Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tonight, we did different drills under a different coach for the advanced sanshou drills class.
A typical sweep is to block a high kick with the same side forearm, catch it with your other arm, bring the lower leg across your chest and trap it under that side's armpit, keep the leg elevated, and kick out their support leg at the ankle.

The coach had us throw in a cross to the head before doing the sweep. I realized that I don't have any real conceptual understanding of how the mechanics of that sweep work. Just by doing the cross, my body was sufficiently out of position that I could barely make the sweep happen. If I left the punch out, right back to effortless sweeps.

I guess this sorta bums me out in that I've gone through some phase where I actively refined the technique, consciously working out how to make it more effective and paying attention to the parts/steps, to now, where I just do it reflexively as a whole-body movement but have no sense of how to adapt or adjust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guess whose ankle is poo poo and will always be poo poo? :sigh: Rolled it semi-bad a week ago, and again less badly today. Not being able to train is driving me out of my mind so bad that I'm considering picking up Magic: The Gathering.

I ordered a pair of cheap ankle sleeves to maybe keep my feet attached to my legs in the future, hope they do the job. Also treated myself to a Sisu 1.6 to maybe make sure my teeth won't go the way of my ankles.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
So it turns out I'm getting back into BJJ too because this thread has reminded me of how much fun grappling is. Here's hoping I'm not totally and completely gassed after the warmup... Curse you!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Siivola posted:

Guess whose ankle is poo poo and will always be poo poo? :sigh: Rolled it semi-bad a week ago, and again less badly today.

Right there with you, I've got a metal plate holding one of mine together now.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you're a cyborg, awesome

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

General Emergency posted:

So it turns out I'm getting back into BJJ too because this thread has reminded me of how much fun grappling is. Here's hoping I'm not totally and completely gassed after the warmup... Curse you!

Nothing improves mood and confidence quite like bruises from getting your rear end kicked on the mat!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Another reason why kickboxing is a fun sport for women:

A random guy made a serious "grab rear end" -maneuver (prolly the person was a Bujinkan stylist? Or just a run of the mill rapist/harasser?) at someone I know last weekened, and 0,2 seconds she felt her rear end squeezed she threw a turning sidekick at the grab-rear end guy to send him stumbling. After which the guy literally ran away in terror, picking himself up before.

All women: pick up a martial art which trains liveness, against resisting, moving and active people.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm thinking about ordering a datsusara bag. How soon can I expect to see improvements in my grappling?
This got me thinking that I need to replace my tattered gym bag. I normally get the cheapest bag that fits my poo poo, but anyone have any specific recommendations? Gi, gloves, shin pads, head gear are the big items.

e: or I guess the better question would be: what's everyone else using?

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 7, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I know this is gonna make me sound like a fuckboy but I have an UnderArmor gym bag that's somewhere between a regular gym bag size and a duffel bag. I use it for the gym, taking to the dojo and as a carryon and stuff--for trips three days and shorter it's my only piece of luggage. My point is I probably overpaid for it but I've been using it daily for four years and I really love it.

Bragging time--I completely demolished a blue belt live rolling today. I legit thought I was going to pass out driving home I was so exhausted tho.
EDIT--and I used poo poo I learned in krav Maga to do it, which is always fun

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 8, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Sharzak posted:

EDIT--and I used poo poo I learned in krav Maga to do it, which is always fun

You poked his eyes out?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Neon Belly posted:

You poked his eyes out?

In a triangle choke from guard when the dude you're choking grabs your hip to keep space he'll expose the side of his neck. You then fist him in the throat to complete the triangle. That and some maybe slightly higher level sweeps since Krav doesn't have the same belts and tiers.
Krav gets a bad rap but my BJJ trainer is the insanely acclaimed Jeremy Horn, my judo instructor is a terrifying Arab man with one functioning eye and one red one that stares straight ahead at all times, but Kat Reynolds, my Krav instructor, a 5'4 woman with thick rimmed glasses, is the scariest person I've ever met. She was a 3rd degree black belt from the founder of Krav, (got it from Roahim Mizrachi) and knows more ways to gently caress up somebody's day than anyone I've ever met. Krav gets a bad rap because it doesn't have events or comps, but really it makes sense. we did practice groin strikes, downward elbows, kidney kicks, small joint manipulation, some judo, and blunt objects, all of which are obviously illegal in competition. We also learned basic Brazilian jiu jitsu, threw a total of a thousand punches st least per week, did live sparring, pad work, stuff like that. Having taken Krav for two years and BJJ for 3ish months my impression so far is that Krav would actually be insanely useful in the unlikely event of me having to defend myself, while BJJ not so much. Maybe that'll change when I get further into it. For what it's worth I enjoy BJJ much more rhan I ever enjoyed Krav.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I know you probably don't mean it, but I can't help but imagine you just straight up punched a dude in the neck while rolling.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Krav sucks but that technique is good. Used it before. Good for tightening the choke.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Bragging time--I completely demolished a blue belt live rolling today. I legit thought I was going to pass out driving home I was so exhausted tho.

Not trying to be a dick here, but is it possible that you didn't DEMOLISH him, but perhaps you caught him off guard with that, that one time, and perhaps he wasn't going full-tilt trying to tap you with anything but maybe trying for a specific technique? Asking as I'm new to BJJ and I've had a moment where I was like "I am The One." but then found out they were just casually rolling, letting me try stuff on them and practicing their defense.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omglosser posted:

Not trying to be a dick here, but is it possible that you didn't DEMOLISH him, but perhaps you caught him off guard with that, that one time, and perhaps he wasn't going full-tilt trying to tap you with anything but maybe trying for a specific technique? Asking as I'm new to BJJ and I've had a moment where I was like "I am The One." but then found out they were just casually rolling, letting me try stuff on them and practicing their defense.

Unless the higher belt is a dick he probably isn't going 100%. Or he might be working stuff he's bad at, or letting you put him in a bad position in order to see if he can get out. Stuff like that. So enjoy the victory because it's unlikely they just totally gave you something. You most likely properly did a series of techniques and got a legitimate submission. Just don't get a big head about it because they probably weren't treating it like the ADCC finals.

I'm a big fat blue belt who kind of sucks at getting out from underneath side control so if I'm rolling with a new guy I pull guard, half heartedly defend their pass, and then start working to get out. On the flipside of that, from my Judo background I've got strong hold-downs and chokes so I know some of our advanced guys allow me to get in to situations where I can apply them so they can work on their defense.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I am finding it so much fun positionally controlling white belts. I never thought I'd be able to control anyone (76kg, 6 month blue) but things are working and I'm taking advantage of mistakes. It's really reassuring to feel these improvements & feel these techniques work. It's so rewarding.

I spent a year getting crushed by everyone, blues, purples, whites, so being able to control / dominate someone is really something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all of a sudden Good At Juijitsu, but I'm progressing from the lowest end of the low end. Love this sport.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

I am finding it so much fun positionally controlling white belts. I never thought I'd be able to control anyone (76kg, 6 month blue) but things are working and I'm taking advantage of mistakes. It's really reassuring to feel these improvements & feel these techniques work. It's so rewarding.

I spent a year getting crushed by everyone, blues, purples, whites, so being able to control / dominate someone is really something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all of a sudden Good At Juijitsu, but I'm progressing from the lowest end of the low end. Love this sport.

I'm loving BJJ too. As the guy who gets easily controlled, I can literally feel the difference between going against other newbies and even just striped white belts and up. The higher belts feel zero threat from me and the other newbies (usually girls who I am bigger than) have to fight harder. I mean I could try to brag too because on the rare occasion we start from a stand-up position, the higher belts have a hard time taking me down - but that's because I have a spastic judo defense ingrained into my nervous system from when I was 6'3" 150lbs(190cm 68kg(now I'm 91kg/200lbs)) defending randori against a 6'0" 250lb(183cm 113kg) green belt very, very regularly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Krav sucks but that technique is good. Used it before. Good for tightening the choke.

I have lots of words I could say about Krav Maga, but I don't know that people will really care. The basic system and concepts of Krav Maga accomplish a goal, and do it well. However, Krav Maga has ridiculously bad levels of quality control. Like 1980's era Karate McDojo levels of bad.

Edit: White belt talk: For a long time I've been the lowest level guy in my regular bjj class, so I never really got to experience the "White belt 20% is actually 150%" thing until a couple weeks ago. So this an open apology to all upper belts on behalf of new white belts; I'm sorry about my random high speed flailing, I'm trying to be better.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 8, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Siivola posted:

I know you probably don't mean it, but I can't help but imagine you just straight up punched a dude in the neck while rolling.

He's just using his fist to close off the other carotid artery. That's actually how I end up finishing most of my guillotines.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A full 25% of Krav Maga videos on youtube could be renamed "how to get shot in the face."

There are people who are good at fighting who are good at Krav Maga, but that someone is good at Krav Maga is not necessarily good at fighting. At least the correlation is lower than in other fight sports.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like, I watch Krav Maga guys and most of the time it seems as if it was designed by someone who watched a bunch of pre-Matrix 1990s action movies and built a combat system which assumed that bad guys attack like movie bad guys.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

A full 25% of Krav Maga videos on youtube could be renamed "how to get shot in the face."

There are people who are good at fighting who are good at Krav Maga, but that someone is good at Krav Maga is not necessarily good at fighting. At least the correlation is lower than in other fight sports.

25% is probably a low estimate. Maybe 1% of Krav Maga youtube videos are worth watching for anything other than comedy.

CommonShore posted:

Like, I watch Krav Maga guys and most of the time it seems as if it was designed by someone who watched a bunch of pre-Matrix 1990s action movies and built a combat system which assumed that bad guys attack like movie bad guys.

A lot of Krav Maga gyms are run by tacticool guys that took a weekend seminar and think they're tough poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGx4QBdp0Y

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 8, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Omglosser posted:

He was definitely tired and got into some advantageous positions but I tapped him twice in three minutes and didn't get tapped at all in return. I don't know if I could do it again, or beat him in a comp, it just felt good and I couldn't help but brag about it. Demolished is a strong word and I was very humbled by my previous partners but walking out on a cool note like that was really exciting. I still absolutely suck big donkey ears at jiu-jitsu.

YouTube Krav is obviously really bad. I was really fortunate to have who I consider to be one of the best instructors in the system alive. I started taking Krav through a university class that Kat taught and one of the assignments was to watch a krav video where a dude disarmed like 6 people and beat the poo poo out of them, and then write a paragraph basically about how he should have ran away instead.

I'd agree that a lot of it is garbage and it would really benefit from a Gracie style system and codification but I was lucky enough to learn some pretty cool poo poo on the ground and on the feet. Krav gets a really bad rap in here and as someone who's gotten a lot out of it I wanted to defend it a bit I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Fool posted:

25% is probably a low estimate. Maybe 1% of Krav Maga youtube videos are worth watching for anything other than comedy.

A lot of Krav Maga gym's are run by tacticool guys that took a weekend seminar and think they're tough poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGx4QBdp0Y

These numbers aren't mutually exclusive. I didn't suggest that 75% are good. I indicated that a full 25% of them give advice which if followed in a real-life situation would result in the person executing the technique being on the receiving end of a high-velocity slug at extremely close range. 74% of the remaining ones could result in other flavours of death and/or maiming.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sharzak posted:

He was definitely tired and got into some advantageous positions but I tapped him twice in three minutes and didn't get tapped at all in return. I don't know if I could do it again, or beat him in a comp, it just felt good and I couldn't help but brag about it. Demolished is a strong word and I was very humbled by my previous partners but walking out on a cool note like that was really exciting. I still absolutely suck big donkey ears at jiu-jitsu.

YouTube Krav is obviously really bad. I was really fortunate to have who I consider to be one of the best instructors in the system alive. I started taking Krav through a university class that Kat taught and one of the assignments was to watch a krav video where a dude disarmed like 6 people and beat the poo poo out of them, and then write a paragraph basically about how he should have ran away instead.

I'd agree that a lot of it is garbage and it would really benefit from a Gracie style system and codification but I was lucky enough to learn some pretty cool poo poo on the ground and on the feet. Krav gets a really bad rap in here and as someone who's gotten a lot out of it I wanted to defend it a bit I guess.

Sounds like a good instructor.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Sharzak posted:

If that's the case then good job man, impressive for 3 months in. In my humble/inexperienced opinion of BJJ.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The 5-foot-nothing scary Jew Jitsu instructor trope.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sharzak posted:

What's a video that shows the best Krav Maga? And what % of ppl in your Krav Maga did it because they were somewhat patriotic Israelis?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sharzak posted:

. I was really fortunate to have who I consider to be one of the best instructors in the system alive.

The other instructors died when they tried those techniques shown on youtube?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What's a video that shows the best Krav Maga?

I'm not the guy you quoted but

https://vimeo.com/106253576

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBjREHS1gA

quote:

And what % of ppl in your Krav Maga did it because they were somewhat patriotic Israelis?

At the gym I go to, exactly 0%

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Why do people go to Krav maga? do they seriously think that poking eyes out and weird side kicks that target the front of the opponents knee are a way better form of self defense than just punching the guy in the chin two or three times and then running for it? There are zero circumstances I can think of where I would trade 10 years of boxing for 10 years of krav maga.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

They just think "oh, soldiers must be good at fighting, i'll do that". They don't think it the whole way through.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Why do people go to Krav maga? do they seriously think that poking eyes out and weird side kicks that target the front of the opponents knee are a way better form of self defense than just punching the guy in the chin two or three times and then running for it? There are zero circumstances I can think of where I would trade 10 years of boxing for 10 years of krav maga.

Think Ninjas, except Jewish.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

The Fool posted:

I'm not the guy you quoted but

https://vimeo.com/106253576

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBjREHS1gA

At the gym I go to, exactly 0%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBjREHS1gA&t=47s

lmao you can't be serious.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I just l, krav maga. I don't necessarily believe anyone was dominated

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

KildarX posted:

Think Ninjas, except Jewish.

someone here called it Jew Jitsu once and that its practicioners were Krav Magicians and I've used both terms ever since. that person expanded my vernacular.

a girl i used to work with did it for a few years and used to talk about it. I do BJJ very badly so i always have these weirdo bruises on my forearms and occasionally turn up with a black eye from a spazzy new guy nailing me in the face. anyway she asked me about the large one on my forearm and i told her. she's like 'oh yeah i when i did krav we did knife defence and you do a circle block and hit the knife out and you get bruises'.

I've seen a few knife fights. they're really bad and above all really abrupt. I've had several people whose opinions I value (my BJJ coach, who's a black belt and former MMA fighter and just bad dude) tell me the way to deal with a knife is to run away as fast as possible.

I think the problem with poo poo like that is that krav teaches that its magic will help you to avoid a knife, nothing's going to help you to avoid a knife but not being in the proximity of a knife, so people will stay and try to defend and then wonder why they're suddenly feeling lightheaded and why the fingers of one hand won't respond and why its suddenly getting dark.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A pretty good aphorism I've heard about knives is that successfully defending yourself against a knife attack means you get to die in an ambulance instead of on the street.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

That looks like a lot of fun to me. :shrug: I would participate in that for sure, but I wouldn't implement it as my only training.

olylifter posted:

I've seen a few knife fights. they're really bad and above all really abrupt. I've had several people whose opinions I value (my BJJ coach, who's a black belt and former MMA fighter and just bad dude) tell me the way to deal with a knife is to run away as fast as possible.

I used to do Arnis (think Kali/Escrima) and the instructor said he trusted a few of us enough that he felt comfortable teaching us the aggressive side of knife fighting, instead of the self-defense side of it, i.e. the REAL poo poo. (supposedly when Remy Presas brought the style to the west he toned it down to sell it) I gotta say, I regret learning it because it is so very disturbing knowing how to kill someone and how easily I could do it if I had a knife in hand. But yes everyone who says run away very very fast when facing someone with a knife has the right attitude. As a plus, though, I appreciated the attention to detail of the Daredevil TV series' fight scenes that much more.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Omglosser posted:

I used to do Arnis (think Kali/Escrima) and the instructor said he trusted a few of us enough that he felt comfortable teaching us the aggressive side of knife fighting, instead of the self-defense side of it, i.e. the REAL poo poo. (supposedly when Remy Presas brought the style to the west he toned it down to sell it) I gotta say, I regret learning it because it is so very disturbing knowing how to kill someone and how easily I could do it if I had a knife in hand.

same but with my bare hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have always avoided fights and conflict after I learned how to do a toe hold which is an ancient technique wherein you figure four a man's foot and try to crack his toes aggressively

• Locked thread