Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Noted. I'll be picking one up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Which are on sale for 40bux right now! Buy buy buy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...type=10&veh=aff

E: also you'll get to take the equipment rental off your bill which is 10bux a month. Just note that you'll need a router as well if you have more than one device/want WiFi.

Tots fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 3, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tots posted:

Which are on sale for 40bux right now! Buy buy buy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...type=10&veh=aff

E: also you'll get to take the equipment rental off your bill which is 10bux a month. Just note that you'll need a router as well if you have more than one device/want WiFi.

Yeah, I have a nice Netgear router, so I'm good on that front. I'm actually getting it specifically for the rental fee thing, since I found that you can turn off the Hotspot.

Are the refurbs good? Just wanna make sure before I drop the money right away.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
My wife and I are planning on switching to Fi from Sprint when her contract is up in a couple weeks. When we got married, we merged our Sprint accounts together (mine is under hers on a family plan since she was a Sprint customer for a few years longer than me).

When we port our numbers over, does it matter which order we port the numbers over? I figured I have to do mine first and then hers since hers is the primary.

Also, my contract isn't up until August but I have no problem eating the ETF since we'll make that money up in a month or two compared to our current plan on Sprint. Does that matter at all when porting?

Finally, she already has a 6P with Sprint. (I still have an LG G3 so I'll have to get a new phone) I assume we'll have to get a new SIM card for her phone? Is there a way for us to get that before switching? Also, if I get my phone from anywhere but Google, will I also have to go and get a Fi SIM for it as well or will it come with the phone?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dayne posted:

When we port our numbers over, does it matter which order we port the numbers over? I figured I have to do mine first and then hers since hers is the primary. ...
It doesn't matter what order they're ported in. If the primary line drops off an account another line becomes the primary line.

quote:

Also, my contract isn't up until August but I have no problem eating the ETF since we'll make that money up in a month or two compared to our current plan on Sprint. Does that matter at all when porting?
So long as you're not past due on anything you can port out without issue. The ETF will show up on your last bill from sprint.

quote:

Finally, she already has a 6P with Sprint. (I still have an LG G3 so I'll have to get a new phone) I assume we'll have to get a new SIM card for her phone? Is there a way for us to get that before switching? Also, if I get my phone from anywhere but Google, will I also have to go and get a Fi SIM for it as well or will it come with the phone?
You'll need a sim for her phone, you should in theory be able to order it ahead of time and just slip it into the phone when you're ready to switch. As for ordering the phone from aynwhere else than the fi store I'm not sure, I ordered mine from them when I signed up.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you don't order from Fi, you'll have to order a Fi SIM.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you don't order from Fi, you'll have to order a Fi SIM.

And it's worth noting that order from Fi means the actual Fi store NOT the Google Play store - even if you order from the latter you won't get a Fi SIM. The stores look the same and all but they are not.

Yes, I found this out the hard way myself. Fortunately Google will ship you a Fi SIM for free and they are pretty quick about it so just do that ahead of time.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Well, lesson learned about keeping the 6p in my back pocket when sitting- I managed to bend it enough that the thin metal bezel around the volume buttons popped out. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back into place with some pliers, but the phone has a slight curve in it. Oops!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Only has 8 downstream channels meaning it's already obsolete for some packages, no? It maxes out at 100 down on TWC, you have to have 16 downstream for higher (at least on TWC).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Sub Rosa posted:

Only has 8 downstream channels meaning it's already obsolete for some packages, no? It maxes out at 100 down on TWC, you have to have 16 downstream for higher (at least on TWC).

Do people anywhere actually get 100 down? That seems like a fantasy to me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tots posted:

Absolutely. Comcast sell 105, 150 and 200Mbps plans for regular cable, and 505 or 2Gbps fiber to the premises/home.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tots posted:

I don't know what backwoods you live in :) but lots of people do now, yes. Hell I can even get (claimed) gigabit in my little corner of the woods now, if I wanted it. I am happy with 200, which requires more than 8 channels as well.

The Arris model people should buy these days, at a minimum, is the 6183, not the 6141. The latter will limit you in the future, or the present if you have more than 8/4 channels.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

8 channels is 343 Mbps, no? I certainly get over 100 with mine.

But if there's something better, definitely go with that!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tots posted:

I have Google Fiber to go with my Google Fi.

So yes.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Tots posted:

I get pretty close. I have the 6141 and regularly get 97-99 with TWC. Now, I will say that it will just randomly decides "Nah, you get 1 down" and I have to reboot. I think this was a known problem but I was in a bind and needed a modem quickly. I really wanted I think the 6183? It was new at the time (a year ago).

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Release-Unicorn-Premium-Protective/dp/B015XA94OY Just got this in for my 5x and I love it. Add's maybe 1mm bulk on the sides and the textured edge makes grabbing onto it a breeze. The fit is great, port cutouts are great, and the buttons are still easily manipulated and not mushy.Outstanding case.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

So yes.

Same :hfive:

8one6
May 20, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

So yes.

Google Fiber stops about 5 miles down the road from me.
:smith:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would move.

We bought this house during the sign up period here, so I was actually signed up for a house I didn't own for a couple weeks.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I have an odd problem with my new Fi Nexus 6P, but I'm not sure if it is down to Fi or the phone.

In my office I normally get Sprint at about half bars (and work wifi). But whenever I arrive every morning, the phone won't stay connected to the cellular network. It appears to establish a connection, then drop it, then re-establish it again very quickly -- within a second or two. And it does this constantly. On, off, on, off, on, off. Unsurprisingly this chews through battery like crazy, and it continues until I power-cycle the phone. Once it reboots, it connects as normal and I have no problems.

Any ideas? It's not crippling, but it's a bit inconvenient to have to reboot my phone every time I get to work.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I have poo poo reception in my office and I just leave airplane mode on to prevent battery drain. This has 0 impact on Fi due to hangouts integration and calls over wifi.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

withoutclass posted:

I have poo poo reception in my office and I just leave airplane mode on to prevent battery drain. This has 0 impact on Fi due to hangouts integration and calls over wifi.

The reception's OK, though. I don't think that is the problem.

edit: which is to say, I guess I could do that, but I would rather not have to.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If you toggle airplane mode on/off does it fix the issue?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

withoutclass posted:

If you toggle airplane mode on/off does it fix the issue?

No.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Got my 5X, the number transfer from T-Mobile was pretty seamless. Except now I'm not getting a mobile data connection, where on my previous phone I was. Is there something I'm missing or should I contact support? I just activated last afternoon.

Crunkjuice posted:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Release-Unicorn-Premium-Protective/dp/B015XA94OY Just got this in for my 5x and I love it. Add's maybe 1mm bulk on the sides and the textured edge makes grabbing onto it a breeze. The fit is great, port cutouts are great, and the buttons are still easily manipulated and not mushy.Outstanding case.

I was thinking about getting this but I think I'll wait just a little bit for the price to drop. Does it come with a built-in screen protector?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I was thinking about getting this but I think I'll wait just a little bit for the price to drop. Does it come with a built-in screen protector?

Unfortunately no.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I bought the 5X using the Fi promotion, I activated service on 4/2, and I just paused service today. The Fi promotion only specified you had to activate service, not keep service for 30 days right? Just making sure I didn't gently caress myself.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Crunkjuice posted:

Unfortunately no.
My mom, who bought a 5X about a week after I did, got what I think is the "PRO" version of that with the belt clip holster and it's the two-piece kind with a built-in screen protector. It looks pretty similar from the back but reminds me more of an Otterbox Defender -- hard shell, rubbery skin around the edges. Adds a little more bulk than I think Crunkjuice describes but it seems very sturdy if that's your main concern. And you can of course just not use the holster if, unlike her, you care about not looking like a huge dork.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Valicious posted:

I bought the 5X using the Fi promotion, I activated service on 4/2, and I just paused service today. The Fi promotion only specified you had to activate service, not keep service for 30 days right? Just making sure I didn't gently caress myself.

Is the risk worth the 10 dollars you're going to save by pausing? Just pay for a month of service and throw the SIM away.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
So I've discovered a flaw in the way Fi functions. I travel internationally a lot for work and I'm starting to get lots of international charges show up on my bill despite always making sure I'm on wifi. Well, what is happening is Fi is "optimizing" my connection and determining (behind the scenes of course) that my wifi isnt good enough for a voice call and switching me over to Cellular without notifying me, which then starts racking up a bill at .20/min. So a call that started out as a free call back to the US on wifi can quickly become a $10 phone call without you even knowing it. Only workaround is to turn off your cell radio before making a call.

I've been messing with it a little and on wifi networks where I can make a full video/audio facetime call on my ipad without any hiccups, Goggle Fi is deciding its not good enough for voip, so I'd say its fair to say their algorithm needs some work.

I'll probably just be switching to whatsapp or something for voip calls until they majorly rework their system.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Airplane mode doesn't fix this?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Greasy noted that airplane mode should work, but their point is you shouldn't have to do that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
.29GB for the first month. Normal use minus occasionally streaming music while I drive. Not bad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I found out today it's only $140 for me to kill my at & t contract 5 months early, in order to save about $50 a month, so I'm making the switch after they announce the new phones in a few weeks.
Anyone transferred numbers with at&t? Do you sign up to fi first or cancel your current line before hitting up the Google website?
Never switched providers before...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Porting out usually terminates your contract and triggers the ETF with every carrier I've used. You never have to speak or interact with the carrier you're leaving if you don't want to. Doing so would just cause you endless frustration with their detentions department, no doubt. You'll just get a final bill after you port out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are people assuming new phones are coming at Google I/O? Nexuses have typically been in the fall. More likely they'll launch a new tablet or two.

8one6
May 20, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I found out today it's only $140 for me to kill my at & t contract 5 months early, in order to save about $50 a month, so I'm making the switch after they announce the new phones in a few weeks.
Anyone transferred numbers with at&t? Do you sign up to fi first or cancel your current line before hitting up the Google website?
Never switched providers before...

Switch to fi first. The porting process will auto cancel your att account if it's the only line on there.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

the current Nexus's haven't been in the wild long enough and you haven't seen big enough price drops to think that a new version is coming in the next couple months...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I read an article that said they'll either announce the new ones or price drop the old ones at a talk on the 18th, was the first I'd heard of it.
So I should just switch over now?

Great news about the porting processs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
As Endless Mike says new Nexus phones are usually in the fall, like the last bunch.

The 6p has always been a fantastic phone and the 5x is now good after a number of updates. If you see either for $50 off or whatever snatch it up, no point in waiting, there's always something better right around the corner but in this case it's not a month or two away.