Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For me, grinders are the exception for the glove rule. I've had a couple of grinder "kisses" before that would have been much worse were it not for several millimetres of leather or neoprene glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yeah, grinders don't have the same high torque/lower speed risks that a lot of the lose-the-gloves tools have. I didn't glove up for the bench grinder until a coarse wheel tool a nice deep bite out of my hand.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Adding to the angle grinder safety chat, don't forget to look where the sparks are flying. Or you'll end up setting your crotch on fire and have to cockpunch yourself to try and put them out.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I maintain the position that the angle grinder is the most dangerous tool in my shop. 10,000+ loving RPM... Only thing that spins that fast typically is a woodworking router, which has its own set of hazards, dose not compare to the angle grinder.

This is an angle grinder scar on my right index finger. I got this while I worked at the scrap yard using a cutting wheel on the underside of a vehicle. I was wearing gloves... I agree with the sentiments that the gloves are a drat good idea when using angel grinders... I think my finger would have worse off without them.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

quote:

I maintain the position that the angle grinder is the most dangerous tool in my shop.

Yep. At the school I did my blacksmithing program at, the year before someone didn't tie their hair up and the wire-wheel on an angle grinder gobbled it up and then pulled the still-running tool into the side of his face for a couple of horrible seconds. Lotta blood, apparently.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

So I finally upgraded to a Nova G3 from a tiny weak lathe chuck that barely held anything longer than 5"
I'm so excited to actually be able to turn bowls.

I don't really know why I thought that original one would be any good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scale please

(got no idea if I'm looking at miniatures of a 3 foot long box)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Coffee mug stain and thickness of cardboard relative to box dimensions suggests miniatures.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I maintain the position that the angle grinder is the most dangerous tool in my shop.

This, except for my case replace the wheel with a braided wire brush cup.

All the hazards of a disc with the added fun of it throwing needles of steel into your chest, legs, arm, and face.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Man, at least angle grinder wirebrush wires don't have enough mass to do real damage when they take off- a smith I took a weekend course with had this huge mean wire-wheel on his buffer, bigger than any standard diameter I've seen and with coarse-rear end bristles that he exclusively used for effortlessly scouring any and all firescale off of things. He also didn't use it without full-body leathers and face-shield and with anyone else standing in the flung-wire blast zone.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
"Angle grinder accident" is right up there with "lathe accident" on my list of things to not google image search.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Nthing the "use gloves with an angle grinder" opinion. I think if they got caught on the wheel then it would more likely rip the thing out of your hand and shut off than it would pull your hand into it. And the gloves protect you from sparks/exploding discs.

I had a coworker who was using a 4.5" angle grinder like a dumbass (no guard or gloves) when it caught on something and exploded. He needed 18 stitches in his hand, but was lucky enough to escape with no permanent nerve damage. Later I was using a teeny little cutoff disc on a die grinder like a dumbass, and when it exploded I needed 6 stitches in my forehead. Now I use gloves/safety glasses always, a guard if it's at all possible, and a full face shield when I don't have a guard, or there's a chance of something ricocheting back at me.

Ninja edit: using a 7" disc on a 4.5" angle grinder is double scary. Not only do you need to remove the guard, but bigger discs are rated for a lower RPM, which increases the likelihood of it exploding.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 8, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was using an angle grinder and it caused global warming.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I only wear thin nitrile gloves (exam gloves, mechanics gloves are too robust) with spinning things. Enough to keep the grease and flung wires away, not enough to rip your skin off. Even they are still a risk, though.

Real gloves are insane. I've run two degloving calls, both caused by gloves vs machinery. Don't do it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You'll want to be careful with ultrasonic cleaning if you have aluminum parts. Valve seats from my oxyacetylene torch turned out like this:

TBH I don't think the pitting affects function here, but still... Why the hell not make those parts out of brass like everything else.

Actually, it might probably not be safe after all. Aluminum should be anodized if it's to be in contact with oxygen. I think this old welding handle might be hosed since there are no spares, unless I wanna have brass replacements machined. Not worth it....

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think an appeal to majority rule is the right answer, exactly but...
https://www.google.com/#q=wear+gloves+with+angle+grinder%3F

A quick survey of the first few pages of results suggests that wearing gloves with an angle grinder is controversial. What I do not see is consistent advice about the shield, so I'll reiterate: you should always have the shield attached and in position to protect your hands, including from sparks and from anything else thrown by the tool, up to and including a shattered wheel. Naturally ear, eye, and perhaps face protection is warranted, and sometimes a filter or respirator is called for.

Of course, the shield also provides some protection against a glove becoming entangled with the tool. If you are going to wear gloves, at least make sure the shield is keeping you from your grip possibly slipping forward, and also go over your glove and remove any strings, hanging bits, tears, tags, etc. that could get caught.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

His Divine Shadow posted:

You'll want to be careful with ultrasonic cleaning if you have aluminum parts. Valve seats from my oxyacetylene torch turned out like this:

What liquid did you have in there?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

What liquid did you have in there?

water, vinegar and dish soap, pretty mild stuff. It's the caviation process itself more likely that did it from what I found out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

EKDS5k posted:

Nthing the "use gloves with an angle grinder" opinion. I think if they got caught on the wheel then it would more likely rip the thing out of your hand and shut off than it would pull your hand into it. And the gloves protect you from sparks/exploding discs.

I had a coworker who was using a 4.5" angle grinder like a dumbass (no guard or gloves) when it caught on something and exploded. He needed 18 stitches in his hand, but was lucky enough to escape with no permanent nerve damage. Later I was using a teeny little cutoff disc on a die grinder like a dumbass, and when it exploded I needed 6 stitches in my forehead. Now I use gloves/safety glasses always, a guard if it's at all possible, and a full face shield when I don't have a guard, or there's a chance of something ricocheting back at me.

Ninja edit: using a 7" disc on a 4.5" angle grinder is double scary. Not only do you need to remove the guard, but bigger discs are rated for a lower RPM, which increases the likelihood of it exploding.

Oh yeah...I neglected to mention the wheel DID explode. Amazingly no damage too either of us although I got whacked by a big chunk of the wheel which kinda stung but my pants protected my skin enough to avoid injury.

Her dad just shrugged and said that stuff happens. I think it had something to do with him using the concrete floor to stop the wheel whenever he turned off the grinder... That cannot be good for the wheel.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

His Divine Shadow posted:

water, vinegar and dish soap, pretty mild stuff. It's the caviation process itself more likely that did it from what I found out.

The aluminium mill parts I've put in simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner have come out perfect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perhaps different types of aluminum, might be the anodizing, or what cleaning fluid you are using. Simple green is not available here.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

The aluminium mill parts I've put in simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner have come out perfect.

Same with all the parts I've washed in acetone and isopropanol. Try not using acid on metals, that might help (aluminum is particularly susceptible to corrosion).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

used vinegar and dish soap as it's been popular for use with brass cleaning, did not think of the aluminum parts being suspectible.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Oh yeah...I neglected to mention the wheel DID explode.

Her dad just shrugged and said that stuff happens. I think it had something to do with him using the concrete floor to stop the wheel whenever he turned off the grinder... That cannot be good for the wheel.

Does her dad not like you or something?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I hate using angle grinders and avoid using them whenever possible. There is exactly one grinder here with the shield and handle still attached at my shop, and all my coworkers won't use it, preferring the unshielded, no goggles, no glove, one-handed operation that they do. They're going to maim themselves and I have no idea how they've gone this long without doing so.

Unfortunately I've seen a lathe break an arm in person, so now I'm super paranoid about no gloves/long sleeves/hoodies around the lathes.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Ultrasonic cleaners are regarded as exceptionally gentle and are frequently used with softer gemstones and other
materials that are far less resilient than aluminum. It's the acid what did the pitting- same thing that happens when you put foil on lasagna for a couple days and lil pinpricks get eaten through where sauce contacts the metal. 'generic acids' (as opposed to acid pickles like sodium bisulphite which work a little differently) can do a fine job of cleaning most metals- with close supervision so you can pull the part in between all the oxide and grime being eaten and the actual part being substantively corroded- but it's generally a pretty bad idea with reactive metals.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well fortunately I got some more authorative advice on the seals and they should still be OK even if they don't look shiny and new anymore so the torch should be fine.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

nostrata posted:

Does her dad not like you or something?

Nah he likes me. I think it was more a "look how much cooler and tougher than you I am by risking severe injury for no reason" thing.

I just wanted to learn how to make stuff... :(

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
When I was working on rail cars one of my co-workers had to go the hospital because he wasn't wearing safety glasses and got something from a grinder caught in his eye... do you think he learned his lesson and wore safety glasses the following day? No.

I've came to realize many welders tend to have self-destructive personalties.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Also, gently caress you if you're using a grinder and pointing the sparks at a person, a box of oily rags (why is there a loving box of oily rags to begin with?!), or an oxy-acetylene line. You would loving think that even if you don't immediately realize the danger of what you'er doing, being outright told or having the danger manifested would be enough to get it through to someone. But no.

So yeah, I absolutely believe that dude didn't wear safety goggles the next day.

I like what I do, but I need to find a better place to work.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
If you want to be a welder in a clean and safe environment, I recommend the food and dairy industry.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
That time I saw a kid coil the hose for the cutting torch around him- and under the cinderblock he was cutting on- and proceed to try cutting some barstock up with the bare hose in the firing line of the torch 6 inches away.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have a working lathe! (Ok, I'm not counting the POS HF 9x20 my brother has). Our machinist buddy made us a lovely delrin bushing on his $250k Okuma CNC lathe.

No video yet, it's noisy as heck with ~50 year old + belts, and it badly needs a new power switch- but I love it :)

Next up is making a rear chip pan (?) and mounting the new tool holder. Eventually I'll also make a tooling rack, but I'm way too happy that we can finally make chips again!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
What's the wheel under the gearbox for?

Also : totally jealous.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Variable speed! It controls the position of the reeves drive (aluminum discs above). Our issue was a frozen stuck bearing that caused the speed to be fixed. Not good for a lathe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is sweet. Mine still isn't together and I'm slacking on thread updates. But things are actually happening. Unfortunately it won't be nearly as exciting when I'm done as that beast.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is that the continuously variable manual transmission mentioned earlier? Could that output enough torque to propel a vehicle?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Solidworks model of the first real project, a rotary engine intake manifold.

The consumable pattern on my coffee table with beer for reference.

Please come back with your progress. I've just got a central heating burner and am about the cast a foundry body to do the exact same thing with 3D printed lost was casting so I'd love to avoid any pitfalls I can.

Did you work out the shrinkage % from the test cube?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've just assumed leadership of the Western Canada Blacksmith Guild - southern Alberta chapter.

Because I obviously didn't have enough to do already.
:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I've just assumed leadership of the Western Canada Blacksmith Guild - southern Alberta chapter.

Because I obviously didn't have enough to do already.
:suicide:

Congratulations. That sounds badass and I have no idea what that entails.