Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, I mean, the Witch King of Angmar is a General! He gets taken out almost immediately after someone reveals their advantage over him: That they are no man. After that, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, I mean, the Witch King of Angmar is a General! He gets taken out almost immediately after someone reveals their advantage over him: That they are no man. After that, welp.

Actually this is a super good point. I sort of forgot the Witch King of Angmar was even a thing.

EDIT: Alright, next question since it's coming up right now in a discord chat I have with my group: The Overlord can form more than one bond with the Harbinger, correct? His rules override the player's?

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 8, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

kalonZombie posted:

Actually this is a super good point. I sort of forgot the Witch King of Angmar was even a thing.

EDIT: Alright, next question since it's coming up right now in a discord chat I have with my group: The Overlord can form more than one bond with the Harbinger, correct? His rules override the player's?

Yes. The Overlord overrules the Giant and the Harbinger's Bond limits. Their Generals don't, though.

If I had thought about that a week ago I'd have added a clause about it to the Doom and Gloom move but oh well.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What's the giant? I didn't see it in the book.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So do the Squire (without the For Your People Purpose) and Heir each their own people/race not belong to the Dwarves, Orcs, etc.? Or is it that they're part of that race, just not as significant in that regard in comparison?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xelkelvos posted:

So do the Squire (without the For Your People Purpose) and Heir each their own people/race not belong to the Dwarves, Orcs, etc.? Or is it that they're part of that race, just not as significant in that regard in comparison?

The Heir is humans (although the humans of your setting might be weirder than ours). The Squire is whatever they want to be.

Banana Man posted:

What's the giant? I didn't see it in the book.

The Giant is the first expansion pack playbook for Fellowship. Kickstarter backers already have it, but I am waiting on some artwork for it before it will be available as a public release. I have several planned expansions for the game, some of which were funded by kickstarter and some which were not.

Funded expansions, which will be Coming Soon:

The Giant, which lets you play as super big, super strong, near-mythical hero. It introduces the concept and rules of Powerful Playbooks and includes an alternate build for The Harbinger as a Powerful Playbook instead of a basic playbook.

The Dragon, which lets you play as a champion of fire. It introduces a lot of new fire-related things for both the Fellowship and the Overlord to play with.

The Constructed, which lets you play as a being built for this purpose alone. It introduces a new Army option for the Overlord, The Machines.

The Remnant, which lets you play as a forgotten hero of the past. It introduces a few twists on Hope and Despair, including new What Is A _____? options for some of the other existing playbooks.

If all goes well I intend to release one of those a month for the next several months. Art holdups or problems during design may change that up but those first three are basically fully written and in a good place right now so I'm pretty confident.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

gnome7 posted:

The Heir is humans (although the humans of your setting might be weirder than ours). The Squire is whatever they want to be.

My group once brought up that while the Heir is nobility and a single kingdom, the Squire is in charge of the smallfolk. However in both the games I'm playing in (running one, being a dwarf in another), nobody is playing a Squire, so it's a moot point so far.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
This is the best game because my giant of spirit fused with the party's elf, resulting in a giant fashion model with eight arms named Ballroom Blitz. Mechanically he was just sitting on my shoulders, but it was still the best. Pretty sure I've never done that in any game ever.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I just went through character creation with my group, and our Giant of Spirit is actually a Briarbush Ent. His herb garden grows right out of his back!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
So I'm a big dumb idiot, could someone explain how the playbooks are supposed to be put together? I'm assuming you're supposed to print off two double-sided pages and fold them like a brochure, but then it's kinda weird to have two completely separate little booklets you need to look through for disparate information? Please send help

On a different note, I'm really happy with how much clearer the book's become since earlier drafts. Might be my imagination and nothing's really changed, but reading through it now I actually feel like I understand how it plays - particularly how the different moves work (and under what circumstances).

Quick question on Finish Them - it seems like it's assumed that you can gain an Advantage through specific narration as part of the move, letting you take out an opponent with one roll. I'm cool with that, but for folks who've actually played the game - do you find yourself having any difficulties with combat scenes? How often do you have to come up with excuses ("Oh, the master swordsman's blade dances through the air, making him dangerous to approach - Overcome to get past, then Finish?") to prevent everyone from just narrating their way to one-hit kills? Just looking for some advice on how you guys have run it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BinaryDoubts posted:

So I'm a big dumb idiot, could someone explain how the playbooks are supposed to be put together? I'm assuming you're supposed to print off two double-sided pages and fold them like a brochure, but then it's kinda weird to have two completely separate little booklets you need to look through for disparate information? Please send help

I'll put it this way: that seems to be the intent behind the OG design, but, frankly, I find it, personally, silly and just usually print them off on two single-sided sheets of paper with a staple in the top corner. Much, much, much easier to reference.

By OG, I mean Apocalypse World.

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 9, 2016

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Covok posted:

I'll put it this way: that seems to be the intent behind the OG design, but, frankly, I find it, personally, silly and just usually print them off on two single-sided sheets of paper with a staple in the top corner. Much, much, much easier to reference.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

edit: typowatch, page 106. Says "its", should be "it's". (Sorry!)

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 9, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

kalonZombie posted:

My group once brought up that while the Heir is nobility and a single kingdom, the Squire is in charge of the smallfolk. However in both the games I'm playing in (running one, being a dwarf in another), nobody is playing a Squire, so it's a moot point so far.

In ours the Squire is the niece of the Giant. So He's 7'3 and she's under 3'5" and plays volleyball.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Hey, I'm really loving the concept for the game. Great stuff, very different from most fantasy RPGs.

I'm making a Squire character for my first Fellowship game, but I'm running into a little problem.
I figured my character would be a Figment, basically a semi-sentient psionic being that is given form by the subconscious of others. Usually, they'd appear in dreams or visions or such, only in physical form in very rare cases. However, the Overlord has spread so much misery that people really needed someone to help, a friend. Which is to say, my character. They're everyone's imaginary friend!
Downside: Other Figments have started manifesting as people's nightmares. poo poo. While they can affect and be affected by the physical world now, they're still technically imaginary and follow some dream logic at times.

The problem here is that the rulebook says that as the Squire:
"You do not command lore like the others do. You have no people to call your own, no hold in this world. But you can make friends. People like you. People trust you. And friendship is the strongest power of all. Your People are not a culture or a society. Your People are the friends you make along the way."
We're not sure if the rules allow me to define my people so specifically and Command Lore about them. How should we handle this? We like the character concept, but we're not entirely sure how it would work within the rules.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bring it up with the dm. Tell him the concept and work together on his design, then get him to use them as enemies or npcs in other places. Or just ignore it, but it sounds like they aren't going to be your buds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Suleman posted:

Hey, I'm really loving the concept for the game. Great stuff, very different from most fantasy RPGs.

I'm making a Squire character for my first Fellowship game, but I'm running into a little problem.
I figured my character would be a Figment, basically a semi-sentient psionic being that is given form by the subconscious of others. Usually, they'd appear in dreams or visions or such, only in physical form in very rare cases. However, the Overlord has spread so much misery that people really needed someone to help, a friend. Which is to say, my character. They're everyone's imaginary friend!
Downside: Other Figments have started manifesting as people's nightmares. poo poo. While they can affect and be affected by the physical world now, they're still technically imaginary and follow some dream logic at times.

The problem here is that the rulebook says that as the Squire:
"You do not command lore like the others do. You have no people to call your own, no hold in this world. But you can make friends. People like you. People trust you. And friendship is the strongest power of all. Your People are not a culture or a society. Your People are the friends you make along the way."
We're not sure if the rules allow me to define my people so specifically and Command Lore about them. How should we handle this? We like the character concept, but we're not entirely sure how it would work within the rules.

Fellowship is super freeform so if you want it then you can make it happen, but I think the intent behind the squire is that they usually come from one of the cultures the other PCs defined. Gnome would probably say to ignore the rule if it makes for a more interesting story.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would say you can do that, but that you then have no ongoing say over Figment 'culture,' which belongs to the Overlord. Rather, you command lore over the folks you have bonds with as per the Squire rules.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say you can do that, but that you then have no ongoing say over Figment 'culture,' which belongs to the Overlord. Rather, you command lore over the folks you have bonds with as per the Squire rules.

This seems like the best approach to me as well. Perhaps "figments" are each individually unique as well. I'm sure if you asked several people about their imaginary friends they'd tell you many different things.

For instance, mine was a woolly mammoth named Woolly. He also happened to be represented by a stuffed animal but in my mind he was as big as a woolly mammoth should be. I've heard other people having various imaginary friends including people that were mirror copies of themselves, clowns (shudder), various animals, amorphous blobs that take shape of whatever they're having fun with at the time, and there's also the elephant man from Inside Out.

Maybe there could be a tag added by the Overlord whenever he uses figments. So, takes a normal threat and upgrades it. For instance, my Woolly. It would gain this special tag and that would then allow it do stuff that only a figment can do. So a giant woolly mammoth that happens to be a figment and can do things only figments can do, like walking through walls, or allowing someone to perceive that a wall was just smashed when it wasn't.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the help, people. Still haven't started our game yet, but that should become useful soon.
Speaking of the Squire, their companion friend list has a bunch of different characters, but I'm not entirely sure how they are accessed. Are they the friends mentioned in "A friend in need (1 Use). Use this to have someone helpful show up, right now"?
Is there some other way for the squire to access them?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Suleman posted:

Thanks for the help, people. Still haven't started our game yet, but that should become useful soon.
Speaking of the Squire, their companion friend list has a bunch of different characters, but I'm not entirely sure how they are accessed. Are they the friends mentioned in "A friend in need (1 Use). Use this to have someone helpful show up, right now"?
Is there some other way for the squire to access them?

I think it can be through many means. Remember that the companions listed under each playbook are the sort that are likely to be that characters companions. There are some listed in several that are not directly gained through the playbook.

For instance, under The Dwarf, the Power Suit is listed. There does not appear to be a direct way to gain this through the playbook. It is an available option for a Fellowship, however. As are the Zombies listed under the Squire. If you can't gain them directly through the playbook, consider they might be found on your journeys.

About "A Friend in Need." It does not say it has to be someone you have a bond with. Oddly enough, it doesn't even say you have to know them (they could be a friend of a friend or be someone who has heard of you and wishes to aid you, or a cousin that you only remember meeting once at a family reunion but who has always had your back even though you didn't know about it). It looks pretty open-ended to me, and that's a good thing.

So, it could be an Ogre that shows up to help. It might not be but it could be.

Likewise, you could gain those companions through use of that gear option, or through using your Fast Friends option (except that they aren't companions per the Squire rules so don't treat them as such, you do get to Command Lore about them so maybe when they do help you, their legend will be quite interesting).

Maybe I don't have it quite right but that's what I read.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've been wondering, JJBA was mention in the book. How would a party go about emulating that? I'd assume the race stuff is pretty much dropped such that each playbook is solely indicative of the character, and then deciding as a group as to how to handle stands and how they operate. I'm just curious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I've been wondering, JJBA was mention in the book. How would a party go about emulating that? I'd assume the race stuff is pretty much dropped such that each playbook is solely indicative of the character, and then deciding as a group as to how to handle stands and how they operate. I'm just curious.

There's a potential expansion that'll delve into this; it's not really represented yet.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Just wanted to say I finally picked this up after tragically missing out on the kickstarter. I'm loving what I'm seeing. All the stuff Gnome did for Dungeon World was by far my favorite parts of that system, and it's great to see that spirit live on in this game. Very excited for the future playbooks too.

I had an idea for a potential Overlord to throw at our gaming group, the kind of villain who the world actually thinks is just a stand up dude. Here's the stat representing it:

A Hero in Shining Armor: To the world, you are a hero. Those not directly affected by the things you do will go out of their way to justify your actions and perhaps even lend you aid.

This seems really powerful, but my takeaway from Overlord stats is that you should feel comfortable going crazy on them so that the Fellowship has a lot to fight against in seizing sources of power and so on. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 13, 2016

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

LordZoric posted:

Just wanted to say I finally picked this up after tragically missing out on the kickstarter. I'm loving what I'm seeing. All the stuff Gnome did for Dungeon World was by far my favorite parts of that system, and it's great to see that spirit live on in this game. Very excited for the future playbooks too.

I had an idea for a potential Overlord to throw at our gaming group, the kind of villain who the world actually thinks is just a stand up dude. Here's the stat representing it:

A Hero in Shining Armor: To the world, you are a hero. Those not directly affected by the things you do will go out of their way to justify your actions and perhaps even lend you aid.

This seems really powerful, but my takeaway from Overlord stats is that you should feel comfortable going crazy on how Overlord stats so that the Fellowship has a lot to fight against in seizing sources of power and so on. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

That is powerful but also a pretty good idea. It expands quite nicely on the example stat Charming from the book.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
If you take the Overlord custom No More Games, does An Offer You Can't Refuse also trigger when the player is taken out?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'd say no, because No More Games already gives you everything you'd want from An Offer You Can't Refuse and more. You take what you want and leave and the fellowship can do nothing about it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

How does the whole overlord ability where when they're defeated it reveals a hidden more evil threat work?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Banana Man posted:

How does the whole overlord ability where when they're defeated it reveals a hidden more evil threat work?

Think Saren and the Reapers from Mass Effect.

It's a common trope, you fight your nemesis and defeat them, and just as they die, they mutter something like "you fool, now there's nothing stopping them." And you reveal a new, mightier threat looming on the horizon.

You can foreshadow this throughout the game, with the Overlord amassing force to defend against a greater foe without care for the collateral damage. A few kingdoms may need to burn in order for the evil empire to stand strong against the true enemy. The overlord realised you can't save everyone and live in rainbow sunshine land when you face the ultimate threat.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Would it be a final boss sort of situation or is it more like you have another overlord character sheet all started up for the big reveal?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think it's essentially a way of surviving one death, yeah.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Would it be a final boss sort of situation or is it more like you have another overlord character sheet all started up for the big reveal?

I think it could be an either or situation. The Dark Sun Dungeons and Dragons novels set up the Dragon of Tyr as the big bad, but in truth he was sacrificing slaves to keep an evil who basically turned the world into the shithole it was. He was only physically there for less than a quarter of a single book in a five book series. On the flip side, you have entire tv shows where the man behind the man is in power for an entire season.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

madadric posted:

Think Saren and the Reapers from Mass Effect.

It's a common trope, you fight your nemesis and defeat them, and just as they die, they mutter something like "you fool, now there's nothing stopping them." And you reveal a new, mightier threat looming on the horizon.

You can foreshadow this throughout the game, with the Overlord amassing force to defend against a greater foe without care for the collateral damage. A few kingdoms may need to burn in order for the evil empire to stand strong against the true enemy. The overlord realised you can't save everyone and live in rainbow sunshine land when you face the ultimate threat.

Or the nemesis is discovered to be under the control of some horrible thing, and in killing them, you've broken the hold - but forced the hand of the controller, and now things escalate. Welcome to Season 2.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You could also, reading it directly, run it as a Threat to the World, and have it be a climatic final fight. That would make the Mastermind a first-form boss battle, with the other enemy being the TRUE FORM!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gonna play this with my game group next weekend. I'm really excited to be an evil Overlord

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I had a very successful first session of my game, which was doubly gratifying as I haven't had a chance to run anything in a while. The Fellowship found an encoded journal from the Overlord's past, and they have a new target in the forms of a Source of Power and an NPC who may have known the Overlord before he rose from the dead as an ethereal tyrant. Fun times!

I have a question about enemy stats, though, and it could be that I just missed this in the rules. When and how do enemy stats get damaged. Is this just up to the kind of stat (social/mental/physical) and the action being described/move being used?

I guess I'm just confused as to when and how damage is applied as player moves have more general effects on the whole.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So gnome, if I'm doing a set piece where my players are racing against the Overlord to reach a source of power, what would the best way to indicate failures of the Overlord's forces (with the overlord there in person) gaining ground? I was thinking of giving the second phase of the setpiece "armor", meaning the Overlord's forces have in some way trapped or altered the area so they have to have another go at it. The problem I'm thinking of with that, though, is that no other set piece example actually works like that and while the idea sounded good initially the more I think on it the more it sounds unfair.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

I have a question about enemy stats, though, and it could be that I just missed this in the rules. When and how do enemy stats get damaged. Is this just up to the kind of stat (social/mental/physical) and the action being described/move being used?
I'm not sure if it's the only way, but at least one way it happens is on a 7-9 on Finish Them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's one way. The other way is, as the Overlord chapter says, for the Overlord to use their damage-dealing cut on the NPCs where appropriate. so basically: if the party does something to neutralize the threat the stat represents, the Overlord is supposed to damage it as a cut, because that's the cut that follows.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Banana Man posted:

Another example might be the Usurper King Zant and Ganondorf from Twilight Princess. Up until the point that Zant mentions something about getting his power from someone else, he very much seems like the Overlord of the game (or it might be in the Arbiter's Ground when you first encounter the Mirror of Twilight, either way).

You could choose to drop or not drop subtle hints that the Overlord is not really the Overlord.

Another example from LOZ would be from the Oracles games. Onox and Veran seem to be the Overlord of Seasons and Ages respectively, but it turns out an old enemy is still in play.

Zelda games use the "that old evil guy is dead, here's a new evil guy" trope somewhat often.

Oh, some other examples might be Ghirahim from Skyward Sword, Agahnim from ALTTP, and Yuga from ALBW but all might be likened more to a General, especially after a certain point in the game, just one where the Overlord is not directly known at the start.

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

kalonZombie posted:

So gnome, if I'm doing a set piece where my players are racing against the Overlord to reach a source of power, what would the best way to indicate failures of the Overlord's forces (with the overlord there in person) gaining ground? I was thinking of giving the second phase of the setpiece "armor", meaning the Overlord's forces have in some way trapped or altered the area so they have to have another go at it. The problem I'm thinking of with that, though, is that no other set piece example actually works like that and while the idea sounded good initially the more I think on it the more it sounds unfair.

The Dragon set piece sort of works like that right now, so it isn't TOO unfair, but that does sound rough. Maybe make it something like, in phase 1, there's three different things the Overlord is doing to get the thing. For each one the players don't stop before some other thing happens, the Overlord's forces get 1 Armor in phase 2? Maybe even use an actual timer, like put a 20-30 minute timer on your phone and when that dings, phase 2 happens now.

Green Intern posted:

I guess I'm just confused as to when and how damage is applied as player moves have more general effects on the whole.

Everyone else answered this, but the main way in the core rules to damage things is on a 7-9 from Finish Them, where the damage represents your attempt to defeat them not quite going all the way, but still leaving a lasting change upon them. The other core way to do it is the Overlord's Cut, Damage Them. It is mainly used to damage the fellowship, but if they do something that sounds like it should hurt one of your guys, you can just damage them yourself. What counts as damage is open to whatever interpretation you need.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 19, 2016