Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cool and good posted:

and yet, I never see you in GBS

did... did you just try to own someone by saying they don't post in gbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy doesn't agree with me about playing a particular political map color = literally being a neofascist, and honestly its these kind of kuckservatives are ruining the forum. Catch me in the Let's Play forum where retarded people fawn over me and inflate my self-worth

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Knightsoul posted:

Too bad for you, you miss the experience to lead the strongest army of ww2.

No one has spoken out against the USSR's crimes yet, friend!

Does HOI4 accurately simulate the Katyn Massacre?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

This guy doesn't agree with me about playing a particular political map color = literally being a neofascist, and honestly its these kind of kuckservatives are ruining the forum. Catch me in the Let's Play forum where retarded people fawn over me and inflate my self-worth

Oh my god shut the gently caress up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Larry Parrish posted:

What

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was with you up until your first comma and then it slid off the rails real fast. :stare:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

No one has spoken out against the USSR's crimes yet, friend!

Does HOI4 accurately simulate the Katyn Massacre?

Ah yes, the so called "Katyn Massacre". Grover Furr has already dismissed those claims.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kavak posted:

The obvious answer is to play the inevitable Kaiserreich mod which will be genocide-free.

Not if you are Iron Guard Romania or Ottos. Also Nationalist France had a Jewish expulsion event (ironically Germans had a big chance to take them in or have them colonize Madagascar).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Not if you are Iron Guard Romania or Ottos. Also Nationalist France had a Jewish expulsion event (ironically Germans had a big chance to take them in or have them colonize Madagascar).

At least we actually represent these thing mechanically rather than glossing them over.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also Paradox gimme options to play as good guy Nippon and just liberate colonies as my puppet/allied nations and make the Greater East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere an alliance of its own instead of being a big imperialist rear end in a top hat

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Also Paradox gimme options to play as good guy Nippon and just liberate colonies as my puppet/allied nations and make the Greater East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere an alliance of its own instead of being a big imperialist rear end in a top hat

Since we were just talking about Kaiserreich...

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

You can actually do this though. Ignore China and wage war on the colonial powers after grabbing the focus that forms your own faction. One of the prizes you can demand from winning is creating allied puppets from seized territory, who automatically join your faction.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kavak posted:

Since we were just talking about Kaiserreich...

Hell yeah, the most fun I've had with Darkest Hour was in a Kaiserreich game as a democratic but expansionist Japan. It owned. I created the Co-Prosperity Sphere, then I joined the Entente and liberated Great Britain against the syndicalists.

Edit: oh and Delhi was my puppet, since Bartiya had previously succeeded in uniting the subcontinent.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

You can actually do this though. Ignore China and wage war on the colonial powers after grabbing the focus that forms your own faction. One of the prizes you can demand from winning is creating allied puppets from seized territory, who automatically join your faction.

Yeah, but you have to win first, which is a very rare thing in HoI (at least in the sense of actually ending a war). I really wonder how many people actually ever ended a campaign while at peace after a world war. I'm thinking single digits. Not percent, actually just single digit people, ever.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Depends who you're playing I guess. If you're up against the Western Allies, you reach a point where the logistics and effort of organizing overseas attacks become more tedious than intriguing. I remember in HoI2 there was a peace with the UK event that felt a bit lame (pretty sure you just got Portsmouth and maybe a few of the colonies and I always preferred to release England, Scotland, Wales and eventually invade Ireland and leave the exiled United Kingdom to fight an eternal war. Hell even in my Kaiserreich game, there was an event that didn't fire until 1949 that mentions a leader who dies in 1940 as if he's alive, simply because it requires you to be at peace and I never was technically at peace, even when there weren't active operations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

did... did you just try to own someone by saying they don't post in gbs?

no... no i did not

(I like charles and regencies)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Randarkman posted:

That would make for dull MP.

I don't play mp so boo loving hoo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And I don't care about HoI so why should paradox spend time developing it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Deporting the Jews to Madagascar or another French African colony was actually kind of the nazi plan for the Jews before they kind of got the idea to just kill them all, in part because of the grisly success of the euthanasia program for handicapped people, the imprisonment of Polish Jews in ghettos and the conquest of new Jewish lands in eastern Europe (the Ukrainian portion of the Pale of Settlement).

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, well I do.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I haven't played any HOI. What's stopping the Germany and Russia players from allying (or NAPing for real) and just stomping everyone else?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I've only played a few HoI MP games but my impression is that most have house rules designed to make sure some reasonable version of World War 2 develops. For example, the last one I played banned human players in China because it was impossible for Japan to be any kind of viable threat to the Western Allies with an organized Chinese player playing with a purpose. I can't recall any related to the Germans or Soviets specifically though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cool and good posted:

I haven't played any HOI. What's stopping the Germany and Russia players from allying (or NAPing for real) and just stomping everyone else?

Well our guy who's looking to play Germany is a crazy, arrogant megalomaniac and would likely never not attack the Soviet Union so we have that solved. Most of us look forward to fighting him, he's also pretty good at Paradox games and usually goes for a really aggressive playstyle.

We're 5 and are going to be playing the US, Britain(me because no one else wanted Britain, I originally wanted the US, and I figured that somebody has to be Britain), Germany, Japan and the Soviet Union. The US and Soviet players are the most inexperienced at paradox games, and our Japanese player is the best at EU4, and I already described the Germany player, I'm the only one of us to really have played HoI games before though (DH and HoI2)

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 9, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Randarkman posted:

Well our guy who's looking to play Germany is a crazy, arrogant megalomaniac and would likely never not attack the Soviet Union so we have that solved. Most of us look forward to fighting him, he's also pretty good at Paradox games and usually goes for a really aggressive playstyle.

We're 5 and are going to be playing the US, Britain(me because no one else wanted Britain, I originally wanted the US, and I figured that somebody has to be Britain), Germany, Japan and the Soviet Union. The US and Soviet players are the most inexperienced at paradox games, and our Japanese player is the best at EU4, and I already described the Germany player, I'm the only one of us to really have played HoI games before though (DH and HoI2)

To be fair, in that configuration the Axis is gonna win 9 out of 10 times if they prioritize attacking Russia in the Pacific theater.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I actually enjoy playing Britain in HOI, sorta. The only real issue is that you constantly feel like you're overextended since you have to defend a massive empire, but when playing against the AI you almost never have to actually fight the Japanese in Burma, meaning your only real land war outside of continental Europe should be against the Italians in North Africa. In previous HOI2 incarnations this was generally pretty manageable, we'll see how that theater works out in HOI4.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair, in that configuration the Axis is gonna win 9 out of 10 times if they prioritize attacking Russia in the Pacific theater.

Yeah, well I guess we'll see when the time comes. I have a real feeling that our German player is going to seriously overextend himself and I plan to be barking orders at the US guy to give me and Russia all of the lend lease. That is if we get historical alliances at all of course.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Well yeah dude. It's completely obvious why people want to play Germany more than other nations, but people in this thread act like it's buying a signed copy of Mein Kampf off of Ebay while jerking off in a Waffen-SS uniform

People play Germany because it's the strongest nation that is on the offence instead of the defense, and because they get to be the big man on campus until the Allies are finally unshackled by events

:agreed: More poking fun of Paradox Plaza wannabe Ubermenschen, less "I cried when I saw a guy playing as Germany in HOI4" wankfest, please.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
well, since something awful forums user gantolandon asked

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Drone posted:

Hell yeah, the most fun I've had with Darkest Hour was in a Kaiserreich game as a democratic but expansionist Japan. It owned. I created the Co-Prosperity Sphere, then I joined the Entente and liberated Great Britain against the syndicalists.

Edit: oh and Delhi was my puppet, since Bartiya had previously succeeded in uniting the subcontinent.

Haha yeah I did the same but also managed to ally Russian Empire instead so I made a big block with them and the PSA against the Internationale

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

I actually enjoy playing Britain in HOI, sorta. The only real issue is that you constantly feel like you're overextended since you have to defend a massive empire, but when playing against the AI you almost never have to actually fight the Japanese in Burma, meaning your only real land war outside of continental Europe should be against the Italians in North Africa. In previous HOI2 incarnations this was generally pretty manageable, we'll see how that theater works out in HOI4.

Yeah, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is simultaneous combat in different theaters. Hoi2 and hoI3 I was mostly forced to shut down combat operations in one area if I had to command operations in a different one, simply because it was too difficult to keep an eye on things in two places at once. With the battleplan system you can give one theater a rough outline of what you want to do and go micromanage somewhere else and come back without your army outmaneuvered in the meantime.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

That's not actually what King was saying, though.

No assertion that he thought Marx was right, just that simulating Marx made a fun game. (Well, insofar as Vicky 2's economic system is fun...)

Uh, that's the whole analytical tool part. You don't have to agree with Marx at all to find Marxist interpretation of history (or especially literature) useful.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eskaton posted:

Uh, that's the whole analytical tool part. You don't have to agree with Marx at all to find Marxist interpretation of history (or especially literature) useful.
Useful for a game isn't really the same thing as being useful as a description of reality.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
marxists are taking over the thread and destroying it just like in every country they took over

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bitter Mushroom posted:

marxists are taking over the thread and destroying it just like in every country they took over

So pretty soon we will be defeating fascism and going to the moon? Heck yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

Useful for a game isn't really the same thing as being useful as a description of reality.

Though in this case it does.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

has anyone talked about how awesome a LOTR mod would be for HoI4? Because it would be awesome.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

cool and good posted:

They had objectives that required them to defeat each other in hoi3, I think after an expansion. There was an Unholy Alliance button where you could do just that, though, but I think it pissed japan off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

has anyone talked about how awesome a LOTR mod would be for HoI4? Because it would be awesome.

How would that even work. LOTR is obviously Vicky territory.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

How would that even work. LOTR is obviously Vicky territory.

It's the whole "huge battle that will decide the fate of middleearth" thing. Like, parts of it just wouldn't work and would have to be tossed. Sauron would never surrender, Frodo and the ring would be a silly mechanic, ect, but LOTR's is a massive war that I can see working in a game like HoI.

I just want to make my army of uruk-hai, okay

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It's the whole "huge battle that will decide the fate of middleearth" thing. Like, parts of it just wouldn't work and would have to be tossed. Sauron would never surrender, Frodo and the ring would be a silly mechanic, ect, but LOTR's is a massive war that I can see working in a game like HoI.

I just want to make my army of uruk-hai, okay

There's a Medieval 2 Total War mod for it that's pretty cool. I keep seeing events about the location of the One Ring but I don't know what happens if the good guys capture it or what advantage it gives to the bad guys, but the rest of the mod is really cool. Sauron is the Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's the CK2 mod, not sure if it's updated for Conclave yet though.