Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I shamefully like the insanely over the top gore in it.

I liked how enemies changed attack plans when they lost a limb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They could have just recolored the blood and pretended all the enemies are cyborgs like revengeance

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

I shamefully like the insanely over the top gore in it.

I liked how enemies changed attack plans when they lost a limb.

To be more specific, when limbless, most enemies get a very high damage grab attack; some even suicide bomb you. Most enemies are actually MORE dangerous when you've hacked off an arm or a leg, so it's always best to press them and finish them off completely. The worst feeling is killing a tough fiend, then dying when a crawling lowly soldier you hadn't noticed (due to the sea of gore at your feet) leaps on your back and bombs you to the game over screen.

It is tactical though, you sometimes may want to leave a limping enemy alive so you can focus on an aggressive other enemy. There's always a lot to consider in battles.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is tactical though, you sometimes may want to leave a limping enemy alive so you can focus on an aggressive other enemy. There's always a lot to consider in battles.

Nah that's dumb, once an enemy has lost a limb they're vulnerable to your big goofy insta-kill move. Always go for for the insta-kill since you're invincible until it ends.

It's super fun to just mash heavy attack and watch Ryu finish guys off one by one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you counter the limbless grab move you get some health back

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Awh man the Lunar Staff was so much cooler in the second game, the ends had spiked balls that were attached to a chain and spin when you swung and it was cool as gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ninja Gaiden 2 had really good weapons but the story was extremely stupid.

I actually really liked the story in NG1 and more or less remember every story beat. I couldn't tell you a single thing that happens in 2 except there's a werewolf in a castle I think? For some reason?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ninja Gaiden Stories are always super stupid but they're fun about it.

Remember the mysterious emperor of the first game? Oh no turns out it was that chump you fought way back at the beginning of the game that you forgot about!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

Ninja Gaiden Stories are always super stupid but they're fun about it.

Remember the mysterious emperor of the first game? Oh no turns out it was that chump you fought way back at the beginning of the game that you forgot about!

Some chump, that guy kicked the poo poo out of me for so long when I first got that game. He's easily harder than any of the other early bosses. He'll straight up juggle you to death until you figure out how to fight effectively. Even then, he's pretty tough and can punish you harshly if you get greedy. I like how he's all buddy buddy with you after you just slaughtered fifty of his men.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No boss fight has ever been able to top "Fat Laser Man on Blimp" in my heart.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
NG2's story made of been nonsense but nothing is bad as 3.

Ryu YOUR KILLING IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it snowed here too, checkmate climate scientists

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ninja Gaiden Xbox wasn't as good as Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Also it didn't hold a candle to DMC because Tecmo sucks at games. I mean they made Dead or Alive fighting games, lol come on.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Devil may Cry was all about being flash and whupping rear end.

NG was more defensive.

Also when you put DMC like that you are making me think of NT's game which NG styles all over. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shindragon posted:

Devil may Cry was all about being flash and whupping rear end.

NG was more defensive.

Also when you put DMC like that you are making me think of NT's game which NG styles all over. :v:

No, you are thinking about DmC. Big difference....

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Fair enough.

Just been so long since we had a proper DMC. :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Some chump, that guy kicked the poo poo out of me for so long when I first got that game. He's easily harder than any of the other early bosses. He'll straight up juggle you to death until you figure out how to fight effectively. Even then, he's pretty tough and can punish you harshly if you get greedy. I like how he's all buddy buddy with you after you just slaughtered fifty of his men.

Wasn't exactly talking about his difficulty as a boss when I said that but yeah he was a pretty good boss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quest For Glory II posted:

e3 is getting close enough (9 weeks away) that companies are now talkin about it

On June 12, Bethesda will shine the spotlight on its upcoming lineup of games. But this is no ordinary Showcase. Along with new gameplay and electrifying updates, we’ve evolved BE3, adding a whole new part to the event: BE3 Plus. Immediately after the Showcase ends, attendees will enjoy a special Bethesda E3 experience, complete with game demos, hosted interviews and a variety of food and drinks. And, for those in attendance, we’ve even got a top-secret band taking the stage at 9pm PDT. You won’t want to miss their performance!

a band curated by Bethesda....

My guess is demo of dishonored 2. more ESO dlc/expansions. wolfenstein NO 2(gently caress yes) fallout 4 dlc/expansions. and new IP. maybe a trailer/teaser for new elder scrolls.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i killed the first demon in demons soul

leveling tips please

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
leveling tips how? like what build to focus on?

Magic is pretty much goddamn OP in Demon Souls.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah like resistance was useless in dark souls i remember so what should i focus on or avoid

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

corn in the bible posted:

yeah like resistance was useless in dark souls i remember so what should i focus on or avoid

Hp and sprint power bar. Stacking stats is basically like for the end of the game when you have good scaling weapons.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shindragon posted:

Oh is that the whole impetus for that "killing the lowly soldier" scene? I didn't keep up with the stories after NG the first. Not that they were ever full of rich story or anything. Ironic considering the origins of the original Ninja Gaiden NES games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tenzarin posted:

Ninja Gaiden Xbox wasn't as good as Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

In a weird bit of trivia I learned a while back, the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy was only named that in the US because of the totally unrelated arcade game that came out the year before, and the original Japanese title was "Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword."
Then, when the arcade game was later released in Japan, they changed its name to match the title of the Japanese NES games (despite the fact that you don't really use swords much in the arcade game).
Then when they made the Xbox series, they just called it Ninja Gaiden everywhere because they made the game with Western appeal in mind.

Hope you enjoyed this video game history lesson.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

leveling tips please

You managed to kill the tutorial boss??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Good think they changed the name or else the movie The Wizard would of been forever tainted.

Also nice post of the most deadly enemy in the games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh is that the whole impetus for that "killing the lowly soldier" scene?
Yup. It's so goddamn ridiculous and at the end they are nah Ryu dont' feel bad you can kill!

edit: I hate that goddamn bird. Trigger warn that poo poo. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting in that "a ninja has no mercy" is certainly fitting in Ninja Gaiden's somewhat grim and austere view of ninja, but I don't know if that's really the best avenue to explore in your fun slashy action game.

EDIT: If you were gonna do it, it should be in a circumstance where no mercy is more acceptable. Say a virus that turns people into Fiends has infested a small town. It cannot be allowed that anyone who is possibly infected survives, so you have to slaughter both mutated and unmutated townsfolk alike. This communicates the harshness of Ryu's code while not making the player feel entirely reprehensible for what they've done.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2016

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

raditts posted:

In a weird bit of trivia I learned a while back, the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy was only named that in the US because of the totally unrelated arcade game that came out the year before, and the original Japanese title was "Legend of the Ninja Dragon Sword."
Then, when the arcade game was later released in Japan, they changed its name to match the title of the Japanese NES games (despite the fact that you don't really use swords much in the arcade game).
Then when they made the Xbox series, they just called it Ninja Gaiden everywhere because they made the game with Western appeal in mind.

Those goddam eagles :argh: Also, neat trivia. The things I really remember from the arcade game was the throw where you jump over the badguy and fling him by his neck and this:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

You managed to kill the tutorial boss??

no i killed phalanx

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

leveling tips please

Luck. You can never get enough intangibles.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

theultimo posted:

the rare santori ....

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

raditts posted:

Video game history owns. Does anyone know if there any other videos or podcasts or whatever that are like Did you know Gaming?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Adam Bowen posted:

Video game history owns. Does anyone know if there any other videos or podcasts or whatever that are like Did you know Gaming?

http://youtu.be/EfI3ACO8SLQ ?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shindragon posted:

considering ryu in ng3 is a loving psycho maybe he should feel bad

OBLITERATION TECHNIQUE

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite part in Ninja Gaiden 1 is when you run out of Ken's house your in like Florida and the next level is the tundra.

Oh also that the last level is literally impossible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Ninja Gaiden 1 I repeatedly fell down a pit due to wonky 3D platforming after beating a bone dragon boss and then I stopped playing because that was so annoying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

In Ninja Gaiden 1 I repeatedly fell down a pit due to wonky 3D platforming after beating a bone dragon boss and then I stopped playing because that was so annoying.

The Crypts are the lamest part of NG1. They are mostly redeemed though by the fact that you get the Vigoorian Flails and get to GO loving HAM on some 8 foot tall zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The game never tells you this, but a lot of the mid-air moves make the platforming a lot more manageable. Though I also fell down that pit quiet a few times.

• Locked thread