Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What are things you should keep in mind when setting up a Demon game (COD version)? Addendum: if you've played Demon and feel like being a sounding board for a few hypotheticals, let me know. Want to know if my ideas are making sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Basic Chunnel posted:

What are things you should keep in mind when setting up a Demon game (COD version)? Addendum: if you've played Demon and feel like being a sounding board for a few hypotheticals, let me know. Want to know if my ideas are making sense

What kind of game you putting together? I obv turned out to be too flakey for the PbP thing but you're still probably the best ST I ever had, so if you're looking for players for a roll20 chronicle or something like that I am so all ears that cochleas are spontaneously forming in my soft tissues.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

By all means, please use the thread as a sounding board. Some of the best pages are just when people are working out good stuff going on in their games.

A couple sample points to keep in mind for Demon:

• The God-Machine is neither monolithic nor invulnerable. Its scope is vast, but it's important not to let that detract from letting your players strike and maintain lasting victories. All of its power is contained in the people, systems and objects that comprise it, and its infrastructure isn't interchangeable. It's vulnerable to cascade failures and to its own infrastructure working at cross-purposes, the same way that different departments in a company might get into a feud for resources or influence that harms the company as a whole. Most occult matrices depend on complicated confluences that exploit rare conditions. If the God-Machine tries to exert psychic influence over a state by erecting five special ritual obelisks, and the ring destroys the obelisks under construction, it usually can't just move operations one town over and try building the obelisks again. The stars were only right for a brief window. It had to be then, not now.
  • Don't nitpick compromise risks. A demon's Cover circumscribes what she can do safely to an extent, but it's not a straitjacket. Behavior that prompts a risk of compromise has to be a gross contradiction of the Cover's nature, not just odd or out of sorts. Something that even only a passing acquaintence would see them do and know, immediately, that something is wrong here. When a risk of compromise does come down, let it come down hard.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If the God-machine was monolithic and invulnerable Demons wouldn't exist in the first place.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

The biggest hurdle is coming up with a way to get the ring together. Of you course you could always tell them to cook that up, but even then it's still a hell of problem given how intensely paranoid demons are. Also expect your players to see everything as part of some grand scheme no matter how minuscule it seems.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Rubix Squid posted:

The biggest hurdle is coming up with a way to get the ring together. Of you course you could always tell them to cook that up,

Which you absolutely should. Do chargen with a sense of what ties the characters together and gets them cooperating. Could be a common goal, mutual interests in protecting X, or sheer naked practicality, but it helps to have a sense of what flavor of Demon game you're running influence who the demons are.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

• The God-Machine is neither monolithic nor invulnerable. Its scope is vast, but it's important not to let that detract from letting your players strike and maintain lasting victories. All of its power is contained in the people, systems and objects that comprise it, and its infrastructure isn't interchangeable. It's vulnerable to cascade failures and to its own infrastructure working at cross-purposes, the same way that different departments in a company might get into a feud for resources or influence that harms the company as a whole. Most occult matrices depend on complicated confluences that exploit rare conditions. If the God-Machine tries to exert psychic influence over a state by erecting five special ritual obelisks, and the ring destroys the obelisks under construction, it usually can't just move operations one town over and try building the obelisks again. The stars were only right for a brief window. It had to be then, not now.
  • Don't nitpick compromise risks. A demon's Cover circumscribes what she can do safely to an extent, but it's not a straitjacket. Behavior that prompts a risk of compromise has to be a gross contradiction of the Cover's nature, not just odd or out of sorts. Something that even only a passing acquaintence would see them do and know, immediately, that something is wrong here. When a risk of compromise does come down, let it come down hard.

To add to this::

It is usually best to keep exactly what the God Machine is trying to do utterly mysterious to the players. It can be useful for you to know as an ST and maybe offer it up if one of the players digs around in it enough, but at the end of the day the God Machine is a literal Deus Ex Machina. It's very interesting to think about and less interesting the more you have to explain it. The X-Files are a great example of this. The more you learn about the conspiracy the less interesting it becomes. Granted you can fight this somewhat by making the conspiracies increasingly complex.

I find the best games are the ones where somebody doesn't just write, "The God Machine did it" on a napkin and call it done. Involve people, angels, and mundane conspiratorial concerns in your game. A coverup or conspiracy serves the needs of the God Machine but it should ideally serve the mundane needs of humans as well in order to give it weight.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Ferrinus posted:

What I'm not seeing is any indication that the theoretical existence of werewolves is responsible for this.

I got nothing to back this beyond something I read waaaay back and can no longer find, so I'll drop it.

Regardless, I still think trying to balance between splats is silly as a concept, but the topic seems to have moved on from that, so...

This is from the Monday Meeting Notes. I'm looking at it and trying to figure out what that spell is supposed to be.

The central rune is Prime Unveiling. Left is Life. Top is Ruling Spirit. Right is Weaving Fate. Bottom is Unraveling Death.

Any guesses as to just what kind of spell that is?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Axelgear posted:

I got nothing to back this beyond something I read waaaay back and can no longer find, so I'll drop it.

Regardless, I still think trying to balance between splats is silly as a concept, but the topic seems to have moved on from that, so...

This is from the Monday Meeting Notes. I'm looking at it and trying to figure out what that spell is supposed to be.

The central rune is Prime Unveiling. Left is Life. Top is Ruling Spirit. Right is Weaving Fate. Bottom is Unraveling Death.

Ascension? Maybe not in the capital-A "Mage the" sense, but that to me sounds like "transcending death by revealing magical truth".

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Axelgear posted:

That sounds an awful lot like some species of resurrection to me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So V20 Black Hand is out.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Shamelessly gonna plug the new Chronicles of Darkness podcast we have spinoff from Darker Days Radio.

http://networkzero.podbean.com/e/network-zero-1/

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

dr_ether posted:

Shamelessly gonna plug the new Chronicles of Darkness podcast we have spinoff from Darker Days Radio.

http://networkzero.podbean.com/e/network-zero-1/

I'll give it a listen. Wanted to say that the stuff you guys did about Rose Bailey sitting down and really nailing down pregnancy in Demon was good stuff, and the on-site report of End of the Line added to the other reports I've heard about that scene.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Was anyone, anywhere asking for another book about the True Black Hand?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gtrmp posted:

Was anyone, anywhere asking for another book about the True Black Hand?

*Raises Hand*

The Black Hand is awesomely stupid.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

*Raises Hand*

The Black Hand is awesomely stupid.
Yeah if they're going to lean into anything OWoDdy I'd rather get more ridiculous stupid over-the-top spirit world vampire secret society of the true chessmasters of the great game with special snowflake powers stuff than like...CtD20.

Note that I'm saying this sight unseen of TBH20 so it'd entirely possible that an M20-style Brucato-ing kinda thing might've happened to it, but for the moment: Heck yeah.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
This is actually very timely for the V20 chronicle I'm playing in. We're just starting to get to grips with the Tal'Mahe'Ra, now that they've come out of the woodwork to offer their help to us directly. That's assuming we survive the Nexus Crawler that's bearing down on us.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Reading through it and so far I like it. It's oWoD as gently caress but in the good way. Also, the TBH wants to infiltrate Terrel and Squib from Orpheus and that is wonderful.

EDIT:
oWoD as gently caress.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

What kind of game you putting together? I obv turned out to be too flakey for the PbP thing but you're still probably the best ST I ever had, so if you're looking for players for a roll20 chronicle or something like that I am so all ears that cochleas are spontaneously forming in my soft tissues.
Thank you! PbP games just kind of burn out to a greater degree than other kinds, it's just how it is.

I like Demon, I don't know precisely how one would go about STing a game but I intend to find out. My initial plan was to plot a normal WoD game (since that's what I default to, usually) with the players as mortals who are unwitting agents / flies in the ointment for either the GM or some demons or both. The problem with that is the power imbalance between NPCs and PCs and age-old issue of how to play through concepts like glamouring or illusion when the player's on the receiving end. The easiest thing would just entail not introducing those things at all, but you end up with the question of why they aren't in play and, well.

That said, it's probably more fun to give players modest power and see what they do with it against enemies with awesome power than give players no power against modest power. I just have to come up with a plot that's Demon-worthy...

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I know almost nothing about Demon or the God-Machine specifically, but I've always been a fan of giving a man a hammer. Not only is it fun, giving players that edge (and perhaps more importantly, get out of jail free card) could open up the possibility of really digging into the esoteric weirdness, if for no other reason than having a slightly longer life expectancy to work with.

That's probably what I'd personally go for in a Demon chronicle; dig, dig, dig. The God-Machine is up to something monumentally hosed up and weird; you don't know what it is but you're at ground zero, so you better find out before you run out of friends.

Also when I asked 'what kind' of game you were planning I mostly meant how you'd be running it. I want in, but if you're throwing it together for your local group translatlantic flights are a bit of a rough commut :v:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Loomer posted:

Reading through it and so far I like it. It's oWoD as gently caress but in the good way. Also, the TBH wants to infiltrate Terrel and Squib from Orpheus and that is wonderful.

EDIT:
oWoD as gently caress.

Oh amazing! I kinda can't believe T&S are still around in the modern day without imploding, but it warms my heart to see Orpheus corps get referenced.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
All in all, it's a solid book. It confirms a lot of theories, denies other, introduces more, and throws some neat tidbits in too. From my perspective with the Project, the Nagaraja ultimately stemming from Setite blood is very interesting, and I like how they reconciled the V20 Dark Ages take on Kiasyd with the older material: There were once many Kiasyd, then Marconius got too big for his britches and killed every Kiasayd he didn't sire, and now there are only the Marconian Kiasyd - save for a bunch of Kiasyd refugees in hiding called the Maeghar. The history is vague and messy but that's nothing new.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Loomer posted:

I like how they reconciled the V20 Dark Ages take on Kiasyd with the older material: There were once many Kiasyd, then Marconius got too big for his britches and killed every Kiasayd he didn't sire, and now there are only the Marconian Kiasyd - save for a bunch of Kiasyd refugees in hiding called the Maeghar. The history is vague and messy but that's nothing new.

I wonder how this will impact Lore of the Bloodlines which was a LotC stretch goal. IIRC the Kiasyd were one of the last clans added.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

I know almost nothing about Demon or the God-Machine specifically, but I've always been a fan of giving a man a hammer. Not only is it fun, giving players that edge (and perhaps more importantly, get out of jail free card) could open up the possibility of really digging into the esoteric weirdness, if for no other reason than having a slightly longer life expectancy to work with.

That's probably what I'd personally go for in a Demon chronicle; dig, dig, dig. The God-Machine is up to something monumentally hosed up and weird; you don't know what it is but you're at ground zero, so you better find out before you run out of friends.

Also when I asked 'what kind' of game you were planning I mostly meant how you'd be running it. I want in, but if you're throwing it together for your local group translatlantic flights are a bit of a rough commut :v:
I'd definitely be down for Roll20, though I've never used it before and will need to go through a tutorial or two I imagine

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd definitely be down for Roll20, though I've never used it before and will need to go through a tutorial or two I imagine

It's pretty simple, at least if you keep the character sheets elsewhere and don't rely much on the battle grid, which seems like the way to go with WoD.

Thinking about it, you could probably play WoD with just about any combination of voice chat and dice roller (ability to show pictures and play music appreciated but optional) so if you're already comfortable with Hangouts or whatever you might as well go with that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anyplace with a music upload tool, I'm into. I could try to game soundcloud so that I don't have to use generic stuff with roll20 but ehhh

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyplace with a music upload tool, I'm into. I could try to game soundcloud so that I don't have to use generic stuff with roll20 but ehhh

When I was trying to set up a game like this way back, I used a Grooveshark radio station. I never got to try it live, but based on my testing it would've done the job.

On that note, I feel like a lot of people really underestimate the importance of good mood music. Especially in an atmospheric game like WoD, a carefully curated and applied soundtrack can turn a good session into a straight-up transcendent experience.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Loomer posted:

EDIT:
oWoD as gently caress.

Is that an illustration from the book? I wasn't expecting a minor Junji Ito work to show up in an Onyx Path book. Not that I'm complaining.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Terrorforge posted:

When I was trying to set up a game like this way back, I used a Grooveshark radio station. I never got to try it live, but based on my testing it would've done the job.

On that note, I feel like a lot of people really underestimate the importance of good mood music. Especially in an atmospheric game like WoD, a carefully curated and applied soundtrack can turn a good session into a straight-up transcendent experience.

It's hard because I don't kno wa lot of music that I can do for scenes where it's mostly interpersonal interaction, or investigation things, and also that I run my games over IRC. I /wish/ I could do soundtrack easier, but it can get really difficult.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Neopie posted:

It's hard because I don't kno wa lot of music that I can do for scenes where it's mostly interpersonal interaction, or investigation things, and also that I run my games over IRC. I /wish/ I could do soundtrack easier, but it can get really difficult.

You don't have to do music at all times. It's fine to turn it off when people are just talking or shopping or whatever. In fact, I think it's preferable because it let's you use the music as a subtle "poo poo is getting real" cue.

The IRC thing is harder, natch, but you could still use e.g. a Grooveshark station. As long as everyone has it open in another browser, they'll be hearing the same music. They can be paused, too, so no problem there.

As for actual tracks, the friends who turned me on to this used soundtracks from the various pre-HL2 Half-life games to great effect.

e: by "poo poo is getting real" I don't just mean action stuff. For examples, in my games with the aforementioned friends, there was a mysterious stranger who would follow us around and just show up sometimes, often just to talk. When he did, the GM would play a particular melancholy song as his "theme", which really helped lend significance to his appearances.

You don't need to have anything playing while the character is just rummaging through a room. When she pulls aside the bookshelf and finds the runes, on the other hand...

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 10, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

roll20 lets you embed music in it, and it's got a good persistent dice-roller so you can see rolls from older sessions. The live games I've done used Skype for voice and roll20 for the dice roller and ability to paste pictures and write stuff everyone can see. I've never played a game that cared about the grid feature, it doesn't usually get in the way. (FATE and Apoc-world are what I've used it for.)

I want to play Demon too! :shobon:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I Am Just a Box posted:

Is that an illustration from the book? I wasn't expecting a minor Junji Ito work to show up in an Onyx Path book. Not that I'm complaining.

That is indeed from the book.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
So I've been pulled into my local Underground Theater group. After two games I've already encountered a shell game of ooc power plays, a charterer suiciding himself because he refused to listen to both the Anarch Advocate and Constable explain that we was interpreting a negative social status as way mellower then he was interpreting it, Project Twilight being the most reasonable people in the room, several masquerade breaches while PT was in the neighborhood.

Right now I'm holed up in an immense fallout shelter owned by doomsday prepper turned Noiad until the fuzz calms down.

It's about what I've expected, though it does sort of feel like the friend group who pulled me into this are going out of their way to disrupt the overly romantic classical Cam game with our goofy rear end characters, according to the STs though it's all for the better.

Anybody else have much UT experience? Do we have a different thread for it?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Doodmons posted:

This is actually very timely for the V20 chronicle I'm playing in. We're just starting to get to grips with the Tal'Mahe'Ra, now that they've come out of the woodwork to offer their help to us directly. That's assuming we survive the Nexus Crawler that's bearing down on us.

Spoiler Alert: they did not survive the nexus crawler.

Next week we start playing Dracula Dossier!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, I spend a lot of time coming up with campaign premises that I never get to run. I never did get to run that Werewolf: the Wyld West Jojo-styled game. But I was thinking about it again, and it might be more fun if the PCs are humans with powers instead of Werewolves.

Here's the logic: Wyld West has the Storm Umbra, super chaotic spirit world where sometimes reality just breaks as Wyld and Weaver clash. In fact, major antagonists are things created when spirits are violently merged with things or creatures (or humans) from the material world. With the spirit world so close and dynamic, I thought you could get a less evil version of Fomori/Claimed. Basically, a pact between a Spirit and a Human (the Spirit replacing the Stand in the Jojo metaphor). As for how it would work, what I got so far is that it would sort of work like a Personal totem, giving the Totem benefit and giving access to Spirit Charms. So I'd use the normal Hunter Hunted mortal creation rules and then give some free points (5 sounds about right) for a Totem that they can then empower by spending more points on it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Anti-Citizen posted:

So I've been pulled into my local Underground Theater group. After two games I've already encountered a shell game of ooc power plays, a charterer suiciding himself because he refused to listen to both the Anarch Advocate and Constable explain that we was interpreting a negative social status as way mellower then he was interpreting it, Project Twilight being the most reasonable people in the room, several masquerade breaches while PT was in the neighborhood.

Right now I'm holed up in an immense fallout shelter owned by doomsday prepper turned Noiad until the fuzz calms down.

It's about what I've expected, though it does sort of feel like the friend group who pulled me into this are going out of their way to disrupt the overly romantic classical Cam game with our goofy rear end characters, according to the STs though it's all for the better.

Anybody else have much UT experience? Do we have a different thread for it?

This sounds a lot more fun than the million Camarilla house rules I've seen MES games focus on.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Nifara posted:

Spoiler Alert: they did not survive the nexus crawler.

Next week we start playing Dracula Dossier!

Only 75% casualties. Although honestly, you'd think a bunch of vampires having a sword fight with a Nexus crawler in a sea of on-fire white phosphorous would be more instantly fatal than that. For the record: Fortitude 8, Aegis of Shadows and spess mehreen armour combined mean that a vampire can happily sword-fight while wading up to his chest in ignited white phosphorous. Aggravated damage is for scrubs. Scrubs without twenty four dice of aggravated damage soak and Juggernaut's Gait on top of that.

Edit: Masquerade is a street level game about personal horror, though. Obviously.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Literal 40K armor or just an equivalent?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kavak posted:

Literal 40K armor or just an equivalent?

We got the Domina of the Camarilla to steal a Technocracy weapons cache for us, which contained sci-fi space marine armour and some ray guns. They came vaguely in handy. Certainly more useful than the Tal'Mahe'Ra True Brujah who came with us - although I guess I got to borrow his sword so I didn't have to use one of the spirit klaives that the party Tremere made - they made a comical "whoooo" noise when you swung them, and I was way too grimdark for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, is Leviathan any good? Somebody pimped it in F&F when we were talking about Beast and it got me interested.