Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Endman posted:

I'd completely ignore the ridiculous Commissar nonsense because despite what Hollywood would have you believe, the NKVD didn't go around summarily executing anyone who sneezed in an unpatriotic manner.

What's worse is that, most of the time, the commissars in these games are not NKVD, they're company- and battalion-level commissars, who were generally part of the unit they accompanied. And based on records I've seen, they were punished for desertion right alongside the officers Hollywood thinks they should have shot.

In reality, commissars were the Soviet equivalent of a chaplain; It's just that communism was the state religion. They attended to the morale of the troops, and shooting them is not really attending to their morale. Did they report on "actions against the State?" Yep, but usually about officers, not the men themselves, and certainly not in the middle of combat.

As far as shooting people who retreated, I'm not sure it really ever happened, but only the NKVD had authorization to do so. Generally they'd arrest people who retreated and send them to penal battalions; why waste warm bodies? I'd also like someone to show me an army in the 40s that didn't shoot panic-mongers and deserters.

All of this really comes from German propaganda that, after the war, the other allies had no reason to debunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think it's not so much "they had permission to execute deserters" so much as who the hell didn't? Execution for desertation and cowardice was universal.

V: I'm really good at reading :downs:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 8, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's my point, really.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I do think that having one of the big four be The Horde Faction makes for interesting gameplay, and the Soviets are what most people would think of for that (even though Americans would probably make more sense historically) so that parts fine. However, they have too many disadvantages to make up for their numerical advantage, and since you have a finite front area, it means that the soviets typically just can't bring enough of their numbers to bear in any given firefight. Now, it's important to note that Soviets are already not terrible. They win a decent - though below average - number of tournaments and in most battles they'd have a pretty good shot at winning. However, they should still be made somewhat stronger and much more fun. Here's my personal opinion on how to do that, many of which spectralent has already talked about :

1) Give them unique lists to draw from. At my gaming store, about half of players just like the country and play whatever lists they want. The other half like the history behind it, and so tend to go with either Americans or Germans. Soviets are out of luck in that second area.
2) Give them smoke. Now, soviets used smoke in a fundamentally different way than other countries in WW2 - being assigned higher than the battalions the game is played at - which is how battlefront explains its absence. It would be way cooler if the Soviets instead just got some sort of unique approach to smoke. Maybe airplane-style Smoke Support where they don't have any smoke artillery on the table, but have a chance to get it from off-table each turn? Smoke is vital to the game, Soviets not having it is IMO their biggest weakness.
3) I'm torn on Kommissars. On one hand, they're totally historically inaccurate and killing an entire team is just weird. On the other hand, they are pop culturally iconic and pretty cool. :shrug: Maybe just let them boost Motivation by +1 (so fearless passes on 2+, confident 3+)
4) Get rid of Hens and Chicks. Find some other way to make their tanks weaker to preserve the Horde Balance, but a +1 penalty to hit is just too punishing in this game. Reduce their command distance or increase bogging chance or make them easier to hit in X condition or whatever
5) Let their good equipment actually be good. Katyushas suck, IS-2 and other heavy soviet tanks are terrible, and their AT guns are some of the worst in the game. The local Soviet player rants about this going against actual history all the time, so he's probably right

After all of that, you can also increase their points slightly. They can be Horde Faction without filling 100% of the deployment area.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think their hordiness is one of the biggest reasons so few people play them; it might look aesthetic to have them fill their entire deployment zone but to do that you need like six boxes of tanks, compared to like, three or four; it makes them way more expensive to buy into and take forever to put together.

The Katyushas are basically free VP as well, yeah. They're a softskin unit that should be miles behind the front line being right next to the fighting, and they don't have the Katyusha's historically devastating effect on infantry. If you want a cheap pinning unit mortars are going to be better just because they can become dug-in infantry, and they have the same effectiveness on the table.

The KVs aren't too bad, but they're basically just cheap assault tanks more than they are proper heavies in late war. The ISes are a bigger issue: They can do a lot of things reasonably well, but because they're slow tanks and only have RoF 1 they will basically never get to do all of it, and they pay the points for a multirole ability they're unable to use without excelling in any particular front that'd allow you to compensate for it.

I think H&C's "failure to move" is a bigger issue, because as you say, you have limited frontage, and you're often forced to halt at a subpar spot to take your shots, because if your stragglers move everyone takes the hit. The result is you rarely get to use the whole barrage. +1 to hit is a nightmare against concealed vets though, yeah.

Mass-execution komissars is just pure movie logic. +1 to morale would probably be fine (2+ guards strelk :getin:)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

2nd edition of Bolt Action has just been announced. Also a weird war 2 game.

http://www.warlordgames.com/announc..._eid=5eafd5a5a8

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I wrote up a recap of our experience playing SAGA at AdeptiCon in the team tourney:

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/04/adepticon-saga-grand-melee-team.html?m=1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BeigeJacket posted:

2nd edition of Bolt Action has just been announced. Also a weird war 2 game.

http://www.warlordgames.com/announc..._eid=5eafd5a5a8

LOL, I was literally going to the local store to pick up the rules today. Guess I'll just grab an army book or something instead.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

muggins posted:

I wrote up a recap of our experience playing SAGA at AdeptiCon in the team tourney:

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/04/adepticon-saga-grand-melee-team.html?m=1
Thanks for this, I'll check it out and share it with my group.

Swagger Dagger posted:

LOL, I was literally going to the local store to pick up the rules today. Guess I'll just grab an army book or something instead.

My book was delivered TODAY, so imagine my disappointment - but all the army books are compatible and the 2nd edition only compiles the errata & FAQs, and isn't a complete rewrite like a GW book. Considering it's coming out in the autumn I'm not too fussed, especially if I get in several games between now and then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

So tell me, lads, what are the issues with the Soviets in Flames of War, and how could they be solved/ what it would like if they were more historical?
You can have an entire army of experimental Panthers with IR sights but you can't have an entire army of KV-1s of any kind in any period of the war.

spectralent posted:

It's worse than 40k because in 40k you've only killed one dude, rather than gunning down four or five guys in some kind of murder spree as FoW komissars apparently do on the reg.
I love how it kind of implies that to improve morale the Commissar kills one dude, and four others immediately desert without being rumbled.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

You can have an entire army of experimental Panthers with IR sights but you can't have an entire army of KV-1s of any kind in any period of the war.

You can have a KV army using the guards heavy tank list in red bear. It lets you take KVs, and it's probably the best option compared to taking IS-2s and getting hosed on points.

quote:

I love how it kind of implies that to improve morale the Commissar kills one dude, and four others immediately desert without being rumbled.

Everyone is relieved on seeing that it's reasonably easy to escape, and their morale is restored.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

You can have a KV army using the guards heavy tank list in red bear. It lets you take KVs, and it's probably the best option compared to taking IS-2s and getting hosed on points.
:stare:
I have no idea how I missed that. Now I guess I have a reason to buy yet more of the Zvezda KV-1s :getin:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Commissar "shoots" the men off on some well-deserved convalescence.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Bolt Action has a Commissar as well, but he's totally optional. Any units he's in command range of must remove a model if they fail an orders test but can re-roll the test. If this happens 3 times in a turn the Commissar gets fragged instead.

Of course the great thing about Bolt Action is that you can run almost any sort of force you want, from elite guards units with piles of firepower to "Enemy at the Gates was a documentary" style conscript hordes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I just think Commissars are wholly inappropriate unless you're going to include a mechanic to represent the propaganda war.

That would be pretty awesome, though. Mess with your enemy's head by shouting subversive messages over a loudspeaker! :v:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Endman posted:

I just think Commissars are wholly inappropriate unless you're going to include a mechanic to represent the propaganda war.

That would be pretty awesome, though. Mess with your enemy's head by shouting subversive messages over a loudspeaker! :v:

I've always wanted to rig up a Soviet tank with one of those programmable greeting card speakers and a hidden button so it can blast The Sacred War when I activate it.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Polikarpov posted:

"Enemy at the Gates was a documentary" style conscript hordes.

Lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Russian-produced film Stalingrad (2013) featured some pretty historically questionable depictions of events, but for some reason game designers always instead err on the side of the German propaganda.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Polikarpov posted:

Bolt Action has a Commissar as well, but he's totally optional. Any units he's in command range of must remove a model if they fail an orders test but can re-roll the test. If this happens 3 times in a turn the Commissar gets fragged instead.

Of course the great thing about Bolt Action is that you can run almost any sort of force you want, from elite guards units with piles of firepower to "Enemy at the Gates was a documentary" style conscript hordes.

This is what really bugs me about Flames. I wouldn't mind so much the existence of Commissars and rules like Hens and Chicks if that wasn't all there was. There's very few options to play non-horde Soviets, and the few lists that do exist are often incredibly limited. Just let me have Veteran T-34s, Battlefront! :argh:

Edit:

moths posted:

The Russian-produced film Stalingrad (2013) featured some pretty historically questionable depictions of events, but for some reason game designers always instead err on the side of the German propaganda.

:stare:

Endman
May 18, 2010

moths posted:

Holy crap that's hilarious

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Bolt Action has some really cool options like strahfbat, naval brigades, nkvd, Siberia vets etc. BA is definitely ww2 the movie but it's cool to have options. Soon I'll have naval dudes painted

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man naval dudes in FoW are such a disappointment. They're just the same as regular strelk but their core platoons are one stand smaller :confuoot:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Polikarpov posted:

Yeah, I was really disappointed with Bolt Action when I read that rule. :(

Endman posted:

"If you have not killed at least one German a day, you have wasted that day. If you cannot kill your German with a bullet, kill him with your bayonet. If there is calm on your part of the front, or if you are waiting for the fighting, kill a German in the meantime."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

spectralent posted:

Man naval dudes in FoW are such a disappointment. They're just the same as regular strelk but their core platoons are one stand smaller :confuoot:

Yeah one of the reasons I don't play FoW very much anymore is that my Naval Infantry just can't cut it against many lists these days, even casual ones.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
IM GOING TO GO INSANE IF I HAVE TO ASSEMBLE ANY MORE M113's FOR TEAM YANKEE HOLY poo poo YOU NEED SO MANY.

gently caress I just realized that I still need one more box of them. NO NO NONO NOO NOO

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah one of the reasons I don't play FoW very much anymore is that my Naval Infantry just can't cut it against many lists these days, even casual ones.

Why not just play regular strelk with naval infantry figures and just not give a poo poo that the TO&E is slightly different? Then you won't have this problem.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Numlock posted:

IM GOING TO GO INSANE IF I HAVE TO ASSEMBLE ANY MORE M113's FOR TEAM YANKEE HOLY poo poo YOU NEED SO MANY.

gently caress I just realized that I still need one more box of them. NO NO NONO NOO NOO

Why not just play regular strelk with naval infantry figures and just not give a poo poo that the TO&E is slightly different? Then you won't have this problem.

It's pretty illustrative of Battlefront's approach to Soviets, though-take a base list, make one or two exceedingly minor changes, change the name, and call it a day. They just have no interest in making interesting or diverse lists for Soviets, and it's pretty sad.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

moths posted:

what the gently caress that was awful

Polikarpov posted:

yeah me and a buddy are picking up some BA and there's some cool poo poo, I might hold out until the new book hits but i'm looking to play Naval Infantry stuff cause they look awesome, though finding good sculpts for them is hard, Warlords are okay though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Numlock posted:

Complain when you've put together soviets in BMPs :colbert:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's pretty illustrative of Battlefront's approach to Soviets, though-take a base list, make one or two exceedingly minor changes, change the name, and call it a day. They just have no interest in making interesting or diverse lists for Soviets, and it's pretty sad.

Yeah; for any other army something like Naval infantry would have it's own special rules, or at the very least a different TO&E. Compare things like the naval infantry, an entirely different branch of service altogether fielding infantry, with things like the Nisei, paras lists, upcoming US marines...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah, like in real life the Russian Morskaya were cool because they used a very different swift assault doctrine to the Strelk. For instance while they did use Maxims on occasion, by the late war they had swapped them out for guys carrying the DP LMGs because they were easier to position. A lot of it is Soviet propaganda but they were also renowned for extremely effective frontal assaults using huge units of guys armed with SMGs, so that's also a thing. You think they'd get a nod as the expensive mostly tank free Soviet elite list with Fearless Vet and One Way Ticket to Heaven or something but it's BF so no.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A lot of it is Soviet propaganda...

I mean, Battlefront have also given us FV, unique-special-rules SS all over the shop, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume pop-culture-potent elites from the soviets as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well now that you say and when you consider the options that say 8th army gets...

As for BA, it seems you have to either friend someone to play historical TO&E or prepare for StG44 and never see LMGs

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Holy crap it's a calm sunny spring day. This means one thing: time to prime some of the poo poo I've built over winter:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They actually apologized for this a while back.

It boils down to that they didn't have anybody on their staff that could read Russian so most of the sources they could work with was German records and accounts which are fairly one-sided about the situation. Also they were focused on the Western front as that was the area of main interest for them personally and for most of their player base.

They supposedly corrected the situation, but you probably won't see big changes until V4.

Though if Team Yankee is any indication, V4 will probably cut down on the special rules (ether by getting rid of them or giving them to everybody) so it won't be that big of a deal even if the Soviets don't change from how they are now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

In other words, Soviets will never get to be cool and unique like every other army :smith:

If I could just have katyushas that weren't free VP I'd probably be happy tbh

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What makes the Katyusha so bad? I know the IS-2 is garbage.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Numlock posted:

They actually apologized for this a while back.

It boils down to that they didn't have anybody on their staff that could read Russian so most of the sources they could work with was German records and accounts which are fairly one-sided about the situation.

This is such bullshit, there have been English language history books about the Red Army for decades now.

Someone buy Battlefront an Osprey for goodness sake.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

What makes the Katyusha so bad? I know the IS-2 is garbage.

They're a slightly worse heavy mortar for slightly cheaper (factoring in the fact you get an observer) without any of the advantages of being infantry (no GTG in the open, 5+ save instead of 3+ and IIRC no FP), which makes them ridiculously vulnerable. They're often an outright liability to bring, even. Historically, they were utterly devastating weapons, too, which makes it a particular annoyance that they're not all that useful, especially because one of the factors in how scary they were was how quickly a barrage got laid down, which isn't a thing represented anywhere in the katyusha's rules, but is a special rule the brits and americans get which makes their artillery a big threat.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
To be fair massive infantry platoons isn't solely the Russian gimmick. The Italians, Romanians, and Poles(to some extent) have them, too but they're so bad that they're never used in competitive play. The Italian and Romanian lists that see play are the ones without the big platoons, e.g. carri, tancuri.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Panzeh posted:

To be fair massive infantry platoons isn't solely the Russian gimmick. The Italians, Romanians, and Poles(to some extent) have them, too but they're so bad that they're never used in competitive play. The Italian and Romanian lists that see play are the ones without the big platoons, e.g. carri, tancuri.

The Italians only have a couple of horde lists, though; their main thing is their random scores for their stats. The Poles in EW are big, but they're also using multiple command stands, so you're basically buying several slightly large platoons instead of a massive platoon of twenty-plus dudes like the soviets* (Late war they're brit TO&Es with unique special rules). Romanians are probably the closest, but they've also got the random morale thing. They all get smoke, and none of them have Quality of Quantity, which is a big part of their image; "the soviet horde charging into machineguns" type propoganda. Also none of them get Hen-and-Chicks.

*Incidentally this is a model I would be quite happy to see them adopt for Soviets.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I don't think horde lists are bad, soviets are even quite successful. Just it's all they do, and it's constructed in a way that plays into the slavic hordes myth in a lazy and ugly way.

I mean, it's not the worst thing ever but I kinda eyeroll at it.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I love cold war stuff so is team yankee for me?

Also are there any naval minis games?