Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Those data logs in metroid prime about the space pirates trying to reverse engineer the morphball and loving it up hilariously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Super Metroid was also released recently on the wiiu.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I continue to be amazed how good Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are like a decade/2 decades later

like in that time period you would think a game that does what those games do as well or better would have happened but uhhhh

maybe I missed it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

At this time Ridley arrives and taunts Samus over the death of her parents and her failure to join the pirates. All this causes Samus to fall into a state of posttraumatic stress disorder due to repressed memories of the K-2L attack. Samus was saved later by her squad mates causing a distant distraction, and the newly rescued Chozo help Samus get over her posttraumatic stress.

Scene from Other M? No! This is from a manga published seven years before Other M's release.

But I'm just angry they retroactively ruined Super Metroid by making me not like Samus as much :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Scene from Other M? No! This is from a manga published seven years before Other M's release.

But I'm just angry they retroactively ruined Super Metroid by making me not like Samus as much :(

Wasn't that when she was literally like 5 years-old though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tenzarin posted:

The only way there will be a new good Metroid is if someone splits off and does it Mighty No. 9 style

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CrashCat posted:

The only way there will be a new good Metroid is if someone splits off and does it Mighty No. 9 style

No they want it to be good

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

No they want it to be good
i didn't mean done by that team you goober

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't that when she was literally like 5 years-old though

I think it would've been better if her backstory had never been written

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I have to give Metroid credit, it's the one mainline Nintendo series that they don't just keep remaking over and over with better graphics and a new control gimmick.

Shame about the actual end results, though.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

CrashCat posted:

Axiom verge

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

After Prime, I honestly can't imagine a good non-first-person fully-3d Metroid game. I can't think of too many great 3d exploration-based games that did it first-person, though I'm fine with being corrected.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Those data logs in metroid prime about the space pirates trying to reverse engineer the morphball and loving it up hilariously

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

theultimo posted:

Axiom verge

I didn't enjoy the bosses too much in that game

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Plan Z posted:

After Prime, I honestly can't imagine a good non-first-person fully-3d Metroid game. I can't think of too many great 3d exploration-based games that did it first-person, though I'm fine with being corrected.

I feel like they were on the right track with the action/shooty gameplay in Other M. It needed some fine tuning, but it could work for traditional Metroid gameplay in 3D.

One thing I felt they got wrong though is that Samus is supposed to be a tank and not a ninja. Maybe I'm misremembering but I remember QTE combos and poo poo where she does quick fluid vaults over enemy heads and stuff like that and it seemed a bit out of place. Sure, she can run fast and wall jump, but overall when playing any Metroid game she still feels heavy and fridge-like, even considering all of her abilities. Samus' fleet-footedness in Other M just felt a little... off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CrashCat posted:

Environmental Station Alpha

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Metroid Prime's writing was pretty dry IMO. Kind of makes sense given so much of it is science logs, but I dunno, I stopped reading them pretty quick. They could've injected some personality, some first-person accounts

I'm in a mean mood today, sorry

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samus was pretty nimble in the 2D games by Zero Mission and Fusion.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

theultimo posted:

Axiom verge
Isn't that a game made by just some fan, though?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Motto posted:

Samus was pretty nimble in the 2D games by Zero Mission and Fusion.

Even in Fusion and Zero Mission she felt somewhat like a truck with legs, especially when compared her Other M self.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, Samus wasn't ever that great of a character, in my opinion. The "oh wow she's a woman who doesn't need no man" revelation kind of doesn't matter, given that Nintendo was still so eager to reward players with pics of Samus in a skimpy outfit, undermining what's supposed to make her cool and likeable.

remember when that article tried to say samus was trans woman because the devs of the first game wrote samus as man in the first draft of the idea because some z tier indie dev wanted to stir up controversy.

http://www.themarysue.com/metroids-samus-aran-transgender-woman/

Jay Rust posted:

Is ridley even capble of speech outside of the comics? all i remember him doing is roaring and flying about.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

remember when that article tried to say samus was trans woman because the devs of the first game wrote samus as man in the first draft of the idea because some z tier indie dev wanted to stir up controversy.

http://www.themarysue.com/metroids-samus-aran-transgender-woman/

She does transform.....

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr E posted:

I didn't enjoy the bosses too much in that game

I thought they were pretty good though the final boss was kind of anticlimactic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79amfNwmAZs

:(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Environmental Station Alpha
Right answer

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I sorta liked that game. The thing is, it came out a year before arkham asylum reinvented brawling mechanics in action games.(for better in my opinion) If it ripped off those mechanics it might have been alright.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's a shame that Splinter Cell: Hobo Ops was cancelled because that probably would have been a kickass Bourne game for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04N6CXHp2s

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Sakamoto got shoved into a loving closet after that and he hasn't been allowed to touch anything major since, thankfully.
This is why the new Metroid game is going to be so good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why the new Metroid game is going to be so good.

I do not think it looks fun but at the same time, the devs have a good track record, so maybe actual gameplay will be good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It's a shame that Splinter Cell: Hobo Ops was cancelled because that probably would have been a kickass Bourne game for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04N6CXHp2s

yeah, i so wanted conviction to end up like that. but instead it was just an ok but linear as gently caress splinter cell game. You did get to execute a neo-con on the resolute desk though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, Samus wasn't ever that great of a character, in my opinion. The "oh wow she's a woman who doesn't need no man" revelation kind of doesn't matter, given that Nintendo was still so eager to reward players with pics of Samus in a skimpy outfit, undermining what's supposed to make her cool and likeable.

I fail to see how Samus being an attractive woman undermines her character. We have no idea what Samus' personal beliefs about her own body are, but besides the weird red bikini thing from Metroid 1, which may get a pass because they had limited options to actually depict her as a woman, Samus taking her armor off at the end of a mission always reflected to me how much she considered the mission "complete". If you got 100 percent of the stuff, she takes her whole suit off, job well done. It's slightly titillating, but it hardly "undermines" her character. For all we know, she's a weird exhibitionist in her spare time. And just posing briefly in her underwear (or, more believably, the Zero Suit) hardly objectifies her; if anything, it idolizes her, which may be similar in concept, but certainly different in intention.

A lot of Samus' personality was basically projected upon her by the fanbase. This is what makes the Sakamoto Other M rendition of her such a betrayal, of sorts; it attempts to not only put a fixed personality to Samus, but it does so in a way that removes everything cool and appealing to the character. Sakamoto strikes me, as most Japanese auteurs, to be a man with his head deeply inserted into his rear end, so I doubt he'd have cared about fan expectations to what Samus acted like, but his sense of propriety over the character, combined with a narrative that essentially felt like a weird sexless dom/sub relationship being played out to a backdrop of just loving stupid nonsense, really cements home that this guy clearly doesn't understand what people like about his character, and probably doesn't care. As it stands, with the Prime games, Sakamoto no longer holds sole "ownership" of Metroid's characters, which is another reason I suspect he dismissed them so famously; in his mind, they aren't relevant to the Metroid story he's trying to tell.

A new Metroid game would, preferably, do whatever it could to render Other M non-canon. Personally, I'd have it be turned into an in-universe movie or something, which Samus sees on a screen someplace briefly and turns off in disgust. But in all likelihood, and probably for the better, they'll just pretend it didn't happen, and probably not try to do another plot-heavy Metroid game again. Otherwise, we could write it off that Samus, like any fictional character, is subject to differing adaptations and can be seen in a variety of different forms and personalities, so long as the basic aspects are retained, a la Batman.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

other m's plot is meaningless anyway, most of it is rehashed from Fusion

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh no it is my biggest fear in the world *clothes fall off*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sakamoto strikes me, as most Japanese auteurs, to be a man with his head deeply inserted into his rear end,

hrm

e: other m's writing is pure rear end, but Sakamoto didn't "famously dismiss" Prime, he called it a side-story, which it is

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i so wanted conviction to end up like that. but instead it was just an ok but linear as gently caress splinter cell game. You did get to execute a neo-con on the resolute desk though.

From what I can tell the development cycle went something like this:

-Year one, develop dynamic chair-grabbing physics system
-Year two, oh gently caress we have to make an entire game out of this
-Year three, disregard years one and two

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Motto posted:

other m's plot is meaningless anyway, most of it is rehashed from Fusion

Fusion's plot is also bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Fusion's plot is also bad.
It's fine except for the weapon authorization thing. The X, the actual fusion, the SA-X, the station, etc. are all great Metroid ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

hrm

e: other m's writing is pure rear end, but Sakamoto didn't "famously dismiss" Prime, he called it a side-story, which it is

It's been awhile since I read the article, so you're probably right. People certainly thought he was being dismissive of it, which amounts to the same effect. And Prime is a "side-story" only in the case that there's a "main story" which basically means Metroid 1 and Super Metroid. I don't think those two games, great as they are, are so deeply instrumental to the "plot" of Metroid that they render all other games in the series as "side" titles. Basically, this asserts that Prime is less "important" to Samus's story than the Sakamoto-helmed games, which is certainly an assinine thing to say. I'd argue that all of the Prime games do great things in exploring Samus' origin, the universe she lives in, and we even get some chances to have other characters to banter at her in the third game. All of the Prime games tell good stories that keep with the feel of Metroid without undermining Samus or the universe she lives in (both of which are done in Other M.)

• Locked thread