Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I fail to see how Samus being an attractive woman undermines her character. We have no idea what Samus' personal beliefs about her own body are, but besides the weird red bikini thing from Metroid 1, which may get a pass because they had limited options to actually depict her as a woman, Samus taking her armor off at the end of a mission always reflected to me how much she considered the mission "complete". If you got 100 percent of the stuff, she takes her whole suit off, job well done. It's slightly titillating, but it hardly "undermines" her character. For all we know, she's a weird exhibitionist in her spare time. And just posing briefly in her underwear (or, more believably, the Zero Suit) hardly objectifies her; if anything, it idolizes her, which may be similar in concept, but certainly different in intention.

A lot of Samus' personality was basically projected upon her by the fanbase. This is what makes the Sakamoto Other M rendition of her such a betrayal, of sorts; it attempts to not only put a fixed personality to Samus, but it does so in a way that removes everything cool and appealing to the character. Sakamoto strikes me, as most Japanese auteurs, to be a man with his head deeply inserted into his rear end, so I doubt he'd have cared about fan expectations to what Samus acted like, but his sense of propriety over the character, combined with a narrative that essentially felt like a weird sexless dom/sub relationship being played out to a backdrop of just loving stupid nonsense, really cements home that this guy clearly doesn't understand what people like about his character, and probably doesn't care. As it stands, with the Prime games, Sakamoto no longer holds sole "ownership" of Metroid's characters, which is another reason I suspect he dismissed them so famously; in his mind, they aren't relevant to the Metroid story he's trying to tell.

A new Metroid game would, preferably, do whatever it could to render Other M non-canon. Personally, I'd have it be turned into an in-universe movie or something, which Samus sees on a screen someplace briefly and turns off in disgust. But in all likelihood, and probably for the better, they'll just pretend it didn't happen, and probably not try to do another plot-heavy Metroid game again. Otherwise, we could write it off that Samus, like any fictional character, is subject to differing adaptations and can be seen in a variety of different forms and personalities, so long as the basic aspects are retained, a la Batman.

Respecting women means demanding that they be covered head to toe, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh no it is my biggest fear in the world *clothes fall off*
Oh no, its the giant purple dragon I've murdered fifteen times already up until now. Whelp, time to have a mental breakdown.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's been awhile since I read the article, so you're probably right. People certainly thought he was being dismissive of it, which amounts to the same effect. And Prime is a "side-story" only in the case that there's a "main story" which basically means Metroid 1 and Super Metroid. I don't think those two games, great as they are, are so deeply instrumental to the "plot" of Metroid that they render all other games in the series as "side" titles. Basically, this asserts that Prime is less "important" to Samus's story than the Sakamoto-helmed games, which is certainly an assinine thing to say. I'd argue that all of the Prime games do great things in exploring Samus' origin, the universe she lives in, and we even get some chances to have other characters to banter at her in the third game. All of the Prime games tell good stories that keep with the feel of Metroid without undermining Samus or the universe she lives in (both of which are done in Other M.)

it just means that the 2D and 3D games are about different things and don't really affect one another. the 2D ones are about metroids and poo poo, the Primes are about dunking everything in Phazon, which conveniently disappears from the universe after 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

it just means that the 2D and 3D games are about different things and don't really affect one another. the 2D ones are about metroids and poo poo, the Primes are about dunking everything in Phazon, which conveniently disappears from the universe after 3.
Well Samus did blow up the source of all Phazon at the end of Prime 3.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

Oh no, its the giant purple dragon I've murdered fifteen times already up until now. Whelp, time to have a mental breakdown.

What a goddamn joke. WHY does her suit vanish like that in no loving version of Metroid has her suit been made out of pure energy or whatever. Even if it WAS an energy-based technology, why the gently caress is it attached to her emotional state? Panicking is a human reaction and involuntary, it's such a glaring design flaw that I can't even fathom how anyone would think it a good idea. The Chozo built sentient statues and transcended physical form to become energy ghosts but apparently a bad day or a moment of shock or alarm is enough to render one of their greatest weapons completely useless.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Hey do you guys remember Phazon?"

"What?"

"Phazon. Remember? It was all over the place for like three, maybe four years."

"Was it a drink?"

"No no, it was a goo. It made things bigger and they glowed. Like the mutagen from Ninja Turtles."

"Oh... okay, cool. Cool."

"The space pirates were into it."

"The lobster dudes?"

"They're not... look, they just have big hands. Big claw hands."

"Oh. So uh... why are we on this planet again?"

"Metroids."

"What's a Metroid?"

"Big floaty thing. Eats your brains."

"Huh. Hope one doesn't get into the Phazon."

"Nah, that stuff's gone."

"What, like all of it?"

"Yeah."

"Huh."

"Yep."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, Metroid was far and away my favorite Nintendo franchise. poo poo sucks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Hey do you guys remember Phazon?"

"What?"

"Phazon. Remember? It was all over the place for like three, maybe four years."

"Was it a drink?"

"No no, it was a goo. It made things bigger and they glowed. Like the mutagen from Ninja Turtles."

"Oh... okay, cool. Cool."

"The space pirates were into it."

"The lobster dudes?"

"They're not... look, they just have big hands. Big claw hands."

"Oh. So uh... why are we on this planet again?"

"Metroids."

"What's a Metroid?"

"Big floaty thing. Eats your brains."

"Huh. Hope one doesn't get into the Phazon."

"Nah, that stuff's gone."

"What, like all of it?"

"Yeah."

"Huh."

"Yep."

I mean, to be fair, there are only three other Metroid stories besides Prime (Zero Mission being a remake) and it would have been even weirder if Phazon showed up in literally every one. I liked Phazon best in Prime 1, where it was just a weird super-radioactive alien mineral that hosed up whatever it touched.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They jettisoned all the Phazon to the Star Fox galaxy, which is why Assault is all about you fighting purple crystal bug monsters and infected people.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

Well Samus did blow up the source of all Phazon at the end of Prime 3.

I do like that giant mechanical one-eyed supercomputer brains are just a thing in the metroid universe.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What percentage of metroid games are good games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

What percentage of metroid games are good games
Most of them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

not delving into spinoffs, all of them besides Other M are at least alright. the NES game is kind of a pain to play, but it has a good remake in Zero Mission.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's fine except for the weapon authorization thing. The X, the actual fusion, the SA-X, the station, etc. are all great Metroid ideas.

The federation betraying Samus and all the melodrama with the computer is totally unnecessary bunk. I also wish the game would actually let you loving explore instead of locking and unlocking areas all the time. And I really didn't like all the stupid elevator monologues crammed down my throat. It really was a precursor to all the problems of Other M.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's more linear than the typical metroid, and getting locked into exposition rooms got tiring, esp since a lot of them were reminding you of stuff you already had a marker for. Still really like it though; being my first Metroid probably helped.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The federation betraying Samus and all the melodrama with the computer is totally unnecessary bunk. I also wish the game would actually let you loving explore instead of locking and unlocking areas all the time. And I really didn't like all the stupid elevator monologues crammed down my throat. It really was a precursor to all the problems of Other M.

There are, like, three total elevator monologues, and two of them are right at the start. Locking and unlocking sections is kind of pain, but it doesn't really function any differently than other Metroid games, where you're simply blocked by terrain you cannot pass for whatever reason. Plus, the game is actually intended to feel restrictive Both Samus and the player want to break out and do as they wilt, and are increasingly frustrated by the computer's command over them. At every first opportunity Samus breaks off the beaten trail, which actually explicitly leads to the betrayal melodrama you mentioned. I enjoyed going out of bounds in the water zone and ending up in the coral reef region and ultimately stumbling upon the Metroid breeding tanks; it felt cool, and it felt like I'd gone off the rails, which is exactly what it wanted to be.

Having to listen to the loving computer talk so loving much was a lot worse, that rear end in a top hat had so much to say. Luckily, the SA-X doesn't say a goddamn word and it's awesome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The federation betraying Samus
I don't remember this, what happens?

Motto posted:

it's more linear than the typical metroid, and getting locked into exposition rooms got tiring, esp since a lot of them were reminding you of stuff you already had a marker for. Still really like it though; being my first Metroid probably helped.
It's pretty good. Great controls. All the criticisms are legit, though. It has a lot of issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember this, what happens?

They were making Metroids THE WHOLE TIME, Adam! THEY PLAYED US LIKE A drat FIDDLE!

And then they lock you in a room with computer dad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Having to listen to the loving computer talk so loving much was a lot worse, that rear end in a top hat had so much to say. Luckily, the SA-X doesn't say a goddamn word and it's awesome.

I've had this problem with games lately where my prime complaint is that I don't know how long someone is going to be talking. The most recent example was FF Record Keeper. I downloaded it so I could play it while my car was getting inspected, and I just sat there skipping dialogue after dialogue about stuff like how money works. I don't mind tutorials and explanations and exposition if they're paced well. It's just when you think nobody has anything left to say, and they just keep talking that drives me nuts.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Federation, surprise surprise, have a Metroid breeding program, which you thoroughly destroy by the game's end. This is, of note, foreshadowed by the very intro of the game, where a Metroid DNA vaccine is made for Samus, and she never thinks to ask where it came from.

The Federation are ultimately not too different from the Space Pirates. This actually ties nicely in with Prime 3 as well; since you see that Mother Brain-type computers are commonplace, it's clear that biotechnology is the heart and soul of warfare and military strategy in the Metroid universe, which only further emphasizes why it's so useful to have a weapon at your disposal as versatile and effective as a Metroid.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's pretty impressive that Metroid Fusion still managed to be such a good Metroid game even though it hosed up most of the elements that make a good Metroid game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Prime 3 having cyber brains that aren't apparently related to mother brain and no one mentioning mother brain felt so odd. That entire game feels like it's sort of detached from Metroid as a setting. Like it's some kind of parallel, halo-wannabe universe.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Fusion has the best bosses in the series, and they also have a lot of build up leading into their fights.

With the other Metroid titles, you just fight that purple dragon and fat green guy who have descriptions in the manual.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Prime 3 having cyber brains that aren't apparently related to mother brain and no one mentioning mother brain felt so odd. That entire game feels like it's sort of detached from Metroid as a setting. Like it's some kind of parallel, halo-wannabe universe.

Oh I loved that part; it tied the Space Pirates and the Federation together an emphasizes that this is a universe based upon biotechnology. It fits all of the enemies you fight, which are usually biological weapons augmented with technology, gives a possible origin for Mother Brain, and creates an unsettling imagery for your so-called allies. After all, you're now relying on those who utilize a technology quite similar to your ultimate enemy. It gives the Metroid universe something really unique that I hope is further explored.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

Fusion was atmospheric as gently caress and any personality they gave Samus fit. (Like the way the English localization wrote Adam, it made him seem like a genuinely cool dude and mentor that was worthy of Samus' respect.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Prime 3 wasn't very good. Between the forced motion controls and the pre-M:OM anime Samus and superfluous voice acting I don't know how much of that was Retro and how much was Nintendo but it did make me pretty alright with it being the final entry in the Prime series.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

the new metal gear looks really good

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

oh my god its real

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Snake died trying to fultoning a FORD.

Fool.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Guy Mann posted:

Prime 3 wasn't very good. Between the forced motion controls and the pre-M:OM anime Samus and superfluous voice acting I don't know how much of that was Retro and how much was Nintendo but it did make me pretty alright with it being the final entry in the Prime series.

FPS pointer controls are really good, sorry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Fusion has the best bosses in the series, and they also have a lot of build up leading into their fights.

With the other Metroid titles, you just fight that purple dragon and fat green guy who have descriptions in the manual.

Oh come on, Super Metroid has some really neat bosses. That horrifying hellface that you can shock to death is amazing.

Something interesting about Fusion, not saying it's good or bad, is that you tend to take a lot more damage from enemies compared to other Metroid titles and get thrown much further back when you get hit. This obviously ties into the theming of Samus going from Hunter to Hunted, which is an interesting case of mechanics echoing story. Of course, you could also argue that's a sign of things to come since it disempowers Samus and makes her more of a victim and less of a stone cold badass.

Guy Mann posted:

The Prime games peaked with the first one, probably. But man, I love that first one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah, I really liked the controls for 3. And the pirate planet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Something interesting about Fusion, not saying it's good or bad, is that you tend to take a lot more damage from enemies compared to other Metroid titles and get thrown much further back when you get hit. This obviously ties into the theming of Samus going from Hunter to Hunted, which is an interesting case of mechanics echoing story. Of course, you could also argue that's a sign of things to come since it disempowers Samus and makes her more of a victim and less of a stone cold badass.

That's a bit of a stretch. Fusion's partially like a horror game in 2D action form, and by the end you're back at full power, triumphantly slapping an Omega Metroid's poo poo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ometeotl posted:

Aiming was good, all the gimmicky locks and poo poo notsomuch.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

That's a bit of a stretch. Fusion's partially like a horror game in 2D action form, and by the end you're back at full power, triumphantly slapping an Omega Metroid's poo poo.
Yeah, Fusion stays true to Samus being tough as nails and venturing into extremely hostile areas all by herself to save the universe and never backing down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I once had the ambition of making a romhack that removes all dialogue past the intro of Metroid fusion, but turns out rom hacking is incredibly time consuming. Good golly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Venture into the Fire Emblem thread, where people attempt to make romhacks using old-rear end utilities that constantly crash and produce inexplicable errors at random.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I called her MB

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I kind of love this, but like...ha ha...what?

Did Konami sign off on--of course they did, nevermind.

gently caress, if Hayter devotes his whole life to turning Solid Snake into a commercial shill, I may just declare him the world's finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's funny how Solid Snake is/was an iconic videogame figure, but only leads two MGS games, one of which features him as a dying, depressed old fart.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread