Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

The Brisbane mother at the centre of a botched child recovery in Lebanon that led to the detention of a 60 Minutes reporter and crew, has been arrested and her children handed over to her husband.

Wait didnt they do a thing about bad immigrants in sweden last week or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

katlington posted:

Wait didnt they do a thing about bad immigrants in sweden last week or so?

Yep, and then it came out that they had used the equivalent of ukip as local guides

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

The Brisbane mother at the centre of a botched child recovery in Lebanon that led to the detention of a 60 Minutes reporter and crew, has been arrested and her children handed over to her husband.

Wow

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is there an unspoken rule that it's always a Brisbane person who does things like this?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

Is there an unspoken rule that it's always a Brisbane person who does things like this?

It's a commonly spoken rule actually

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
To quote Auspol before Australia elected Are Tones.

Death is Certain.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

steady on mate, it's not like I got really excited about having a job for the first time in ages or anything.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Yes, much like Florida Man.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

steady on mate, it's not like I got really excited about having a job for the first time in ages or anything.

I wonder if our jobs would be better if we kidnap someone with the assistance of Channel 7.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

I wonder if our jobs would be better if we kidnap someone with the assistance of Channel 7.

we're going to kidnap the president of the united states and make him vandalise the consititution

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We the peopleDude weed lmao.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Kidnap Trump's weave.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHso1e6NY90

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

An update on this. I've read correspondence betweeen the union and the employer and it looks like they are right on the case, specifically mentioning the fiance's mum as well as two other employees who are in the same situation, and insisting that they be instated as permanent. The language is very firm and legalese and indicates to me that they know what they're doing, which makes me happy. Fiance's mum looked through her work e-mails and hasn't found any that discuss permanency at all, as I suspected the promises of permanency were only ever made verbally. She is certain these conversations happened and is willing to sign a stat dec to this effect. She's surrounded by very supportive workmates and has a good case, so hopefully she will come out of this with her job, but either way I am happy that as much as possible is being done.

I appreciate you answering my posts and chasing up on them, they've been some good support, so as a thank you I will donate $50 to any organisation of your choice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2016/Apr-07/346119-lebanon-detains-australian-tv-crew-after-abduction-of-2-children.ashx

Hahahahah

quote:

Earlier reports had said that the mother and her children were at the Australian embassy in Beirut. A security source told The Daily Star that the children were freed by police as a result of contacts between the ISF and the embassy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jesus Christ

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Isn't Labor leaving the existing NBN as-is a good thing, because it means they can focus on getting the rest of the network up and not focus on giving people who already have relatively fast internet, even faster internet? They can always go back and fix up the FttN areas latest I guess.

Endman
May 18, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Isn't Labor leaving the existing NBN as-is a good thing, because it means they can focus on getting the rest of the network up and not focus on giving people who already have relatively fast internet, even faster internet? They can always go back and fix up the FttN areas latest I guess.

Considering that the NBN was always meant to be about bringing rural areas and places where internet is really sub-par up to scratch with what should be expected of a first world country, I think you're right.

Nerds complaining that they're not getting 100mb/s in the loving Melbourne suburbs is insulting and nowhere near the first priority of an infrastructure project like this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Also, the reason for the 'quicker, cheaper' LNP NBN ballooning in costs and becoming basically a non-thing was because they had to renegotiate everything. As much as the LNP NBN is a bad plan it's better than throwing it out, failing to get an entirely new one and being left with nothing.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Cleretic posted:

Also, the reason for the 'quicker, cheaper' LNP NBN ballooning in costs and becoming basically a non-thing was because they had to renegotiate everything. As much as the LNP NBN is a bad plan it's better than throwing it out, failing to get an entirely new one and being left with nothing.

actually its because fttn requires more construction, skilled workers and material than fttp. it's literally worse in every conceivable way

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

MaliciousOnion posted:

As I understand it, FTTP infrastructure would require the destruction/backhauling of all the copper hauled to the node/premises from the exchange, mostly due to the limited space for cabling in the telecom ducting network.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
the internet doesn't vote, otherwise bernie sanders would be president right now

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Brick Dust Otis posted:

actually its because fttn requires more construction, skilled workers and material than fttp. it's literally worse in every conceivable way

Yeah, also that. But renegotiation was also a huge stumbling block, and it's better for Labor to just go 'gently caress it, we'll make your lovely version instead of throwing it out and then it'll be done and we can stop loving around with this'.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, also that. But renegotiation was also a huge stumbling block, and it's better for Labor to just go 'gently caress it, we'll make your lovely version instead of throwing it out and then it'll be done and we can stop loving around with this'.

i hate the FTTN network and im so excited to see how TPG loving bungle integrating HFC into it

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Maurice Newman claims to be head of business council disbanded by Turnbull

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Endman posted:

Considering that the NBN was always meant to be about bringing rural areas and places where internet is really sub-par up to scratch with what should be expected of a first world country, I think you're right.

Nerds complaining that they're not getting 100mb/s in the loving Melbourne suburbs is insulting and nowhere near the first priority of an infrastructure project like this.

Isn't one of the major differences between the Liberal NBN and the original that it completely hosed over rural areas by expanding the number of rural areas that won't be serviced by fibre, but by wireless?

Endman
May 18, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't one of the major differences between the Liberal NBN and the original that it completely hosed over rural areas by expanding the number of rural areas that won't be serviced by fibre, but by wireless?

I think so. My point was that all the whinging you hear about FTTN comes from suburbanites who want fewer milliseconds on their ping for Halo Call of Honour Duty Mans or whatever it is the kids play these days

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
national fraudband network

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
all I know is that my mum can only get satellite, and she can't even download a 3MB file because it times out and cancels. She's supposed to be getting NBN satellite soon so I hope it actually works. Current regional internet is poo poo as it gets.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Endman posted:

I think so. My point was that all the whinging you hear about FTTN comes from suburbanites who want fewer milliseconds on their ping for Halo Call of Honour Duty Mans or whatever it is the kids play these days
And here I was thinking the criticism of the FTTN project was it's going to cost the Commonwealth almost as much as FTTP, while being slower, having more limited growth potential, having higher operating costs, higher end-user setup costs, and less revenue per user.

Unless you're talking about the congestion complaints, which are a combination of lovely ISPs skimping on CVC capacity, the ACCC's braindead 121 POI rule, and the low numbers of customers on the service due to the rollout being so delayed.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 8, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

And here I was thinking the criticism of the FTTN project was it's going to cost the Commonwealth almost as much as FTTP, while being slower, having more limited growth potential, having higher operating costs, higher end-user setup costs, and less revenue per user.

FYI this is a stupid criticism, because over a long enough period of time, the NBN will make the government money.

20 odd million subscribers all paying $30 a month adds up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Many readers will know the feeling of being silently, financially assaulted when parking in the city or at the airport, getting to the boom gate only to find the two-hour threshold has just passed and the fee is a cool $66.

Parking charges are eye-watering, but you may be surprised to hear that car-parking companies toil for paper-thin profit margins.

Mysteriously thin even.

Take Wilson Parking for instance, the company recently embroiled in the Panama Papers imbroglio and whose shareholders include Hong Kong's prominent Kwok brothers. Wilson Security, a subsidiary, also does the guarding at the Nauru and Manus Island detention centres.

On the car parks it manages, Wilson has only averaged a profit of 5 per cent over 14 years. Photo: Joe Castro

In the wake of the Panama Papers, Fairfax Media and University of NSW accounting academic Jeff Knapp looked into Wilson Parking and found that, like its multinational peers, it enjoys billion dollar revenue but alas makes a lamentably small profit, on which it is subsequently taxed.

Running late

The company had failed to comply with the Corporations Act and get its financial statements in on time for the past 18 years and we discovered accounting irregularities in the latest 2015 group financial statements. Wilson Parking has also left incorrect details about its ultimate holding company in ASIC's registers for 12 years. And to top it off, Wilson Security has missing annual financial reports with ASIC.

It is no small irony that Wilson has its security guards stationed at court houses and the Australian Taxation Office.

A financial analysis on over 14 years of records shows the company's income tax paid is around 1.6 per cent of its revenue. In this, it is typical of multinationals, like Pfizer and VW, operating in Australia. Revenue is soaked up by expenses and the resulting profit involves a smidgen of tax compared with the billion-dollar scale of the business. 

High costs

Wilson Parking seems to be burdened by uncannily high costs.

On the car-parks it manages, Wilson has only averaged a profit of 5 per cent over 14 years. For all the business risk, on its published numbers, it would have done better to have its money on term deposit at the bank.

"The profit and income tax paid appears to defy economic reality,' says Jeff Knapp. "Why would any entity conduct a billion dollar business if it can only scrape out a 4 per cent or 5 per cent return before tax?"

The same might be asked of most multinationals. Some rake their profits offshore by financing costs on loans and by royalties to related entities, and most bulk up their costs in Australia, so as to eradicate as much profit as they can because tax is levied not on revenue but on profit. The name of the game is making as little profit as possible in this country. 

"These multinationals are not for-profit entities but for-revenue-and-as-little-profit-as-can-be-entities," says Knapp.

Virgin Island havens

Also, like many of its ilk, Wilson has parent companies in tax havens. There used to be the enigmatic Covert Investments Ltd (incorporated in the British Virgin Islands). Now there is the parent Wilson Parking Holdings Pte Ltd (Singapore), and its ultimate holding companies, Wilson Offshore Group Holdings Limited and Genuine Result Limited, both registered in the British Virgin Islands.

Wilson veritably bristled at the suggestion from these quarters that Australian parking fees might somehow wend their way to the tax sanctuaries of the Caribbean, even threatening to sue should such an imputation be conveyed.

"We can categorically state that none of the income that you refer to has in any way been transferred or has in any way 'made its way' to any BVI and/or related entities or associated entities of any entities whatsoever including all the entities that you refer to," said an emailed response to questions.

One wonders then what the point is of having BVI parentage if not to hide things. In any case, besides the standard Big Four auditor (PwC), the "irregularities" (as Knapp dubs them), the standard large revenue but small profit and tax numbers and the standard piqued cry, "We comply with all our obligations under the law" (no you don't), there is some colourful accounting.

'Managed park revenue'

The most glaring anomaly is the Wilson car parks that are managed for "owners". The parking fees for these managed car parks are referred to as "managed park revenue" but they are not included in the revenue shown in the income statement.  Wilson booked revenue of $928 million for 2015 after excluding $200 million for managed park revenue. 

It is strange these parking fees are described as revenue in the directors' report but they are not revenue in the financial statements. Wilson argues there is a principal/agent relationship in play. The managed revenue is for other entities that are running a car park business; property trusts and so forth. 

Over the 14 year period, Wilson notched up $5.1 billion in revenue, not including the unrecognised "managed park revenue" ($2.3 billion), paid income tax of $83.7 million and booked management fees of $117 million (its other carparks are leased or owned).

Those management fees equate to about 5 per cent of managed park revenue.  In other words, Wilson is happy with $3.30 when you pay $66 at a building owned by a property company.  The management fees seem skinny. Moreover, they have not increased with managed park revenue, contrary to what you would expect for an agency relationship.

As to other irregularities, Jeff Knapp points to the following:

The accounting policy note does not adequately explain why managed parking revenue of $196 million is omitted from the income statement. There is inadequate disclosure of the amount of each significant category of revenue; $626 million is lumped together as "other – security and patrol services and alarm response". Reimbursed costs of $29 million are netted off against expenses instead of being included in revenue.Cash collected for managed parking stations appears to be netted off.Cash held on behalf of third parties, the owners of the managed parking stations, is not disclosed.

"The nature and extent of the irregularities – especially the late and missing accounts – is concerning" said Knapp.

"It is fair to ask whether significant amounts of taxpayer funds should be directed a company that routinely fails to comply with the Corporations Act," he  said.

So Wilson has been exposed in the Panama Papers, it has huge revenue and low taxes in Australia, says it has a multitude of owners that have car park businesses, and it routinely fails to comply with the Corporations Act. 

Sadly for Australian taxpayers, Wilson is not alone. It is merely one player in what is a global "Bottom of the Ocean" scheme where multinationals come to these shores, not to make a profit, but to generate large revenues which are then soaked up in high costs.

"Multinational tax affairs in Australia are dire and toxic," says Knapp. "The sheer scale and audacity of corporate tax avoidance in our country has to be rooted out. Australian-owned companies that do pay a fair share of income tax deserve a fair go. They should not have to compete against multinational corporate blaggards on an uneven tax field."

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
My heart bleeds for poor Wilson.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Royal Commission into banks if Labor elected.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thank you Tony for weaponising royal commissions

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Based...Shorten?!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This loving country.

Listen to the goddamn audio

quote:

The Northern Territory health minister has suggested the furore around Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu’s medical treatment is a publicity stunt for forthcoming albums.

The comments come amid an increasingly hostile public dispute between the Royal Darwin hospital and the singer’s manager and specialist doctor, with the latter releasing medical records in order to back up their claims of racial profiling.

The Yolngu singer was admitted to emergency at the Royal Darwin hospital on Easter Sunday with internal bleeding complications relating to liver disease. It was the second time in less than a month Gurrumul had been admitted for the bleeding but this time his manager and specialist doctor alleged hospital staff left him without the required treatment for hours longer than hospital protocols.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Concern is mounting for an Australian mother and Channel Nine crew detained in Lebanon after a botched child recovery operation.

Lebanese authorities say they have uncorroborated evidence Nine paid for the operation, which saw the children of Australian mother Sally Faulkner snatched off a Beirut street.

It appears to have been an attempt to get the children back to Australia after their Lebanese father, Ali el-Amien, took them to Lebanon last year and refused to let them return.

But four men accused of grabbing the children have been detained along with Ms Faulkner and a four-member crew from Chanel Nine, which was filming a story with her.

Authorities say they now have a signed statement from a member of the "recovery team" who says Nine paid $115,000 for the operation.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Won't somebody please think of the banks :qq:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-09/nab-anz-bosses-say-banking-royal-commission-a-distraction/7313030

quote:

NAB, ANZ bosses say calls for royal commission in banking a 'serious distraction' By political reporter Dan Conifer Updated 9 minutes ago

The bosses of Australia's biggest banks have dismissed the need for a royal commission into the financial sector, after Labor vowed to hold an inquiry if elected. Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said a "string of scandals" proved the two-year, $53 million probe was vital. But National Australia Bank chief executive Andrew Thorburn dubbed the move a "serious distraction", saying there had been about 10 investigations into the sector since the global financial crisis. "However, our democratic processes are paramount, and if the government of the day decides that a royal commission is needed, then it will have our full co-operation," Mr Thorburn said. ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott also said there had been a number of recent inquiries into the industry and a royal commission could damage Australia's standing among global investors. "I understand the politics and that attraction for many people to think that such a commission or investigation is a good idea," Mr Elliott said.

What is a royal commission?

Bill Shorten says an incoming Labor government would hold a royal commission into misconduct in the banking industry. We look at the role of royal commissions and what would likely be involved. "But I feel that we've been through the financial systems inquiry, we have had all sorts of investigations, we have high-quality regulators whose day jobs it is to enforce existing legislation and rules about unethical behaviour and illegal behaviour. "It has the potential to harm Australia's reputation because international investors will be thinking where there is smoke there is fire and what exactly are we investigating here?" A Westpac spokesman said the community had the right to expect high standards from banks and all banking executives, but the bank did not support a royal commission. "Australian banks are well regulated and our regulators are seen as world class," a statement from Westpac said. "[The] announcement sends confusing messages about the strength of Australia's financial system and this could impact confidence in the economy." Westpac said it had just completed the two-year Financial System Inquiry which received almost 7,000 submissions and 44 recommendations were being implemented.

Banking inquiry 'above politics': Labor

The financial and banking sectors have been rocked by controversies in recent years. The Commonwealth Bank's financial planning and insurance arms have been accused of wrongdoing, while the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) dragged ANZ and Westpac to court over alleged inter-bank interest rate rigging — accusations both banks deny. A royal commission is a powerful body with the power to compel witnesses, access commercially sensitive documents and direct police to apply for search warrants. Labor Senators last year voted against a similar commission proposed by the Greens, but opposition financial services spokesman Jim Chalmers denied yesterday's announcement was a political manoeuvre. "This is more fundamental than political game playing or political judgements that some people have made including the Government," Mr Chalmers said. "This is really about one of the most important sectors in the Australian economy, and even more important than that, the way that Australians are treated within that part of the economy. I think it should be above politics."

Labor has called on the Federal Government to call its own royal commission, but that appears highly unlikely.

Federal Treasurer Scott Morrison dismissed Labor's push as playing "complete politics" ahead of the federal election. "For Bill Shorten to go down this path, I think it is a reckless distraction that puts at risk confidence in the banking system," Mr Morrison said. Greens senator Peter Whish-Wilson — a former banker — has long called for a royal commission into the industry. "Most of these scandals have only occurred because of whistleblowers," he said. "A royal commission will no doubt get to the bottom of a number of scandals that I think are still lurking there under the surface," he said.

One thing likely to be trotted out by the 'but business confidence!' crew will be that ASIC already has RC like powers. Well....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-15/budget-2014-funding-cut-to-asic-business-regulation/5453816

quote:

(extract)Budget 2014: ASIC's funding cut in move away from financial sector oversight By Lexi Metherell Updated 29 Apr 2015, 2:50pm

The Federal Government is cutting funding to the corporate watchdog, as it pushes for less regulatory oversight of the financial sector. Over the next five years, $120 million will be pulled from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission's (ASIC) funding. A spokeswoman for Finance Minister Matthias Cormann, the minister responsible for ASIC, says the saving is necessary for the Government to repair the budget. But less than a decade after banks sparked the global financial crisis, the Government is signalling it wants to reduce regulation of the sector. Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer Steven Ciobo told a post-budget breakfast in Sydney on Wednesday morning the Government is in favour of more "self-regulation". "The Government thinks that there is scope for the financial services industry, and for all the other industries, to self-regulate more," Mr Ciobo said. "There will always be (as a general statement of principle) our preference for self-regulation over the need to have a regulator [that is] tax-payer funded intervening in the field."

When asked whether the cuts would reduce ASIC's power as a regulator, the Finance Minister's spokeswoman said "ASIC will continue to be able to perform its statutory objectives". The Government says it will be up to ASIC to decide how it allocates its reduced funding. ASIC is yet to reveal its plans. The Financial Planning Association's Dante De Gori expressed concern that ASIC could raise the prices it charges for services.(gently caress the leaners)
:laugh: You can not make this poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
My hardon for peoples getting their comeuppance over the Panama Papers knows no bounds.

A boundless hardon with wealth to share.

• Locked thread