Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a feeling my 2010 GTI is right on the corner of becoming a 6-7 year old car and requiring real maintenance, but I really don't want to replace it this year. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Now is a good time to buy a first gen Vanquish. Prices are only going to go up

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

So yeah, if anyone has a ballpark number for what it'll cost to do a timing belt service on a 1MZ-FE.. :allears: or at least knows what book labor for the job is. It's going to a shop for this, I don't trust myself to do a timing belt on this thing.

I'm in a similar oil-hemorrhaging boat. I bought a coworker's Camry with a leaky 1MZ-FE. He offered to have his shop do the valve cover gaskets and T-belt (because there's oil on the belt cover and we can't be sure if it's only external) for $700 which sounded like a pretty good price... but they did the T-belt 20k ago so who knows how complete that job would be.

I filled up a RockAuto cart with almost everything I would need (and a few extras t-stat, radiator hoses) from 'good brands' and it was a hair under $400. I would also want to order new valve cover bolts (integrated seal/washer things) so that would probably add another $30+ from the dealer.

Do the job and take lots of pictures so I can pick your brain when I get around to doing it myself in May.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

In a week's time, you'll be posting that you know the other guy too.

It doesn't even have to be something massively collectible. A half-decent Miata or similar will likely hold value pretty well, same with a lot of generic daily-driver type cars at the bottom end of the market. Generally, once you're in the territory of value being about what it is/does and condition, rather than age or mileage, you're probably fairly safe.

It will hold a MINIMUM of value, but not original re-sale, which is what half these Criagslist fucks think they will get.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

I wasn't planning on selling the Mazda2, but it was a Great Little Car.
Fixed :colbert:

Also low resale value was brought up as a plus as you can buy em cheap.

It does mean that with half the loan paid off with 0%, I'm just barely in the black though.

nm fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 8, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Caro is alive pass it on

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Caro is alive pass it on

Probably way more mentally hosed than before, considering what we know about those camps...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So over the weekend I was checking out my Civic and realized the PO took the reverse light bulbs out. A smarter man than me would have investigated instead of just putting new bulbs in and driving around like a dong.

My buddy last night calls me and is like "hey btw when you were over here your reverse lights were on when you were in first, and off when you were in reverse."

Time to earn my electrical engineering degree.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

InitialDave posted:

It doesn't even have to be something massively collectible. A half-decent Miata or similar will likely hold value pretty well, same with a lot of generic daily-driver type cars at the bottom end of the market. Generally, once you're in the territory of value being about what it is/does and condition, rather than age or mileage, you're probably fairly safe.

Buying cars for investment is silly. Buying cars you like with half an eye on the fact they might hold their value well is perfectly sensible. And if you're completely and utterly wrong with your prediction, you still own something you like.

This. My father bought a 944 turbo in the late 90s and a delta HF integrale in the mid 00s for dirt cheap as daily drivers, enjoyed the hell out of them, and now they are worth a packet. You can have your cake and eat it too if you buy smart. I have my eye on a 1st gen boxster for summer cruising in the same vein (I would love a Miata, but I am 6'3 and 200 pounds so they aren't very comfortable for me)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Although I'd be distraught that my wife had cheated, I probably would still take care of the child. Its not the kids fault, and I'm not going to ruin an innocents life for the crimes of my wife/girlfriend.

I like kids too, so that helps.

I think you're making it sound way easier than it would be for almost every single person in that kind of situation

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It will hold a MINIMUM of value, but not original re-sale, which is what half these Criagslist fucks think they will get.

What!? You mean I can't buy a car, add 30k miles to it over two years, and then get all of the money I paid for the car in the first place PLUS the money for the parts I put in! Ridiculous! I've made improvements therefore its worth more!

NO LOWBALLERS I NO WHAT I GOT!!!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Autonomous trackday:

http://selfracingcars.com/

(will it ever actually happen? will anyone insure this? who knows, but I'd watch it)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Autonomous trackday:

http://selfracingcars.com/

(will it ever actually happen? will anyone insure this? who knows, but I'd watch it)

Why would you watch it? After a few years of "hahaha computers think they're people" it would just be like watching one of those Forza races where the computer grinds to get money for you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why would you watch it? After a few years of "hahaha computers think they're people" it would just be like watching one of those Forza races where the computer grinds to get money for you.

I want to see computers loving up, and also lacking any sort of driver safety requirements I'd be interested in seeing what kind of cars people come up with. Hell, I'd say it would be best if there were basically no restrictions beyond "must have wheels, and won't cause too big of an explosion in a crash"... insane poo poo could be the result.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Autonomous car-sized battle bots would be incredible, especially with a racing element involved. First one to finish is all that matters. Think of all the evil poo poo you could have a driverless car do to another driverless car. Demolition derby drones.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tusen Takk posted:

Caro is alive pass it on

Holy poo poo

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I want to see computers loving up, and also lacking any sort of driver safety requirements I'd be interested in seeing what kind of cars people come up with. Hell, I'd say it would be best if there were basically no restrictions beyond "must have wheels, and won't cause too big of an explosion in a crash"... insane poo poo could be the result.

Exactly. Say you had teams of swarming autonomous cars. You could run into a situation where Team 1's B car intentionally crashes into Team 2's A car to prevent 2A from passing 1A. That kind of strategy would be pretty novel in racing, since robots don't fear death.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I think you're making it sound way easier than it would be for almost every single person in that kind of situation

No, I don't think so. Yes, you should be angry and distraught with your companion.

The child? They had no choice in this poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh great the exam I thought I aced I made some simple loving mistakes that brought it down to a 77

how much alcohol can a man consume before dying of alcohol poisoning again?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

oh great the exam I thought I aced I made some simple loving mistakes that brought it down to a 77

It's passing. C's get degrees.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

It's passing. C's get degrees.

what about jobs? my 3.0 hasn't gotten me a single reply on internship applications yet, I'm trying to bring my gpa up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

what about jobs? my 3.0 hasn't gotten me a single reply on internship applications yet, I'm trying to bring my gpa up

Internships suck all around right now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enourmo posted:

Yeah that ain't that bad dude. Especially if it is graded to a curve.

Jobs also suck. Hugely. GPA isn't thaaat important. Or so they tell me.

Also internships are a racket and companies can be way too choosy about who they pick to be their slave labor over the summer. I refuse to do them.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 8, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Responsible Automotive ADD? "I'll probably get bored of this in a year or two, but should be able to sell it for a reasonable price..."

Probably works better in places where cars don't rust out in 2 years.
This is why I like to buy sub-$1k cars. Worst case, unless I go insane and dump money into fixing them, I can really only lose a thousand bucks.

Hell, at one point I had a guy offer me 2500 bucks for my white MJ, but couldn't in good faith take it, knowing how hosed the chassis was. Other than gas (which doesn't count) I had maybe 1k-1500 into it.

It doesn't always work out though because I'm probably 600-700 into fixing the blue MJ right now (I paid $500 for it) and the end is nowhere in sight. Should be interesting to see how much I have ~~~INVESTED!!!~~~ by the time it's solid.

e: my internship at Intel paid well and got me where I am today. And I graduated with a 3.03.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 8, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Jobs also suck. Hugely. GPA isn't thaaat important. Or so they tell me.

It absolutely isn't. I've never put GPA on a resume or included it with a job application.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well drat that gives me faith in the department that constantly spams YOU NEED INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE every couple days to my inbox

guess I'll just double down on extracurriculars

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least in 2008 (yeah, I graduated into a just loving wonderful economy, with a kinda poo poo GPA) it didn't really hurt me. "Over 3" at the time got me past HR's resume holocaust, and I did fine on the interviews and stuff so I got hired.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No, I don't think so. Yes, you should be angry and distraught with your companion.

The child? They had no choice in this poo poo.

The child will be fine with his mother while you go on with your own life, finding a woman you can trust to not have a baby with another man.

You'd have to be one insecure dude to tolerate that kind of betrayal, just my opinion.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My first job out of university they asked about my GPA and I said "If I was to do it again knowing what I know now I would've done things differently" or something to that effect and that was the extent of the discussion on it.

I would've killed to get 77 on some of my exams.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And yeah lol how about the actual father of that child takes care of it. Sucks for that kid but it wouldn't be my problem.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Enourmo posted:

You're going to get rejected a lot when you're looking for an internship or job. How many applications have you put out there?

3.0 is fine. Anything below that, don't put it on your resume. Like everyone else said, doesn't matter much. I had a 2.7 or 2.8 when I graduated. You'll be fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

The child will be fine with his mother while you go on with your own life, finding a woman you can trust to not have a baby with another man.

You'd have to be one insecure dude to tolerate that kind of betrayal, just my opinion.

Maybe I just have a little more humanity for children than I do for cheating spouses.

Frankly, I don't care whose kid it is, a child doesn't deserve to be punished for something it had no control over prior to birth. I'd at least make sure it's fed or the real father takes care of it.

We have enough kids suffering to say that tossing them overboard with your disgust over your betrayal is a good plan.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mostly I'm mad cause I had an a in that class til they put the grade in this morning

I've put in about a dozen applications, maybe I just started too late for the summer semester sweet spot.

I just don't wanna end up like my old high school buddy who graduated aerospace last summer with a 2.2 and just got his first interview last month.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've been gainfully employed with rave reviews from my employer and I've been applying for jobs at the city government for over a year now and haven't heard back. Getting a job is difficult regardless of GPA.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
His mistake was not his GPA. It was getting a degree in aerospace.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

e: my internship at Intel paid well and got me where I am today. And I graduated with a 3.03.

Well my problem is that I have a HUMANITIES DEGREE so there is no such thing as a paid internship and most jobs require a degree with experience for a part time $14/hr job.

I have no regrets about my degree either. :colbert:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

leica posted:

Hell, for once I actually agree with you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've been gainfully employed with rave reviews from my employer and I've been applying for jobs at the city government for over a year now and haven't heard back. Getting a job is difficult regardless of GPA.

Getting a job at the City is pretty hard from what I understand. Lots of competition and a totally poo poo hiring process.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe I just have a little more humanity for children than I do for cheating spouses.

Frankly, I don't care whose kid it is, a child doesn't deserve to be punished for something it had no control over prior to birth. I'd at least make sure it's fed or the real father takes care of it.

We have enough kids suffering to say that tossing them overboard with your disgust over your betrayal is a good plan.

Lol how is the child being punished? He would be fine with his mother and real father unless they were alcoholics and rampant child abusers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

His mistake was not his GPA. It was getting a degree in aerospace.

Pretty much this.

I graduated with a 2.3 and started this job a month after I graduated.

• Locked thread