Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I don't think there are separate timelines, like in Back to the Future. Time in the shows seems to be singular but non static, but attempts to "repair" itself if messed with too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe Thawne is from before that time period, but after ours (like 2040 or something)
He told Barry in the season 1 finale that he's from 150 years or so in the future. He probably wasn't born yet in 2147, but he's undoubtedly from the same time period as Rip.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bad Moon posted:

Go Team Kidnap!!!'

These guys are the worst time travelers ever and it owns.

To be fair, Rip was trained by the Time Masters who are also terribly incompetent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
guys a wizard did it and that's that.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Still fun.
Who the hell is Sidney?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The dumbest thing, honestly. Either Ray has a twin brother he's never mentioned until now, or he has a brother who looks close enough like him as to be practically identical...either way he completely fails to consider that the statue might be of his brother -- again, he knows this brother looks just like him -- until Kaylee spells it out for him.

Oh also his brother is also into robotics or something. In fact he could also build technology that Ray invented???..???..?????,.........?

Sigh, I wanted Felicity to be Ray's baby mama so that she'd have a secret baby Oliver could eventually confront her about.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

greatn posted:

Next time just kidnap Savage and put him in the year 9999, in a volcano.

They did something like this in a comic book. Don't remember who transported Savage to some island at a point in time that was about to be hit by some sort of bomb that ironically Savage himself had ordered in that time period.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

They did something like this in a comic book. Don't remember who transported Savage to some island at a point in time that was about to be hit by some sort of bomb that ironically Savage himself had ordered in that time period.

DC One Million #4. Chronos (not anything like the one in this show) rigs his time travel gear (that Savage had stolen) to transport him back to 1998 right on the spot where Savage had set of a nuke.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

The dumbest thing, honestly. Either Ray has a twin brother he's never mentioned until now, or he has a brother who looks close enough like him as to be practically identical...either way he completely fails to consider that the statue might be of his brother -- again, he knows this brother looks just like him -- until Kaylee spells it out for him.

Oh also his brother is also into robotics or something. In fact he could also build technology that Ray invented???..???..?????,.........?

Sigh, I wanted Felicity to be Ray's baby mama so that she'd have a secret baby Oliver could eventually confront her about.

I think the statue is of Ray. His tech made the company so it's in his honor and his goofball brother just came in and sold it. Classic Sidney :haw:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

DC One Million #4. Chronos (not anything like the one in this show) rigs his time travel gear (that Savage had stolen) to transport him back to 1998 right on the spot where Savage had set of a nuke.

God I forgot about DC One Million. That was the best crossover because Morrison was smart enough to give the writers several different options on what to do with their series (either transport your main character to the year 1M and let them dick around, or have them in current time dealing with one of the half dozen plot threads he set up in the main series, or just write a totally elseworlds year 1M version of your character so you don't have to interrupt your current narrative). Morrison is such a genius.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think there are separate timelines, like in Back to the Future. Time in the shows seems to be singular but non static, but attempts to "repair" itself if messed with too much.

Hypertime

I ain't gotta explain poo poo

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrianWilly posted:

Here lies Ray Palmer. Named for his uncle, to carry on his spirit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Don't you, forget about me...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This is the most incompetent team ever assembled.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is the most incompetent writing team ever assembled.
:ssh:

... Okay that's not quite fair, but if we count this season of Flash and Arrow too...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I thought we'd be getting giant robots like we've seen in the show's very first promos, since it was the future and all. No dice. :(

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

You might be Gideon. :v:

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is the most incompetent team ever assembled.

Asimo posted:

This is the most incompetent writing team ever assembled.

I mean, you're both right, but remember there was the big reveal that Rip recruited this group not because of their competence, but because of their irrelevance to the timeline.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Longbaugh01 posted:

I mean, you're both right, but remember there was the big reveal that Rip recruited this group not because of their competence, but because of their irrelevance to the timeline.
And it would be SO easy to show that together they make up for their mediocrity somehow and become a really efficient team but...

Plus, there are all these events that go fucksouth thanks to them not being there (Ray's murderbots, Lance not saving Ollie from Grimdarkitis), which doesn't quite make them completely useless.

The big twist should be that Rip was irrelevant to the timeline.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rip learns that Savage gets overthrown like a week after he killed his family.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

And it would be SO easy to show that together they make up for their mediocrity somehow and become a really efficient team but...

I like the implication (however unintentional) that the opposite is the case. Get together a bunch of useless nobodies, they inspire each other and overcome their individual foibles to become a team of... useless nobodies :eng99:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

Get together a bunch of useless nobodies, they inspire each other and overcome their individual foibles to become a team of... useless nobodies :eng99:
If they were just super mediocre it'd be fine. But they manage to actively contribute to a superfucking of the timeline.

Giving miniaturization tech to a bunch of terrorists 40 years before it's really developed.
Proving the enemy's Nuclear Man equation works during the height of the cold war.
Helping to release an apocalypse virus 5 years ahead of schedule.

And so on. Rip could have recruited a team of hobos with attitude and cycled them out as the died to better effect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have Rip trick Savage into grabbing a powerful artifact that flays off his skin, but survives, then have Savage have his girlfriend trap Rip in a time warp, and make that teenagers with attitude, and you've got a deal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

If they were just super mediocre it'd be fine. But they manage to actively contribute to a superfucking of the timeline.

Giving miniaturization tech to a bunch of terrorists 40 years before it's really developed.

Proving the enemy's Nuclear Man equation works during the height of the cold war.
Helping to release an apocalypse virus 5 years ahead of schedule.

And so on. Rip could have recruited a team of hobos with attitude and cycled them out as the died to better effect.

It was amazing that Rip was angry and refusing to let Ray get his shrinking suit from his apartment at first. Like c'mon you retard, this happened before and that was just with a piece of his suit.

Also it involved a super dangerous mission of walking to his apartment and coming back. Rip really is the worst.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's going to be revealed near the end that Rip is loving things up on purpose and isn't really a good guy. It's been done that way twice on Flash now, might as well get it on Legends too!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mortanis posted:

It's going to be revealed near the end that Rip is loving things up on purpose and isn't really a good guy. It's been done that way twice on Flash now, might as well get it on Legends too!

I really hope it's not this.

Rather, I really am ok with the whole "Rip actually hosed things up worse" ending/angle. Plus that way there's still a reason for a S2, I just wish this Vandal Savage was more compelling, though maybe it'll switch to a Per Degaton who did not get taken out by Savage or someone else.

Also, now that I know Rip Hunter is Booster Gold's son...I umm, really want to see Booster involved somehow. Hope that wasn't a spoiler for anyone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ray: But Rip, why did yo ask us to steal Vandal's trench coat?

Rip: Because, my boy... I am going to WEAR IT!!!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What if Rip's plan is to super gently caress up time to the point that he can actually change things? It seems like temporal inertia is a real thing and is actively resisting any changes they try to make.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The season will end with Rip shooting the King of Time in the groin with a bolt action rifle.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

I really hope it's not this.

Rather, I really am ok with the whole "Rip actually hosed things up worse" ending/angle. Plus that way there's still a reason for a S2, I just wish this Vandal Savage was more compelling, though maybe it'll switch to a Per Degaton who did not get taken out by Savage or someone else.

Also, now that I know Rip Hunter is Booster Gold's son...I umm, really want to see Booster involved somehow. Hope that wasn't a spoiler for anyone.

I'd rather not S2 be connected to this season too tightly if you think that's going to happen (also, I believe that it's intended to be disconnected). Booster being Rip's dad in the comics may not follow into this series as well, and I'd rather prefer that it doesn't come up if Booster gets introduced since it's not something that needs to be brought up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd hope that "season 2" is actually an unconnected show complete with a new name and cast.

Except for Ray.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

I'd hope that "season 2" is actually an unconnected show complete with a new name and cast.

Except for Ray.

The Prison Break reunion show is actually LoT season 2.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

No he's from the exact same time period as Vandal Savage conquering the world. Either the writers totally forgot major plot points from season 1 of Flash (which is totally possible with these guys) or else they're going somewhere with this.

Here's my guess:

• Thawne is born in 2151 to an affluent family (which we already know)
  • Savage conquers the world in 2166. (we already know this too)
  • The Thawne family use their affluence to escape the death and destruction of Vandal's conquest and take shelter somewhere. (Either that, or they're on Savage's side.)
  • The L.O.T. team manage to kill Savage before he conquers the world. During the fight, the space ship is damaged beyond repair and they end up abandoning it.
  • Years later, in the 2190s, the conglomerate find the ruins of the ship and finds Gideon in it. Per Degaton (who is now alive since Savage died before killing him) orders his research teams to reverse-engineer as much technology as they can. Thawne is the lead researcher and discovers Gideon inside the ship's computer network. With the help of Gideon, he eventually gains superspeed and the ability to travel through time using tachyons. After he travels back to kill Barry's mom, Degaton stumbles upon the research and learns time travel himself.

This, or something along these lines, would also set up Degaton as next season's time traveling villain.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Thawne could also just be from a future where Savage never conquered Earth since we never found out about that until after the Flash/Thawne stuff. Maybe something changed.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd rather not S2 be connected to this season too tightly if you think that's going to happen (also, I believe that it's intended to be disconnected).

It probably won't be as disconnected as you'd assume considering they're going to cater to the mass television audience, not us.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 10, 2016

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think they could redeem this show if they just copied the ending from that Superman episode where they meet Vandal Savage at the end of time where all that's left is just him and a bunch of cockroaches. Savage repairs the timeline by killing himself in the past but not before loving up the timeships navigation.

The next season is basically Dr Who/Sliders/Quantum Leap but with a revolving DC lineup. The show is best when it fully embraces it's campy nature. Why not go hogwild and have Rip punch Hitler again or have Snart steal the Crown Jewels or any location on earth rather than some part of the US?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
So long as we get Sarah back on Arrow, I'm good. They can have Vixen, Roy Harper and whoever the gently caress else.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't possibly imagine how they're gonna write these guys defeating Savage at this point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

How? Poorly. :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elentor posted:

I can't possibly imagine how they're gonna write these guys defeating Savage at this point.

That's not hard to imagine, all they have to do is get Kendra to stab him with the magic knife. Honestly, it seems like it's been harder to write these guys NOT defeating Savage in most of the episodes. Rip's killed him twice on screen, and Carter stabbed him with the magic knife already, and it's only because of plot contrivance that they have to go find him again afterward.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I'm disappointed I have just gotten to catch up on the past few episodes until just now because it means I wasn't here to post "Black Hawk Down!" when Sara knocked out Hawk Jax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Elentor posted:

I swear to god, if they come up with the idea that we and every other logical person had since episode 1 (freeze him up to his neck and stab him in said neck with the knife) at the finale, I am throwing so many clocks at the TV.

• Locked thread