Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yes, for the 10th year running they're now taking pc gaming seriously, unlike last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also

theultimo posted:

Microsoft Azure at its best

seamless

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if the streaming fails often enough, it'll suggest a 75 GB download

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

idk looks like all the problems are on the developers side.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
OK, quantum break and gears of war have failed. 0 out of 2 is still a good chance for this as a great gaming platform

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
gears of war was a bad game and I've never heard of quantum break. idk why they don't just get people who have already released working games on pc to add their stuff to the store.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

gears of war was a bad game and I've never heard of quantum break. idk why they don't just get people who have already released working games on pc to add their stuff to the store.

remedy made future mark

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
because why would you spend the time and resources porting a windows game to windows after getting hosed over by GFWL

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Phoenixan posted:

because why would you spend the time and resources porting a windows game to windows after getting hosed over by GFWL

:agreed:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Phoenixan posted:

they wouldn't need to port there game to anything. it already runs on windows it just needs to be packaged for distribution on the windows store. Microsoft can use that experience to tune the distribution of non-uwp apps in the store. instead they're starting with games that don't work on windows because the games themselves are poorly coded and making them exclusive to the windows store so people associate the store with the game's problems.

start w/ like tomb raider which they've been advertising all over the place for some reason and then pack in in a windows store app and subsidize the pricing for 3 months to encourage adoption. the game already works so you just have to pack it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
yeah, don't know why publishers wouldn't bring their games to a storefront that no one uses and doesn't support the features that existing stores do, really odd how more haven't jumped on this bandwagon

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
hmm yes this game optimized for true full screen mode and probably some additional hackish nonsense is a perfect candidate for a platform with restrictions and a requirement that the game runs in borderless windowed faux full screen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

start w/ like tomb raider which they've been advertising all over the place for some reason

uhh they did, it's on the windows store, was there at the same time as it launched on Steam. But it doesn't have a whole bunch of graphics options because uwp doesn't support them, and has no external software support (so no fraps, twitch streaming etc.) so it's in every way a worse buy than via Steam or anywhere else which gives you a Steam code.

They've launched 4 major games on the platform so far.

Two of those (GoW and Quantum Break) are broken pieces of poo poo.
Rise of the Tomb Raider is also on Steam, and is in every way better there.
Killer Instinct mostly works except it's timed for 60fps but runs at whatever your screen's refresh rate is. So if you have a 144 Hz screen it'll run slightly more than twice as fast as it should, and you can't fix that without disabling 144 Hz system-wide.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

reminder that Windows applications can't be distributed using the Windows Store because the Windows Store doesn't support Windows applications

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah that's hosed up then.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lol even shaggar has to admit the windows store is bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
its good for uwp apps but man they really need to add another security model for normal apps

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I bet he bought tomb raider on steam first without even checking the windows store

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well yeah.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how the gently caress in tyool 2016 is it possible that there is no way to organize stored procedures in folders in mssql? nope, you just get to use one folder and have fun finding what you're looking for.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
folders are apparently arcane wizardry

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

folders are apparently arcane wizardry

you using beos?

http://www.tunetrackersystems.com/bedocs/documentation/User%27s%20Guide/01_basics/Basics05_Finding.html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that's actually far better than Exchange's message tracking last I checked.

I can't believe that being able to organize SPs in mssql is not on pretty much every DBAs wishlist.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

how the gently caress in tyool 2016 is it possible that there is no way to organize stored procedures in folders in mssql? nope, you just get to use one folder and have fun finding what you're looking for.

agreed, it's bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

altho stored procs are the correct way to do things, Microsoft's dev tools team is hella code first so they do orms and the idea of having loads of stored procs is foreign to them.

Alternatively, you can put the procs into different schemas. That's what I tend to do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
entity framework is total garbo and they keep doubling down on it in the wrong direction.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

a great hallmark of a garbage senior developer is one who hears about entity framework and thinks it will solve a bunch of their problems

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

my domain joined win7 machine is not getting upgrade notices

win7 enterprise is exempt from the upgrade offer and anything attached to wsus doesn't get it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
mines win7 pro.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

win7 enterprise is exempt from the upgrade offer and anything attached to wsus doesn't get it

yup usually unless you get some idiot intern who thinks pro = enterprise and installs the wrong security patch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
o I didn't install the update for it.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

:laugh:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

congrats!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

countdown to a better tomorrow!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Try upgrading your antivirus, maybe that will stop it from spreading!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

99 Luftdateballons

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
my biggest gripe with the ms store is that it doesn't let me use my debit card because it's from a different region

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is that popping up automatically for people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

is that popping up automatically for people?

yes

new latest way to force Windows 10

• Locked thread