough in the subject to stick with it. It feels like this is something that will grow into a cool comic. And I really like that art

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dreqqus posted:

Love it. The first issue is pricey but it's a very long and strong read. I think you'll know absolutely if you are interested in the book or not by the end of issue 1 and that's the most important thing a first issue should accomplish.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/721772129356656640
https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/status/721772202685652992

:sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Any particular reason why? Just curious, don't follow the comic social world at all so I don't know the latest.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current artist's drawing hand got lobbed off and he finally accepted that the comic is cursed.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Not an unknown hazard in this dangerously creative industry.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current artist's drawing hand got lobbed off and he finally accepted that the comic is cursed.

Wait. What? 'Lobbed off'!?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
As much as I really really love the comic, it's probably a good thing. It's kind of seemed like the story has been more about getting Hannah naked than anything else lately.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The writer seems to have a lot of other things going on so maybe he lost interest in the series. As for the artist Tess Fowler was posting about Judge Dredd script she just got that might lead to a new book.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

krakagar posted:

Loeb'd off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sorry if this is old news..

I thought ROM was going to come back in a crossover with Star Trek from IDW but it turns out it's just alternate cover art. But at least we'll get one for Free Comic Book Day (and the new series) according to this.. and in only a month or two!

Interesting that the Dire Wraiths came over with him to IDW, maybe Mantlo will get some coin out of this? Lord knows he needs it.

Kirk looks like he's washing his car while ROM is bringing him the engineering doohickey that he beat Khan over the head with back in Space Seed.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

/\ Someone in the chat thread said the FCBD issue was awful :ohdear:

krakagar posted:

Inside an elevator, she saw a piece of candy on the ground outside and reached just as the doors were closing. Shlunk.