Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Megalixir posted:

Am I alone in thinking FFX is a really bad, depressing game with bad combat bgm? I couldn't finish it at release and I can't even watch it now. I think I could take any after 6 over it, excluding MMOs because you can't beat those.

I feel you're overreacting with regards to the BGM, and I'm not sure what you mean by "depressing". In the end it's going to be different strokes for different folks, but you should go more into depth about what turned you off so much from it if you want to say anything more than "it wasn't my kind of thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Dias posted:

I'd take X over VIII in a heartbeat, also probably over XIII. It's not atrocious, but it's far from my favorite. It's dumb as gently caress (for both good and bad) and the aeon system was pretty cool back in the day. Also the team switching back and forth. It has nothing on the true masterpiece that is FFX-2 tho.

Whoops I totally forgot about 13/-2/-3 and yeah they're not great. Well LR is OK I guess? 15 looks flashy but so did 13 and if it winds up the same then gently caress it.

8 I probably wouldn't watch either, I was like 12 and Rinoa was floating around in space and I didn't know what the gently caress was going on so I turned the game off

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

that is an auspicious thumbnail on the new vessel ffx

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Megalixir posted:

8 I probably wouldn't watch either,

Well you should :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJB-ylRWiI

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Megalixir posted:

Am I alone in thinking FFX is a really bad, depressing game with bad combat bgm? I couldn't finish it at release and I can't even watch it now. I think I could take any after 6 over it, excluding MMOs because you can't beat those.

literally every opinion possible about the final fantasy series is present on the internet why would you think you're the only person who doesn't like X

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also matt and pat are not making fun of chinese/black people they're making fun of how every single accent in DEHR is racist as holy gently caress

you'd think their constant discussion of latisha and "HOW DID THIS MAKE IT IN?!" made that clear

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 7, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

also matt and pat are not making fun of chinese/bklack people they're making fun of how every single accent in DEHR is racist as holy gently caress

you'd think their constant discussion of latisha and "HOW DID THIS MAKE IT IN?!" made that clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DEHR is like half a step above this most of the time and I was about to say "in an era where that is not acceptable" but it really wasn't acceptable back when the original came out either! That poo poo is terrible!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Full Confession: I went straight from a replay of the original to my first playthrough of HR on release so when I got to Hengsha I was like "Wow, this is way better than it used to be! :downs:"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have been playing the original Deus Ex, well, mostly because of this playthrough reminding me I lost the last two playthroughs of it I tried, and the little kid who works for the Triads is the loving best. A little Bobby Hill in Hong Kong extorting chinese caricatures of their newspaper money.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

for real though let's say Pat's right and it really is just some Quebecois people who don't know (how do you not know), did NOBODY give that poo poo a second pass!?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phantasium posted:

I have been playing the original Deus Ex, well, mostly because of this playthrough reminding me I lost the last two playthroughs of it I tried, and the little kid who works for the Triads is the loving best. A little Bobby Hill in Hong Kong extorting chinese caricatures of their newspaper money.

stick him with the prod

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

for real though let's say Pat's right and it really is just some Quebecois people who don't know (how do you not know), did NOBODY give that poo poo a second pass!?

yeah that's what they said a couple of episodes ago. There were multiple rooms full of people that went "yep that sounds good!" and signed off on it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah that's what they said a couple of episodes ago. There were multiple rooms full of people that went "yep that sounds good!" and signed off on it

I know they said it a couple episodes ago. Everyone was saying it when it came out too! It does not make anymore sense now than it did at the time!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

stick him with the prod

I prefer gassing crowds with gas grenades and then cutting them down with my laser sword.

And the time the police realized I robbed the quick e mart about four story beats after when I did it so when I have to go back to the club I have to do it invisibly.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Go down to maddentown and scrape up the dregs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Matt's making his wife stream while he hunts a melting ice cream cookies.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
hey so i made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xow-nivbR_s

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I chortled when uncle Ben pulled a piece.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

this is great!

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

FauxGateau posted:

I chortled when uncle Ben pulled a piece.

Al-Saqr posted:

this is great!

Thanks guys, glad you liked it!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

This is hilarious, and the lip sync is amazingly well done. Great jeorb!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

YF-23 posted:

I feel you're overreacting with regards to the BGM, and I'm not sure what you mean by "depressing". In the end it's going to be different strokes for different folks, but you should go more into depth about what turned you off so much from it if you want to say anything more than "it wasn't my kind of thing".

It has been over 10 years but from what I can remember:

- puzzle rooms every second hour for no real reason
- OST vastly inferior to 9
- you could grind junk enemies for maxing the summon gauge, save, and absolutely destroy whatever's next with which I found game-breaking
- the entire plot revolves around literally "going" to die, which is what I meant by "depressing", and an angsty teenager who has to kill his father because Jecht became Sin or something like that? which I only discovered years later because I actually dropped the game during some mountain area
- character models look different to their CG. I never understood why Tidus looks Asian in cutscenes but white in character models

Well that's it I guess. I briefly considered the HD remaster but apparently they completely redid the OST so I lost interest again.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Megalixir posted:

It has been over 10 years but from what I can remember:

- puzzle rooms every second hour for no real reason
- OST vastly inferior to 9
- you could grind junk enemies for maxing the summon gauge, save, and absolutely destroy whatever's next with which I found game-breaking
- the entire plot revolves around literally "going" to die, which is what I meant by "depressing", and an angsty teenager who has to kill his father because Jecht became Sin or something like that? which I only discovered years later because I actually dropped the game during some mountain area
- character models look different to their CG. I never understood why Tidus looks Asian in cutscenes but white in character models

Well that's it I guess. I briefly considered the HD remaster but apparently they completely redid the OST so I lost interest again.

Why would you lose interest if they redid the OST that you hated? Wouldn't new music make you more interested, if you thought the soundtrack was so flawed?

I mostly agree with your complaints, they're all more or less accurate. The soundtrack is forgettable except for a couple tracks, all the trials are garbage, there is a way to trivialize all but maybe 2 boss fights in the game, the plot does have a melancholy overtone, and there are some off-model issues. The puzzle sections are easily the biggest fun-killer, but they're not as frequent as you are saying. They still suck though, and I don't blame anyone who dropped the game because of them. Ultimately, I think it's just these issues clearly bothered you way more than they bothered most people, and I was able to like FFX despite these problems.

One thing you're wrong about is by the time you have enough summons to scum out boss fights, you would have already learned the thing you spoiler tagged, so I doubt you were paying much attention to the game if you missed that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Every Final fantasy is really loving easy if you know even a bit what you are doing.

Also, the OST is actually really good (just like pretty much every other FF).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 8, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I watched Pat play SFV today. He is...not that good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like most of pat's lines in the punisher LP could be a subtitle

The Punisher LP: That Level Of Violence Makes Me Uncomfortable

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the OST is kinda forgettable, it hits a homerun with To Zanarkand but other than that, eh. It doesn't help that I really like its predecessor's OST.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This is v good

If you're practicing your animation chops, do more!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Andrast posted:

Every Final fantasy is really loving easy if you know even a bit what you are doing.

This.

FFV was one of the first JRPGs I've played and it wrecked my poo poo. But I replayed it last year and had no problems beating it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Did you do that thing where you shotguned for Bare Handed ASAP?

That destroys early FFV

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

No, my early game was pretty standard, I was trying to get into the groove. I think I went for the classic Dual Wield + Rapid Fire approach later on.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

hoobajoo posted:

Why would you lose interest if they redid the OST that you hated? Wouldn't new music make you more interested, if you thought the soundtrack was so flawed?

I mostly agree with your complaints, they're all more or less accurate. The soundtrack is forgettable except for a couple tracks, all the trials are garbage, there is a way to trivialize all but maybe 2 boss fights in the game, the plot does have a melancholy overtone, and there are some off-model issues. The puzzle sections are easily the biggest fun-killer, but they're not as frequent as you are saying. They still suck though, and I don't blame anyone who dropped the game because of them. Ultimately, I think it's just these issues clearly bothered you way more than they bothered most people, and I was able to like FFX despite these problems.

One thing you're wrong about is by the time you have enough summons to scum out boss fights, you would have already learned the thing you spoiler tagged, so I doubt you were paying much attention to the game if you missed that.

I looked it up, I stopped at Mount Gagazet. I think? I sure hope there aren't any other Mounts in the game. I was definitely far enough to use summon gauges sparingly to a point where I could just wreck the next enemy.

I might have picked up the HD version if it had dual audio but it didn't. Oh and what we had of a story was screwed up by a drama CD/audiobook novel thing, did that actually get released? I don't remember.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Megalixir posted:

I might have picked up the HD version if it had dual audio but it didn't. Oh and what we had of a story was screwed up by a drama CD/audiobook novel thing, did that actually get released? I don't remember.

You literally don't know the story so why do you care

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

And the ffx dub is actually perfect

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

I looked it up, I stopped at Mount Gagazet. I think? I sure hope there aren't any other Mounts in the game. I was definitely far enough to use summon gauges sparingly to a point where I could just wreck the next enemy.

The japanese voice acting in FFX is a lot worse than the english one by the way.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Ruggington posted:

And the ffx dub is actually perfect

Now that we've had the final fantasy argument again, can we have the dub vs sub argument again?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Now that we've had the final fantasy argument again, can we have the dub vs sub argument again?

*loudly cracks knuckles*

let me tell you about nier

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
4Kids did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also chiming in to say this is pretty great.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

4Kids did nothing wrong

If it wasn't for 4kids, we wouldn't have "donuts" and drying pans.