Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Talk about Movie posters that don't make me want to see a movie. http://warcraftmovie.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I just keep asking myself why now, when WoW's subscription numbers have tanked instead of at its height. Or even near its height.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundercracker posted:

I just keep asking myself why now, when WoW's subscription numbers have tanked instead of at its height. Or even near its height.

I think specifically because of that, hoping to revitalize interest in the game. Someone at Blizzard realized that people had a lot of nostalgia for Warcraft 1 and 2, thus this movie and Warlords of Draenor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thundercracker posted:

It's been in development hell for most of a decade.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best Orc leaders in gaming:

I can't believe you forgot Kaptin Bluddflagg from Dawn of War II. Who's entire motivation for rampaging through a star system was that he was denied a fancy hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hope someone makes a doc about it once this movie completely flops.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Principal photography finished over two full years before the release - the rest was post-production. If (and it's a big if) they make a sequel people might have visibly aged.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Did they ever do anything with Illidan after Burning Crusade like retcon him to be not really dead or bring him back in a time travel alternate universe thing or whatever, because of all the long-haired brooding dudes grappling with heroic corruption, he was the one that spoke most to my My-Chemical-Romance-listening teenage girl self, and it made me a little sad how they chumped him out for raid content pretty quickly

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Did they ever do anything with Illidan after Burning Crusade like retcon him to be not really dead or bring him back in a time travel alternate universe thing or whatever, because of all the long-haired brooding dudes grappling with heroic corruption, he was the one that spoke most to my My-Chemical-Romance-listening teenage girl self, and it made me a little sad how they chumped him out for raid content pretty quickly

You're in luck, bringing him back in a time travel alternate universe appears to be exactly what they're doing for the next big expansion.

Maybe they'll finally remember to bring back Turalyon and Alleria for this one.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jenny Angel posted:

They're doing exactly that in the upcoming expansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tender Bender posted:

They're doing exactly that in the upcoming expansion.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Thundercracker posted:

Because, just like any Warcraft lore since WoW's launch, it was all created and/or thought up while Metzen was sniffing the cocaine.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Illidan kills Dumbledore

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't really played WoW since Cataclysm, have the two recent expansions just retconned TBC or something to make outlands relevant again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't really played WoW since Cataclysm, have the two recent expansions just retconned TBC or something to make outlands relevant again?

Some dude who used to be tight with Thrall used some kind of time magic to go warn the orc chieftains not to make a pact with the demons and that created an alternate outlands that never blew up and was a full of brown orcs led by Grom that want to kill humans AND green orcs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Geez Louise I forgot how weak fantasy writing gets

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

How could you read enough of this to even get to page 274. Good grief.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Geez Louise I forgot how weak fantasy writing gets

To be fair, this isn't just standard fare pot-boiler fantasy but a book based off a licensed franchise. "Great Writer" probably wasn't even in the top 5 qualities they were looking for when they hired them to write the book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've known a few people who were considered to write one of those things and they were all like "Yeah I'll just poo poo out some garbage and get my paycheck, this is a sweet rear end deal" and both of them had nothing but contempt for WoW in general and its sad little lore.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Illidan is currently one of the best assassins in Heroes of the Storm and screams his catchphrases WITH THE HATRED OF 10,000 YEARS.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

I can't believe you forgot Kaptin Bluddflagg from Dawn of War II. Who's entire motivation for rampaging through a star system was that he was denied a fancy hat.

he needed to earn that hat, just because adrastia didn't agree to the new terms of"kill kyras and you can have my hat too", didn't mean that it wasn't a deal :orks101:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Toady posted:

Illidan is currently one of the best assassins in Heroes of the Storm and screams his catchphrases WITH THE HATRED OF 10,000 YEARS.

That is a whole lot of hate.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lurdiak posted:

You keep shifting goalposts and now you've basically gotten to the point of saying the story doesn't even matter. Is it so hard for you to admit that it's just a really bad story and everyone is right to feel it's bad?

I'm not talking about story. You're making some big leaps here.

My point is just that it's inane to want an MMO to have, like, "a good story." It's the classic mistake of like, oh man if we could just get Don DeLillo to write Warlords of Draenor think how good it would be.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

My point is just that it's inane to want an MMO to have, like, "a good story." It's the classic mistake of like, oh man if we could just get Don DeLillo to write Warlords of Draenor think how good it would be.

You gotta admit that would be kinda cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

porfiria posted:

there shouldn't be a story in an mmo it should just be a setting.

anyway who's that ork in 40k who went back in time via a warp storm and killed himself in the past so he could have two of his favorite gun? that's the best orc.

lol i just realize you used delillo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think there's a writer out there that can create both a good story and a story that supports the need for raid bosses plus quests for 40 bear butts.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

PoPcornTG posted:

Talk about Movie posters that don't make me want to see a movie. http://warcraftmovie.tumblr.com/

I'd hit it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda just hired Mia Rose for that part.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

there shouldn't be a story in an mmo it should just be a setting.

anyway who's that ork in 40k who went back in time via a warp storm and killed himself in the past so he could have two of his favorite gun? that's the best orc.

lol i just realize you used delillo.

The problem with Warcraft orcs is that their motivations are fundamentally the same as humans. They don't feel like another species, but rather just ethnic stand-ins.

Warhammer orcs are a running gag, but they're fleshed out enough that even if they are a joke their motivations both completely make sense and are also completely alien and different than humans.

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning had a lot of problems and was short lived compared to WoW, but it really did make the case that a comedy relief race can still work in an MMO.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Immortan posted:

I'd hit it.

With a war hammer!

I had no trouble getting over Channing Tatum's ridiculous dog ears in Jupiter Ascending but this girl has the ridiculous ears and ridiculous teeth. It's gonna be a challenge.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Immortan posted:

I'd hit it.

That's such a weak pose. Did they get a model to stand like that or is it a lovely photoshop job?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wasn't she a normal ugly orc in the original games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

wasn't she a normal ugly orc in the original games.

She was always a half-orc, though they considerably de-uglified her since.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

And being mostly naked, and a brainwashed slave, is true to her more recent depictions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Although they did change her from half-human to half-draenei.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

The problem with Warcraft orcs is that their motivations are fundamentally the same as humans. They don't feel like another species, but rather just ethnic stand-ins.

Warhammer orcs are a running gag, but they're fleshed out enough that even if they are a joke their motivations both completely make sense and are also completely alien and different than humans.

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning had a lot of problems and was short lived compared to WoW, but it really did make the case that a comedy relief race can still work in an MMO.

A competently made completely animated 40K film from the Ork perspective is pretty high up their on my list of dream films that will never see the light of day. Something like "Deff Skwadron" adapted for the big screen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bob Quixote posted:

A competently made completely animated 40K film from the Ork perspective is pretty high up their on my list of dream films that will never see the light of day. Something like "Deff Skwadron" adapted for the big screen.

They couldn't even make a good ultramarine movie, though, and those are their Mary Sues.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They couldn't even make a good ultramarine movie, though, and those are their Mary Sues.

I think they couldn't make a good ultramarine movie specifically because of that. GW's most popular books and stories tend to be about the Imperial Guard.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I think they couldn't make a good ultramarine movie specifically because of that. GW's most popular books and stories tend to be about the Imperial Guard.

Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium, would probably be hard to adapt since it would look like a mostly sincere action movie without his inner monologue telling you how terrified he is of everything going on around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bob Quixote posted:

Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium, would probably be hard to adapt since it would look like a mostly sincere action movie without his inner monologue telling you how terrified he is of everything going on around him.

I have no idea who that guy is but I'd watch a movie set in the 40K universe where we get the inner monologue of the main character Dune-style, but it's just "oh poo poo, Oh poo poo OHSHIT!" all movie long.

• Locked thread