Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Orv posted:

My understanding was that given the time passed between the various games his armor has just been wandering in a weird attempt at continuing the service he abandoned.

Well poo poo, I forgot to double check the Dragon Slayer Armor soul description. Seems like that confirms gives more evidence that Ornstein died in DS1.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That or we killed his consciousness in DS1, killed his still-animate but mindless corpse in DS2, and finished off his ownerless armor in DS3. Guy can't catch a break. Also it strongly suggests that Smough canonically dies first, since Smough's lack of reappearance as anything but his gear would be consistent with Ornstein consuming his soul.

Or it could just be a case of time being a jumbled mess and souls and symbols being able to recur throughout history as part of the cycle of souls. The Chosen Undead put Seath's soul in the Lordvessel and it returned to influence Duke Tseldora and Oceiros, the Old Iron King was touched by Gwyn's soul and copied him by building a cathedral-like castle with an army of knights. The mere fact you can get somebody's soul and eat it or turn it into a sword or whatever might not prevent their eventual reincarnation or somesuch. Also things that gain a lot of souls might develop a soul themselves, if Dragonslayer Armour, which is explicitly NOT a person but a suit of armor is any indication.

EDIT: Another example would be the Soul of Cinder, which is the collective consciousness of the "exalted lords" given form. You probably didn't permanently destroy that just because you exchanged it for a Sunlight Spear scroll.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 8, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the Dragonslayer Armor is being controlled by the pilgrim butterflies floating around. Not really convinced it has anything to do with Ornstein anyway.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
If we're making tenuous connections between gameplay and story, the boss we're discussing does not suffer bleed damage.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Summoning question for you fine early folks!

In Bloodborne the password system allowed you to bypass level restriction and play with your friends regardless of level. Is there a range for the password system or does that still work?

And more importantly.

Regarding Sunlight Spear

Harrow posted:

Well, uh... It's one if the things you can make with the final boss's soul.

Can you drop boss souls for people? :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaldaris posted:

Summoning question for you fine early folks!

In Bloodborne the password system allowed you to bypass level restriction and play with your friends regardless of level. Is there a range for the password system or does that still work?

And more importantly.

Regarding Sunlight Spear

Can you drop boss souls for people? :unsmigghh:

Still works, and yes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

What the hell are the Pilgrim Butterflies anyway? Outside of some flavor text on a piece of armor, there's nothing else about this.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

After using it a bit more, red hilted halberd is totally amazing. R1 is so safe and spammable that several annoying enemies are now trivial, and the damage has caught up with a couple upgrades. Still need to find another refined gem for it, but definitely is a strong option.

Also had something amazing occur in smoldering lake. Ran past the fire demon to the mimic chest, and he used his flame breath, which hit me and the mimic. The mimic wasnt happy about that, so ran over and destroyed the fire demon in just a couple hits. Definitely the best enemy interaction I've seen so far.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 8, 2016

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

What does the shortcut to the Dancer entail?

Also, is PS4 going to have pre-load available for PSN preorders?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

FireWorksWell posted:

What does the shortcut to the Dancer entail?

Also, is PS4 going to have pre-load available for PSN preorders?

Kill Emma, the NPC who gives you the banner to raise in High Wall of Lothric

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I'm getting ready to do a very un-Dark Souls thing and admit total defeat against the Dancer of the Boreal Valley- At least until the English Xbox One version gets online and I can summon for the boss. I've got her attack patterns down solid in phase 1, but I just cannot do effective damage against her in phase 2. Hugging the pillars on the side of the arena keeps me safe, but I have no way of doing effective damage without getting slaughtered by a combo. Pyromancy does a reasonable amount of damage, but leaves me too wide open to attack. I'm sure I've tried this boss at least 30 times. Any advice for Phase 2? and is it possible to summon an NPC for this fight that I may have missed?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
v1.02 numbers - 85INT, no equip, +10 S-scaling staff, CSS (first 3 aggressive hollows at high wall)

v1.03 numbers - same setup

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Harrier posted:

I'm getting ready to do a very un-Dark Souls thing and admit total defeat against the Dancer of the Boreal Valley- At least until the English Xbox One version gets online and I can summon for the boss. I've got her attack patterns down solid in phase 1, but I just cannot do effective damage against her in phase 2. Hugging the pillars on the side of the arena keeps me safe, but I have no way of doing effective damage without getting slaughtered by a combo. Pyromancy does a reasonable amount of damage, but leaves me too wide open to attack. I'm sure I've tried this boss at least 30 times. Any advice for Phase 2? and is it possible to summon an NPC for this fight that I may have missed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGE6OYM8lq0

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm going to guess they're doing it normally so they can't summon Sword Master since Vordt is dead.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

v1.02 numbers - 85INT, no equip, +10 S-scaling staff, CSS (first 3 aggressive hollows at high wall)

Oh baby.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Space Harrier posted:

Stay behind her, she overswings like woah. You can actually just walk though much of the swingy stuff. Don't get far away.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Thanks, but... I'm not sure what to take away from this video. An NPC is available in this area? I thought I had checked pretty thouroughly while embered, but couldn't find a sign.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

VextheGrey posted:

Stay behind her, she overswings like woah. You can actually just walk though much of the swingy stuff. Don't get far away.

So, the old bury-your-face-in-the-bosses'-rear end strategy applies here, eh? Hadn't really tried that since the game has been pretty good at discouraging that in other encounters.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Space Harrier posted:

So, the old bury-your-face-in-the-bosses'-rear end strategy applies here, eh? Hadn't really tried that since the game has been pretty good at discouraging that in other encounters.

The more obvious the boss's rear end, the more viable the strategy.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Cool, I've also been having alot of fun with the breakdance greatsword + parrying dagger. What is that weapon actually called?

Farron Greatsword. I just got it last night, the L1 spam is hilarious and awesome.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SL33 in the cathedral, invasions are like 5 minutes between with, no upgrades to my weapons, same area and SL25 my +3 invader is busier than a safe space director at a coastal state university.

Feels like that matchingsystem can gently caress invaders over by hard-placing you in a queue based on your highest possible weapon reinforcement level section, not matching upwards like the old dickwraithing matchmaking did. You need to be just the right weaponlevel, no more, no less. Cathedral on a +10 max feels best at +3.

e: Took it to +2 and invasion hit in FIVE SECONDS. EVIDENCE. Same for the amount of summon signs seen until that point. Stupidly strict system.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Thanks for the advice on the dancer. Finally beat her. Gonna put this game down for a while. I lost track of how many times I attempted... Probably something crazy like 50. Haven't been that hung up on a boss since Ornstein and Smough.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Has anyone ever invaded as a red phantom (pure red, Rosaria's fingers) and had enemies in the host's world aggro on them? It's happened to me twice now and it's really frustrating. And I don't mean that some enemies have been hit with undead rapport, I mean all of the enemies treat me as though I'm a white/gold phantom or the host.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed a streamer is in the sunlight covenant, but is invading worlds and killing hosts as a gold phantom... is this just as simple as being in the covenant but using a red eye orb / soap stone or something?

Skull Knight fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 9, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Skull Knight posted:

I noticed a streamer is in the sunlight covenant, but is invading worlds and killing hosts as a gold phantom... is this just as simple as being in the covenant but using a red eye orb / soap stone or something?

apparently yes. you also get a sunlight medal for PVP kills from what I read which is kind of funny and seems like it could be a bug . from the screens I've seen it's not quite the same gold aura as you get from assisting, there's a slight red tinge to it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hmm...10 burgerking kills...1 shield...
Hmm...

Should have gone all luck then respecced later!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

goferchan posted:

apparently yes. you also get a sunlight medal for PVP kills from what I read which is kind of funny and seems like it could be a bug . from the screens I've seen it's not quite the same gold aura as you get from assisting, there's a slight red tinge to it

According to an AMA from some guy who worked on the strategy guide this is intentional. The covenant item you wear affects what kind of invasion the red eye orb produces. For example, you're more likely to invade a world that already has a red phantom in it if you're a Sunlight Warrior (and will get a sunlight medal for killing the host), whereas the mound maker covenant will have you invade as a purple phantom.

I don't think this is the reason why I've bad those weird invasions where enemies aggro on me though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I haven't had enemies aggro on me, but some/all can do damage to me as a defense invader, ex. the swamp crabs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nickoten posted:

I don't think this is the reason why I've bad those weird invasions where enemies aggro on me though.

Seed of a Giant Tree. Check your status effects under your HP bar and look for a seed icon. It's a consumable that makes enemies aggro on invaders; you can get some from the giant tree near the Firelink tower entrance if you've been invaded before.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nickoten, the Dragonless Age refers to the fact that Kalameet is the last of the so-called "ancient" dragons. Seath does not count as an ancient dragon because he has no scales... which explains why he decided to betray them.

AKA, it's the Age of Fire.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Nickoten posted:

Has anyone ever invaded as a red phantom (pure red, Rosaria's fingers) and had enemies in the host's world aggro on them? It's happened to me twice now and it's really frustrating. And I don't mean that some enemies have been hit with undead rapport, I mean all of the enemies treat me as though I'm a white/gold phantom or the host.

Seed of a Tree of Giants

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

net cafe scandal posted:

Its such a blissful feeling figuring out your first build. Heres what Im going for.

SL125. Quality/Faith. Dragonslayer Spear, Dragonslayer Greatbow + Havel's Ring and Chained Prisoner Ring

VIG 29 (+5 = 34)
ATT 24
END 18 (+5 = 23)
VIT 27 (+5 = 32)
STR 20
DEX 40
INT 9
FTH 40
LCK 7

Once I get upgrades to the Havel's Ring I'll take away from VIT and feed that into.. Faith? HP? Maybe int if theres a cool chime that requires it.

I'm ready.

Now that spells are fixed, I'm going to play a Herald.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For when the international release drops it would be nice if we could compile spoiler-free tips that will help them, anything to add?

Wanna save your embers? - Drop the white sign and help someone defeat a boss to ember up for free
No co-op/PvP happening? - Upgrade the weapon one notch. If using a weapon with rare ingredients, upgrade something else past it, then try again

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

Nickoten, the Dragonless Age refers to the fact that Kalameet is the last of the so-called "ancient" dragons. Seath does not count as an ancient dragon because he has no scales... which explains why he decided to betray them.

AKA, it's the Age of Fire.

I mean DS1 certainly does seem like a dragonless time, but DS3 also makes it sound like the Age of Fire was the "Age of the Gods" which it appears to treat differently. I really have no idea to be honest.

Thanks for the tip about the seed by the way, all of you who posted that.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Now that spells are fixed, I'm going to play a Herald.

:banjo:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Looking forward to the dark arts of faith

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I intended to play a faith character first regardless of how hosed up the miracles were as a true sign of my devotion to the lord. umbasa

Orv
May 4, 2011
Giant Seed aside, I think abyss infested enemies can hit all players, but I'd need to test it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nickoten posted:

To my knowledge this only happens if you're a Mound Maker who puts a white sign down. Cause then you're co-oping, technically, but as a Mound Maker you can still murder the host/other phantoms.

Orv posted:

Giant Seed aside, I think abyss infested enemies can hit all players, but I'd need to test it some more.

The abyss hollow things definitely can.

• Locked thread