Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

G0RF posted:

Reddit: Weekly Discussion: Monetization

First off-- I'm really starting to dig this new moderator. Opening the door-- finally opening the bloody door-- for honest backer conversations about tricky and controversial topics is a wonderful improvement over their former Orwellian system and the Dolvak-era.

Secondly, I really am starting to wonder if our rebuke about their poisonous backer base and particularly the bad faith moderation actually led to some of these changes. That McArthur thing apparently got around and pissed people off (or embarrassed them, more like.) But maybe CIG realized they really did have a problem?

Regardless, these are positive signs-- hugely positive. Decriminalizing contrary opinions and even criticism is a big step towards disempowering the self-appointed Dissent Police like Mothman.

Please, anonymous CIG subordinate assigned to read this thread, pass along my hearty approval. If they've happened solely by accident or independent of your actions, well, congrats anyway. It's a small step in the right direction.

It is a real good sign. Shame it didn't happen years ago where it could have done a lot of good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I'm genuinely excited about 2.4. Particularly what :pgabz: will do with it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe you should read the thread you are posting in. Ya wazzock.

The 1000 or so pages in which this could've happened??? 8Aces posts are getting vanished, it's a good chance I outright can't find out what sent him packing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sillybones posted:

It is a real good sign. Shame it didn't happen years ago where it could have done a lot of good.
Well yeah there's that...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

runsamok posted:

But what about the ships which will land but don't have wings, like say the Idris & her crew of 37 parpeteers?

You have a snub fighter with that, no? Or you park something small from your capacious fleet in the sumptuously appointed cargo bay. I think we need to confiscate your account. You can't fly in the 'Verse without vision.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Haskell9 posted:

I mean all disrespect to Goons with Spoons.

You can shut your treasonous yap right NOW, mister!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

Reddit: Weekly Discussion: Monetization

First off-- I'm really starting to dig this new moderator. Opening the door-- finally opening the bloody door-- for honest backer conversations about tricky and controversial topics is a wonderful improvement over their former Orwellian system and the Dolvak-era.

Secondly, I really am starting to wonder if our rebuke about their poisonous backer base and particularly the bad faith moderation actually led to some of these changes. That McArthur thing apparently got around and pissed people off (or embarrassed them, more like.) But maybe CIG realized they really did have a problem?

Regardless, these are positive signs-- hugely positive. Decriminalizing contrary opinions and even criticism is a big step towards disempowering the self-appointed Dissent Police like Mothman.

Please, anonymous CIG subordinate assigned to read this thread, pass along my hearty approval. If they've happened solely by accident or independent of your actions, well, congrats anyway. It's a small step in the right direction.

Who knows if its a coordinated effort or not, but it does fit with some of the other moves CIG has been making, like re-tooling the ask-a-dev forum, which actually has seen more activity recently and which Chris talked about at length.

What complicates matters is that Derek pointed to the ask-a-dev retooling as being a part of whatever earth-shattering business occured when Erin Roberts visited LA. I'm trying to imagine what kind of shoe-drop would connect a shift in how the community is managed with the not-so-pernicious ELE (good lord do I hate this phrase).

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 9, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Samizdata posted:

You have a snub fighter with that, no? Or you park something small from your capacious fleet in the sumptuously appointed cargo bay. I think we need to confiscate your account. You can't fly in the 'Verse without vision.

The Idris itself is reportedly landable on its own, even laden with one's capacious flotilla.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Did I miss anything good from RTV? Kayak and I went to the dog beach instead

What? You chose interacting joyfully with Awesome Dog over RTV? Seriously? Lifeban this apostate!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gejnor posted:

W..What will they do? :ohdear:

And he posts! (And now I can see it is a bear. :haw:)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Goons always eat their own once things get boring. Every single time. No one is safe unless poo poo is going down on the outside.

It's all part of the Agile Thread Development method

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

trucutru posted:

Derek, I'm gonna be honest. As it currently stands nobody except perhaps Loiosh ('cause he's a nice guy) is going to believe you predicted any sort of E.L.E. event.

EightAce verified it and he was sober when doing so. He's only ever been wrong about anything once, and it was Derek who corrected him.

D_Smart posted:

e.g. some crazy serious poo poo happened in the UK in the last two weeks that ONLY close sources and insiders know. It's very - loving - serious. Neither myself, nor 8Ace posted about it. The same thing happened here in the US. Not a peep. There IS a reason for that.

:munch:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Reading that Reddit thread was like reading 1400 people all channeling their inner Beers and speaking boldly that which they would otherwise never dare admit openly in official forums and threads.

There are 1400 messages, and each one is unique-- yet they all are saying the same thing in different ways.

"I'm afraid Derek Smart was right."

If I were you, Derek, I'd finish your business for the day, eat a celebratory meal with your wife, then sit down to your computer with a scotch and a big rear end Cuban cigar. Savor every single post. You've earned it, man.

Samesies, was thinking more or less the same thing earlier. The people talking poo poo about DS's and 8ace's info are dildos.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Google Butt posted:

If this game is ever playable, I demand that this thread form a diamond frogs style group but it's only mission is to locate b'tak and cause him grief

There's still plenty of people that missed out on the easy returns (such as myself) or just haven't cared enough (also kind of myself) to get a refund. To say nothing of the people that would buy back in if it was ever released and worth a poo poo (it won't be).

As Eonwe said: there will be grief. Either way.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

FrankieGoes posted:

Samesies, was thinking more or less the same thing earlier. The people talking poo poo about DS's and 8ace's info are dildos.

Who actually did that to 8Ace, though? As far as I can tell they just left for no reason and blanked half their posts.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

wow its encouraging to hear that Star Citizen is so LGBT friendly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

And that's the thing about having a mental 12-year old as VP of marketing - there is no pretense at all. Everything Sandi does is perfectly transparent, and not a soul on the planet can't see through it. It's like watching a 3-year old kid try to trick her parents, and they pretend to fall for it, and the kid skips away with a poo poo-eating grin thinking she got away with it wholesale. Perfectly normal for a $110 million company.

She is so blindly narcissistic that it is completely impossible for her to imagine anyone could see past her complete and utter Machiavellian brilliance.

Spent hours last night private chatting on Discord with a goon who shall remain nameless for their own protection, and I am more and more convinced every day the whole CIG debacle is Sandi riding poor Chris into the grave (along with others) in a singleminded attempt to make the world witness her glory as we already should have.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Who knows if its a coordinated effort or not, but it does fit with some of the things Chris has said recently about emphasizing the community more, and re-tooling the ask-a-dev forums, which actually has seen more activity recently.

What complicates matters is that Derek pointed to the ask-a-dev retooling as being a part of whatever earth-shattering business occured when Erin Roberts visited LA. I'm trying to imagine what kind of shoe-drop would connect these two things.
Well, at a minimum I'd expect they've realized they're really at the mercy of the whales now. They have to be at our near the saturation level -- at least for the pre-alpha state mess they call the BDSSE. They're going to have some white hot trailers for SQ42 with some killer gameplay footage if they're hoping to move any pre-orders. The downside for them - which they've surely figured out-- is that despite the enormous cost, the revenue side is earthbound since they can't whale hunt with that game. No ships to sell for it that would push the order averages up and give them some speculative froth.

Squadron 42 should never have become the core focus because it will never be their core revenue producer. It means more to Chris and Sandi as director and actress than it will to the market or most of the backers. And if it falls flat on its face it will cause a serious prestige loss for CIG and just might imperil Star Citizen's market prospects.

Nevertheless I'm more excited about SQ42 than anything Star Citizen related.

Because I can't wait for the 10 hours of :gary: we get to play with!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Samizdata posted:

She is so blindly narcissistic that it is completely impossible for her to imagine anyone could see past her complete and utter Machiavellian brilliance.

Spent hours last night private chatting on Discord with a goon who shall remain nameless for their own protection, and I am more and more convinced every day the whole CIG debacle is Sandi riding poor Chris into the grave (along with others) in a singleminded attempt to make the world witness her glory as we already should have.
so can we romance her in squadron 42 or not

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

CIG is holding off on releasing their monthly report, which makes me think they will be putting 2.4 up on the ptu either tonight or over the weekend.

2.3.1 it looks like. Interesting.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
wait I'm quite drunk

is cig and reddit mods trying to listen to criticism in some way or am I just being to spaz and should lay down?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nobody liked my pure imagination link? I thought it was perfect. D:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Ive decided that everyone who links that awful video should be taped to a chair with the worst tape imaginable. The kind that triples in adhesive qualities every second. And then forced to watch it for 100 hours non stop.

But with Ben doing a nude sexay dance to the tune.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Why does this look like a cool game that I'd want to play. You guys have really been pulling one over on me, haven't you.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Good Dumplings posted:

Who actually did that to 8Ace, though? As far as I can tell they just left for no reason and blanked half their posts.
I didn't think people were dissing EightAce in thread-- they tended to get a hero's welcome.

I assumed, perhaps erroneously, maybe some drunk posting led to some rash impulsivity later thought better of. But it could mean another mole hunt was underway. Or both.

Whatever the case, hope they're staying safe. If we've at the mole hunt level then it's time to set the doomsday clock a minute ahead. These kinds of things are the warning signs we've been anticipating if things at CIG were growing more dire.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/718580576123379712

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

Nobody liked my pure imagination link? I thought it was perfect. D:

It's a tough crowd sometimes-- tho I liked it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hmmmm....

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Duck and cover!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.L.E.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So it begins... :vince:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is a cry for help.

That's an understatement actually.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
reminder that tomorrow is an exciting day if you're Ben Lesnick

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/718210611713150976

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Sandis personality disorder(s) are as painfully obvious as Ben's rapid weight gain.

Her forced smiles are like the single strained button on Bens shirts which could explode violently at any second, releasing its terrible burden

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

What's that basket in front of him?
What's the bat wing full of holes on the right edge of the photo?
Why does his mouth look like Archer photoshopped it in?

So many questions...

The 'basket' in the front is the space lamp. Get your Star Citizen lore in order.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tokamak posted:

The 'basket' in the front is the space lamp. Get your Star Citizen lore in order.

It's called Magnarp. Get your IKEA lore in order.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Making it Rain posted:

So it begins... :vince:

Someone stick him into elliots basket from ET.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Holy :lol:

quote:

As you can see, we have not been idle this month (nor have we ever been idle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

moveable shape posted:

Sandis personality disorder(s) are as painfully obvious as Ben's rapid weight gain.

Her forced smiles are like the single strained button on Bens shirts which could explode violently at any second, releasing its terrible burden

The best thing that could happen is to see her do a total meltdown on a live show. We got close with the tear filled non-resignation at Citizen con.

• Locked thread