Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Zaphod42 posted:

Dogs are wicked smart, some guy taught his dog like two dozen words and can even talk to him in simple sentences and the dog seems to get it.

They're also incredibly good at reading human expressions and body language . My dog can always tell when I'm taking her with me vs going out on my own, and sits there waiting by the door before I even grab the leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

They're also incredibly good at reading human expressions and body language . My dog can always tell when I'm taking her with me vs going out on my own, and sits there waiting by the door before I even grab the leash.

Not only are they really, really good at paying attention to body language and expressions, they're also the only animals outside of humans that will turn to look at what you're looking at if you're not making eye contact. So basically they understand indirect "pointing". They also realize when your eyes are closed, you can't see them. They did a really funny experiment with being denied a treat. Then the person closed their eyes. Almost without fail, the dog would creep up, steal the treat, and then try to look totally innocent when the person opened their eyes again.

I want to say that was in some PBS episode of NOVA or something that was all about dogs, but it could have been NatGeo.\

Dogs are awesome partners/friends to us humans.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flosofl posted:

Not only are they really, really good at paying attention to body language and expressions, they're also the only animals outside of humans that will turn to look at what you're looking at if you're not making eye contact. So basically they understand indirect "pointing". They also realize when your eyes are closed, you can't see them. They did a really funny experiment with being denied a treat. Then the person closed their eyes. Almost without fail, the dog would creep up, steal the treat, and then try to look totally innocent when the person opened their eyes again.

I want to say that was in some PBS episode of NOVA or something that was all about dogs, but it could have been NatGeo.\

I seem to remember that cats were part of either that experiment or a similar one only it ended up not working when the cats realized that they got a treat at the end regardless of their performance.

Fuckers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

flosofl posted:

birds do all these things too :smug:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah but most birds are terrifying. Present company excluded of course.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i wonder how many prostitutes the writer of this has fantasized about murdering

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

"I was singing and deer came over and chilled with me"

Where does he go to find these crunk rear end party deer?

Deer will do that sometimes, if they aren't hunted and if they're used to living near people. Mostly it just makes them a nuisance.

e:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

What a lovely burn.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Really? Every time I point my dog just stares at my finger like the floppy faced retard he is.

Seriously imagine thinking your dog understood the concept of work. gently caress me.

V V 6"7 alpha millionaire cuck Doctor is textbook stdh.txt character though.

MyChemicalImbalance has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Apr 7, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

From the mouth of babes. Take that femtards!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Really? Every time I point my dog just stares at my finger like the floppy faced retard he is.

Seriously imagine thinking your dog understood the concept of work. gently caress me.

V V 6"7 alpha millionaire cuck Doctor is textbook stdh.txt character though.

My dog was the same. I had to walk over to his ball after throwing it, pointing at it the whole time while followed, still watching my finger until it was on the ball. Then he was all "oh yeah I like playing with this thing!". Repeat until learned. Still dumb but now in other ways!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

"Because he took my name," she replied.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
You sure burned that imaginary 9 year old.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

I googled this a while back and dogs, cats, dolphins, elephants, and seals understand pointing behavior to some degree. Other animals may or may not, but primates surprisingly aren't on the list.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

FAROOQ posted:

You sure burned that imaginary 9 year old.

Sorry none of us liked your Reddit post, Farooq.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dogs are wicked smart, some guy taught his dog like two dozen words and can even talk to him in simple sentences and the dog seems to get it.

Not this guy though, this guy's a moron. So much cognitive bias. And lol at "I'm a scientist, I test with more vigor than most!"

He said the word "outside" to a dog and it shook its tail. Wowy zowy.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Yeah but most birds are terrifying. Present company excluded of course.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I... am not literally a bird.

I have some news for you.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Telemaze posted:

Sorry none of us liked your Reddit post, Farooq.

What's a Farooq?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wizard of Smart posted:

I have some news for you.

:psyboom:FUUUCK!:psyboom:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

FAROOQ posted:

What's a Farooq?

I dunno, what's a Farooq with you? eyy

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My cousin is a bird.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My cousin is a bird.

Literally a bird?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

RNG posted:

I googled this a while back and dogs, cats, dolphins, elephants, and seals understand pointing behavior to some degree. Other animals may or may not, but primates surprisingly aren't on the list.

Chimps can communicate via gazing while hunting. I guess that's slightly more direct than pointing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I communicate solely through unsolicited gazing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

hyperhazard posted:

Pretty much. They're good at routines and patterns ("If I come home in work clothes and it's still an hour until sunset we will go for a walk"), common words ("outside", "park", "treat" as opposed to "dinner" - growing up we couldn't say "walk" around my mum's dog in any context because he'd flip out and start getting excited and looking for his leash) as well as human body language and tone of voice. I can read journal articles or forum posts or nonsensical poems to the dogs I know, and if I do it in an excited voice with lots of hand gestures, they'll get excited too. Most domesticated animals will get happy if you talk to them in a cutesy voice, even if you're telling them they're a shitlord and you're going to turn them into a pie and eat them. Similarly, if you sound angry and put on a mad face, dog will be sad, even if you're telling them they look lovely and are very charismatic and erudite.

It is not shocking to learn that drug-sniffing dogs most of the time act off the body language of their handlers - if the handler acts suspicious of someone, the dog will target them, and be more likely to give a positive "this person has the drugs", false or otherwise.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Deer will do that sometimes, if they aren't hunted and if they're used to living near people. Mostly it just makes them a nuisance.
Will they come over if I sweetly sing "Turn down for what"?

The moral of the story is that he doesn't understand open relationships and feminism when he was 9 and continues to this day not understanding via making up poo poo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My dog doesn't poo poo on my shoulder.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gridlocked posted:

My dog doesn't poo poo on my shoulder.

Mine shits everywhere so she'd probably do that too

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Birds remember when they ruled the Earth, though. You can't trust them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kimbo305 posted:

Chimps can communicate via gazing while hunting. I guess that's slightly more direct than pointing.

Pretty sure Chimps are one of the few species which actually have not just self-awareness but theory of mind in others as well.

Plus loving Bonobos can drive go-karts and play arcade machines.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Copied from IoSM

Christo posted:

329k likes, 59k comments

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
What is the motivation for people wanting likes? I see that stuff all the time on my facebook feed. Like my dopey relatives will post something along the lines of "like and share this and you'll get rich soon". Why do these get started and what is their endgame?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Trebek posted:

What is the motivation for people wanting likes? I see that stuff all the time on my facebook feed. Like my dopey relatives will post something along the lines of "like and share this and you'll get rich soon". Why do these get started and what is their endgame?

For what it's worth, the facebook post also has this written in text.

quote:

PLEASE LIKE THIS! And comment!🍭
If you don't want Donald Trump to be our next President!!!🙌🙌
GO!!
Follow me > Callan Shea Brown < to stay updated!

I think the end goal is to amass a large group of followers and then sell the account to advertisers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trebek posted:

Fame and fortune?

That's the endgame for my twitter account.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Trebek posted:

So you can get a job making memes for a living? Some of my friends who work in social media constantly try to make poo poo go viral. It gets you noticed.

Plus some people really want to become minor internet celebrities and this is an easy way to do so.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Making memes for a living sounds like the kind of punishment you get in one of the lower levels of hell.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Making memes for a living sounds like the kind of punishment you get in one of the lower levels of hell.

It's one of those types of things that could be lucrative, might be something you enjoy on a basic level, but always turns uncomfortable when the conversation topic at a party of adult grown-ups turns to "What do you do for a living."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah I'd be hard-pressed not to laugh in someone's face if they told me their job was "I make memes" or "director of making things go viral". Hell, even saying you "work" in social media is worthy of a chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

Brendan took me out to a state park with plans to have a picnic. I really liked the idea, and I cooked lasagna and made lemonade for the occasion.

We made it to a nice clearing and he set out a blanket. It was a lot of fun and he had a great sense of humor. All was going well.

Three kids who couldn't have been older than 16 came walking by, and one of them stopped near us and looked at Brendan.

"What the gently caress are you looking at?" he asked.

Brendan said, "Nothing. Just leave us alone."

The three kids laughed, and the first one said, "What? You want us to leave you alone?"

He kicked at my lasagna container, sending it spraying into the nearby woods. He laughed again and said, "That's what you get."

Brendan and I stood up and I clenched my fists. "Hey," I said, "He said to quit it."

What followed happened so fast, that I'm not sure if I remember it in sequence. The same kid who had been talking all along said to Brendan, "What are you doing out here, you pussy?" and tapped Brendan's ankle with his foot. Brendan shoved the boy away, and they started to attack.

Brendan landed a good punch on one of them, but there were three of them, and they concentrated their attacks on him, as opposed to me. Brendan had an average build and could move, but three of these wiry teens would probably get the better of him.

Something that I hadn't told Brendan, that I haven't even told you, is that I'm a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. I had never had to use my training in the field, but I automatically knew exactly what to do.

I have to give Brendan credit – he gave them a good fight, but when I stepped in, it was over pretty quickly. Within 15 seconds, it was done. Two of them were on the ground. The other one was clutching his arm, which I might have broken, his mouth open wide in pain, but not uttering a single sound.

"Get the gently caress out of here," Brendan shouted, landing a vicious kick at one of them on the ground.

"Hey," I pulled Brendan back, "They've had enough. Let's just go."

Brendan said, "I don't think they've had enough."

The still-standing one said, "You loving bitch! What did you do that for?" and started to sob.

Brendan took a step towards him, but I held him back. He could have pulled away and continued to hurt these guys, but he turned back to me, helped me gather up the picnic things, and we went back to his car.

We were shaken (I think I was freaking out more than Brendan was) and we ended up having the date on my living room couch. Luckily, I had lasagna to spare in the fridge.

Brendan and I are still seeing each other, but who knows how things will work out?

• Locked thread