Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress you that is still a great game. I still play it

Stockholm Syndrome can be cured with intensive therapy.

Anyway, Paradox Software is coming out with an awesome looking 4x called "Stellaris" which is going to get a Star Wars fan mod before a month is out. It will replace Rebellion in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

alg posted:

I love that people are actually hiding on Hoth and Dantooine and blowing up Alderaan

Where do we find these results?

FFG's site has always been a bit of a labyrinth.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Val Helmethead posted:

Where do we find these results?

FFG's site has always been a bit of a labyrinth.

FFG Twitter and Facebook. Not on the website. No I don't know why.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is the FFG Star Wars LCG any good? My standard of good would be "approaching how good the Decipher CCG was." i.e. doesn't have to be perfect, but should at least offer some strategic depth.

e: nvm I found the LCG thread...

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
I need more Armada talk in here to sate my need, before I end up buying *another* game I won't play...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm kind of resigning myself to never getting Armada to the table consistently, so I'm thinking about LCG. Though, I can't see the LCG sucking me in the same way that plastic spaceships did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think at this point the only way Armada sucks me in is if they do the Hammerhead Corvette from Rebels.
So I guess I have a few months until that happens :ohdear:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finster Dexter posted:

Is the FFG Star Wars LCG any good? My standard of good would be "approaching how good the Decipher CCG was." i.e. doesn't have to be perfect, but should at least offer some strategic depth.

It's far, far better than the Decipher game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523602&pagenumber=29#lastpost

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would probably play Armada if it didn't cost $200+ to field a halfway decent 400 point list for a tournament. I've spent a lot more on X-wing stuff, but I was tournament ready in less than $100 and everything after that is just gravy. Armada doesn't look like that's even possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Had a pretty fun game of Armada today. Imps versus imps, my rhymer blob did work even though Rhymer got sniped early. Obliterating a Demolisher in a single turn was pretty cool as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Strobe posted:

I would probably play Armada if it didn't cost $200+ to field a halfway decent 400 point list for a tournament. I've spent a lot more on X-wing stuff, but I was tournament ready in less than $100 and everything after that is just gravy. Armada doesn't look like that's even possible.

Maybe if you're buying everything at MSRP from a local shop where you're paying sales tax and everything on top of that. You can get the core set, a squadron pack or two, and a couple of extra ships of your choosing for less than $150 if you buy online.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I buy from local shops at MSRP, yes. Sometimes 10% off.

If I'm going to play there, I'm going to spend money there. It'd be incredibly rude to buy a burger from a cheap restaurant and then bring it into a sports bar to watch the game. Same thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Strobe posted:

I buy from local shops at MSRP, yes. Sometimes 10% off.

If I'm going to play there, I'm going to spend money there. It'd be incredibly rude to buy a burger from a cheap restaurant and then bring it into a sports bar to watch the game. Same thing.

Strobe, you're a goon what do you care about being rude?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Finster Dexter posted:

I have a copy of the game with 2 of the expansions that I opened and never played that I'm looking to sell. PM me if you want to make some sort of deal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I got my collection started via sales, Christmas sale for half off, and then CSI for my Imperial starter fleet. Rest I've bought from here, but its not as much as that initial outlay. It is a problem for people getting into Armada that's its rather expensive compared to X Wing, especially when X Wing has the established base. I don't have a good enough perspective on other mini games, but surely buying a starter fleet online and then going from there isn't horrible?

And my own collection isn't really big enough to split up to form two 400 points fleet, I mean it may be possible, but it'd be a stretch given what I own, if you wanted to borrow/try out stuff.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Eimi posted:

I got my collection started via sales, Christmas sale for half off, and then CSI for my Imperial starter fleet. Rest I've bought from here, but its not as much as that initial outlay. It is a problem for people getting into Armada that's its rather expensive compared to X Wing, especially when X Wing has the established base. I don't have a good enough perspective on other mini games, but surely buying a starter fleet online and then going from there isn't horrible?

This is the truth. No shop owner is gonna care where you got started in what game system, so long as once you get into it, you buy from them from time to time. If you go to a place where showing up with some toys you bought somewhere else either gets you disapproving looks or brings a tear to the game store owner's eye, then I really don't know what to tell you. I'm sure as hell not worried about hurting anybody's feelings with where I buy my poo poo. Of course I still pick up paints, new releases, etc. from where I play. If I can save a few dollars online or buy it at the store, I buy at the store. But if its something that the store sells for $100 MSRP and I can get it for $60 online without even waiting for a sale, then there's no way my FLGS is gonna be the one to make the sale.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of my FLGS' has a big sign on their game room door that gaming facilities are only for people who bought stuff there. No idea how hard they enforce that though.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nitis posted:

I need more Armada talk in here to sate my need, before I end up buying *another* game I won't play...

What are some easy to fly imp 300/400 point lists? The only thing I'm missing is the ISD since I've mostly been playing Rebs

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

And my own collection isn't really big enough to split up to form two 400 points fleet, I mean it may be possible, but it'd be a stretch given what I own, if you wanted to borrow/try out stuff.

The biggest issue, I think, is that the only things I actually want out of the starter box are the fighters, maneuver tool, range ruler, and damage deck. Maybe some upgrades. Neither the Nebulon nor the CR-90 interest me as a capital ship.

That makes it rather more pricey to set up a list. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

The biggest issue, I think, is that the only things I actually want out of the starter box are the fighters, maneuver tool, range ruler, and damage deck. Maybe some upgrades. Neither the Nebulon nor the CR-90 interest me as a capital ship.

That makes it rather more pricey to set up a list. :v:

Well...you can buy dice and maneuver tool separately, no dice on the damage deck sadly. And I have an extra acrylic range ruler set from tournies. So I guess you'd need to figure out how to get a damage deck. And since I'm assuming you want to run Rebels people generally want to buy at least 2x of the fighter pack so that's 4x X wings again. (Oh you'd also need rocks.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 8, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The solution for now, unfortunately, is just "play X-wing instead". I'll get Armada eventually (probably), it's just not in the cards (:v:) for a while. EDIT: Especially with convention season coming up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What are some easy to fly imp 300/400 point lists? The only thing I'm missing is the ISD since I've mostly been playing Rebs

Uhm, what are you looking for in a list? The way I see it there are three basic list types for Imperials, Big Slow Ships, Quick Fast Ships, and Squadrons. Of those, the first and last will be easier to set up then the middle, and easier to play mostly. Sadly you don't have an ISD and that's sort of the anchor for a lot of Imperial lists these days. If you have the ships can try and do like VVGR with a bunch of air superiority squadrons. It gives you a lot of activations at least. The list I use for that type of set up is,

quote:

Commander: Grand Moff Tarkin

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Intel Sweep

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
- Dominator ( 12 points)
- Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams ( 6 points)

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
- Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams ( 6 points)

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
- Insidious ( 3 points)
- Ordnance Experts ( 4 points)

[ flagship ] Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
- Grand Moff Tarkin ( 38 points)

2 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 16 points)
1 TIE Interceptor Squadron ( 11 points)
1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points)
1 Soontir Fel ( 18 points)
1 TIE Advanced Squadron ( 12 points)
(Shamelessly stolen from another goon)

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Eimi posted:

Uhm, what are you looking for in a list? The way I see it there are three basic list types for Imperials, Big Slow Ships, Quick Fast Ships, and Squadrons. Of those, the first and last will be easier to set up then the middle, and easier to play mostly. Sadly you don't have an ISD and that's sort of the anchor for a lot of Imperial lists these days. If you have the ships can try and do like VVGR with a bunch of air superiority squadrons. It gives you a lot of activations at least. The list I use for that type of set up is,
(Shamelessly stolen from another goon)

Oh, hey, that's shamelessly stolen from me! How has that been flying for you?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

Oh, hey, that's shamelessly stolen from me! How has that been flying for you?

Only used it a couple of times, but it's been nice having that many activations. I'd probably use it more if I faced more Rebels but they are practically non existent in this meta. The times I have it's been nice to disrupt Ackbar shenanigans with.

My own list I use most often is an ISD2/VSD1 core that I used to have another VSD1 with, but I'm experimenting with a GSD2. I don't like using a Raider as anti squadron, but people have been going HEAVY RnV squadrons (One guy had 8 YV-666s last tourney) that I'd like some two dice AS that doesn't come from my ISD or a ship I feel is just 48 free points to the enemy.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

jivjov posted:

One of my FLGS' has a big sign on their game room door that gaming facilities are only for people who bought stuff there. No idea how hard they enforce that though.

That kind of thing is silly. Just imagine a new player wandering into an x-wing game night, starter set they purchased from Target in hand, trying to test the waters and see if they want to play and are met with BUY SOMETHING OR GET OUT. You might be asked to tone it down if you're flaunting purchases made elsewhere, maybe even asked to leave if you're a jackass about it of course, but that's about as far as you can reasonably go before you start pissing off and even running off potential customers. Nerds are a cliquey little group, and if one too many people who have a hand in organization or are simply just popular players in the local scene for whatever game starts telling people about how they had a few bad experiences at a particular store and won't be going back, or that they won't be coordinating with that business for events any longer, that can lead to a significant amount of business lost when the local scene all but ignores your store. I know not many game store owners are all that business savvy, but you have to recognize what is and is not worth doing to try to keep yourself afloat, and telling people off for daring to bring in purchases from other establishments is not the way to go. If you offer a decent place to game and keep a good stock, people will come back to hang out, and they will buy things.

Like I said, most of my purchases come from one of many game stores in the area that I've attended tournaments at, volunteered to help run demos for, and have in general supported over the years as a place where I can go to get a game in every now and again. I won't buy something on Amazon to save $3 over buying it from a local store. But if the difference between MSRP and the online price is something like $40, I'll be making that purchase online, thank you very much.

Furthermore, Strobe, I'm gonna need you to buy into Armada and run maxed out x-wings all day erry day, thanks in advance.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is everybody is using for storage for Armada stuff in particular? I've only got the first wave of stuff and I don't think just the box is not going to cut it anymore if i bought more.

I'm also curious about solutions for X-Wing, I followed the OP in that thread about it but now that the game is so much bigger than it was i wonder if there's anything better than those plano boxes?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is everybody is using for storage for Armada stuff in particular? I've only got the first wave of stuff and I don't think just the box is not going to cut it anymore if i bought more.

I'm also curious about solutions for X-Wing, I followed the OP in that thread about it but now that the game is so much bigger than it was i wonder if there's anything better than those plano boxes?

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/en/fishing/site/details/8010

I can store all of my tokens, templates, and cards from both x-wing and armada in one of these, while leaving plenty of breathing space for a fleet or two and several squadrons in the top compartment. I've had this same tackle box for like 15 years.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I've been using one Feldherr bag, with the wave one Imperial foam stuff, to store my VSD's, fighters, GSD, and raider, and sticking my Imperials in the box. The main two models I wanted to ensure I protect were the VSD with its antenna and my fighters, so it works for now. Of course such a solution isn't scaleable and I'll need to find other stuff for wave 3 and beyond most likely but it works for now.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

jivjov posted:

It's about time. Because, you know, if people who use "FLGSs" actually paid the super-special premium for all of the joy and wonder they bring, those of us who want to buy poo poo online at deep discounts because we don't use FLGSs could stop subsidizing people who do use FLGSs.

Because that's really why the Asmodee's of the world are jacking prices. It's to protect the FLGSs against free riders. That's really the reason. It is.

P.S. Okay, I'm not sure where that rant came from. But I really hate the whole "FLGSs are precious, we should all pay to protect them" thing, and the price screwage that it is used to justify.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 8, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It makes sense for a manufacturer to sell products to stores that promote their products and support their organized play at a better price than online warehouses. The game wouldn't exist without FLGS. 30% discount instead of 50% discount is hardly being screwed.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If you have a harbor freight (cheapo tool store), they sell plastic organizers that are the perfect size for xwing ships in the packing molded plastic.

http://m.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 8, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SlyFrog posted:

It's about time. Because, you know, if people who use "FLGSs" actually paid the super-special premium for all of the joy and wonder they bring, those of us who want to buy poo poo online at deep discounts because we don't use FLGSs could stop subsidizing people who do use FLGSs.

Because that's really why the Asmodee's of the world are jacking prices. It's to protect the FLGSs against free riders. That's really the reason. It is.

P.S. Okay, I'm not sure where that rant came from. But I really hate the whole "FLGSs are precious, we should all pay to protect them" thing, and the price screwage that it is used to justify.

I've heard the argument (maybe substantive?) that game stores drive most of the hobby's growth, so protecting them is good for everyone.

And even if you're buying online you might well be using FLGS: isn't most of the stock moved online offloaded by game stores when it doesn't sell on shelves?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

alg posted:

It makes sense for a manufacturer to sell products to stores that promote their products and support their organized play at a better price than online warehouses. The game wouldn't exist without FLGS. 30% discount instead of 50% discount is hardly being screwed.

I mostly agree, but there are also a lot of lovely FLGS out there that don't give a poo poo about poo poo other than Friday Night Magic (for example). Oh yay you have a few wobbly tables covered in soda residue and sweat. Worst case scenario Asmodee would sell all their goods through coolstuffinc and amazon, and I'd go back to playing board games and RPG at home and the local library, like I used to "back in the day".

And I'm not trying to say FLGS should fail, because there are some good ones locally, and I DO try to support them, because they actually put some effort into running events, etc. But there's others that are just garbage.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The FLGS round here are pretty good, and I certainly wouldn't play if I couldn't go out there to meet people so I do like to support them when I can. On the other hand, I wouldn't have gotten started with Armada without picking up my initial outlay at a discount. :shrug:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

I mostly agree, but there are also a lot of lovely FLGS out there that don't give a poo poo about poo poo other than Friday Night Magic (for example). Oh yay you have a few wobbly tables covered in soda residue and sweat. Worst case scenario Asmodee would sell all their goods through coolstuffinc and amazon, and I'd go back to playing board games and RPG at home and the local library, like I used to "back in the day".

And I'm not trying to say FLGS should fail, because there are some good ones locally, and I DO try to support them, because they actually put some effort into running events, etc. But there's others that are just garbage.

People who try to argue that games have some sort of moral obligation to support all game stores everywhere are dumb, but if you have a good game store and want it to continue to exist then there's pretty much only one way to do so and it involves voting with your wallet. So, y'know, don't patronize the lovely ones and support the good ones, makes sense to me. I probably wouldn't be gaming at all these days if I didn't have a good FLGS to do so at, so the guy who runs it gets most of my business. The place I've started going to for X-Wing tournaments is clean and the staff is nice and it seems to have a fairly active community, so I'll probably be supporting them too. There's another game store in the area which is more crowded and dingy and basically all anyone plays there is Magic so, y'know, not so much.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

alg posted:

Saying the game wouldn't exist without FLGS begs the question. It would for me. I don't buy them from the FLGS, and I don't go there. Why should people who do use the FLGS pay more for it? Why should I subsidize them?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I guess if you produced the game yourself it would exist for you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You can just say "I'm mad because my online discounts aren't as deep as they used to be" and leave it at that, you don't have to try and spin this as some sort of tyranny of the FLGS thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SlyFrog posted:

Saying the game wouldn't exist without FLGS begs the question. It would for me. I don't buy them from the FLGS, and I don't go there. Why should people who do use the FLGS pay more for it? Why should I subsidize them?

But you are buying from an FLGS, since most of the product sold online is FLGS surplus? And the consumer base that makes game-making possible is created and expanded by game shops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

alg posted:

Yeah I guess if you produced the game yourself it would exist for you.

This isn't even intelligible.

Kai Tave posted:

You can just say "I'm mad because my online discounts aren't as deep as they used to be" and leave it at that, you don't have to try and spin this as some sort of tyranny of the FLGS thing.

No, you're saying that, apparently because you cannot credibly respond to what I actually said, so you need to engage in the logical fallacy of strawman statements.