Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

What would a 3-man group find to do in BDO? I game with a couple guys once a week, we don't really have much time during the week to solo level. Is group PvE literally nonexistent in this game? Is PvP fun and balanced throughout the leveling process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

What would a 3-man group find to do in BDO? I game with a couple guys once a week, we don't really have much time during the week to solo level. Is group PvE literally nonexistent in this game? Is PvP fun and balanced throughout the leveling process?
(Almost) nothing (of practical value), yes (3-man preferred at least), no (but can be fun nonetheless).

Edit: Misread a bit.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 9, 2016

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Black Desert - Actual Servers Not Yet Implemented

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

kalstrams posted:

(Almost) nothing (of practical value), yes (3-man preferred at least), no (but can be fun nonetheless).

Edit: Misread a bit.

heh, your modified answer confuses me more- so there is group PvE content, but intended for larger groups? We did find it fun to 3-man the 5-man dungeons in WoW while underleveled, and basically the goal is to find content that 3 people have to work really hard to beat. We tried the same in FFXIV and the dungeons were a good challenge but there was wayyy too much solo questing in-between with 90% of the quests being "travel here to talk to x".

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Do not engage the potatoe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

heh, your modified answer confuses me more- so there is group PvE content, but intended for larger groups? We did find it fun to 3-man the 5-man dungeons in WoW while underleveled, and basically the goal is to find content that 3 people have to work really hard to beat. We tried the same in FFXIV and the dungeons were a good challenge but there was wayyy too much solo questing in-between with 90% of the quests being "travel here to talk to x".
There are no raids, there are no dungeons, as BDO neither is a theme park MMORPG, nor has been designed with lazy players in mind (i.e. (as the wording is admittedly lovely, there's metric ton of features for the lazy, just other kind of lazy) it's never good to tough it out just because you can). Specifically 5-man group PvE content are just the boss scrolls (you get 8 per week if you play every day, 2 per week if you play once; and whatever amount of them you get as loot or purchase off the marketplace) that can be done in 3-man group, but purely to your detriment and nothing else. It's not challenging, it takes longer and effectively rewards you less for not doing it as a group of five in particular. Other PvE content, what little of it there is, requires dozens to hundreds of players and is inaccessible to 3-man group playing fairly.

Huge swathes of the game will feel like a single player RPG. Quests often do not reward any level or skill experience - but when they do, the chances are it's "kill 5000 boars" that you would have been doing to get your level up either way. You can level faster in group, but it may not always be possible, especially once you reach the higher levels. Same boss scrolls I mentioned above will not be accessible until you reach level 50, which can take a while with your schedule.

Third World Reggin posted:

Do not engage the potatoe
Help out a newbie then, perhaps, instead of climbing into your own mouth?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 9, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You can do all combat content in the game in a party. There's no particular need to party up for the main questline, but it speeds murder quests along and it's fun to do things with friends. (I imagine that's a novel idea for some folks.) If you're going to grind levels, especially at lv. 45+, having a party helps on multiple levels. Don't bother yourself about playing optimally, just have fun.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
There are world bosses and Kzarka's in, so technically there's raid content but it's just shitloads of people lagging out and dying to aoe.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Shalhavet posted:

There are world bosses and Kzarka's in, so technically there's raid content but it's just shitloads of people lagging out and dying to aoe.

Sometimes the raid content is dragging world bosses onto parties just trying to do scroll bosses.

Teehee.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shalhavet posted:

Technically, there are no raid groups in this game hence there are no raids. :spergin: Either way, the few world boss we have, with almost no mechanics, especially in comparison to WoW and FFXIV, that often will have hundreds of players attacking boss and each other at the same time, are not really something their 3-man group can do.

Edit: Presuming that the idea is to do content just by themselves.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

kalstrams posted:

There are no raids, there are no dungeons, as BDO neither is a theme park MMORPG, nor has been designed with lazy players in mind (i.e. (as the wording is admittedly lovely, there's metric ton of features for the lazy, just other kind of lazy) it's never good to tough it out just because you can). Specifically 5-man group PvE content are just the boss scrolls (you get 8 per week if you play every day, 2 per week if you play once; and whatever amount of them you get as loot or purchase off the marketplace) that can be done in 3-man group, but purely to your detriment and nothing else. It's not challenging, it takes longer and effectively rewards you less for not doing it as a group of five in particular. Other PvE content, what little of it there is, requires dozens to hundreds of players and is inaccessible to 3-man group playing fairly.

Huge swathes of the game will feel like a single player RPG. Quests often do not reward any level or skill experience - but when they do, the chances are it's "kill 5000 boars" that you would have been doing to get your level up either way. You can level faster in group, but it may not always be possible, especially once you reach the higher levels. Same boss scrolls I mentioned above will not be accessible until you reach level 50, which can take a while with your schedule.
Help out a newbie then, perhaps, instead of climbing into your own mouth?

Thanks, this was really helpful.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Remy Marathe posted:

Thanks, this was really helpful.

My friend who joined with me complains occasionally because we don't do anything together. We're both pretty much playing mmo economy tycoon 2016, but I've assured him that once we inadvertently level up on accident from crafting horse clothes we can go out and grind areas together and have fun pvp. I might be a liar, I am not sure.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah, don't get me wrong because I like playing dress-up and decorating my virtual homes as much as the next guy (crafting not so much), but I'm already doing that in another game. For the weekly group play BDO sounds like a bad fit, just hope I can convince the guys of that. It's going to be hard what with the allure of being able to make lazy-eyed characters.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
BDO is the least multiplayer MMO I've ever played. In most cases you gain less exp in a group than solo, but there's no real hurry to level to the soft cap anyway. There's no group content, except for guild wars which are currently just for the lols. You can't trade items, cash, contribution points (for houses, etc) or horse and boat ownership and PvPing is completely pointless.

For the most part it feels like a "horde cash in your private vault and max out your gear because ???" simulator with tons of ways to make money- by yourself. And maxing your gear is an exercise in futility.

Now that I think of it, why am I playing this game? Oh poo poo, I'm just afk fishing 99% of the time and can't even give away my spoils when I quit.

9 out of 10.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 9, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Is the OP still accurate about who I ping for an invite? Not had much luck for a couple of days. I work odd hours though so not too surprising.

What's the best way to catch someone? Seems you need to be accepted to friend someone which is a pain in the rear end for officer stalking,

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first T5 Horse, BadDragonDotCom.

Very majestic, very sexual.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

Chewbot posted:

BDO is the least multiplayer MMO I've ever played. In most cases you gain less exp in a group than solo, but there's no real hurry to level to the soft cap anyway. There's no group content, except for guild wars which are currently just for the lols. You can't trade items, cash, contribution points (for houses, etc) or horse and boat ownership and PvPing is completely pointless.

For the most part it feels like a "horde cash in your private vault and max out your gear because ???" simulator with tons of ways to make money- by yourself. And maxing your gear is an exercise in futility.

Now that I think of it, why am I playing this game? Oh poo poo, I'm just afk fishing 99% of the time and can't even give away my spoils when I quit.

9 out of 10.

this is probably the most appealing description i've ever heard. i've always wanted an mmo where i can ignore other people, it'll be like my life but better.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Snatch Duster posted:

Don't let your dreams be dreams

Dreams are like fish, you gots to keep on reeling.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

Got my first T5 Horse, BadDragonDotCom.

Very majestic, very sexual.

That's a really pretty horse! :3: though I think naming them all the same thing is kinda boring.

I tried autolooping for the first time last night. My first few attempts with a cart were failures because it would end up getting stuck on something. Luckily I figured out a route that worked and I checked this morning and I hadn't DC'd nor been killed, which is awesome. None of the horses learned sprint or anything good but this is definitely my new favorite afk activity because I want to make more pretty horses! Time to get and enhance some wagon wheels maybe??

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a Pavlovian dog response simulator that doesn't murder your wallet.

9/10

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

How are you all gaining less exp as a group of 3. Do you group with mouth breathing retards who combined can't kill as fast as you?

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Hy_C posted:

How are you all gaining less exp as a group of 3. Do you group with mouth breathing retards who combined can't kill as fast as you?

Three goons together won't be able to decide if it's maximally efficient to pull together, pull separately, or finish this discussion while fishing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hy_C posted:

Hitting same things or being too far apart.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As a newbie I find it pretty funny that I would have to kill thousands of goblins to make the kind of cash I made while afk fishing last night. Now I just need to get a stronger rod and more inventory space so that I don't max out in a few hours.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unless someone is reliably making more than 1.2mil per hour on fishing, it swings back the other way eventually .

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

kalstrams posted:

Unless someone is reliably making more than 1.2mil per hour on fishing, it swings back the other way eventually .

Yeah, it's probably peanuts to some of the more advanced professions. I just know that the first time I went to the marketplace to buy something, like a simple piece of furniture, some food, or an upgraded tool I thought 'Holy poo poo, how can people afford these prices for even the most basic things?'. For an unskilled newbie, I think fishing really is key to getting your feet under you financially.

Also, I've fished up quite a few silver keys which have allowed me to get some Black Stones (or whatever) while out killing goblins that I would have otherwise missed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1.2 mil is baseline 'killed kobolds for an hour' on higher levels, unless they've made drastic changes last week is what I'm getting at. As far as trade skills themselves go, fishing should be one of the more lucrative I believe, though I haven't bother much with that side of the game, beyond reading a bit about it.

Edit: To be clear, I say this to give killing goblins another shot after 50, if/when you want some simple cash.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 9, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clocks posted:

That's a really pretty horse! :3: though I think naming them all the same thing is kinda boring.

I tried autolooping for the first time last night. My first few attempts with a cart were failures because it would end up getting stuck on something. Luckily I figured out a route that worked and I checked this morning and I hadn't DC'd nor been killed, which is awesome. None of the horses learned sprint or anything good but this is definitely my new favorite afk activity because I want to make more pretty horses! Time to get and enhance some wagon wheels maybe??

Thanks.

As for naming all my horses the same name, it's worth because I don't know what tier they are before they are named. If it is a poo poo horse I don't want, I put it up on the market place. I've sold around 70 BadDragonDotComs.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

kalstrams posted:

1.2 mil is baseline 'killed kobolds for an hour' on higher levels, unless they've made drastic changes last week is what I'm getting at. As far as trade skills themselves go, fishing should be one of the more lucrative I believe, though I haven't bother much with that side of the game, beyond reading a bit about it.

Edit: To be clear, I say this to give killing goblins another shot after 50, if/when you want some simple cash.

Things change a lot at high levels but under 30 or so where you can't really afford to deep ocean fish it's hard to get lots of money without just afk fish the eastern gate spot. That will easily get you way more than you need at that level since relic shards be flowin like waterfalls.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

what does this mean?

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

central posted:

what does this mean?

This

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

central posted:

what does this mean?

Go into mumble and ask what nation has the highest potatoe to gdp and then get a 30 minute talk from a man who claims anything close to him is probably a latvian potatoe

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

randombattle posted:

Things change a lot at high levels but under 30 or so where you can't really afford to deep ocean fish it's hard to get lots of money without just afk fish the eastern gate spot. That will easily get you way more than you need at that level since relic shards be flowin like waterfalls.

As someone who is about to start playing, I appreciate the non-sperg practical viewpoint.

So, is there any notable quality of life gain in buying the $50 pack? Is a horse flute hot poo poo? Should I care about these pets?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

Go into mumble and ask what nation has the highest potatoe to gdp and then get a 30 minute talk from a man who claims anything close to him is probably a latvian potatoe
Such is life.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

As someone who is about to start playing, I appreciate the non-sperg practical viewpoint.

So, is there any notable quality of life gain in buying the $50 pack? Is a horse flute hot poo poo? Should I care about these pets?
Pets are very useful if you want to kill stuff, flute is easily debatable.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Horse flute? no...You will want pets but they can be purchased separately at 9 bucks each.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
Three level 10, tier 1 pets are the best. Will pick up everything for you. It makes life so easy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Personally I think you're better off getting the $30 pack. I think pets just make looting easier, but I don't have one yet.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I picked this up because it looks up my alley, hopefully have time to play tomorrow. Can anyone give me opinions on the Wizard/Warrior?
Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I bought the $50 pack and while I don't regret it due to the couple days headstart and a few other things, I typically advise people to just get the $30 pack and spend the $20 you're "saving" on two pets of your choice. These things autoloot for you which is a huge quality of life thing that you will want.

List of worthwhile cash shop purchases is three pets (shared by all your characters on a server) and eventually the weight limit increases on whichever character you see yourself playing the most.