Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

What are the most profitable/fun modes of combat? Should i be doing mining and other non combat things to fuel my fighting instead?

Does EVE have a stock market

A stock market: no.

But EVE does have a market interface that lets you buy into positions that you think will grow much in the same way that the stock market does. For instance, if I think that the low supply of Cerberus ships on the Jita market right now is a signal for a price increase on Cerberus ships as the weekend warriors log in and seek to refit, I might buy a batch of 10 and sit on them until midday Saturday before trying to unload.

You can buy into both short term and very long term patch speculation'y positions with EVE's market and it's a lot of fun because it will teach you how the game works as you spend time researching what you are buying into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

What are the most profitable/fun modes of combat? Should i be doing mining and other non combat things to fuel my fighting instead?

Mining isnt great isk. In fact it is poo poo isk unless you have like 8 characters. Do missions for now I guess. Eve doesnt have a stock market but a lot of people do commodities trading.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Nothing is better than seeing a true newbie play this game and be in awe.

I truly envy this good naivete. :3:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Phi230 posted:

Most profitable form of combat: Suicide ganking.

The "high-security" areas of space aren't really safe -- you're actually allowed to shoot other players there. If you shoot someone, CONCORD (the in-game NPC police force) will show up a few seconds later and kill your ship; they cannot be avoided, and you can't tank them. BUT, if you can kill a target before CONCORD can get there, they stay dead, and you can scoop their loot (and yours) if you can get there with an alt before anyone else. So, suicide gankers use cargo scanners and ship scanners to identify hauler ships with high-value cargo, and sacrifice their own ships to kill that hauler and steal its cargo. It's really fun, and it's profitable, but it's occasionally monotonous.

Most fun form of combat: No good answer.

There's a ton of different forms of combat -- solo, small gangs of various sizes, larger fleets, and huge multi-fleet coalition work. Try them all and see what works for you.

Eve does allow in-game corporations to issue stock, but you can't trade stock certificates between people, or sell them, so it's not really useful for anything. At most, some idiot pubbie corps use it to implement voting systems.

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Wrez is gay.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I, too, am gay.

Video Games: Get some money, fly a Merlin. They're pretty. Or maybe fly a Venture, I guess, if you want to mine.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Despera posted:

Ill do that, but you are getting the parody instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A

:stonklol:

Well, I'm already subbed so I might as well get back in on this. It was stated earlier that old, inactive forum accounts were removed. The last time I was active was in 2009 so I'm guessing that my old account is gone and I should take the newbie route, right?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Videogames is going to end up with 2 trillion isk from the thread newbie showering him.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

d64 posted:

So what is the pvp in this game like actually? I guess it is more like classic UO style pvp where you prowl for easy targets to kill and then sell their katanas, not like more modern team/arena type games? I'm sort of interested but as I've become older pvp has lost some of it's interest to me.

Also, if in game comms are half as difficult to follow as this thread is, I guess I have no chance.

Pretty much. When you're alone or in a small group it's actually pretty hard to force a competent pilot or group in to a fight that isn't solidly in their favor, so a lot more about creating the illusion that they have the advantage. You can do this in a lot of different ways - hide your numbers, act stupid, fly a gimmicky ship, kite an individual away from their group, etc.

The actual mechanics are relatively boring. The actual piloting isn't really intuitive or rewarding but the act of planning your ships fittings with an engagement style or gimmick in mind and then trying to go out and do it is super rewarding. Honestly the game id compare it most to in that aspect is dota2: they are both games that reward setting personal goals and achieving them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
PL supers wiped out a hostile procurer fleet in Deklein.

On the upside I think they also knocked out the main tower in YA0 so I'll no longer have to worry about random cyno jams locking down my freighter fleet for a day. :v:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Mean people on the Internet made a girl on the Internet rage quit from her own stream because her sister (the one that isn't pregnant and sometimes drinks and drives) got slammed by a stop sign. Not sure whether it was the stop sign that slammed her or something else entirely. It was glorious. Would click pap link again.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Jacada posted:

Mean people on the Internet made a girl on the Internet rage quit from her own stream because her sister (the one that isn't pregnant and sometimes drinks and drives) got slammed by a stop sign. Not sure whether it was the stop sign that slammed her or something else entirely. It was glorious. Would click pap link again.

Didn't her grandfather die yesterday too?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
GUYS, BE CAREFUL, THERE ARE INSTALOCKING SVIPULS IN 8S!!

:lol:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Didn't her grandfather die yesterday too?

That was last week apparently.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Jacada posted:

That was last week apparently.

Poor girl just can't catch a break.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Had fun in a Swordfleet yesterday. Killed tons of stuff and barely lost anyone. I <3 this game sometimes.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
In about an hour, we'll officially be space enemies again.

Should be good. In before 'PL mouthpiece'.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Xolve posted:

wat

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

dont post like the rest of them and it's fine to be a bad guy :)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Fucks going on anyway

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I see only one solution to this. We have to build a time machine and send Boat back in time to tell Mittens to stay out of low sec.

Also to get the cap fleet in shape because while we spent two years sitting on the supercap throne. Drinking Graths beer and eating his fried chicken. He spent two years at the supercap gym and our flabby cheetos covered supers are getting their butts kicked.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Like when I'm pining for the days of ordo loving garr you know shits hosed.

bring back widestancer

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

scandoslav posted:

bring back widestancer

:rip:

working with ArcGIS killed her iirc.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Xolve posted:

I thought you sold your character? Or did you keep some in reserve?

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine
Also this dank cap brawl, goddamn, thanks for having some balls guys, I'm surprised the Hel didn't eat poo poo.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
are you 12? who the gently caress describes poo poo as dank

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

are you 12? who the gently caress describes poo poo as dank

Powers taught me :sun:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
That was fast. I was in comms and people were wondering when this is gonna be reported on.

Nothin about that amazing Grindr dunk (and amazing reporter stream) on here though.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Video Games I am docked with you and ready to take care of rats while you mine.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

That Golem skin is sexy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Speaking of hels they goina be leet next patch

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

:rip:

working with ArcGIS killed her iirc.

It'll do that. Such incredibly poor software with pretty much no alternative. I've moved to trying to use PostGIS/Qgis instead and it's clunkier but doesn't crash every other minute.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Every Caldari ship should have a Kaalakiota skin. It's the best.

Also seeing how people have their UI set up is always real neat to me.

awesomecopter
Aug 16, 2012

Xolve posted:

Mittens has all of 682 posts here since 2004.

That's not exactly active.

Shut up idiot.

I think mittens altposts on SA and keeps the numismancer account just for EVE posting.

I think...

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I went on Asher's fleet just now.

Why did everyone devolve into talking about crass kitty or whatever the gently caress and why are out "valued allies" talking about asking her about her cupsize?

Perhaps we need to lose this war. :negative:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Spiteski posted:

So I went on Asher's fleet just now.

Why did everyone devolve into talking about crass kitty or whatever the gently caress and why are out "valued allies" talking about asking her about her cupsize?

Perhaps we need to lose this war. :negative:

http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=1978&b=6979615&e=90&t=bfeve

was fun

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Xolve posted:

You can't be a mouthpiece if you don't actually play the game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dragonstalking posted:

Also this dank cap brawl, goddamn, thanks for having some balls

~generic mmo pvp man~

April Fool
Apr 1, 2016

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is with the circa 2008 double doomsday Megathron fits?

• Locked thread