Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoran posted:

She and her fellow worker Finn rise up and seize the means of production from the bourgeoisie, then.

That's not what those words mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

ding ding ding

Y do you like Sonic?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

Y do you like Sonic?
I just made that Charlie Brown groaning noise in real life.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just made that Charlie Brown groaning noise in real life.

Well...?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well that's explicitly contradicted in the writing. The ship is owned by the same guy who controls the food supply.

So is your original post. She knows the ship and its pilot because Han Solo was an infamous smuggler and she's familiar with adventures he had. It's contrasted against her stationary life on Jakku.

She admires Han Solo despite only knowing him as a smuggler, which isn't particularly classist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that a lot of young people relate to Rey, Finn, and Poe for more reasons than "they look like they could shag each other".

I mean, I'm not saying people don't at all (considering there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary), but come on. Younger fans deserve more credit than that.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Fun fact: Gary Whitta, the lead writer of Star Wars: Rogue One, wrote the dialogue for Duke Nukem Forever

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

That's not what those words mean.

I mostly just wanted to make a dumb joke by abusing Marxist rhetoric :)

But did you see my edit?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Fun fact: Gary Whitta, the lead writer of Star Wars: Rogue One, wrote the dialogue for Duke Nukem Forever

I wouldn't worry much... I believe he did a first pass and there has been a ton of rewrites since then.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

So is your original post. She knows the ship and its pilot because Han Solo was an infamous smuggler and she's familiar with adventures he had. It's contrasted against her stationary life on Jakku.

She admires Han Solo despite only knowing him as a smuggler, which isn't particularly classist.

Right, but I'm talking about Rey's attitude towards the (other) scavengers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I wouldn't worry much... I believe he did a first pass and there has been a ton of rewrites since then.

As long as Lindelof didn't get it at some point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Y do you like Sonic?

I'm sure if you answered this question honestly, things will be aight.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Who knows. Life is funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majorian posted:

critics are idiots, news at 10.

See also: Batman v Superman

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey man, keep it to the BvS thread. In here, Zach Snyder is a fascist and he's confused.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zoran posted:

I don't see how you can watch TFA, notice that the main character's missing family is the salient feature of her backstory that defines her emotional conflict, and then believe that nothing will come of it and we'll never find out who those people are. So you have to look at the clues in the text and decide who they point to. There are not that many parent candidates to begin with, and all signs point to Luke.

Her emotional conflict is whether to wait for them or accept her part in the larger universe. It doesn't matter who they are specifically, just that they aren't coming back.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I bet Rogue One is going to be two times.. no, three times better than TFA.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Way further away from it than that; he wrote the story, not the screenplay.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the guy who wrote Antz did the screenplay for Rogue One and we all know Antz was the superior, more dark & gritty Bugs Life movie.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It was at least better than Bee Movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

dublish posted:

Hey man, keep it to the BvS thread. In here, Zach Snyder is a fascist

he is.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That trailer sure was full of things I remember from my childhood.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Shock horror: Critic consensus correct.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

G-III posted:

Whelp, call it what you want but regardless of what the actual quality is that the prequels were missing, they were clearly missing it in a way that caused audience members in a large mass to verbally express their dislike of these movies for over 15 years.

This tells more about the audience members's psychosis than about PT's dialogue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Steppin' softly in a danger zone
No weapon in my hand
It's just this brain, designed by man
It's got me in trouble again
In trouble again
I put my life in jeopardy
In the service of my friends
I wouldn't care but it's a dangerous affair
'Cause I’m in trouble again, trouble again
In trouble, in trouble, in trouble

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What is the deal with Rey calling the Millennium Falcon garbage? Like, she's done work on it, so it can't be ignorance. But, in the OT, it's a dope ship, and this is carried through to TFA with it fighting off the tie fighters and jumping inside the shields of Starkiller. When she learns what ship it is, she's impressed with the ship having done the Kessel Run in whatever, not Han Solo (though she's also impressed to meet him). Doesn't seem to add up.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
falcon is a garbagest ship

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the millenium falcon's ship type was old & junk in ANH, and now its even older. It had not flown in years, and we don't know the extent to which Rey was allowed to poke around (and we know she had flown ships before but not the falcon). The Falcon is a famous ship from a famous smuggler, but it was only good because of Han's extensive modifications. If Rey doesnt know about all the mods shes not gonna know its got the goods. To her its just a ship thats old.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

What is the deal with Rey calling the Millennium Falcon garbage? Like, she's done work on it, so it can't be ignorance. But, in the OT, it's a dope ship, and this is carried through to TFA with it fighting off the tie fighters and jumping inside the shields of Starkiller. When she learns what ship it is, she's impressed with the ship having done the Kessel Run in whatever, not Han Solo (though she's also impressed to meet him). Doesn't seem to add up.

Because Luke called it a hunk of junk.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

That is likely the case. People just generally don't know why they like or dislike things. That's why people are attributing like or dislike to the writing of the characters without looking at how writing actually contributes to characterization.

As an example: the line about how "the garbage will do!" contributes to Rey's characterization as a classist: her repeated assertions that she isn't scavenger scum like them. We soon learn that she's been working on this 'garbage' ship for years - and her attitude towards it suddenly changes at the moment that she learns that it's a famous ship.

"This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs!"

An interesting observation. I'd like to think her classism might be yet another hint she's vulnerable to turning to the dark side.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

hhhat posted:

Reys theme is good but I'm phoning in to say Jedi steps is amazing and so perfect at that point in the movie.

John Williams owns the gently caress out of soundtracks

Isn't Rey's theme and Jedi steps basically the same song?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

TFA in particular feels intentionally...maybe "unfinished" is too harsh, but it's not really self contained. Even with something like TPM or ESB, you have a concrete arc that accomplishes a lot even though it raises more questions for the future.

It feels more like a pilot to a tv series than it does an actual movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It feels more like a pilot to a tv series than it does an actual movie.

The central issue is that the film is The Han Solo Show, but he is simultaneously just a guest-star.

The villain is Han's son, and we are treated to lengthy nightmare scenes of Ben being lured away by the big evil man. Do either FN or Rey even know Snoke exists? If they do, the film gives us no indication. Those Snoke scenes are there primarily as characterization for Han Solo - showing the competition he's up against.

The Death Star 3 is 'bad', in narrative terms, because it threatens Han Solo's estranged wife. Han effectively dies to protect her, while Rey and FN just watch. Neither of them have a stake in the conflict. Death Star 3 exists mainly as motivation for Han Solo.

The entire subsequent laser swordfight is just gratuitous. Like, Kylo recognizes the one guy from the opening scene. Then, the other is a girl and he hates girls. That's it. If you think about it, no previous laser-sword battle had so flimsy a pretext. Even Darth Maul had the goal of destroying the entire Jedi Order. As far as Kylo knows, he's out to murder an unarmed psychic girl and a janitor. And this plot is foiled because FN is 'brave' and Rey is 'strong'. This is not a good conflict, and my eyes glaze over while watching it unfold.

Rey and FN basically reach the end of their Act 1, and then the credits roll.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Isn't Rey's theme and Jedi steps basically the same song?

They didn't sound the same. Jedi steps is at the end where she goes to see Luke right?

I don't own the sound track

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Jedi Steps starts with a bit that sounds similar to Rey's theme, but quickly segues into its own composition.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This tells more about the audience members's psychosis than about PT's dialogue.

Is this that special type of irony where you say that while there is an exaggerated tone you also actually completely believe the audience is at fault for not liking a thing

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

PBS Newshour posted:

i am glad you are broadcasting yourself as a total dipshit still
i swear this is like the 100th time you have made that post

no idea who you are but iirc I made 2 whole posts in CD about TFA and one about this new film but why not refer to your dossier you've been compiling on me for confirmation

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just a little speculation on Rogue One based on the trailer: I think Forest Whitaker's character may be a former Rebel or some other anti-Imperial type. The few lines of dialogue he has in the trailer seem to imply that he is concerned with Jyn and what will happen when the Empire gets ahead of her. "What will you do when they catch you? What will you do if they break you? If you continue to fight? What will you become?" That last "you" has a lot of emphasis on it, very accusatory. Plus it coincides with a shot of Jyn in an Imperial uniform, presumably as a disguise. It's my theory that Whitaker's character underwent the process he describes in the trailer. He was captured and brainwashed by the Empire.

Imagine if the movie ends with Jyn getting captured and turned evil.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

J_RBG posted:

Is this that special type of irony where you say that while there is an exaggerated tone you also actually completely believe the audience is at fault for not liking a thing

I don't mean "the audience" as a whole - I was talking about the kind of audience member who will complain about a movie for 15 years. Because for some reason certain audience members (let's call them "nerds") have been obsessed with these movies for a decade. Who actually "express their dislike of these movies for over 15 years"? If you think about that objectively, it's completely insane. Normal people don't complain about a movie series long enough between age demographics, let alone a bad movie series. It's psychotic.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 8, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well (fictional) history tells us they succeeded. But not at what price. Having the leader of the operation turn on the rebels in the end would be quite interesting.

I don't think she will though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sir Kodiak posted:

As you know, not all of the available deleted scenes were put into this release.

The trip to Takodana actually takes longer than what we see on screen. The additional dialogue between Rey and Han is:

code:
REY: I can't believe this is really the Millenium Falcon!
HAN SOLO: It must have been on Jakuu long enough,  What did you think it was called?
REY: According to the bridge dedication plate here, it's the M'e'um F'on.
HAN SOLO: Can't you see the grime?

Han wipes away accumulated dirt revealing the full name, ala Star Trek the Motion Picture.

• Locked thread