Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

I can't remember (cause I think you changed avatars) but were you one of the people on the fence about KoW like I was?

Everyone I know who looked at it and said 'looks bland' changes their tune.

Yeah I completely was. I was an idiot.

KoW plays faster, has clear rules, balance seems good and it doesn't feel like it's missing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

TKIY posted:

Yeah I completely was. I was an idiot.

KoW plays faster, has clear rules, balance seems good and it doesn't feel like it's missing anything.

Yeah, amen. I resisted playing it for a while but was hooked after just the first game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I've added your posts to the painting thread, as before the only info I had for photography was a (helpful but lengthy) link to Tale of Painters. If you want to adapt what you've put beyond the minimal additions I've done here's the post at the moment: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post442594526

Hey, that's cool and fine. That particular post is more specific to the issues Richyp is having (and btw Richy, much better results there... I think you'll still benefit from more light and a neutral grey background, but I think you're agreeing it's already a marked improvement) but there's some general knowledge in there too.

I've occasionally pondered the idea of doing a "Dorkroom meets Trad Games" thread over there in the dorkroom, which would focus specifically on newbie help with still photos of miniatures. Something similar to the AI meets BFC thread, where BFCers help goons buy cars. It'd include assistance for low-tech photographers, even those using phone cameras, talk about the different options for setting up a cheap lightbox, the inherent superiority of outdoor photography, and then maybe be a thread where TG minis painters could post questions and get help with their particular issues.

But I dunno if there'd be interest enough, on either side of things, and also - bigger issue - I'm a lazy procrastinator.

Treser
Sep 2, 2013

It's not supposed to be safe

Has there been any word on a possible Night Stalkers release date? Waiting on them to finally drop before I get into KoW.

Treser fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 8, 2016

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Leperflesh posted:

Hey, that's cool and fine. That particular post is more specific to the issues Richyp is having (and btw Richy, much better results there... I think you'll still benefit from more light and a neutral grey background, but I think you're agreeing it's already a marked improvement) but there's some general knowledge in there too.

I've occasionally pondered the idea of doing a "Dorkroom meets Trad Games" thread over there in the dorkroom, which would focus specifically on newbie help with still photos of miniatures. Something similar to the AI meets BFC thread, where BFCers help goons buy cars. It'd include assistance for low-tech photographers, even those using phone cameras, talk about the different options for setting up a cheap lightbox, the inherent superiority of outdoor photography, and then maybe be a thread where TG minis painters could post questions and get help with their particular issues.

But I dunno if there'd be interest enough, on either side of things, and also - bigger issue - I'm a lazy procrastinator.

If you have seen the pics I submit to the oath thread you will know that I'm basically pointing my phone at stuff and hoping for the best. An idiots guide to cheap and cheerful mini photography would be cool. Most articles assume basic knowledge or that you already own a light box for some reason.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ugleb posted:

If you have seen the pics I submit to the oath thread you will know that I'm basically pointing my phone at stuff and hoping for the best. An idiots guide to cheap and cheerful mini photography would be cool. Most articles assume basic knowledge or that you already own a light box for some reason.

Agreed, thanks to Leperflesh's post I already have a better understanding of the arcane workings of cameras.

In terms of lightboxes, I made a ghetto box out of cardboard box that I cut the top and front off, then I taped the top of a sheet of white paper to the back, and the taped the bottom to the under side of the box making sure that the paper was curved rather than creased (so there's no sharp line on the picture). Here's a shot of it:

I'm then taking pictures from about 12-16" away from the box. Followed by lloading the picture into gimp, choosing "Colors->Levels..."

Click the white dropper:

Click on the white paper "lightbox" background in the image and voila:

The picture would be sharper if I had a tripod because my understanding is that the shutter speed is slow enough that any minor movement is making its way into the final picture.

E: Apologies for non Mantic pics. I'm waiting on the Frostgrave cultist box to arrive so I can customise some more undead (bows etc..)

richyp fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 8, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a fantastic guide.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I can't believe I never thought to adjust the white levels in photo editing rather than on my camera

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

signalnoise posted:

I can't believe I never thought to adjust the white levels in photo editing rather than on my camera

I have to do it less than I used to but that's because I've got my daylight bulb painting lamp (not pictured) on a boom arm coming over my monitor so there's very little yellow to correct anyway but back when I used the normal warm light from the ceiling light it made a massive difference to fixing the colours.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

InK105 posted:

Has there been any word on a possible Night Stalkers release date? Waiting on them to finally drop before I get into KoW.

Nothing I've heard of. I wouldn't hold your breath on them coming out any time soon, but then I was also surprised at the Empire of Dust announcements.

Night Stalkers are one of those armies that you can really go hog wild for tracking down your ideal miniatures from any manufacturer.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

signalnoise posted:

You're usually losing like 10% when you adjust in post, so it's better to take the best photo.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Painted pictures of the centaurs, they look awesome:

Mantic is finally starting to get some A+ kits out.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Then in the same preview they showed off this

ffs mantic

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh no, was that what happened to be the black lady druid concept art?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Curious, in the TG kickstarter thread this etched brass project was linked--and incidentally, in their update on the 6th they mention that they are going to create officially licensed sheets for a 'full boxed game' kickstarter that Mantic is apparently about to launch? Any idea what that might be about?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752543891/etch-master-etched-brass-basing-and-scenic-details/posts/1540231

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

^^ That druid what the hell :cripes:

GaistHeidegger posted:

Curious, in the TG kickstarter thread this etched brass project was linked--and incidentally, in their update on the 6th they mention that they are going to create officially licensed sheets for a 'full boxed game' kickstarter that Mantic is apparently about to launch? Any idea what that might be about?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752543891/etch-master-etched-brass-basing-and-scenic-details/posts/1540231

He's talking about the new Deadzone Infestation 2 player starter - these guys made enhancements for the original battlezones whch have been on sale for a little while, I expect they've gone and made some new ones for the new Industrial battlezones.

At least I think that's what he's saying?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 8, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I wanna hope that the druid looks as bad as it does because of the paint job. Whoever did that was either not on their A-game that day, or they got Billy from the chips shop down the road to do it for free.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mantic, seriously find new people to do your face sculpts.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got an email with this link, in case people didn't know about it:

http://warpathuniverse.com/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Painted pictures of the centaurs, they look awesome:

Mantic is finally starting to get some A+ kits out.

Oh man these are really nice. For a while I was tempted to make a mythic-greek themed army, but all the centaur options were too expensive.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Round two of the KoW tokens. Added Bane Chant, Nerve Test markers, large and small unit facing gauges and a 6" corner measuring gauge:

Again, black lines are cuts, red is raster engraving, blue is .1mm line engraving.

Thanks for any feedback!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Has anyone had any problems with spray primer not curing on the plastic that Dungeon Saga stuff is made from? I did two of the figures in the past (the treefolk druid and a random one of the orcs) and they seemed to give me no problems, but today I sprayed a bunch of the dungeon furniture and it is giving me some serious Bones-style sticky primer blues. As far as I can tell, nothing about the primer, the process, or the environment has substantially changed, so I'm mystified.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

JerryLee posted:

Has anyone had any problems with spray primer not curing on the plastic that Dungeon Saga stuff is made from? I did two of the figures in the past (the treefolk druid and a random one of the orcs) and they seemed to give me no problems, but today I sprayed a bunch of the dungeon furniture and it is giving me some serious Bones-style sticky primer blues. As far as I can tell, nothing about the primer, the process, or the environment has substantially changed, so I'm mystified.

Mould release, maybe, or the furniture might be made of different stuff to the minis. Wouldn't surprise me. Try giving them a good clean first.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I'm in the process of assembling and painting up an Undead force at the moment. I've been adding bits and pieces from various kits and other models to try and come up with a nice looking but legal force that'll probably never see light of day but anyway. I got hold of the Frostgrave Cultist box today and it's a gold mine for bits to add to Skeletons, Zombies and Ghouls if you want to add a bit more variety, it also includes 4 Bows and 4 Crossbows which leads me to this option.

I'm thinking of either getting Revenant Knight box to make them into Skeleton Archer Cavalry Regiment (Allied Empire of Dust) or as Mounted Scouts (Allied Kingdom of Men). Either option will be painted up to fit in with the rest of my Undead colours but I also have 20 cultist torsos, tonnes of spare weapons, arms and heads that I'd like to form into a unit of something. I like the idea of some kind of Undead worshipping cult but I'm not sure what they would make a good proxy. The only option I can think of would be a Berserker Mob Regiment so that I can take the Mounted Scouts Troop.

Here's what I'd end up with if I got 10 mounted models of some form but I'm open top suggestions

code:
Lady Ilona
Zombies (Reg)
 - Undead Rats
Skeleton Warriors	 (Troop)
Skeleton Warriors (Troop)

Necromancer
 - Bane-chant	
Skeleton Spearmen (Reg)
 - Undead Rats
Ghouls (Troop)
Ghouls (Troop)

845pts
Then either:
code:
Skeleton Archer Cavalry (Reg)
 - Casket of the Damned

155pts
or

code:
Beserkers (Reg) 140pts
Mounted Scouts (Troop) 100pts
I'd have to lose 85pts from other places to fit the Kingdom of Men choices it also opens up more options later. Or use a Militia Mob Regiment instead for 70pts and ditch the undead rats. I need a regiment in order to open up the Scouts choice as it's troop only.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking is this a dumb idea?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

muskets posted:

Mould release, maybe, or the furniture might be made of different stuff to the minis. Wouldn't surprise me. Try giving them a good clean first.

The dungeon furniture is still PVC, but it's definitely a different recipe to the figures. It's a very bendy plastic, similar in feel and pliability to Bonesium, so it wouldn't surprise me if it has similar issues with propellant. The doors are all proper hard plastic though, the bags with them in it make that reassuring Lego rattle sound.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

richyp posted:

I'm in the process of assembling and painting up an Undead force at the moment. I've been adding bits and pieces from various kits and other models to try and come up with a nice looking but legal force that'll probably never see light of day but anyway. I got hold of the Frostgrave Cultist box today and it's a gold mine for bits to add to Skeletons, Zombies and Ghouls if you want to add a bit more variety, it also includes 4 Bows and 4 Crossbows which leads me to this option.

I'm thinking of either getting Revenant Knight box to make them into Skeleton Archer Cavalry Regiment (Allied Empire of Dust) or as Mounted Scouts (Allied Kingdom of Men). Either option will be painted up to fit in with the rest of my Undead colours but I also have 20 cultist torsos, tonnes of spare weapons, arms and heads that I'd like to form into a unit of something. I like the idea of some kind of Undead worshipping cult but I'm not sure what they would make a good proxy. The only option I can think of would be a Berserker Mob Regiment so that I can take the Mounted Scouts Troop.

Here's what I'd end up with if I got 10 mounted models of some form but I'm open top suggestions

code:
Lady Ilona
Zombies (Reg)
 - Undead Rats
Skeleton Warriors	 (Troop)
Skeleton Warriors (Troop)

Necromancer
 - Bane-chant	
Skeleton Spearmen (Reg)
 - Undead Rats
Ghouls (Troop)
Ghouls (Troop)

845pts
Then either:
code:
Skeleton Archer Cavalry (Reg)
 - Casket of the Damned

155pts
or

code:
Beserkers (Reg) 140pts
Mounted Scouts (Troop) 100pts
I'd have to lose 85pts from other places to fit the Kingdom of Men choices it also opens up more options later. Or use a Militia Mob Regiment instead for 70pts and ditch the undead rats. I need a regiment in order to open up the Scouts choice as it's troop only.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking is this a dumb idea?

I don't have any real opinion on which allies would be better, but keep in mind your main wizards can't surge allied units so you'll need to bring another one from the Empire of Dust or drop the casket.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Starting on my Salamanders. I'm super happy with the color scheme.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy moly, now that takes me back.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I've managed to get myself out of my painting funk (I haven't done poo poo since November) and did these werewolves yesterday. The wolves are nothing to write home about, but this unit is significant to me because it's the first more or less finished unit base for my undead army. Any advice for what I should do with the base (or improvements I should keep in mind as I go back and do similar ones for my skeletons and zombies this afternoon)?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

drgnvale posted:

I've managed to get myself out of my painting funk (I haven't done poo poo since November) and did these werewolves yesterday. The wolves are nothing to write home about, but this unit is significant to me because it's the first more or less finished unit base for my undead army. Any advice for what I should do with the base (or improvements I should keep in mind as I go back and do similar ones for my skeletons and zombies this afternoon)?

The fallen branch there could use some detail. Giving it a wash, then giving progressively smaller highlights, would help make it look less bland. I've found that getting a color like Reaper Muddy Olive and making a thin glaze from it, then washing it over wood, really gives it a more natural look--especially if it's supposed to be old and overgrown.

More variation in the foliage would be nice too. The basic grass under their feet could use some color in there; if you have two different types of flock, mix them together (in a separate container!) and apply it for future bases. If you have, or can get some static grass, that'd look nice sprinkled here and there--not all grass is at an even height, after all. Additionally, some rocks would look good, and would help break up foliage. That you can just get small bits of slate, which if you get a nice grey tone you won't have to paint them at all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Captain Invictus posted:

holy moly, now that takes me back.

It wasn't quite a steal, but 28 saurus and 32 skinks for about $30 seemed like a good deal. I've got a Reaper Reptus cavalry on order to be a hero on Rhinosaur and snagged 8 Cold One Saurus Riders from eBay. Functionally I've got about 1000 points which is great for small games or an allied contingent.

I had these as a kid and remember spending hours on the floor meticulously painting them solid green. Figured 20 years later I could do them a bit better. And after the sea of green that is my elves, I never want to paint green again.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Round two of the KoW tokens. Added Bane Chant, Nerve Test markers, large and small unit facing gauges and a 6" corner measuring gauge:
Again, black lines are cuts, red is raster engraving, blue is .1mm line engraving.

Thanks for any feedback!

Okay so thinking about the rest of the space on this 12" x 12" and I though about little chevrons that you could stack for easy to forget unit modifiers like so:

These can stack on the corner, and they will nest with the bigger markers on the end.

I have a generic 'Magic Item' one, and 'Inspiring'. Good idea? What else would you throw in there. 'Elite' maybe?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Elite and Vicious both offer rerolls on 1s for to hit/damage, they're pretty easy to forget when you're busy rolling and you're not using an army that has either as an army-wide special rule.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How about terrain markers for 'Blocking' and 'Difficult'? I have to use up a 12" x 12" sheet and I'm running out of ideas :D

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
As a Ratkin player, having a Rallying marker would be useful

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Final sketch up:

Added blocking/difficult terrain markers, vicious and elite markers, and a 9" straight movement marker that will allow you to go front corner to front corner with the guide as a straightedge.

I've tried not to add anything that is army specific since I have several friends I am getting these cut for and only one has any ratmen models :/

Have to find out the cost now.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Really, TKIY, it says a lot about how clean KoW's system is that you're struggling to come up with table clutter. :unsmith:

edit: How about tokens to mark which unit has Sabre-toothed Pussycats/Throwing Mastiffs/Wild Companions/Etc.?

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 11, 2016

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

Really, TKIY, it says a lot about how clean KoW's system is that you're struggling to come up with table clutter. :unsmith:

edit: How about tokens to mark which unit has Sabre-toothed Pussycats/Throwing Mastiffs/Wild Companions/Etc.?

I was thinking of a 'unit pet' type marker but at this point I'm out of room :)

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Nothing is lost: it would be cheating yourself somewhat if you didn't model yourself an adorable kitty to hang out with your hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

Nothing is lost: it would be cheating yourself somewhat if you didn't model yourself an adorable kitty to hang out with your hero.

Displacer beasts really are the best beasts.

In my first (and so far only) game a Dwarving Throwing Mastiff ate ten Orc archers. Who's a good boy? You are! You are a good boy!