Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm looking forward to seeing next week's, because in the manga, those chapters were a clusterfuck and difficult to make heads or tails of. Go read the chapters after the next two episodes and you'll see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i'm really digging the softer art style combined with the part 1 and 2 colour shifts and dramatic close ups. it's a real testament to DavidPro that each season has a very distinct feeling.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm sorry to see the grandpa go. He seemed like a nice guy and I liked his interactions with his daughter and grandson. I knew the death was coming, since last week I went and watched the "Duwang" sub version of ep 1 after the normal one, and they put in a mention of the death as a spoiler... (So those were - mostly, but not entirely, I presume on account of the added spoiler - the famous Duwang lines, eh? I preferred the fake Duwang subs some people did of Phantom Blood; they were funny. Or maybe it was just that Dio was in them.)

I'm beginning to wonder if Josuke is going to dethrone Joseph as my favourite JoJo. I didn't think it was possible, and yet, Josuke is a really nice guy with a fun Stand and some great poses. Oh, and great hair.

Speaking of poses, I really love the ED sequence. I was not expecting it to be Savage Garden, but it works well and the animation is stylish. I'd be willing to bet that the ED will end up being longer later on. Maybe there are characters who have yet to be introduced who'll be added in later. The OP sequence looks amazing: I don't think I like the song in and of itself, but with that animation it's perfect.

Jotaro being in the series makes a lot of sense. Battle Tendency had Speedwagon and Erina still around, and Stardust Crusaders had Joseph. There's a pattern of having at least one character from a previous part of the story around in a helpful capacity. Jotaro seems to work well in that role. I hope we'll get to see him introduced to Josuke's mother at some point. I want to see if she'll be weirded out by having one of Josuke's relatives from his dad's side of the family around.

Angelo met with a fate worse than death, but he had it coming. I think I had previously heard something about Josuke being kind but having at some point consigned a guy to a fate worse than death in such a manner, so this is clearly it, but really, this guy murdered his granddad and was the scum of the earth. It wasn't as if he was being randomly nasty to Angelo.

Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable obviously have a lot of tone differences, and I expect they'll only become more pronounced, but the first few eps surprised me by having the having the feel of the threat from the villain of the week be so similar. It still had that horror movie feel. Rather than it being just some flunky of Dio's it was a random horrible murderer, but the pattern of having to defeat a versatile stand was there. I take it that the crime scene from the start of ep 1 was some other villain and not Angelo (because I don't know what was up with that fuzzy black stuff at the end of the arm and I don't think Angelo's stand could do that), so there's that to be resolved later, too.

I really miss Polnareff, and to a lesser extent the rest of the Crusaders. DiU plainly has its own appeal, and plenty of it, but it's never going to have that feeling of a band of jerks travelling all over the world to defeat Dio, unless I'm sorely mistaken about the story taking place only in Morioh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, avoid Duwang Subs if they keep getting made because anything that can be used to foreshadow future events will do. They're only lifting Duwang from the manga where the lines match up. They're only really "funny" if you've read Duwang anyway.

Polly is great, but the BroJo for this part is introduced next week and he's probably* the best BroJo in all of JoJo as a whole.

* - Depends on what role you consider a certain character to have much later on really.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The "fuzzy black stuff" was censored gore.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Van Dine posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Josuke is going to dethrone Joseph as my favourite JoJo. I didn't think it was possible, and yet, Josuke is a really nice guy with a fun Stand and some great poses. Oh, and great hair.

I really miss Polnareff, and to a lesser extent the rest of the Crusaders. DiU plainly has its own appeal, and plenty of it, but it's never going to have that feeling of a band of jerks travelling all over the world to defeat Dio, unless I'm sorely mistaken about the story taking place only in Morioh.

I think Josuke is going to become a lot of people's favorite. If Joseph was your favorite up until now, Josuke is... I don't know how to say much without spoiling things in some way even by being very vague, but Josuke is just way better. He's a bit vain, sort of ridiculous, but incredibly loyal and kind and has a sort of depth of character that makes it really hard to dislike him.

Also, that's coming from someone whose exposure to him in advance was basically seeing art of him and thinking "there's absolutely no way I'm going to like this kid." He's hands down my favorite JoJo, DIU is hands down my favorite part, and if what you're saying about what you like about SDC is what I think it is... you're going to love DIU as well, because it hits that same sort of mark that makes SDC endearing (bros fightin' Stands but also just bein' bros)

Sorry for being, like, annoyingly effusive about it but it makes me really happy to see new people getting into DIU. The anime thus far has 100% captured what I've been hoping for.

And yeah, Josuke's right, Pol's great (Pol/Kakyoin/Jotaro as a trio is what makes SDC for me) but obviously I'm required to stan for this part's BroJo, too. People are gonna looooove him and if they don't I don't want to know them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I think Josuke is going to become a lot of people's favorite. If Joseph was your favorite up until now, Josuke is... I don't know how to say much without spoiling things in some way even by being very vague, but Josuke is just way better. He's a bit vain, sort of ridiculous, but incredibly loyal and kind and has a sort of depth of character that makes it really hard to dislike him.

Also, that's coming from someone whose exposure to him in advance was basically seeing art of him and thinking "there's absolutely no way I'm going to like this kid." He's hands down my favorite JoJo, DIU is hands down my favorite part, and if what you're saying about what you like about SDC is what I think it is... you're going to love DIU as well, because it hits that same sort of mark that makes SDC endearing (bros fightin' Stands but also just bein' bros)

Sorry for being, like, annoyingly effusive about it but it makes me really happy to see new people getting into DIU. The anime thus far has 100% captured what I've been hoping for.

And yeah, Josuke's right, Pol's great (Pol/Kakyoin/Jotaro as a trio is what makes SDC for me) but obviously I'm required to stan for this part's BroJo, too. People are gonna looooove him and if they don't I don't want to know them.

Josuke is also my favorite JoJo, and one thing we're already seeing is he's a synthesis of the best parts of previous JoJos. He's kind and thoughtful, like Jonathan. He's quick-witted and tricky, like Joseph. And he's cool under pressure, with a bit of a wild streak, like Jotaro. He has all these qualities, but at the same time feels very much like his own person, with unique personality traits and flaws.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hoobajoo posted:

Josuke is also my favorite JoJo, and one thing we're already seeing is he's a synthesis of the best parts of previous JoJos. He's kind and thoughtful, like Jonathan. He's quick-witted and tricky, like Joseph. And he's cool under pressure, with a bit of a wild streak, like Jotaro. He has all these qualities, but at the same time feels very much like his own person, with unique personality traits and flaws.

Most importantly he feels like an actual teenager, it makes him much more relateable than the other JoJos up to this point.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
It's certainly been awhile that i've been that loving hyped while watching anime!

Anybody happen to know what kind of budget this show has?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Best JoJo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This really reminds me of that picture of Hideki Kamiya with a biker jacket for some reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Serperoth posted:

This really reminds me of that picture of Hideki Kamiya with a biker jacket for some reason.

Another man who wants to be hardcore but his mom won't let him

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm doing myself a favor and reading the manga but only a few volumes, then I wait for the anime to get to where I stopped and start all over again. It keeps events coming up in the anime fresh in my mind so I can appreciate their adaptation while not completely spoiling myself.

I'm only a few arcs ahead of the anime right now but I've already got Josuke at equal standing with Joseph in my book.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Josuke is my 2nd favorite jojo so I hope you all come to love him like the good grunkle he is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a forums poster for every single JoJo ?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

jivjov posted:

Is there a forums poster for every single JoJo ?

I've yet to spot Gappy.

And Josuke in this thread doesn't count. You get one JoJo only :colbert:

Is there a Giorno either? I've yet to see him.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 9, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fun fact: Josuke, Koichi, Okuyasu, and Jotaro throwing their hands up like that in the OP is based off of the cover to Pearl Jam's Ten.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

And Josuke in this thread doesn't count. You get one JoJo only :colbert:

Shhhhhh

Funky Valentine posted:

Fun fact: Josuke, Koichi, Okuyasu, and Jotaro throwing their hands up like that in the OP is based off of the cover to Pearl Jam's Ten.

More pedantically, it's probably based on volume 41, which in turn, is probably based on Ten.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 9, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOMpSVwTjU0

People do not waste time, drat.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Lepecard posted:

It's certainly been awhile that i've been that loving hyped while watching anime!

Anybody happen to know what kind of budget this show has?

Budgets aren't really a factor in anime; every show is funded by a production board made up of so many companies that have a stake in the anime performing well that there's never a question of having enough money, on top of the fact that animators make absolutely jack and poo poo for pay. What really makes the difference is how quickly and efficiently the studios are able to put together an episode that doesn't look like poo poo, which is largely a matter of how well the director can, well, direct the staff.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Budgets are important, but less so than everyone makes them out to be. Like you said it's mostly a matter of time management, and having a more generous budget plus time plus a well run production means things get done right, presumably.

I think the animation issues with the end of part 3 are really a symbol of lack of time by the end of the the run. It's all poo poo that gets fixed on the BRs anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The One Punch Man staff directly correlated the quality of that show to how much the staffers truly loved OPM. They said they had less money than people imagined having seen the show.

Would be shocked if the people david use love JoJo any less than than Madhouse's people loved OPM.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The One Punch Man staff directly correlated the quality of that show to how much the staffers truly loved OPM. They said they had less money than people imagined having seen the show.

Would be shocked if the people david use love JoJo any less than than Madhouse's people loved OPM.

Absolutely. It was clear they had a tight budget in the first season but their love of the material shinned through 100%

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god I just noticed the street sign in the OP.

It's the god-drat little things. The best is still the rubber glove being missing from the rail, though.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/darrenhayes/status/718702028055121920

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hell yeah.

One of us, one of us, unless he likes Kakyoin, then he's a dork, one of us, one of us.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal PM'd me to tell you all that he thinks that the OP and ED are okay but the episode sucked.
He lost the April Fools thing and can't post, I think.

That's all.
If you want to know why he thinks it sucked, consider PM'img him.

PM'ing him pictures of poops

Baal is a bastard man.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I agree, so I sent him a picture of DIO pissing his pants.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Baal PM'd me to tell you all that he thinks that the OP and ED are okay but the episode sucked.
He lost the April Fools thing and can't post, I think.

That's all.
If you want to know why he thinks it sucked, consider PM'img him.

PM'ing him pictures of poops

I'll kick his rear end

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/sailorbee/status/718813749834964992
from Crunchyroll's social media manager

I see a lot of people saying Crunchyroll is loving UP the subs translating Crazy Diamond as Shining Diamond and stuff from last season like J. Geil as Centerfold or Vanilla Ice as Cool Ice, but please know they aren't trying to censor your anime or whatever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's nice to hear that Warner did their best for the copyrights but I don't genuinely think anyone worth listening to thought the name changes were something they chose to do.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, no one in this thread has been like that at all, I've just seen a lotta scuttlebutt around the internet saying stuff like "Come on, Crunchyroll, REALLY?" like it's something they chose to do

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town might be my favorite OP so far, especially since it feels a lot like Bloody Stream in the same way Josuke feels like Joseph.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's so stupid how people are upset about Shining Diamond, it's as elegant a copyright dodge as you can get in that the name remains good and still references its namesake quite well.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Has anyone ever read Corto Maltese?

I had that vibe from Jotaro that he was channeling the character in part 3, but I feel even more in part 4, what with him being disclosed as a sailor.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they changed it because the tumblrinas that have infested jojos because they think its gay (its super manly, wtf?) would have been triggered by crazy diamond and called it ableist

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that hurt to write

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's so stupid how people are upset about Shining Diamond, it's as elegant a copyright dodge as you can get in that the name remains good and still references its namesake quite well.

I'm "upset" about it only so far as I'm upset that we live in a world where laws like this exist.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I understand why they were changed. I'm still upset about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I figured they just didn't bother asking since that'd be a lot of effort, but it's nice to see they actually did. I don't really mind the name changes when the result still gives you some idea of the original, it's just ones like Zipper Man that get head scratching.

• Locked thread