Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm utterly amazed that anyone who played DQ7 the first time is looking forward to the 3DS version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm utterly amazed that anyone who played DQ7 the first time is looking forward to the 3DS version.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 3DS is said to extremely streamline and better the qualities of life, like Bravely Default 2.0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope so

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Isn't DQ8 coming to 3DS soon? With Morrie and Red playable too. Forget 7 give me the good Dragon Quest game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They fixed the graphics in 7 so I'll probably be playing that. I think they added costumes or something too and I love that poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I tried to get into DQ7 but it was slower paced than even Trails in the Sky and the characters weren't nearly as interesting to balance that. But I'm looking forward to the 3DS remake because apparently everything is all streamlined and the characters have a bit more charm to them now too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah outside of the glacial pacing the biggest problem with DQ7 is its a relic of its time wrt to menus and poo poo.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's like 4x the size/length of any other RPG that was out at the time, too, so if you're looking for a JRPG to really sink your time into DQ7 is great.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Christ, Star Ocean 5.

It had this combat where Anne is in, but immobile, and if she goes down once, it's instant game over, and the enemies have guns. All this, obviously, with the standard state of "you cannot skip or accelerate the associated cutscene in any way."

So basically, it was total bullshit.

I did not, in my wildest dreams, imagine that there would be another one, with more enemies.

e: oh my god they spawn a robot in the second wave that just runs up to her instantly.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So, I once again tried to give Alpha Protocol another shot to see why everyone loves it so much, and oh boy are the animations kind of rough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So, I once again tried to give Alpha Protocol another shot to see why everyone loves it so much, and oh boy are the animations kind of rough.

Alpha Protocol's everything is kinda rough. It's very a much a "it's a good game in SPITE OF...." kind of game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Caphi posted:

Christ, Star Ocean 5.

It had this combat where Anne is in, but immobile, and if she goes down once, it's instant game over, and the enemies have guns. All this, obviously, with the standard state of "you cannot skip or accelerate the associated cutscene in any way."

So basically, it was total bullshit.

I did not, in my wildest dreams, imagine that there would be another one, with more enemies.

What happens when you game over? From your post it sounds like they don't give an option to retry the fight without going through the cutscene before it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Electric Phantasm posted:

What happens when you game over? From your post it sounds like they don't give an option to retry the fight without going through the cutscene before it.

Retry the fight, nothing. I have to reload from a save, walk over to the start point (which is another slow-walk cutscene in itself), and then sit through the actual cutscene.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol what the poo poo Tri Ace

Maybe they can patch in a cutscene skip?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Update: somehow won by chugging energy drinks.

THERE'S ANOTHER ONE WHO THOUGHT THESE ENCOUNTERS WERE SO GREAT

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 8, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm done. I'm giving up on this game. It is wasting my time to an extent and with an abandon that I am completely comfortable writing it off as a waste of 9,000 yen instead. What a loving mess.

It's an entire game of "this must have sounded really badass in the marketing meeting."

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 8, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
a star ocean game was underwhelming??? what????

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wish this game was merely underwhelming, is what I'm saying. Underwhelming would mean tolerable.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

I wish this game was merely underwhelming, is what I'm saying. Underwhelming would mean tolerable.

Tri-Ace have a lot of (frequently really weird) ideas but they have no concept of what is or is not actually a good idea to put in a video game so it's largely down to luck whether any given game they make winds up playable or not. They're usually pretty interesting though. As in, from a "what even is this?" kind of perspective.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

Tri-Ace have a lot of (frequently really weird) ideas but they have no concept of what is or is not actually a good idea to put in a video game so it's largely down to luck whether any given game they make winds up playable or not. They're usually pretty interesting though. As in, from a "what even is this?" kind of perspective.

Yeah, the basic issue is that everything about SO5's presentation (the "seamless" cutscene thing) is one big mistake. Most of the other flaws, which exist, kind of feed back into that one, but it's just completely run out my patience in about 12 hours.

The specific fight I've given up on is just the impetus, but that's because it's sort of demonstrative of everything else wrong with the game - making you interrupt stuff that's hard to interrupt, making you try to hold down multiple enemies at once, not being able to move correctly, trying to maneuver through the awful targeting system, Anne protection encounters in general (I seriously thought there'd just be one, apparently they're a regular thing), the camera issues, the indoor camera issues, the fact that using items in combat kind of doesn't work because it requires you to Character Change, and the cutscene thing on top of that.

Anyway, y'all are welcome, and if you choose to play it anyway, I'm interested in the sharing.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 8, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Caphi posted:

I'm done. I'm giving up on this game. It is wasting my time to an extent and with an abandon that I am completely comfortable writing it off as a waste of 90,000 yen instead. What a loving mess.

i hope you put in an extra zero by mistake because that's like 900 dollars

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I did, I forgot the exchange rate. Perhaps in my frustration.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wateyad posted:

Fingers crossed they go to the old standby of the rest of the world getting some kind of Star Ocean 5 Remix/International/Un-hosed as our version considering it's still a few months away.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How much time did you spend in space

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

It's like 4x the size/length of any other RPG that was out at the time, too, so if you're looking for a JRPG to really sink your time into DQ7 is great.

Yeah for all the wrong awful reasons

It's kind of amazing how many improvements DQ8 made

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fingers crossed they go to the old standby of the rest of the world getting some kind of Star Ocean 5 Remix/International/Un-hosed as our version considering it's still a few months away.

SO4 International came out a year after the original so that won't happen. We're getting the original version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Two months away so it's unlikely, best we'll get is a patch if Japanese fans complain about it enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So does it have pair-up endings or is it just an extension of SO3's lazy mode?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's kind of amazing that tri-Ace can't get a Star Ocean game right. When the gameplay is tolerable, the story and characters are intolerable and if the story and characters are okay, if very anime and bland the gameplay usually sucks poo poo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm starting to think that Star Ocean might just be a bad series in general.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I'm starting to think that Star Ocean might just be a bad series in general.

It basically is, even 2 has waves of badly edited, repetitive dialogue that gets in the way of the fun combat, along with the obtuse JRPG poo poo everyone loves like the main character's best weapon needing another missable one to be forged I a special way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up, but, i don't care how hard the game's best weapons are to get so long as the difficulty curve isn't balanced around them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tales of zestiria is better than every star ocean

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

corn in the bible posted:

tales of zestiria is better than every star ocean

Look at this wrong opinion (only because SO2 exists). If you've played Graces f and can tolerate Zestiria, well you're stronger than I am.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the only big problem I have with Zestria's combat is the Arcane artes part of the RPS triangle is super unfun to deal with along with the trash that is Large Groups of Casters who have SCATTER AND RUN TO THE EDGES OF THE WORLD AI

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

OneDeadman posted:

the only big problem I have with Zestria's combat is the Arcane artes part of the RPS triangle is super unfun to deal with along with the trash that is Large Groups of Casters who have SCATTER AND RUN TO THE EDGES OF THE WORLD AI

I hate the casters, I hate the triangle, I hate the stupid equipment system that I'M FORCED to use if I want to make combat slightly less unpleasant. I don't know if I'll ever finish Zestiria and I've never not finished a Tales game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

Look at this wrong opinion (only because SO2 exists). If you've played Graces f and can tolerate Zestiria, well you're stronger than I am.

so2 is also terrible

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chaotic Flame posted:

S02 is a bad game that only looks good because people hate 3 and 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It fills me with immense joy that people are coming around to hate on SO2.