Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

black potus posted:

Also Kibler is mega awkward in an aggro deck as a kill spell, go figure.

Looking forward to drafting this more.

Gonna draft a deck with 4 Murderous Compulsions, call it Gimme Kibler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wait. Hang on.
Is there a dragon in this set?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Serperoth posted:

This is irrelevant, but I installed AutocardAnywhere and pictures are not showing, along with pictures from magiccards.info. I presume this is because of the (not so) recent SA update, but is there any info on how to fix it? Imgur stuff is fine, and I remember domains being a thing, but not any more details, and google isn't helping much.

Gotta say it's pretty funny browsing the forums with it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

tog wasn't even the best control deck of that standard format, wake was

Ody/Ons standard? Sure, agreed. Inv/Ody standard? No way, white wasn't even a color in that Standard.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
LSV's constructed review for Insolent Neonate:

quote:

Insolent Neonate

Constructed: 3.5

This may secretly be one of the best cards in the set. It's a cheap Vampire that gets in for a few points and lets you cash it in later (granted, at minus 1 card), which is at least the beginning of something good. Add in the madness-enabling aspect and you are starting to move into the realm of an engine card, which is impressive for only 1 mana. Cards that are cheap, good early, and relevant late are few and far between, and this does all that while supporting one of the main themes of the set.

Once you move on to Modern, things get even more interesting. Insolent Neonate is the perfect dredge enabler, as you discard before drawing. It's awesome to imagine playing Neonate and discarding a dredge card, then immediately dredging it. Neonate also easily triggers Vengevine and Bridge from Below, giving you a lot of options as to how you want to build this graveyard-based deck.

That's a lot of action for only 1 mana, and I wouldn't be surprised if this card had far-reaching impact.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tog may have been a 1/2 creature but it was effectively a lot bigger because if your opponent attacked into it or tried to burn it, it could always grow. And this was a time when almost all hard removal only hit nonblack creatures. And then Upheaval with a big board or loaded graveyard would just win, it was a great control finishing combo. Tog is one of my favourite creatures ever because it looks so innocuous.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

MiddleEastBeast posted:

LSV's constructed review for Insolent Neonate:

Gotta concur. I posted my UR Prowess last that includes Neonate upthread a ways and the thing does work.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

Tog may have been a 1/2 creature but it was effectively a lot bigger because if your opponent attacked into it or tried to burn it, it could always grow. And this was a time when almost all hard removal only hit nonblack creatures. And then Upheaval with a big board or loaded graveyard would just win, it was a great control finishing combo. Tog is one of my favourite creatures ever because it looks so innocuous.

Also the art was great. Not the lovely-rear end Vintage Masters art, the Doctor Teeth art where he's like bashed through a wall and has that Cheshire Cat grin.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Ody/Ons standard? Sure, agreed. Inv/Ody standard? No way, white wasn't even a color in that Standard.

yeah that's fair, i played way more mm/inv and ody/ons anyway

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Runmaging Hapless researcher but in red and with menace randomly added

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Release weekend gouging is hilarious. Went to the lgs close to my work because it's lunch time, and I have just witnessed 30 dollar sorins and 12 dollar declaration in stone. Abbey is only 19 and he was proud to be giving me a deal. I tried to negotiate but he wasn't going to even try. Needless to say, I noped the gently caress out.

I understand gouging a little because it is a business but tcg player should not be 30% better than you on everything.
Your just hurting your store at that point.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

stinkles1112 posted:

Gotta concur. I posted my UR Prowess last that includes Neonate upthread a ways and the thing does work.

Yeah I've put together the deck I posted in the brewhaus using him. Going to play that deck tonight at FNM if I don't stay home and watch baseball.

It seems like a real good card!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

Psychatog also could discard Circular Logic. And its first ability could fuel its second, giving each discard something more like +1.5/+1.5 in practice.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I missed out on that, I was still playing first striking creatures like they had haste on the school bus then.

Now Memory Jar and the Urza's block, that was some bullshit right there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone have SCG premium and want to post Kibler's delirium list? I'm curious about what kind of lists he came up with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

Release weekend gouging is hilarious. Went to the lgs close to my work because it's lunch time, and I have just witnessed 30 dollar sorins and 12 dollar declaration in stone. Abbey is only 19 and he was proud to be giving me a deal. I tried to negotiate but he wasn't going to even try. Needless to say, I noped the gently caress out.

I understand gouging a little because it is a business but tcg player should not be 30% better than you on everything.
Your just hurting your store at that point.
I almost feel bad for the store I play at because their weekly tournaments are really good but their prices on singles are downright laughable. All of their rares are a dollar minimum, and pretty much everything is at least 30% over TCG market price. Couple weeks ago my eyes practically shot out of my head when I saw they had Kalitas listed for almost $40. I understand that they're beholden to Dan Bock but I can't for the life of me figure out why they would do it when there's at least two other shops within a mile or two who offer a constant TCG mid for their entire stock.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I almost feel bad for the store I play at because their weekly tournaments are really good but their prices on singles are downright laughable. All of their rares are a dollar minimum, and pretty much everything is at least 30% over TCG market price. Couple weeks ago my eyes practically shot out of my head when I saw they had Kalitas listed for almost $40. I understand that they're beholden to Dan Bock but I can't for the life of me figure out why they would do it when there's at least two other shops within a mile or two who offer a constant TCG mid for their entire stock.

Dan Bock is a smug, price-gouging douche who thinks that he's smarter than everyone else. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
is dan bock someone who is significant beyond a particular region

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If underworld Cerberus had the rules text "cards in graveyards can't change zones" instead of the "can't be targeted" text would that stop flashback, delve, reanimation, haakon with nameless inversion, living end, etc. ?

My thinking is you could still pay the flashback or mill for dredge but nothing would happen, a flashback card never goes to the stack so wont resolve and won't get exiled, dredge cards wouldn't be drawn, etc.

How many rules clusterfucks would it cause?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Anyone have SCG premium and want to post Kibler's delirium list? I'm curious about what kind of lists he came up with.

I preordered a box from the m like a goober so I'll have premium as soon as it ships.
Which should be sometime today.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

Besides, Landstill > wake as top control in Ody/Ons. :colbert:

(I miss you Nantuko Monastery)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

Picture the worst Binder Grinder you can imagine. Now imagine they're a 40 year old man. Now imagine that they hoard power in a region to drive up prices. Now imagine that they bought a Lotus model car in black so he could say he drives a Black Lotus.

That's Dan Bock

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Creatures (20)

4 Deathcap Cultivator
2 Den Protector
4 Mindwrack Demon
3 Sylvan Advocate
2 Tireless Tracker
1 Ulvenwald Hydra
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 The Gitrog Monster
Planeswalkers (2)

2 Ob Nixilis, Reignited
Lands (25)

6 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
1 Rogue's Passage
Spells (13)

2 Dead Weight
1 Grasp of Darkness
3 Ultimate Price
3 Oath of Nissa
1 Ruinous Path
3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
Sideboard

2 Ainok Survivalist
2 Dead Weight
1 To the Slaughter
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Duress
2 Flaying Tendrils
2 Pick the Brain

2 Den Protector
1 Greenwarden of Murasa
4 Mindwrack Demon
2 Tireless Tracker
1 Ulvenwald Hydra
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 The Gitrog Monster
Planeswalkers (2)

2 Ob Nixilis, Reignited
Lands (25)

6 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
1 Rogue's Passage
Spells (18)

2 Dead Weight
2 Grasp of Darkness
1 To the Slaughter
2 Ultimate Price
2 Duress
4 Read the Bones
2 Ruinous Path
3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
Sideboard

1 Den Protector
1 Greenwarden of Murasa
2 Dead Weight
2 Pulse of Murasa
1 Ultimate Price
2 Duress
3 Languish
2 Pick the Brain
1 Seasons Past

I get premium for free right now and I think its loving garbo and I have no idea why people pay for this. Gerry's article today is a level of lovely that I didn't think could be possible.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 8, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I get premium for free right now and I think its loving garbo and I have no idea why people pay for this. Gerry's article today is a level of lovely that I didn't think could be possible.

I got whatever - 3? - months free for GPNJ and I think I read 3 articles total in that time. And none of them were worth a cent.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

Picture the worst Binder Grinder you can imagine. Now imagine they're a 40 year old man. Now imagine that they hoard power in a region to drive up prices. Now imagine that they bought a Lotus model car in black so he could say he drives a Black Lotus.

That's Dan Bock

To be fair, that last part with the Black Lotus is kind of clever, the rest sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HUMAN FISH posted:

Gotta say it's pretty funny browsing the forums with it

I already read that thread, but I just realized that this would be a hell of a way to learn that Caro is alive for a goon in this thread.

(For those who don't know, Caro is a goon who went to Libya during the civil war to do reporting and became an unlicensed trauma surgeon, rebel sniper, and a war criminal after deliberately destroying a water tower in the desert. He then tried to join the Free Syrian Army in 2012, was put in one of Assad's death camps, and had been presumed dead since 2013)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

A dollar for any rare isn't outlandish, when you think about the time it takes employees to sort and price out everything and stuff.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yawgmoth posted:

Which store? This sounds like a few stores I've been to in the Milwaukee area.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

From everything I know about Dan Bock he's the kind of guy who makes you hope WotC abandons the reserved list and prints power and duals at common.

Chamale posted:

(For those who don't know, Caro is a goon who went to Libya during the civil war to do reporting and became an unlicensed trauma surgeon, rebel sniper, and a war criminal after deliberately destroying a water tower in the desert. He then tried to join the Free Syrian Army in 2012, was put in one of Assad's death camps, and had been presumed dead since 2013)

:wtc:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoness posted:

Well, in addition to this:

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's Dan Bock
He makes a "deal" with card shops where they basically sell his cards at his prices for a cut of the profits. Unfortunately, because

ScarletBrother posted:

Dan Bock is a smug, price-gouging douche who thinks that he's smarter than everyone else.
The cards are at prices that are hard to move unless you're in an area with no competition, bad/no internet, and few credit cards but a lot of cash-only customers. So you end up with a shitload of cards no one wants to buy taking up space while the vast majority of customers just go online and buy from Literally Anywhere Else unless they're absolutely desperate to get a given card.

Also, he sends them boxes of cards that are in no discernible order and they generally don't get in cards from a new set until the saturday/monday after release; so they don't even get the benefit of day zero sales, the one day that they might actually be able to sell a decent amount of cards at gouged-up prices.

Edit:

ThePeavstenator posted:

Which store? This sounds like a few stores I've been to in the Milwaukee area.
Universe Games in Minneapolis. Great employees, pretty much all the players are at least decent to chat & play with, but their singles prices flat out suck.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 8, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ThePeavstenator posted:

Now imagine that they bought a Lotus model car in black so he could say he drives a Black Lotus.

This is actually great.

Anyone try thing in the ice in older formats yet?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Now imagine that they bought a Lotus model car in black so he could say he drives a Black Lotus.
This is actually on my bucket list, so Dan Bock for Hall of Fame 2016.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The Black Lotus thing owns it's just that he doesn't use his wealth to not choke out the regional vintage/legacy scenes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
A Black Lotus card is almost worth enough to buy a Black Lotus car. It is now my goal in life to trade a black lotus for a black lotus.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit:
Universe Games in Minneapolis. Great employees, pretty much all the players are at least decent to chat & play with, but their singles prices flat out suck.

Clearly the problem here is that you aren't going to Mead Hall. Universe Games does have great employees though, I will not deny that.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit:

Game Universe stores (different stores) in the Milwaukee area I think told him to gently caress off and instead use SomeGuysCards. They're not much cheaper but if I buy cards from the store at least I know I'm not giving money to Bock.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

A Black Lotus card is almost worth enough to buy a Black Lotus car. It is now my goal in life to trade a black lotus for a black lotus.

He traded lands for rares.
He traded rares for power.
He traded power for lotus.

In the end, he traded lotus for lands.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm going to do one of those "paperclip to house" stories but with a land-destruction common to a black lotus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yawgmoth posted:

A Beta Lotus doesn't even buy you a 90's Elan.

• Locked thread